Thread: Power Cleans!

Robbyrh10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robbyrh10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robbyrh10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robbyrh10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robbyrh10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robbyrh10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robbyrh10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robbyrh10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robbyrh10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robbyrh10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robbyrh10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Thumbs up Power Cleans!

Wow! I started incorporating power cleans into my leg day and it seems to have helped all aspects of my training. Ive gone up in squats, leg press, and hacks. Woo hoo....ok im done

SteveCNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteveCNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteveCNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteveCNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteveCNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteveCNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ahhh, the endless benefits from the basic movements.
    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence.

Kicks like Chuck Norris gogotheviking's Avatar
    gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    After incorporating power cleans my penor grew 3 inches and i had a promotion at work (non penor related)

True story!
    PSN gamertag: gogoprovost

DYSFUNCTIONAL strength I dont work at Ballys's Avatar
    I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Robbyrh10 View Post
    Wow! I started incorporating power cleans into my leg day and it seems to have helped all aspects of my training. Ive gone up in squats, leg press, and hacks. Woo hoo....ok im done
    cool what does your sets/reps look like?
    If what I see does not amaze me, I am not looking hard enough.

The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know.

My YouTube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ajcharmoz

SteveCNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteveCNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteveCNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteveCNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteveCNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteveCNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    its testaments like this that further PROVE the basics of lifting (bench, squat, deadlift, cleans, pull/chin ups, dips and curls) have the best carryover for any type of training
    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence.

rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SteveCNY View Post
    its testaments like this that further PROVE the basics of lifting (bench, squat, deadlift, cleans, pull/chin ups, dips and curls) have the best carryover for any type of training
    Did you put curls in a list of the basic lifts? The rest i agree with, but curls? Chins and dips have arms covered.....

Originally Posted by rugbyman12 View Post
    Did you put curls in a list of the basic lifts? The rest i agree with, but curls? Chins and dips have arms covered.....
    chins hit the biceps to a degree. i feel straight barbell curls are a good mass builder along with the other lifts.

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Barbell curls are one of the most basic exercises there are. Like d1 said befor somewhere over the years compounds got confused with the "THE BASICS" in general. Certain isos such as curls, calve raises, etc ARE part of the basics(and have been for decades) and should be administered into any basic bodybuilding program.

MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Robbyrh10 View Post

yay!
    Congratz bud

Cleans are great but I never do them now as I hurt my back doing them.

Yay!

TJonesd2 is just really nice. (+1000) TJonesd2 is just really nice. (+1000) TJonesd2 is just really nice. (+1000) TJonesd2 is just really nice. (+1000) TJonesd2 is just really nice. (+1000) TJonesd2 is just really nice. (+1000) TJonesd2 is just really nice. (+1000) TJonesd2 is just really nice. (+1000) TJonesd2 is just really nice. (+1000) TJonesd2 is just really nice. (+1000) TJonesd2 is just really nice. (+1000)
    curls are obviously the most basic of arm movements when you think about it... probably the most popular ever....

MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yea I hate it when people say 'learn the basics first' then they say 'Like squats'

yeah - squats are really basic

mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs down

not this **** again...

rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by DiamondDelts View Post
    Barbell curls are one of the most basic exercises there are. Like d1 said befor somewhere over the years compounds got confused with the "THE BASICS" in general. Certain isos such as curls, calve raises, etc ARE part of the basics(and have been for decades) and should be administered into any basic bodybuilding program.
    I guess i did misinterperet that. And it also depends on goals, bodybuilding related or powerlifting for example.

I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MattyG View Post
    Yea I hate it when people say 'learn the basics first' then they say 'Like squats'

yeah - squats are really basic
    the most basic functions of the human body:

-squatting
    -bending
    -lifting
    -twisting
    -pushing
    -pulling

Originally Posted by I dont work at Ballys View Post
    the most basic functions of the human body:

-squatting
    -bending
    -lifting
    -twisting
    -pushing
    -pulling
    yes, but the squat is a pretty complicated movement and very easy to mess up- that's what I was saying

Originally Posted by MattyG View Post
    yes, but the squat is a pretty complicated movement and very easy to mess up- that's what I was saying
    its one of the first things i teach a new client.

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by I dont work at Ballys View Post
    its one of the first things i teach a new client.
    Good - the sooner the better.
    I just don't think it should be referred to as a basic lift as that is misleading IMO makes people think- 'I can just throw a load of weight on and .....'
    before you know it every gym is full of 1/4 inch ROM squatters

BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DiamondDelts View Post
    Good post! And I got that same exact shirt as you in that pic except I dont fit into it as tight lol.

snitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) snitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) snitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) snitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) snitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) snitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) snitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) snitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) snitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) snitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) snitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey man, that's awesome that cleans have helped your progress so much!

On a side note, I also just started doing them last week; great workout, took a lot out of me to do them AFTER squats and SL-deads...

But the thing that sucks is, for some reason both of my elbows and forearms have been in terrible pain ever since; I can't even shake a bottle of gatorade without feeling pain in the elbows. I'm 90% sure it's due to the cleans, maybe I was performing them incorrectly....?

Don't mean to whore your thread, but any ideas from anyone on this?

-Snitz
    USAF A-T-C

Originally Posted by snitz View Post
    Hey man, that's awesome that cleans have helped your progress so much!

On a side note, I also just started doing them last week; great workout, took a lot out of me to do them AFTER squats and SL-deads...

But the thing that sucks is, for some reason both of my elbows and forearms have been in terrible pain ever since; I can't even shake a bottle of gatorade without feeling pain in the elbows. I'm 90% sure it's due to the cleans, maybe I was performing them incorrectly....?

Don't mean to whore your thread, but any ideas from anyone on this?

-Snitz
    I'd guess you're pulling with your arms, probably a form error. A video would be good to see. Also when your putting the weight down, make sure you dont drop and catch it, thus jarring your arms

snitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) snitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) snitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) snitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) snitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) snitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) snitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) snitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) snitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) snitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) snitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'd guess you're pulling with your arms, probably a form error. A video would be good to see. Also when your putting the weight down, make sure you dont drop and catch it, thus jarring your arms
    Damn, your description sounds EXACTLY what I've been doing. I'll check youtube and google for some videos, I haven't been able to find any, so I was just going on a small animated .GIF I saw somewhere

-Snitz
    USAF A-T-C

Damn, your description sounds EXACTLY what I've been doing. I'll check youtube and google for some videos, I haven't been able to find any, so I was just going on a small animated .GIF I saw somewhere

-Snitz
    http://www.aceathlete.com/hatch/video.htm

That should get you on your way, from the very basics to the most advanced.

J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

-Snitz
    Maybe this'll help a bit:

Originally Posted by J.L.C.

The lift should start with the bar on the floor, positioned over top of where the toes meet the foot. Hips slightly higher than knees with a strong arch in the back, and shoulders in front of the bar.

The lift from the floor to approximately mid-thigh is called the 1st pull. It is done entirely with the legs. Thinking about 'pushing the floor away' helps, similar to a leg press, slowly press the floor away and 'pull the knees back', the angle of the hips and lower back should not change.

The 2nd pull starts at just above mid-thigh - this is where you explode. Triple extension - ankle, knee, hip - is the goal of this phase. It's like an explosive jump-shrug once the bar gets to mid-thigh.

The 2nd pull ends when the body hits triple extension and the shoulders are shrugged - the arms should still be straight at the end of the 2nd pull. Do not pull with your arms, power cleans are not jumping-upright-row-reverse-curls!

The force of the triple extension sends the bar up. As the bar rises the lifter 'whips' their elbows under the bar and 'racks' it across the shoulders. This is difficult to do if you have pulled the bar up with the arms.

Power cleans are pulled higher than squat cleans, usually to give the legs a break - this is why lighter weights are used for power cleans.

Here's how I do them:

Lots of stretching of the forearm flexors, triceps, and shoulder girdle (dislocates) will help with the mobility and will make the rack position more comfortable. Practicing the lift and positions with an empty bar is a great way to develop the flexibility - keep at it

Registered User steelgrayscooby's Avatar
    steelgrayscooby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelgrayscooby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelgrayscooby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelgrayscooby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelgrayscooby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelgrayscooby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelgrayscooby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelgrayscooby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelgrayscooby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelgrayscooby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelgrayscooby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks, that really helped me. I've never been taught how to properly clean. Your description and videos were really helpful.
    Originally Posted by ForceLineBacker:
    I have body and building and alcohol but I no maturbate because I no want lose my site then i cant see what wieght I do

X2 , now if only my F**king elbows and forearms would stop hurting from earlier =(
    USAF A-T-C

bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks for the awesome instructions and videos J.L.C., I'm looking to incorporate the power clean more into my workouts.