farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Squatting 2x body weight to do Depth Jumps

We all know that a lot of people put requirements under depth jumps and say you must be capable fo squatting double your body weight to do depth jumps. The question I ask is, why?

Theoritically it's like saying you need to be able to do a certain number of push ups before benching. Well there is some truth to this. If one can't handle their own body weight properly for 12-15 reps, bench pressing isn't going to help him much.

Now 2x body weight is something some sprinters even haven't done, lot of athletes can't do, will they still benefit from plyometrics in general? Yes. So if yes, why not from depth jumps?

Plyometrics like anything else is progressive training, as well as non continous. Therefore we don't use it all year around, that means plenty of time to build strength for a starting athlete before plyos come up. When they do, we move at a certain pace. You don't go from single leg hops to hurdle jumps to depth jumps in a week's time.

There is requirements however to doing plyometrics in general however, just like the push up-bench press. 60% of body weight for 5 reps squat is a good rule to follow. Easily achievable with any form of strength training. What we want to ensure is that the body is strong enough to absorb impact and not break down easily. So a good general fitness level and conditioning is required as well for a beginner.

At the same time as we build up to doing depth jumps, we are building up one's squat. They see benefits of strength increase and power increase at same time.

olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by farzamk View Post

Theoritically it's like saying you need to be able to do a certain number of push ups before benching. Well there is some truth to this. If one can't handle their own body weight properly for 12-15 reps, bench pressing isn't going to help him much.
    I disagree...say you are an overweight 200 pound kid who can't do a pushup. What is he supposed to do?

Well the best thing for him would be to bench. He can start off with a much lighter weight that he can handle (as low as 45 pounds on BB or even lower if you choose DB bench) and he can work his strength up to the point where he can finally do pushups with his bodyweight.

I'm not saying pushups are bad jst saying for some people bench is a better exercise choice

farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by olinerules87 View Post
    I disagree...say you are an overweight 200 pound kid who can't do a pushup. What is he supposed to do?

Well the best thing for him would be to bench. He can start off with a much lighter weight that he can handle (as low as 45 pounds on BB or even lower if you choose DB bench) and he can work his strength up to the point where he can finally do pushups with his bodyweight.

I'm not saying pushups are bad jst saying for some people bench is a better exercise choice
    Developing the strength to do push ups is more beneficial then benching, we look for what is more beneficial.

Therefore simply holding a push up position, doing the bridge, decline push ups as well as push ups on knees will get him there quickly.

Also what is this 200 pound "athlete" supposed to be?

olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Developing the strength to do push ups is more beneficial then benching, we look for what is more beneficial.
    Therefore simply holding a push up position, doing the bridge, decline push ups as well as push ups on knees will get him there quickly.

Also what is this 200 pound "athlete" supposed to be?
    I was saying use bench to both increase bench strength and strengthen his body to the point where he can do pushups.

Originally Posted by olinerules87 View Post
    I was saying use bench to both increase bench strength and strengthen his body to the point where he can do pushups.
    Developing coordination over the actual exercise is better, push ups are a basic exercise.

Also what is this 200 pound's sport?

DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Pushups will improve your power to bodyweight ratio, which is important to almost every athlete.

As already pointed out, pushups are a bodyweight exercise that develops coordination. If an athlete cannot even coordinate and handle his own bodyweight, what business does he have using external load?

Increasing strength in the bench press does not necessarily equate to better ability to do pushups. Remember that pushups involve the core as well, you don't only need strength in the upper body to 'push' but to also stabilize the core. The bench press does not work on stabilization as much as the pushup.

I have to agree with farzamk's progression there. If an athlete cannot even do a single pushup, he has no business doing the bench press.
    Loneliness knows me by name

Originally Posted by DesVaro View Post
    Pushups will improve your power to bodyweight ratio, which is important to almost every athlete.

As already pointed out, pushups are a bodyweight exercise that develops coordination. If an athlete cannot even coordinate and handle his own bodyweight, what business does he have using external load?

Increasing strength in the bench press does not necessarily equate to better ability to do pushups. Remember that pushups involve the core as well, you don't only need strength in the upper body to 'push' but to also stabilize the core. The bench press does not work on stabilization as much as the pushup.

I have to agree with farzamk's progression there. If an athlete cannot even do a single pushup, he has no business doing the bench press.
    Ya exactly my point, you need to be able to coordinate your own body weight before lifting weights.

Joelio36 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joelio36 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joelio36 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joelio36 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joelio36 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joelio36 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joelio36 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joelio36 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joelio36 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joelio36 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joelio36 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I think that requirement is relative to the audience- elite atheletes. They are saying in order to get the most out of your plyometric work, you should have an exceptional maximal strength base. This way the elastic force transfer will be more efficient. The stronger you are to start off with, the bestter your explosive gains will be.

Originally Posted by Joelio36 View Post
    I think that requirement is relative to the audience- elite atheletes. They are saying in order to get the most out of your plyometric work, you should have an exceptional maximal strength base. This way the elastic force transfer will be more efficient. The stronger you are to start off with, the bestter your explosive gains will be.
    Yes but when starting with a beginner, first we get them in shape and develop all around a athletic base, then move to plyos and progress through them just like we progress the lifts.

azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i would have to agree with joelio. take basketball for instance, if an athlete has a weak squat his vertical jump will not increase as much with plyometrics as if he developed good strength first.

i do see what you mean about the difference between an 'athlete' and a unconditioned person. i have also known althetes who can squat nowhere near twice thier bodyweight that have made good progress on explosive activites using plyometrics and depth jumps in particular
    i dont compete against you. i compete against myself yesterday, last week, last year

No one system of training is better than all of the other systems. However, proper training always involves common elements. These are hard work, abbreviated training programs, progression, good form, and motivation - Brooks Kubik

TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by azzuk23 View Post
    i would have to agree with joelio. take basketball for instance, if an athlete has a weak squat his vertical jump will not increase as much with plyometrics as if he developed good strength first.

i do see what you mean about the difference between an 'athlete' and a unconditioned person. i have also known althetes who can squat nowhere near twice thier bodyweight that have made good progress on explosive activites using plyometrics and depth jumps in particular
    01-26-2008, 09:13 AM

that is the date that he posted this. he's been banned for a long time, why the heck did you bring this topic back?
    "Giving your best is more important than being the best."

I train as an athlete, not a bodybuilder.

REPS for SUBS.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125690683

Location: edinburgh, scotland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    loving the bump.

although i would be interesting to hear where this 'must be able to squat double bodywieght' before doing depth jumps came from.

i can understant the whole need a 'base' level of strength argument but 2xbw is a bit more than a base and i thought the human body could sometimes generate/handle(not sure which) forces around 7xbw from just jumping and running around anyway or something like that.
    people ask me how to train, and i answer "i look at what you do and then i do the exact oposite"

if your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day

GilletteFusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) GilletteFusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) GilletteFusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) GilletteFusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) GilletteFusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) GilletteFusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) GilletteFusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) GilletteFusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) GilletteFusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) GilletteFusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) GilletteFusion will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So I should Focus on getting my lifts really high before starting plyos?
    Getting shredded.

Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by toad1 View Post
    loving the bump.

although i would be interesting to hear where this 'must be able to squat double bodywieght' before doing depth jumps came from.

i can understant the whole need a 'base' level of strength argument but 2xbw is a bit more than a base and i thought the human body could sometimes generate/handle(not sure which) forces around 7xbw from just jumping and running around anyway or something like that.
    It's true and false. It's meant towards developing athletes. It's just a guideline, and not a fact to stand by for younger developing athletes.

Now where farz failed to read further into before he C&P'd his info, was that this again is meant for younger athletes... Not 400 pound 25 year old, pro athletes. I honestly think that for a younger athlete it's a fairly good guideline, but not for an older developed athletes which that guideline was never meant for.

This was also meant towards plyometrics such as depth jumps, weighted jumps, etc. and has been skewed into many believing it means all plyo workouts.
    CPT-ISSA
    Trainedbykevin.com

Rugger w/ a throwing prob xxtwistedxx's Avatar
    xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    2x's bw is pretty extreme just to do a depth jump.

hell that means i shouldnt be doing them till i put another 130lbs on my squat. (knee is finally gettin better- havnt squatted in a year)

im more towards 1.25 - 1.5x's body weight for those. seems a lil more realistic.

edit - Oh yea.... awesome necro bump for the muh effin win brah