farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Not enough flexibility and too much flexibility

Most athletes you find at teenage years will be rather tight, what is this doing? It is holding back both stride frequency and peak stride length. As well keeping risk of injury pretty high as compared to a flexible athlete. main area of flexibility for a athlete involved in sports which involve running should be the hips.

For those who are tight and you know it, stretching daily for a month WILL improve performance in speed.

Now is there such a thing as being over flexible? Yes! This will vary among athletes however you will see many athletes who can do the splits, when they run it looks simply like they are striding through the race and moving in slow motion. That it just as bad equally as being tight. For thsoe athletes, simply stopping stretches and doing only dynamic stretches should be done as well as moving to exercises like squats and lunges which add the stiffness.

sillz100 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sillz100 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sillz100 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sillz100 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sillz100 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sillz100 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sillz100 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sillz100 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sillz100 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sillz100 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sillz100 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What types of stretches and how long long to hold/reps do you recommend?

farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by sillz100 View Post
    Sit and reach, kneeling lunge stretch, basically stretch every muscle, 1 set for 30 seconds is ideal. Post workout only and during the day, never before workouts.

Originally Posted by sillz100 View Post
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post121229271

SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I suppose it could be a problem for sprinters.

But I don't see how you can be too flexible for any other sport.

Originally Posted by SpiderSense View Post
    I suppose it could be a problem for sprinters.

But I don't see how you can be too flexible for any other sport.
    Well it will hinder acceleration, depends all on the sport. Does a hockey goalie need to be able to do the splits? of course! Does a soccer player who plays defense need to? no... Does a gymnast need to?

Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    what would you consider "too flexible", on the basic sit and reach test?
    Last edited by Fullback7; 01-25-2008 at 08:08 AM.
    CPT-ISSA
    Trainedbykevin.com

Originally Posted by Fullback7 View Post
    what would you consider "too flexible", on the basic sit and reach test?
    touching your heels easily, however the sit and reach is a lot of back flexibility as well, over flexibility is mostly bad when in hip/hamstring area.

cncretecbwo is just really nice. (+1000) cncretecbwo is just really nice. (+1000) cncretecbwo is just really nice. (+1000) cncretecbwo is just really nice. (+1000) cncretecbwo is just really nice. (+1000) cncretecbwo is just really nice. (+1000) cncretecbwo is just really nice. (+1000) cncretecbwo is just really nice. (+1000) cncretecbwo is just really nice. (+1000) cncretecbwo is just really nice. (+1000) cncretecbwo is just really nice. (+1000)
    so would you say i am too flexible in my hamstrings if i can put my palm on the floor while keeping my legs straight?

Originally Posted by cncretecbwo View Post
    so would you say i am too flexible in my hamstrings if i can put my palm on the floor while keeping my legs straight?
    nope, that is a good level of hamstring/lower back flexibility, not too flexible.

keep in mind this WILL vary from person to person, some may be able to do the splits and not run in slow mo type, some will, it varies. It's all about having enough flexibility to be able to extend through hips and do the sprint ROM properly and prevent injuries.

SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000) SpiderSense is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Well, regardless it would help with durability for sure. I'm not saying you have to do the splits. I'm saying that the flexibility is good though it may not have any real practical use in the sport.

An analogy of what you're saying is that a baseball player shouldn't lift weights. He never lifts anything heavier than a baseball bat.

Originally Posted by SpiderSense View Post
    Well, regardless it would help with durability for sure. I'm not saying you have to do the splits. I'm saying that the flexibility is good though it may not have any real practical use in the sport.

An analogy of what you're saying is that a baseball player shouldn't lift weights. He never lifts anything heavier than a baseball bat.
    No, flexibility and strength cannot be used together in a analogy like that. During a sprint, enough flexibility is required to allow for proper hip extension without being held back, like a mini hurdle on each stride.

A good level of flexibility is enough to prevent injuries, post workout muscle soreness and speed up muscle recovery inbetween workouts.

Registered User Beastinthemakin's Avatar
    Beastinthemakin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Beastinthemakin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Beastinthemakin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Beastinthemakin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Beastinthemakin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Beastinthemakin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Beastinthemakin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Beastinthemakin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Beastinthemakin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Beastinthemakin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Beastinthemakin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    welll i thought i may add that you weant to be really flexible in your achilles tendon. the more flexible it is the more it can absorb impact of the ground.Which is really helpful in sprinting.

El_Padrino is just really nice. (+1000) El_Padrino is just really nice. (+1000) El_Padrino is just really nice. (+1000) El_Padrino is just really nice. (+1000) El_Padrino is just really nice. (+1000) El_Padrino is just really nice. (+1000) El_Padrino is just really nice. (+1000) El_Padrino is just really nice. (+1000) El_Padrino is just really nice. (+1000) El_Padrino is just really nice. (+1000) El_Padrino is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Beastinthemakin View Post
    welll i thought i may add that you weant to be really flexible in your achilles tendon. the more flexible it is the more it can absorb impact of the ground.Which is really helpful in sprinting.
    How do you stretch that?

Btw on the sit and reach i can put my full hand just past the foot.

JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    lmfao 6 months later!!!! farzamk will never die!!

LIGHT SKINNED MANDINGO G-mane12's Avatar
    G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000) G-mane12 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    lol i thought he was unbanned
    Stickam: ronniecoleman22

"One morning I woke up and found my favorite pigeon, Julius, had died I was devastated and was gonna use his crate as my stickball bat to honor him. I left the crate on my stoop and went in to get something and I returned to see the sanitation man put the crate into the crusher. I rushed him and caught him flush on the temple with a titanic right hand he was out cold, convulsing on the floor like an infantile retard." -Mike Tyson

Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Everyone including me put soo much emphasis in what he had to say.... Still can't believe he was a 14 year old kid
    CPT-ISSA
    Trainedbykevin.com

canadianlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) canadianlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) canadianlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) canadianlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) canadianlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) canadianlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) canadianlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) canadianlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) canadianlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) canadianlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) canadianlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Fullback7 View Post
    Everyone including me put soo much emphasis in what he had to say.... Still can't believe he was a 14 year old kid
    Well with what he said in regards to being flexible in sport, it seems like he knew a great deal of what he was talking about.
    Workout Journal: Quest to be the Best Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=108890191

"There are football players; then there are linebackers."

Doyl888; "just tell urself u will pass out before u die so its all good :)"

IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by canadianlb View Post
    Well with what he said in regards to being flexible in sport, it seems like he knew a great deal of what he was talking about.
    Say what ya will about the kid, but he did know some ****- even if it was all basically copy and pasted from other places on the internet.

Hell, I can't say that my base of knowledge is all that much different- except I don't make claims about being a 30 year old track coach who can bench 460 .
    IG: @toadkillerdog

Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Doyl888 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by 101CavGrunt View Post
    Say what ya will about the kid, but he did know some ****- even if it was all basically copy and pasted from other places on the internet.

Hell, I can't say that my base of knowledge is all that much different- except I don't make claims about being a 30 year old track coach who can bench 460 .
    holy **** dude... u bumpin this i though he was back
    ARMY STRONG

finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by 101CavGrunt View Post

You can't say that he knew his stuff because most of his stuff was backed up by "results from his athletes".....
    Currently on Defranco's Built Like A Badass.