Registered User tombstone3@cox.net's Avatar
    tombstone3@cox.net has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tombstone3@cox.net has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tombstone3@cox.net has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tombstone3@cox.net has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tombstone3@cox.net has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tombstone3@cox.net has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tombstone3@cox.net has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tombstone3@cox.net has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tombstone3@cox.net has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tombstone3@cox.net has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tombstone3@cox.net has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Baking Soda reduce lactic acid?

Hi,

I was reading around a google search and found a recommendation to mix two teaspoons of baking soda in water and drink a half hour before engaging in explosive excercise to prevent the onset of lactic acid. It's said to improve runner's times and if that's true it may stand to reason that it could help extend a weight training workout.

Is there any truth to this or is the info flakey? Also, I finished a cycle and am on PCT currently. I ordered EBol & XFactor. Will baking soda neutralize the effects of Arachidonic Acid?

Any knowledgable person want to take on these questions?

Thanks
    Omega-3 fish oil
    NOW - Resveratrol (mega-potency)
    1-A-day Men's Health Formula Multi-Vitamin

smh31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smh31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smh31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smh31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smh31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smh31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smh31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smh31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smh31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smh31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smh31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Phosphate reduces lactic acid. Baking Soda can increase VO2 max, but dont know how.

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'll tell you one thing, if you're not careful, you will be explosively exercising bodily functions (READ: I never got past the starting line and will never try it again). Get some ß-Alanine and/or creatine instead.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

tombstone3@cox.net has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tombstone3@cox.net has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tombstone3@cox.net has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tombstone3@cox.net has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tombstone3@cox.net has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tombstone3@cox.net has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tombstone3@cox.net has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tombstone3@cox.net has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tombstone3@cox.net has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tombstone3@cox.net has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tombstone3@cox.net has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by in10city View Post
    I'll tell you one thing, if you're not careful, you will be explosively exercising bodily functions (READ: I never got past the starting line and will never try it again). Get some ß-Alanine and/or creatine instead.
    Isn't Alanine already a standard amino acid that you get plenty of in regular protein?

I plan on giving the baking soda idea a try but I want more info on this and want to have some opinions on whether it will interfere with supplements that I will be taking soon. I don't want to waste money. Between EBol, XFactor & creatine, that's more money than what I've spent on methyldrol and it's supporting supps. These natural supps are pretty pricey and I only want to bother if I get results. Putting together a good plan all-around has been doing pretty well for me so far and I intend to get the most out of every workout.
    Last edited by tombstone3@cox.net; 12-16-2006 at 06:38 PM.
    Omega-3 fish oil

solidwon is on a distinguished road. (+10) solidwon is on a distinguished road. (+10) solidwon is on a distinguished road. (+10) solidwon is on a distinguished road. (+10) solidwon is on a distinguished road. (+10) solidwon is on a distinguished road. (+10) solidwon is on a distinguished road. (+10) solidwon is on a distinguished road. (+10) solidwon is on a distinguished road. (+10) solidwon is on a distinguished road. (+10) solidwon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    There was mention of baking soda's ability to improve performance in the new MD. Unfortunately, the intestines don't tolerate baking soda loading too well.

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by tombstone3@cox.net View Post
    Isn't Alanine already a standard amino acid that you get plenty of in regular protein?

I plan on giving the baking soda idea a try but I want more info on this and want to have some opinions on whether it will interfere with supplements that I will be taking soon. I don't want to waste money. Between EBol, XFactor & creatine, that's more money than what I've spent on methyldrol and it's supporting supps. These natural supps are pretty pricey and I only want to bother if I get results. Putting together a good plan all-around has been doing pretty well for me so far and I intend to get the most out of every workout.
    For ß-Alanine, in short, no. The benefits of ß-Alanine supplementation have been discussed ad infinitum here. Here are two of many... you can locate more at will...

1. http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/archi...h.php?pid=1466

2. Stout JR et al. Effects of beta-alanine supplementation on the onset of neuromuscular fatigue and ventilatory threshold in women.Amino Acids. 2006 Nov 30

Department of Health and Exercise Science, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK, U.S.A..

This study examined the effects of 28 days of beta-alanine supplementation on the physical working capacity at fatigue threshold (PWC(FT)), ventilatory threshold (VT), maximal oxygen consumption ([Formula: see text]O(2-MAX)), and time-to-exhaustion (TTE) in women. Twenty-two women (age +/- SD 27.4 +/- 6.1 yrs) participated and were randomly assigned to either the beta-alanine (CarnoSyntrade mark) or Placebo (PL) group. Before (pre) and after (post) the supplementation period, participants performed a continuous, incremental cycle ergometry test to exhaustion to determine the PWC(FT), VT, [Formula: see text]O(2-MAX), and TTE. There was a 13.9, 12.6 and 2.5% increase (p < 0.05) in VT, PWC(FT), and TTE, respectively, for the beta-alanine group, with no changes in the PL (p > 0.05). There were no changes for [Formula: see text]O(2-MAX) (p > 0.05) in either group. Results of this study indicate that beta-alanine supplementation delays the onset of neuromuscular fatigue (PWC(FT)) and the ventilatory threshold (VT) at submaximal workloads, and increase in TTE during maximal cycle ergometry performance. However, beta-alanine supplementation did not affect maximal aerobic power ([Formula: see text]O(2-MAX)). In conclusion, beta-alanine supplementation appears to improve submaximal cycle ergometry performance and TTE in young women, perhaps as a result of an increased buffering capacity due to elevated muscle carnosine concentrations.
    As for bicarbonate loading, read through this and the references cited within: http://www.supplementwatch.com/supli...templateId=100

This was the study referred to in the MD article:
    http://www.acsm-msse.org/pt/re/msse/...856145!8091!-1
    Dose-Related Effects of Prolonged NaHCO3 Ingestion during High-Intensity Exercise.
    Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 38(10):1746-1753, October 2006.
    DOUROUDOS, IOANNIS I. 1; FATOUROS, IOANNIS G. 1; GOURGOULIS, VASSILIOS 2; JAMURTAS, ATHANASIOS Z. 1; TSITSIOS, TILEMAXOS 3; HATZINIKOLAOU, ATHANASIOS 2; MARGONIS, KONSTANTINOS 1; MAVROMATIDIS, KONTANTINOS 3; TAXILDARIS, KIRIAKOS 1
    Abstract:
    Purpose: Sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) ingestion may prevent exercise-induced perturbations in acid-base balance, thus resulting in performance enhancement. This study aimed to determine whether different levels of NaHCO3 intake influences acid-base balance and performance during high-intensity exercise after 5 d of supplementation.

Methods: Twenty-four men (22 +/- 1.7 yr) were randomly assigned to one of three groups (eight subjects per group): control (C, placebo), moderate NaHCO3 intake (MI, 0.3 g[middle dot]kg-1[middle dot]d-1), and high NaHCO3 intake (HI, 0.5 g[middle dot]kg-1[middle dot]d-1). Arterial pH, HCO3-, PO2, PCO2, K+, Na+, base excess (BE), lactate, and mean power (MP) were measured before and after a Wingate test pre- and postsupplementation.

Results: HCO3- increased proportionately to the dosage level. No differences were detected in C. Supplementation increased MP (W[middle dot]kg-1) in MI (7.36 +/- 0.7 vs 6.73 +/- 1.0) and HI (7.72 +/- 0.9 vs 6.69 +/- 0.6), with HI being more effective than MI. NaHCO3 ingestion resulted postexercise in increased lactate (mmol[middle dot]L-1) (12.3 +/- 1.8 vs 10.3 +/- 1.9 and 12.4 +/- 1.2 vs 10.4 +/- 1.5 in MI and HI, respectively), reduced exercise-induced drop of pH (7.305 +/- 0.04 vs 7.198 +/- 0.02 and 7.343 +/- 0.05 vs 7.2 +/- 0.01 in MI and HI, respectively) and HCO3- (mmol[middle dot]L-1) (13.1 +/- 2.4 vs 17.5 +/- 2.8 and 13.2 +/- 2.7 vs 19.8 +/- 3.2 for HCO3 in MI and HI, respectively), and reduced K+ (3.875 +/- 0.2 vs 3.625 +/- 0.3 mmol[middle dot]L-1 in MI and HI, respectively).

Conclusion: NaHCO3 administration for 5 d may prevent acid-base balance disturbances and improve performance during anaerobic exercise in a dose-dependent manner.
    I was completely serious about being careful with bicarbonate. I vomited and later on had lower GI discord. Bulk ß-Alanine is rather inexpensive, as is creatine. But to each his own... to me, the negatives of bicarbonate and the need for delicate usage make it impractical - i.e. compete / work out vs. illness.
    Last edited by in10city; 12-17-2006 at 03:07 AM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Cool,

Nice info. The reason I'm looking to cut down on lactic acid and extend my workouts is because I'm 33 years old and because of weight lifting and growing in the last year and a half, I poop out quicker than I used to. I don't know if it's age, weight gain, or a combination of many factors. The point is that my recovery between sets and longevity of lifting compared to my workout partners (who are both younger) is not the same.

I would like to improve my conditioning but I'm not ready for a ton of cardio on a cutting program yet until I can do my next cycle. So right now I'm looking for a combination of supplements to increase my recovery and give me more time before pooping out. This should also give me better workouts and better results which is a fantastic benefit as well.

I figure now that using baking soda, B-Alanine & Histidine & creatine should give me enough of a boost to maybe do better. I was also looking into a product like Cytomax but when adding that, this is starting to get expensive and the price/results ratio is getting harder to swallow. Baking soda, B-Alanine, Histindine & creatine are all pretty cheap and adding the big cost of Ebol & XFactor to the next couple of months leaves me not wanting to add the expense of Cytomax. Is there any equivalent to cytomax that is relatively inexpensive in bulk form?
    Omega-3 fish oil

I'm 32 myself and the addition of ß-Alanine has made a big difference (so has Xtend (BCAA+G) but that's another thread). The Histidine may not be necessary though - Histidine is already present in high concentrations in muscle, while ß-Alanine is present only in small amounts - thus making it the limiting substrate for carnosine synthesis.

As for Cytomax alternatives, are you looking for BCAA's and/or carbs and/or caffeine ?

CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have tried baking soda about 10 years ago and it DID work a little but the problem was it cause alot of distress in my intestines

Then when I tried it for running it made me throw up.

BUT I just started a new supplement for reducing lactic acid and I can say for me UNQUALIFIED it DOES work VERY VERY well for me. I am a REAL skeptic with sups so I had to try it a few times, then take a week off and see then start back on before it proved itself to me.

I was a beta tester for the product and if you know me I don't say many products actually work.

CROWLER

* * * * * FREE SAMPLES * * * * * *|

Just go here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136099081

michaelp [at] AISportsNutrition.com