Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    bbillcee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

can whey protein cause heart palpitations?

for a while i was using a whey protein and started to develop nasty heart palpitations/flutters and gas in the middle of the night

after going for stress test, event monitors etc etc my heart is ok but on a hunch i stopped the whey protein and the palps went away!!!!

was just wondering if anyone had similar experience

thanx

billy

Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Well I take whey protein and I noticed my heart rate increasing. I noticed almost all whey proteins have bcaas along with other amino acids in there. I'm wondering if that is it, because protein shouldn't do that.

bongd is a name known to all. (+5000) bongd is a name known to all. (+5000) bongd is a name known to all. (+5000) bongd is a name known to all. (+5000) bongd is a name known to all. (+5000) bongd is a name known to all. (+5000) bongd is a name known to all. (+5000) bongd is a name known to all. (+5000) bongd is a name known to all. (+5000) bongd is a name known to all. (+5000) bongd is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No, but see your doctor for sure. I'd chalk it up to the rest of your diet and activity levels. If you just started taking whey, did you start a new exercise program as well?

another day in paradise punksurfer024's Avatar
    punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you MAY be experiencing indigestion from the whey protein which DOES mimmick heart palpitations as well as chest pain. obviously this will not cuase any cardiac enzyme changes nor any ecg changes. but im no doctor....talk to your doc about it.
    Millecor Sponsored Athlete

‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏ ‏‏‏‏ factotum's Avatar
    factotum has the mod powerz factotum has the mod powerz factotum has the mod powerz factotum has the mod powerz factotum has the mod powerz factotum has the mod powerz factotum has the mod powerz factotum has the mod powerz factotum has the mod powerz factotum has the mod powerz factotum has the mod powerz
    The fact that it's occurring in the middle of the night makes me wonder if you are taking a pre bed shake. I'm also guessing it may be causing indigestion. I had a similar experience when I took my shake 30 mins prior to bed. I switched it to at least 1.5 hours before bed and the problems went away. Hopefully it's the same for you but as others have stated you want to consult your doctor further as this is a matter you just don't want to take a chance on.
    Yes, there is indeed a deeper component to it all.

Exclamation

yes i was taking it about an hour or so before sleep......

Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I actually was too. I was taking a whey shake like an hour and a half before bed because that was when my workout was, then a casein shake right before bed. I wasn't really having chest pains like the other dude said, but that's probably what it is.

exan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was supposed to post the same question too, good thing bbillcee started it. I'm having heart palpitations too right now, but I stopped takin whey protein two weeks ago but the sensations is still here. I just had an ECG test last 4 days & it was perfectly normal. The thing is I started taking whey protein late 2003 and I only felt the palpitations on Jan. of 2005, after a couple of weeks it was gone. Then it came back only this Nov 2007, I had an ECG and stress test during that time and everything was ok. Then from Jan 2008 to April I did not have any whey protein supplements, then I bought a 2lb whey late April, when I almost finish the tub I had the palpitations again. So I don't know if whey protein supplementation causes this palpitations? I'm about to have a 2D echo and holter monitor tests next week just to be sure, as my doctors order. Anyways during my last visit to my cardiologist he told me that sometimes this palpitations are normal and that everybody has them, and sometimes this just caused by stress or anxiety. I hope my test will be ok, for I'm sure it'll be. So in the meantime I just take a lot of milk. One more thing don't take it pre bed especially if it's chocolate flavored, you know what I mean. Sorry for a long post.

well what i cam up with is this:

the whey/soy proteins with high glutamic acid content were giving palpitation and ALOT of gas and also increased anxiety and high blood pressure

i was using the protein 4 or 5 months before the attacks started happening

from what i have read free glutamic acid is the main component of MSG and comes as a by product of whey and soy and i guess any other manufactured powder

so i believe i was having a reaction to MSG

since i have stopped taking powdered proteins my blood pressure has dropped alot and things have been much better

glutamic acid is an amino acid but when its in meat or normal food its bound to other stuff making it ok...but when in a protein powder it in a freed state which some are sensitive too....this info is what i have read

exan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So what are you taking right now before or after exercise for muscle growth?

liquid egg whites:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ewi/liquidew.html

so far working well

skillzboy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey bb,

i am experiencing the same things you are except for the gas.. but the heart palpitations i experienced when i was taking ON 100% whey.. my heart would go nuts when i went to bed.. i stopped taking ON 100% whey a month ago and the palpitations have completely gone away.. i now take muscle milk and have not experienced anything..

zed77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've just looked at this thread and i'm glad I found it. I started taking Whey protein about 2 weeks ago and it wasn't until 4 days ago that I started getting heart palpitations - my heart has been jumping all over the place, really noticeable when lying in bed. I also had bad gas and bloatedness. I stopped taking it 2 days ago - the gas and bloatedness has gone but the heart palpitations are still here. I've never had this kind of thing before but suspect is is the whey protein because it was the only thing that I had changed in my diet. Reading up about the evils of MSG (thanks bb) looks like i'm sensitive to it too and it's probably the Glutamic acid. If it carries on for too much longer i'll go see a doctor.

Thanks guys for all the advice.

I'm now going onto Egg white protein and see how that goes!

the palpitations lasted about week at most after stopping the whey and got less noticable everyday

although watch with the egg protein as well.....after i tried vitol egg protein which the glutamic acid content was much less but was enough to elevate my blood pressure....after i stopped that blood pressure came down

the liquid egg white so far have cause me no bad side effects except stinky farts!

zed77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks BB. I'm in the UK and found this link:

http://www.eggnation.co.uk/

This product looks like it should be fine so i'll try these...think I might be able to handle the stinky farts...the whey protein I was eating was pretty bad too!!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by zed77 View Post
    Thanks BB. I'm in the UK and found this link:

http://www.eggnation.co.uk/

This product looks like it should be fine so i'll try these...think I might be able to handle the stinky farts...the whey protein I was eating was pretty bad too!!

that looks good! i put low fat low sugar chocolate powder taste just like chocolate milk

prplhaz is on a distinguished road. (+10) prplhaz is on a distinguished road. (+10) prplhaz is on a distinguished road. (+10) prplhaz is on a distinguished road. (+10) prplhaz is on a distinguished road. (+10) prplhaz is on a distinguished road. (+10) prplhaz is on a distinguished road. (+10) prplhaz is on a distinguished road. (+10) prplhaz is on a distinguished road. (+10) prplhaz is on a distinguished road. (+10) prplhaz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It sucks how digestive issues mimick many heart related symptoms. Funny how whey's effects on nitric oxide / vasolation could actually cause high blood pressure in some.

pharoprnce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Heart Palpitations ARE CAUSED by ( GNC PRO PERFORMANCE WHEYBOLIC EXTREME 60)

The same thing happened to me man. You are not alone! I started taking Whey Protein and after the third day... I started getting really bad heart flutters about 3 hours after I drink the shake. There must be something in it that messes with your heart. The palpitations happen worse when I sit down, or lay down to go to bed. I just went online to check to see if anyone else was having the same problem....and sure enough, there are many. Its the way protein, there is nothing wrong with your heart. I am 28 years old and as healthy as an ox. It is definately the Whey. I am done putting ANY kind of supplements into my body. Who knows what they put in that sh!t!. Eating the right foods should do the job from here on out. I hope this answered your question.

tonentrim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Has anyone noticed these symptoms using Phd Synergy Iso 7?

skillzboy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey guys after a year of messing with foods and other supplements to help stop the crazy heart palpations I found that bananas counter the heart palpations. I just started taking on whey again followed by a banana and now my heart palpations have stopped. hopefully this helps all of you suffering from this it won't hurt to try it

SIRT1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SIRT1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SIRT1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SIRT1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SIRT1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SIRT1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SIRT1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SIRT1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SIRT1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SIRT1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SIRT1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by skillzboy4 View Post
    hey guys after a year of messing with foods and other supplements to help stop the crazy heart palpations I found that bananas counter the heart palpations. I just started taking on whey again followed by a banana and now my heart palpations have stopped. hopefully this helps all of you suffering from this it won't hurt to try it
    Well potassium is very good for the heart. Keep eating those bananas !

rdwilroy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Heart Trouble and Whey Protein

Thanks for the info. It confirms what I thought is going on with me. I have had a heart oblation to get rid of atrial fib and was doing great, no problems. In Jan. I started doing this 3-month long fitness challenge. I began taking the Whey and immediately starting having the arithmia again. After a couple of weeks I stopped taking it(kept up with the work outs) and the problem stopped. I started taking it again a few weeks later to see what would happen and it immediately started back so I figured it was the whey but had no idea why. With my past history with arithmia problems I guess that I am really sensitive to it. Any other supplements you find helpful for muscle building that does not cause the arithmia I would like to know about. Thanks again!

punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rdwilroy View Post
    Thanks for the info. It confirms what I thought is going on with me. I have had a heart oblation to get rid of atrial fib and was doing great, no problems. In Jan. I started doing this 3-month long fitness challenge. I began taking the Whey and immediately starting having the arithmia again. After a couple of weeks I stopped taking it(kept up with the work outs) and the problem stopped. I started taking it again a few weeks later to see what would happen and it immediately started back so I figured it was the whey but had no idea why. With my past history with arithmia problems I guess that I am really sensitive to it. Any other supplements you find helpful for muscle building that does not cause the arithmia I would like to know about. Thanks again!
    everyone that has expressed concern other then yours sounds like text book indigestion and not a heart condition at all. yours on the other hand intrigues me, my question to is: does your whey have any kind of stimulant in it at all. many patients ive ran on that had history of a-fib that was controlled (not cured) with an oblation would be thrown back into a-fib with mild stimulants, even the amount found in chocolate.

I have been buying "Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein" 52 grams of protein for two scoops. It seemed that the combination of this fitness challenge and Whey supplement really helped my strenght and size. I went from my dead lift 4 rep max of 290 to 375 in a few weeks. But I had to fight through the A-fib almost every work out after I started the Whey. Stimulants such as coffee or chocolate have never bothered me. Stressful situation at work can but I have not been stressed out.

Originally Posted by rdwilroy View Post
    I have been buying "Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein" 52 grams of protein for two scoops. It seemed that the combination of this fitness challenge and Whey supplement really helped my strenght and size. I went from my dead lift 4 rep max of 290 to 375 in a few weeks. But I had to fight through the A-fib almost every work out after I started the Whey. Stimulants such as coffee or chocolate have never bothered me. Stressful situation at work can but I have not been stressed out.
    just wondering, but how did you know you were in Afib every workout without an ecg being done every time? i mean i know you can feel a pulse and feel it being irregularly irregular, but without an ecg its still hard to tell.

I was diagnosed with A-Fib in 1999. I have had it so much that I know exactly what it feels like. I wore a monitor for a long time where I would record the event(EKG) and send it over the phone for the Dr's review while he was figuring out what to do. So I have had lots of experience. It used to freak me out but not any more. The first oblation got ride of it for 6 years or so. I recently got another. I thought it was just coming back but this is different. The whey brings it on and it goes away completely after a few days off the stuff.

e_clark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Taurine Gives You Wings!

I am looking at the label of Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein, and it shares at least one common active ingredient with Red Bull. I bought this stuff for pre-bed shakes, and decided not to when I saw the Taurine. It seems that to speed recovery, they include stimulants in their whey. This may be true of other products, as well- please check your labels!
    For gas sufferers, please try activated charcoal pills! One gram has a surface area of 500 square meters- 1/3 square mile. It's what water filters are made of, and it is HIGHLY effective in controlling flatulence!
    Happy Lifting!

for the past few months i have been using thorne mediclear....29 grams of rice protein plus fortified with vitamins and other goodies....so i use it as my multi vitamin as well

the stuff is so easily digested plus i add to it that nutiva hemp seed powder with the extra fiber......great stuff!!!

mukarakaplan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

5 days of whey protein and then afib...

It had been 5 days since I started consuming ON 100% whey protein strawberry banana flavor three times a day, and then I had my first afib last Monday. 5 days! It happened during the workout and in my case the trigger was doing dips. I'm 29, too young to get afib... I have a very healthy lifestyle and I don't use any other supplements so I really suspect that it's the whey protein which caused my afib. I stopped using it now. I wish I saw this thread before starting using the whey protein. These products look so innocent in their packages...
    I read that afib is progressive. Let's see when I'll experience my second episode. I'll try to keep everything the same except using whey protein.
    Last edited by mukarakaplan; 03-07-2010 at 04:23 PM.

Originally Posted by mukarakaplan View Post
    It had been 5 days since I started consuming ON %100 whey protein strawberry banana flavor three times a day, and then I had my first afib last Monday. 5 days! It happened during the workout and in my case the trigger was doing dips. I'm 29, too young to get afib... I have a very healthy lifestyle and I don't use any other supplements so I really suspect that it's the whey protein which caused my afib. I stopped using it now. I wish I saw this thread before starting using the whey protein. These products look so innocent in their packages...
    I read that afib is progressive. Let's see when I'll experience my second episode. I'll try to keep everything the same except using whey protein.
    its nasty stuff for some