Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I sell many types of equipment part time and bowflex is one of them so I get to try these things out in the store. Don't care for bowflex at all. It's not true weight. Most bowflexes come with 210lb standard and if you were to do that compared to free weights it's night and day. It's not 210 on a bowflex.

I've also noticed that over time the rods keep their bend so your ROM shortens over time. That is very annoying.

And lastly the infomercial athletes did not get their great shape from just 20 minutes, 3 times a week using a bowflex

But... if it's something that will make a person stick to exercising it's better than no exercise at all.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

parkbunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy blasting bowflex

I know this thread might be old but I'm new to your boards and this is my first post. I see a lot of people blast the blow flex for not being the proper weight and the rods not going back to their original straightness because of memory, etc. What about if it works for a woman? I'm not trying to join any competition, I'm just trying to stay healthy and I was kinda headed bowflex way. I used to use it before and got good results,results in it kept me motivated. I don't know why but I get board with free weights, the counting etc. I know I have to count on a bowflex but the lat pull downs are fun to do
    I've bought exercise tapes but they do too many reps and if you don't do what they do then you feel like a failure. I want to get this into my life program as I'm 52, not 24 and just need the hormones to keep flowing.

In a case like mine, what do you say about a bow flex or how to keep motivated in the exercise world.??

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If people are against free weights for whatever reason, I steer them towards a stack weight gym even before a bowflex. At least with a stack gym you have a better gauge of real weight as the stack is dead weight going up and coming down. With the bowflex you lose too much range of motion as the rods start to keep their bent shape.

So there's no problem with someone not wanting to do free weights. Some exercise is better than no exercise, but I would look at stack gyms before a bowflex. Less changing between exercises with a stack gym as well in comparison to a bowflex.

Body Solid makes some good ones along with Parabody and other similar companies.

Just another option

Good luck.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Overload View Post
    I sell many types of equipment part time and bowflex is one of them so I get to try these things out in the store. Don't care for bowflex at all. It's not true weight. Most bowflexes come with 210lb standard and if you were to do that compared to free weights it's night and day. It's not 210 on a bowflex.
    I don't own one but I have used them at the sports store, and at the time, the total weight went up to what my bench 1 rep max was so I put it on, with out a warm up and did 10 no problem, and there is no way with free weights I would have been able to do 1. So I have disliked them ever since.
    White Sox fan

parkbunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

stack gym

so that's one with the plates correct? takes up about the same amount of space? I will look on parabody when I get home. At work now and they have sports web sites filtered. I'm glad this forum got through though

xxflash will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxflash will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxflash will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxflash will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxflash will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxflash will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxflash will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxflash will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxflash will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxflash will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxflash will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    bowflex=garbage

nuff' said

aikidoka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aikidoka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aikidoka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aikidoka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aikidoka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aikidoka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aikidoka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aikidoka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aikidoka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aikidoka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aikidoka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've had a bowflex and use free weights now.

The bowflex is good if you want something kinda nifty looking and can be tossed in the closet easily. While you dont have to worry about dropping plates on yourself, your actual strength is only 60% of what it says if you try the same thing with free weights. I got that from a sales rep, who said resistance starts at 60% and experience when I tried to do the same "weight" with a barbell and plates.

For the same money, you can get a nice rack, good bench and olympic barbell set with 300lbs at minimum. If space is a concern an open rack or just a bench and some sort of selector dumbell set. You'll be able to do more exercises and have real gains.

Originally Posted by parkbunny View Post
    so that's one with the plates correct? takes up about the same amount of space? I will look on parabody when I get home. At work now and they have sports web sites filtered. I'm glad this forum got through though
    Yes, they are the ones with a stack of weights and some pulleys. There are some good ones that go well over 200lbs and should be enough for most exercises. You can supplement with dumbbells as well. A little free weight won't hurt

http://www.bodysolid.com/Category.as...ectorized+Gyms

BulldogVTX is a name known to all. (+5000) BulldogVTX is a name known to all. (+5000) BulldogVTX is a name known to all. (+5000) BulldogVTX is a name known to all. (+5000) BulldogVTX is a name known to all. (+5000) BulldogVTX is a name known to all. (+5000) BulldogVTX is a name known to all. (+5000) BulldogVTX is a name known to all. (+5000) BulldogVTX is a name known to all. (+5000) BulldogVTX is a name known to all. (+5000) BulldogVTX is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have trained people in the gym and at their homes on freeweights and Bowflex machines. My opinion on the Bowflex is that it at least it gets people training!

NO, the weights are not the same as free weights, but who cares. How many posts have there been on "I just weighed my barbell and it's not 45lbs!", or "I went to a different gym today and I could do 50 more lbs on the Tricep Pushdowns". Numbers aren't that important to everyone, except for maybe people on this board. The only thing that should matter is PROGRESS!

So yes, the "weights" are different, the ROM is different, but that doesn't mean that it's bad. I wouldn't reccomend it for anyone looking to be a competitor or a powerlifter, but for general health and fitness, it's fine. Bottom line = IT GETS YOU OFF YOUR *SS!

And for people that are nervous about getting into a gym and getting pinned under a barbell, this is PERFECT!

I will agree however that for the money that you spend on a Bowflex, you can get a TON of free weights! If you're shopping for a bowflex, go to Craigslist or go to a second hand fitness store! (2nd Wind will almost never have them)

Good luck Brother!