Max Power has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Weight vest for pushups...

I've recently become interested in doing weighted pushups, but haven't had a good way to add weight to them.

I Don't have a strong backpack, or a spotter to put just a plate on my back. So I went to Sports Authority to look at weight vests. And this 40 lb adjustable one was the best they had. And it was $89.99.

I've seen 75 lb weight vests on the internet but they wanted like $280 for them. I can't dole out that cash, especially online.

So I was wondering how the 40 LBer would serve me. Here's a look at it: http://www.thesportsauthority.com/pr...entPage=family

Right now I can do about 36 pushups with my own bodyweight. What do you think adding 40 lbs of resistance would make my pushup total?

I'm dead set on doing weighted pushups, so I don't want to hear how I should "just stick to benching". I've been doing weights for a while but would like to give weighted calesthenics a try.

I only want a build like that of Brad Pitt from Fight Club. So I was wondering if this 40 lb weight vest would be good enough.

massmatters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) massmatters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) massmatters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) massmatters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) massmatters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) massmatters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) massmatters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) massmatters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) massmatters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) massmatters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) massmatters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

you'll get better results doing dips.
    you can make a weight belt for dips buy fastening to regular belts together and hanging a dumbell from them.
    do dips and don't waste your time and money on pushups.
    Train like an animal
    Eat like a horse
    Sleep like a baby
    Grow like a weed

I've got more mass than a church on sunday.

someone, somewhere is training harder with less excuses.

the harder I lift and the more I eat, the better my genetics seem to get.

got www.bodybuildingapplied.com ?

MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000)
    Burnie made some excellent points. You could also use a 40lb vest for dips.

If I want to do weighted pushups, I have my daughter sit on my back.

MiloMan is not very well liked. (-100) MiloMan is not very well liked. (-100) MiloMan is not very well liked. (-100) MiloMan is not very well liked. (-100) MiloMan is not very well liked. (-100) MiloMan is not very well liked. (-100) MiloMan is not very well liked. (-100) MiloMan is not very well liked. (-100) MiloMan is not very well liked. (-100) MiloMan is not very well liked. (-100) MiloMan is not very well liked. (-100)
    You are aware that Pitt used a body double for the close-in shots of the body, aren't you?
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

The Rob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Rob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Rob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Rob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Rob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Rob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Rob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Rob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Rob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Rob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Rob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i don;t get it, is 40lbs enough? I'd need more.
    If birds use their pecs to fly........do gargoyles use their traps?

I went from 95 lbs to 280 RIPPED in 5 weeks eating ONLY eggs, so don't talk to me about hard gainers! (PS: I can deadlift 3 cars and a bus AND I can squat Roseanne)

firstmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) firstmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) firstmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) firstmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) firstmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) firstmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) firstmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) firstmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) firstmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) firstmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) firstmark will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I haven't done pushups with weight vests I want to though.
    One arm pushups are great I think too.
    I just recently tried one armed pushups very slow with ankles bound.
    That is very hard. I can tell you that the difference between one arm pushups on your feet with wide leg spacing and with ankles bound is vast. I went from 13 on my feet right side to 3 with ankles bound.

With the weight vests it seems its eitehr the 40 pound cheapo or the expensive one that is 75 pounds with an optional extra 25 pound weight attachment.
    It would be neat if someone would make a fairly inexpensive machine that rests weight on your back in the pushup position to enable really heavy weighed pushups with ease.

Really just a nice vest with some velcro pockets for sticking plates in would be nice too. Can't find anything cheap like this though.

Oh and a lot of people add resistance to regular pushups by using cables that stretch or rubber band type things.

Max Power has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I investigated resistance bands for pushups, and I found what seems to be a pretty good one, Power Pushups 2.

It claims you can adjust it to be like the resistance of 60, 80, or 120 lbs.

Here's a look at it: http://www.megafitness.com/the-origi...r-push-up.html

Is on Chicken steroids Assassinator's Avatar
    Assassinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Assassinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Assassinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Assassinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Assassinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Assassinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Assassinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Assassinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Assassinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Assassinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Assassinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Dont waste your money bro, get someone to sit on your back.

firstmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) firstmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) firstmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) firstmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) firstmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) firstmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) firstmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) firstmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) firstmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) firstmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) firstmark will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Assasinator and just who invites a buddy over to sit on his back while doing pushups?

Is on Chicken steroids Assassinator's Avatar
    Assassinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Assassinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Assassinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Assassinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Assassinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Assassinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Assassinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Assassinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Assassinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Assassinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Assassinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I doono

You must know someone who weighs like 100-110 lbs.

Get a skinny girlfriend

cramron is just really nice. (+1000) cramron is just really nice. (+1000) cramron is just really nice. (+1000) cramron is just really nice. (+1000) cramron is just really nice. (+1000) cramron is just really nice. (+1000) cramron is just really nice. (+1000) cramron is just really nice. (+1000) cramron is just really nice. (+1000) cramron is just really nice. (+1000) cramron is just really nice. (+1000)
    get a back pack and stuff it with clothes and heavy weights

Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just start benching . For real .
    The Beginner's Guide to Bodybuilding

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101841

MattJawz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

weighted pushups, ok I realize this is 10 years after the question was asked

A backpack or rucksack is better then most vests for what you are looking to do. 40lbs is a lot of weight for pushups since the pushup is an endurance exercise. I was at 60PUs before I started to use backpack, 4-5 pounds totaled 45PUs, then 9-10lbs worked up to 45, 10-12lbs worked up to 45, then 14-15lbs. at 40-44 still there trying to get to 45 reps. I'd stay away for a 75 pound vest it's over kill for now. check out stew smith for a solid pushup routine.

Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I've recently become interested in doing weighted pushups, but haven't had a good way to add weight to them.

I Don't have a strong backpack, or a spotter to put just a plate on my back. So I went to Sports Authority to look at weight vests. And this 40 lb adjustable one was the best they had. And it was $89.99.

I've seen 75 lb weight vests on the internet but they wanted like $280 for them. I can't dole out that cash, especially online.

So I was wondering how the 40 LBer would serve me. Here's a look at it:

Right now I can do about 36 pushups with my own bodyweight. What do you think adding 40 lbs of resistance would make my pushup total?

I'm dead set on doing weighted pushups, so I don't want to hear how I should "just stick to benching". I've been doing weights for a while but would like to give weighted calesthenics a try.

I only want a build like that of Brad Pitt from Fight Club. So I was wondering if this 40 lb weight vest would be good enough.

Message Board King DoWorkSon515's Avatar
    DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000) DoWorkSon515 is just really nice. (+1000)
    strong 10 year bump of peace^

but if anyone is interested, a two-sided cable tower is the most optimal way to perform weighted pushups. Take both the cables and link the carabiners to one another. Slide the carriages to a position whereby your back takes the pressure of the weight in the lowest point of the pushup movement. Put a towel or squat pussy pad over the carabiners if they hurt your neck. I hope this made sense. It's very effective and easy to load.
    *got windows tinted to pick nose while driving crew*
    *waits in car until jacked guys leave the gym crew*
    *spends 2 hours on hair before getting a haircut crew*
    *scared to buy protein powder in person crew*
    *curls more than he benches crew*