gb14772 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Advice on Home Gym Equipment

I currently have a Cybex PG-400 Home Gym, 5-50lb PowerBlocks, a True 500HRT treadmill, a Vision Fitness R200 semi-recumbent fitness cycle, and two sizes of Swiss balls.

My wife/I are mid-50's, want to improve muscle tone and strength.

My wife would like to have a leg press machine. What would be a good leg press machine to get?

Things I don't like about the Cybex Home Gym:
    - single leg leg curls, I'd like a bench that I can lie flat and do two legs at once
    - presses. The pressing arm is fixed width and has an arc. This is OK, but would like more variety on presses, and more variety on other exercises
    - squat attachment is uncomfortable, it loops more around my neck than I like, uncomfortable at higher weight levels, I'm just at about 120 lbs now.

Should I add a Smith machine or Power Rack? My son tells me that a power rack is not good for "old guys", his euphemism for me :-) and a smith machine would be better. I've never used either, so I don't know. so I guess my question is, what other equipment, if any, should I add?

thanks.

Big Shiny Bastard vikingsrule92's Avatar
    vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    well power racks are always good but I definitely wouldn't recommend a smith machine, racks are MUCH better. Power racks make squats a lot more comfortable using a bar as apposed to a fixed machine. I would recommend a rack above a leg press machine and most people on this forum would agree however if you want to get the leg press search these forums for advice because I dont know much about em.

BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Power racks(cages) are just fine for older folks. Just be smart and take your time and learn to do free wieght excercises with CORRECT FORM first before trying to pile on too much weight.

We have a few older folks(men and women)over the age of 50 who come to our college field house and do purely free weight movements like squats,deadlifts,clean and press's etc.

LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I train with older powelifters 58 and 65 years old...so you can use power rack with free weights at any age...Body Solid makes a nice leg press hack squat combo...will cost around $1,200.00
    "Freedom isn't free" How quickly we forget.

surfgod777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgod777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgod777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgod777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgod777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgod777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgod777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgod777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgod777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgod777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgod777 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Here is a solid leg press machine that you can add to your gym that takes up a smaller amount of room than standard press machines.
    http://www.powertecfitness.com/legsled.htm

Here are some other good machines for legs...
    http://bodysolid.com/Item.aspx?ItemI...%26+Hack+Squat
    (This one is what LockOut mentioned, and is good because you can to both a press and squat with it.)

http://bodysolid.com/Item.aspx?ItemI...%26+Calf+Raise
    (Another alternative which combines a hack squats with a calf raise.)

As far as getting a bench that you can utilize to the fullest, look for something like this
    http://bodysolid.com/Item.aspx?ItemI...fDecline+Bench
    (It does incline/decline/flat, and also has the attachment for leg extensions and leg curls.)

DeborahJunebug is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeborahJunebug is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeborahJunebug is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeborahJunebug is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeborahJunebug is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeborahJunebug is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeborahJunebug is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeborahJunebug is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeborahJunebug is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeborahJunebug is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeborahJunebug is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cybex PG400

Originally Posted by gb14772 View Post
    I currently have a Cybex PG-400 Home Gym, 5-50lb PowerBlocks, a True 500HRT treadmill, a Vision Fitness R200 semi-recumbent fitness cycle, and two sizes of Swiss balls.

My wife/I are mid-50's, want to improve muscle tone and strength.

My wife would like to have a leg press machine. What would be a good leg press machine to get?

Things I don't like about the Cybex Home Gym:
    - single leg leg curls, I'd like a bench that I can lie flat and do two legs at once
    - presses. The pressing arm is fixed width and has an arc. This is OK, but would like more variety on presses, and more variety on other exercises
    - squat attachment is uncomfortable, it loops more around my neck than I like, uncomfortable at higher weight levels, I'm just at about 120 lbs now.

Should I add a Smith machine or Power Rack? My son tells me that a power rack is not good for "old guys", his euphemism for me :-) and a smith machine would be better. I've never used either, so I don't know. so I guess my question is, what other equipment, if any, should I add?

thanks.
    I am writing to see if you still have your Cybex PG400? I recently inherited one and am having a very hard time trying to find the assembly and parts manual. Would you happen to have a copy? I would gladly pay you for a copy. Everywhere, so far, does not have a copy availiable. Even Cybex? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Deborah Liberatore

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by DeborahJunebug View Post
    I am writing to see if you still have your Cybex PG400? I recently inherited one and am having a very hard time trying to find the assembly and parts manual. Would you happen to have a copy? I would gladly pay you for a copy. Everywhere, so far, does not have a copy availiable. Even Cybex? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Deborah Liberatore
    This thread is 9 years old, and the OP never returned after that initial post. It's unlikely he'll see your post, but someone else here who may be able to assist you might see it.

I did a quick Google search of some usual sources of old manuals, etc., but didn't turn up anything.

GL.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000)
    On TV, Deborah would have inherited this machine from OP.

On the SciFi channel, OP replies.

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by gb14772 View Post
    OP needs to smack his son upside his head and remind him that he needs to show more respect to his elders and betters.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by AttyGuy View Post
    OP needs to smack his son upside his head and remind him that he needs to show more respect to his elders and betters.

OP's son has moved out, gotten married, had kids, and his kids are now calling him an "old guy".
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Stasher1 View Post
    OP's son has moved out, gotten married, had kids, and his kids are now calling him an "old guy".
    Hope he got his a-- beat by the old man. Probably not.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

DavidSpr is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by DeborahJunebug View Post

Deborah Liberatore
    I have a user/assembly manual for the Cybex PG 400. If you still need it, I can send you a PDF

dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by DavidSpr View Post
    I have a user/assembly manual for the Cybex PG 400. If you still need it, I can send you a PDF
    Oh theyre going to give you a big old money bag for this! Theyve been waiting 13 years

hothanhtam is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You should buy some Pilates equipment, really worth it!

poojasharma143 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) poojasharma143 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) poojasharma143 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) poojasharma143 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) poojasharma143 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) poojasharma143 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) poojasharma143 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) poojasharma143 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) poojasharma143 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) poojasharma143 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    My advice would be to get a simple rack, bench, Olympic barbell, and plates. There's so much versatility in that setup, and it can be a lot cheaper. (It can also be a lot more expensive if you opt for pro-level gear, which you totally don't have to do.) Between the bench press, deadlift, squat, and overhead press, that will work everything.
    Beauty, Beauty tips, Beauty tips and tricks, Beauty tips for women, Home made Beauty tips

nopassword is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Pg 400

Originally Posted by DavidSpr View Post
    If you still have a user manual I would love one! I just purchased one and it is disassembled.
    Thanks