AudreeV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can you do cardio and weight on same day?

Hello, I am new to these boards and I have a few questions.

I had a session with a personal trainer and he told me that you can not do cardio and weight training on the same day. He also told me to only do cardio 2 times a week for 30 minutes a day. I am 29, 5'5 and currently weigh 164. My goal is 145 or so. I just started doing weight training and I am for 3 times a week.

Also, I am doing a low carb diet of under 100 carbs right now called Lean For Life. I have been doing it for 5 weeks now and I have lost 13 pounds. I am getting burned out on being on it though. What would you suggest is your best weight loss way of eating? Thanks for all your help!
    AudreeV
    January 2002 - 204 pounds
    January 2003 - 165 pounds
    Goal - 145 pounds and a super toned body!

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Are you incorporating a cheat day? You probably need to carb up once a week if you're feeling low key. This lets your body know it's not starving & helps stop your metabolism from slowing down. I do morning cardio (pre breakfast) 3 X a week & usually throw in another day of cardio post lifting each week. You should start out with a lower level (say 3 X a week at 30 minutes) and slowly add to this until you get to where you want to be. You could add another 30 minute session or start adding 5 minutes every couple of weeks to your 30 minute cardio sessions.
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

GOOOOO COCKS!!!!!! GOOOOO STEELERS!!!!!

AudreeV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do you do cardio and weight training in the same day? I was told not to, but sometimes my weeks are hectic.
    January 2002 - 204 pounds
    January 2003 - 165 pounds
    Goal - 145 pounds and a super toned body!

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sorry, I didn't notice I didn't give an answer. If you do cardio on weight day, make sure you do it after you lift weights. I'm lifting 4 days a week, so I usually lift Monday, morning interval cardio(25 minutes)+lift Tuesday, cardio wednesday(40minutes), morning interval cardio (25 minutes)+lift Thursday, lift Friday (sometimes I'll cardio after lifting here for 30 minutes), morning interval cardio Saturday(25 minutes), rest Sunday.
    Last edited by Hibiscus09; 02-10-2003 at 05:38 AM.
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

GOOOOO COCKS!!!!!! GOOOOO STEELERS!!!!!

Viola is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Viola is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Viola is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Viola is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Viola is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Viola is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Viola is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Viola is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Viola is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Viola is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Viola is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The trainer at my gym has them all doing cardio after weights. I guess it depends on the trainer.

Viola
    Lead..Follow..Or Get Out Of The Way!!!

07-02-02 170 lbs 5'5" 36% bf
    12-24-02 147 lbs
    03-14-03 152 lbs 25% bf
    03-20-03 150 lbs 24% bf

MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Re: Can you do cardio and weight on same day?

Originally posted by AudreeV

I had a session with a personal trainer and he told me that you can not do cardio and weight training on the same day. He also told me to only do cardio 2 times a week for 30 minutes a day. I am 29, 5'5 and currently weigh 164. My goal is 145 or so. I just started doing weight training and I am for 3 times a week.

Also, I am doing a low carb diet of under 100 carbs right now called Lean For Life. I have been doing it for 5 weeks now and I have lost 13 pounds. I am getting burned out on being on it though. What would you suggest is your best weight loss way of eating? Thanks for all your help!
    AudreeV
    Your trainer told you that you CAN NOT do cardio and training on the same day? Well, that probably would be feasible if you were bulking, but from what you stated your goals are, I'd assume that you were trying to lose weight. Female bodies are a bit more stubborn than mens, so extra cardio is effective for added weight loss unless your diet is 110% spot free clean and exact! Personally I don't see how you can lose 20 pounds with out added cardio (more than an hour a week).

I've dieted for many shows and added a little extra cardio, you have to able to look at your body, do what needs to be done with out going overboard and listen to it as well.

Cardio also depends on your current diet. I would say that adding a couple more days would be beneficial in weight loss, but don't over do it to the point where you burn a large amount of muscle.

Do your cardio on your off training days. You can also do a split; do your cardio in the morning and training at night. If you are doing both in one session, train first and then do your cardio.

Check out www.theelitephysique.com for more information on female fitness, weight loss and bodybuilding.
    MsFit

gaarasabure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Avoid Ketosis

I am experimenting with doing cardio and weights on alternate days. But my main response was regarding the food... the very low carb meal composition works for a short while, but the body fights back via something called "Ketosis". (There are some great articles on the web on this topic). Please avoid this condition as it can have long lasting effects. A great meal composition is 40-30-30 = 40% carbs, and 30% protein and 30% fat. It's filling, satisfying and pushes the body to its max in muscle gain while losing fat simultaneously. The focus is on eating low glycemic carbs that are filling and keep you satified longer. It's worked great for me.
    Hope this helps.

Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Hibiscus09 View Post
    Sorry, I didn't notice I didn't give an answer. If you do cardio on weight day, make sure you do it after you lift weights. I'm lifting 4 days a week, so I usually lift Monday, morning interval cardio(25 minutes)+lift Tuesday, cardio wednesday(40minutes), morning interval cardio (25 minutes)+lift Thursday, lift Friday (sometimes I'll cardio after lifting here for 30 minutes), morning interval cardio Saturday(25 minutes), rest Sunday.
    Wow...that's ALOT of cardio!

Your stats don't seem to indicate that your trying to lose weight...why so much cardio???
    *Obssession is a word the weak use to describe the dedicated

*That which does not kill me ... only makes me stronger!

medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by gaarasabure View Post
    I am experimenting with doing cardio and weights on alternate days. But my main response was regarding the food... the very low carb meal composition works for a short while, but the body fights back via something called "Ketosis". (There are some great articles on the web on this topic). Please avoid this condition as it can have long lasting effects. A great meal composition is 40-30-30 = 40% carbs, and 30% protein and 30% fat. It's filling, satisfying and pushes the body to its max in muscle gain while losing fat simultaneously. The focus is on eating low glycemic carbs that are filling and keep you satified longer. It's worked great for me.
    Hope this helps.
    Since the original post was from 2003, I'm sure she's gotten her answer by this point.
    -

ksepulveda has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Hibiscus09 View Post
    why do you recommend doing the cardio after lifting? thx

ksepulveda has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    [QUOTE=MsFit;1077580]Your trainer told you that you CAN NOT do cardio and training on the same day? Well, that probably would be feasible if you were bulking, but from what you stated your goals are, I'd assume that you were trying to lose weight. Female bodies are a bit more stubborn than mens, so extra cardio is effective for added weight loss unless your diet is 110% spot free clean and exact! Personally I don't see how you can lose 20 pounds with out added cardio (more than an hour a week).

I've dieted for many shows and added a little extra cardio, you have to able to look at your body, do what needs to be done with out going overboard and listen to it as well.

Cardio also depends on your current diet. I would say that adding a couple more days would be beneficial in weight loss, but don't over do it to the point where you burn a large amount of muscle.

Do your cardio on your off training days. You can also do a split; do your cardio in the morning and training at night. If you are doing both in one session, train first and then do your cardio.

why do you recommend doing cardio after lifting? i want to lose weight but i also train 1 muscle group 5 days a week and a trainer friend told me i am supposed to do at least 30 minutes of high intensity cardio x 6 days a week.... although she recommended to do so after a while i felt sick and tired so i stopped. I am doing 4 days of 30-45 minutes but i train after i do cardio i taught this was a good thing since i am all warmed up. Thanks