StartStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) StartStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) StartStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) StartStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) StartStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) StartStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) StartStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) StartStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) StartStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) StartStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) StartStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Merits of Bulking and then Cutting: Advice/Input Appreciated!!

Hey guys,

A little info about me:
    I have been following Rippetoe's for the past 2 months, my journal can be found at http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...=910645&page=1
    My picture progress can be found at:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=962021

I am currently around 178 pounds, but when I started I was around 172. My goal is to go from 172 to 190 by April 1st by doing a lean bulk. My bodyfat is kind of on the higher end, between 16-18, but since my strength is still pretty low I'm focusing on doing a clean bulk to build up strength, then to start a long prolonged cut in April down to 10% BF.

My question is: is there any merit to the belief that if you bulk and build up strength/muscle mass, then cutting becomes easier in the future? That's really the only reason I'm willing to bulk right now and maintain my BF instead of cutting right now and lowering my BF.

I do cardio 4x a week, alternating between aerobic and anaerotic cardio. My diet is also on point (3000 cals, 45/30/25 macros).

Thanks!
    Last edited by StartStrength; 11-14-2006 at 06:55 PM.

StartStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) StartStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) StartStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) StartStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) StartStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) StartStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) StartStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) StartStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) StartStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) StartStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) StartStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    bump (won't bump again)

Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    This is a good read StartStrength
    The truth about bulking.
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1268956
    Neglecting strength no more: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1000362
    youTube vids: http://youtube.com/profile?user=FitnessNut
    my iPhone apps: http://www.yianni-software.com/

Thanks for the reply man!

But what's funny is that this article is what caused me to start this thread! I've read it atleast 2-3 times. I understand everything in the article. But what I still don't understand is that in the long run, if I want to get to 10% BF, is it more efficient that I cut down now, or if if I do a very lean bulk (right now I'm aiming for half a pound a week), try to maintain my BF, gain a good amount of strength/muscle, and then cut down (I'm planning on cutting down when I get to 190). The article does mention the thing about fat cells that accumulate and don't go away, but I have also read numerous times that your body is more efficient in losing fat the more muscle it has (provided your BF doesn't change).

Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by StartStrength
    Thanks for the reply man!

But what's funny is that this article is what caused me to start this thread! I've read it atleast 2-3 times. I understand everything in the article. But what I still don't understand is that in the long run, if I want to get to 10% BF, is it more efficient that I cut down now, or if if I do a very lean bulk (right now I'm aiming for half a pound a week), try to maintain my BF, gain a good amount of strength/muscle, and then cut down (I'm planning on cutting down when I get to 190). The article does mention the thing about fat cells that accumulate and don't go away, but I have also read numerous times that your body is more efficient in losing fat the more muscle it has (provided your BF doesn't change).
    Correct, but the more you bulk now, the higher the chance of increasing your fat cells.

As you'd have read in the article, the more fat cells you accumulate, the more potential 'luggage' you will carry.
    You're better off just eating a little over maintenance and limit your excess fat as you're intending on doing.

The leaner your muscle gains, the less time you need to cut.
    So as long as you limit your gains to muscle and the gain of muscle is > fat,then yes.. You will become more efficient in losing the fat as you become more muscular.
    Neglecting strength no more: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1000362
    youTube vids: http://youtube.com/profile?user=FitnessNut
    my iPhone apps: http://www.yianni-software.com/

Originally Posted by Short One
    The leaner your muscle gains, the less time you need to cut.
    So as long as you limit your gains to muscle and the gain of muscle is > fat,then yes.. You will become more efficient in losing the fat as you become more muscular.
    Yup that's what I thought! I'm not really going for aesthetic purposes in the short run, only the long run. I just want this whole thing to be as efficient as possible, if you get what I mean. Basically I want to get to 10% BF as efficiently as possible.

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    bro...go hang out on ironaddicts forum a little bit....he has several really good articles and threads on this very subject.....the guy has about 70 clients and he seems to be really great at cutting thru the bs and staying very practical

here is a good article from there http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9568

also do a search there for "timed carb" and "recomp"
    "Humility comes before honor"

TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yeah. I suggest do a clean bulk. Try your darndest not to put on any fat.

However, that said, you're right. It IS easier to cut the more muscle you have. That's because muscle is active tissue. The more muscle you have, the more calories it uses up to maintain. Therefore, these calories are NOT stored as fat.

Meaning, you can eat more at 190 than at 170 and still lose the same amount of weight. OR, if you eat the same amount, you'll lose weight FASTER at 190 than 170.

However, to reiterate what I said before, do a clean bulk. It gets yourself in the habit of eating healthily, so all you'll have to do is eat a little less to lose weight later. Rather than having to change your entire daily routine around losing weight.
    Your weakness, whatever it may be, is all in your mind. So is your strength.

"Only in America can you get famous just by changing from being a big fat ass to not being a big fat ass."

-Stan from South Park, on Jared Fogle