Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: bjj or boxing

Otis_Redding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Otis_Redding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Otis_Redding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Otis_Redding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Otis_Redding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Otis_Redding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Otis_Redding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Otis_Redding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Otis_Redding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Otis_Redding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Otis_Redding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Chett
    what did i twist around with the rmax guy? calling it a cult isnt exactly twisting around words but more like actually stating something that i thought of.
    You don't notice yourself doing it I guess, kind of like how I don't see how I do it, like you state I do also.

Labeling a style you have not experienced is nothing but ignorance, but you know this already..or maybe you are that ignorant.
    Workout of Choice:
    Boxing
    Circuit Training

Supplements:
    NOW Omega-3
    NOW Green Phyto Foods
    Green Tea
    Meat
    Marlboro Lights

Chett is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Chett is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Chett is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Chett is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Chett is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Chett is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Chett is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Chett is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Chett is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Chett is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Chett is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    what? just take a look around the rmax site if you dont see the reasoning behind my denouncement of it as a cult. the over-priced videos are advertised on every single page, especially the 1200 dollar package. they have fancy pictures to make people believe in it, and strange words are used to make people think that this is some secret, underground way that is more effective than anything else, and the fellows over there have a strange obsession with scott sonnon, and dont seem to question his credentials, when he boldly talks of himself as one of the biggest martial arts champions around when i can find no solid record of him winning a legitimate well reknowned competition.

the "international" san shou championship he claims to have was won at a "competition" in MOBILE ALABAMA. now why the **** would they hold an international san shou championship in mobile alabama? it just does not seem right, and begs the question if his credentials are truly legitimate.

and can you show me an example of twisting words around yet?
    Last edited by Chett; 11-16-2006 at 02:03 PM.

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by delta9
    i've changed my mind about street fighting. i came to the conclusion that grappling is more useful on the street. even if it's just self defence, even if your fighting multiple opponents grappling is better.

on a 1 vs. 1 street fight where you want to fight then you can grapple and tire the guy out and choke him.

if it's 1 vs 1 and you want to run, then you can run, there is no way a boxer/street fighter can hold down a trained grappler.

if it's 1 vs. multi-attackers then you can run and if you fail then they will have a hard time holding down a grappler, unless they train together to target one opponent.
    here's why I TOTALLY disagree with you
    if it's not a controlled enviroment (Ie it is a real fight) best thing to do is run
    you can't run away once you've started grappling
    you have to go through the extra work of escaping a grapple, just so you can escape the fight

say your in a fight with bob the badass boxer
    you trade a few shots with him and it dosn't take you long to figure out he has you outclassed, if you continue this you will not win
    so you run
    np your still standing

say your in a fight with bob the judoka from hell
    you go to grapple with him and find out he gets top possition
    by the time you have figured out that you are outclassed, you are being choked out, on top of that if you do manage to defend well enough to run away, you ahve to get out of the grapple with him
    how do you get out of a grapple with a better grappler....tap?

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ChickenLarge
    If you want to be a good boxer and compete in boxing DO NOT do both. You will pick up bad habits and tendencies (such as looking at opponents legs or looking for a kick) And it will also hinder your foot work since mma and boxing are completley different at high levels of competition.
    BJJ isn't going to mess up your boxing training
    and it REALLY isn't going to cause you to watch out for kicks

also to the guy 2 above that said boxing was simple
    please do not comment on boxing again obviously you don't know anything about it

Originally Posted by Chett
    when grappling you are much more comfortable than when striking? where the hell did this come from?
    I think I know what he means
    like when I spar compared to when I roll
    I'm better at striking, I'm more dangerous to people hitting them with my fists
    but I'm gloveshy, when grappling I never panic
    never
    if someone's on my back I'm cool
    someone gets knee in stomach I'm cool
    someone has me in a triangle I'm cool and working to escape
    often I don't but hell at least I don't panic

how about if that sweaty guy was a good grappler and you had no experience in grappling? humans are naturally better at grappling than striking, you better be a damm good boxer
    I've been grappling long enough to know that is bs
    humans are naturally CRAPPY at grappling

marvrealdeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) marvrealdeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) marvrealdeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) marvrealdeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) marvrealdeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) marvrealdeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) marvrealdeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) marvrealdeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) marvrealdeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) marvrealdeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) marvrealdeal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i've changed my mind about street fighting. i came to the conclusion that grappling is more useful on the street. even if it's just self defence, even if your fighting multiple opponents grappling is better.

on a 1 vs. 1 street fight where you want to fight then you can grapple and tire the guy out and choke him.

if it's 1 vs 1 and you want to run, then you can run, there is no way a boxer/street fighter can hold down a trained grappler.

if it's 1 vs. multi-attackers then you can run and if you fail then they will have a hard time holding down a grappler, unless they train together to target one opponent.

Completely disagree. First of all all, I would stay well away from fighting another trained fighter, not cos Im scared but I know the damage we can cause to each other. So by this scenario, im fighting untrained fighters.

1v1 - why roll around on the ground when a simple 1-2 combination will drop him to the floor quick? Also looks alot more respectable than rolling around on the floor where people who dont know what their looking at simply thinks you 2 are just outmuscling each other.

1vs multi-attackers. If your a grappler, 1 just has to hold unto your clothes whilst your grappling whilst the other kicks you in the head. Ive seen a boxer quickly KD 2 guys with 2 punches...if you grapple you have to waste 2min or so trying to submit the guy and 2min is more than enough for his partner to kick you in the head. Its much easier to just KD 1 guy and only have 1 guy to deal with, or KD 1 guy and run like hell....or KD 1 guy but fail anyways and see that your in trouble so run like hell. Once your enagaged in grappling, it takes time to get out and it only takes 2 seconds to get your head kicked in.

Has anyone really seen BJJ vs more than 1 attacker in demonstration or how it would work in theory? It really is a 1v1 art...only grappling I know that deals with more than 1 attacker is aikido and wrestling if your very overpowering. The whole point of BJJ is groundwork...how do you deal with multiple attackers when you have your legs wrapped around 1?

bjjwraslter7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjjwraslter7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjjwraslter7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjjwraslter7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjjwraslter7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjjwraslter7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjjwraslter7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjjwraslter7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjjwraslter7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjjwraslter7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjjwraslter7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Kane Fan
    I've been grappling long enough to know that is bs
    humans are naturally CRAPPY at grappling
    Agreed. I've noticed EVERY untrained street fighter I've talked to considers themselves a striker and don't want anything to do with grappling.

bjjwraslter7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjjwraslter7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjjwraslter7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjjwraslter7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjjwraslter7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjjwraslter7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjjwraslter7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjjwraslter7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjjwraslter7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjjwraslter7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bjjwraslter7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by marvrealdeal
    Completely disagree. First of all all, I would stay well away from fighting another trained fighter, not cos Im scared but I know the damage we can cause to each other. So by this scenario, im fighting untrained fighters.

1v1 - why roll around on the ground when a simple 1-2 combination will drop him to the floor quick? Also looks alot more respectable than rolling around on the floor where people who dont know what their looking at simply thinks you 2 are just outmuscling each other.

1vs multi-attackers. If your a grappler, 1 just has to hold unto your clothes whilst your grappling whilst the other kicks you in the head. Ive seen a boxer quickly KD 2 guys with 2 punches...if you grapple you have to waste 2min or so trying to submit the guy and 2min is more than enough for his partner to kick you in the head. Its much easier to just KD 1 guy and only have 1 guy to deal with, or KD 1 guy and run like hell....or KD 1 guy but fail anyways and see that your in trouble so run like hell. Once your enagaged in grappling, it takes time to get out and it only takes 2 seconds to get your head kicked in.

Has anyone really seen BJJ vs more than 1 attacker in demonstration or how it would work in theory? It really is a 1v1 art...only grappling I know that deals with more than 1 attacker is aikido and wrestling if your very overpowering. The whole point of BJJ is groundwork...how do you deal with multiple attackers when you have your legs wrapped around 1?
    It doesn't take 2 minutes to takedown and gain control of a person that isn't a trained grappler. It usualy takes me a matter of seconds to take down a larger untrained person. Then again I'm mainly a wrestler not a bjj guy, it would probably take a guy that only does bjj a while longer to get the td.\

Also holding onto your clothes doesn't do **** unless they train with a gi and know how to correctly use it. People grab my clothes all the time while were grappling and it doesn't do anything except piss me off that they are stretching my shirt.

Originally Posted by Kane Fan
    here's why I TOTALLY disagree with you
    if it's not a controlled enviroment (Ie it is a real fight) best thing to do is run
    you can't run away once you've started grappling
    you have to go through the extra work of escaping a grapple, just so you can escape the fight

say your in a fight with bob the badass boxer
    you trade a few shots with him and it dosn't take you long to figure out he has you outclassed, if you continue this you will not win
    so you run
    np your still standing

say your in a fight with bob the judoka from hell
    you go to grapple with him and find out he gets top possition
    by the time you have figured out that you are outclassed, you are being choked out, on top of that if you do manage to defend well enough to run away, you ahve to get out of the grapple with him
    how do you get out of a grapple with a better grappler....tap?
    Don't agree with this at all. Will elaborate later don't have time.

I throw spinning sh*t HardGainer82's Avatar
    HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by marvrealdeal

I agree with pretty much all of your post in principle. But in your 1v1 point...if I'm in a streetfight I don't give a flying rats ass whether or not it looks respectable to onlookers.
    "The sun is always gonna rise, and always gonna set and I'll just keep on punching because everyday is gonna bring something different and I just want to be ready for it."
    - Jens Pulver

If you refer to a fighter who you've never met in real life as "my boy" as though their performance somehow reflects well on you for simply being a fan, you're a lame ass.