Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 43
  1. #1
    Registered User Fishman35's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Age: 54
    Posts: 29
    Rep Power: 0
    Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Fishman35 is offline

    Anyone used the Ultimate Smith 2?

    This is a unit made by Fitness Gear and sold by Dick's sporting goods. Very heavy duty and smooth action all the way around. $799.00 without the bench. (Bench with preacher and leg attchment-$179.00). I am very impressed with this unit.

    Anybody got one of these?

    Thanks,
    Fish
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User HitItHard's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: NC
    Posts: 5,255
    Rep Power: 889
    HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    HitItHard is offline
    anything sold by dicks sucks ass
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Banned BDI6942's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Age: 50
    Posts: 303
    Rep Power: 0
    BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    BDI6942 is offline
    Originally Posted by Fishman35
    This is a unit made by Fitness Gear and sold by Dick's sporting goods. Very heavy duty and smooth action all the way around. $799.00 without the bench. (Bench with preacher and leg attchment-$179.00). I am very impressed with this unit.

    Anybody got one of these?

    Thanks,
    Fish
    I know exactly the one your talking about. It supposedly "retailed" for $1999, the tag says $1200 off correct? It is far from heavy duty.

    Its junk, pass..................
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User HitItHard's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: NC
    Posts: 5,255
    Rep Power: 889
    HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    HitItHard is offline
    Originally Posted by BDI6942
    I know exactly the one your talking about. It supposedly "retailed" for $1999, the tag says $1200 off correct? It is far from heavy duty.

    Its junk, pass..................
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BDI6942 again.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User BMK11's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Age: 41
    Posts: 7
    Rep Power: 0
    BMK11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BMK11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BMK11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    BMK11 is offline
    First off, I've been a long time observer to this board, especially the Equipment Forum. There is a vast amount of knowledge and experience that gets passed around and helps others with their equipment purchases. I've never been tempted to voice an opinion until now.
    I'm going to have to disagree with BDI6942 (as many have) and HitItHard. I have owned the Ultimate Smith II for just about a year now. I purchased it last Thanksgiving for the $799 price tag. I will agree, that $1999 is a bit excessive, but thatís just typical retail pricing, nobody will ever pay that.
    Now, before you make the broad statement that ALL of Dick's equipment is junk or "suck ass", you really should try this machine out. As, Fishman said, it is very smooth. I have yet to use a home gym with cable attachments of this quality. The 2 high and 2 low pulleys, as well as low center and mid-center pulleys make just about ANY cable exercise possible. The pulley action is plastic bushing, but not your typical design. The rollers on the back make the rolling action gym quality smooth. I'm not trying to blow smoke up anyone's a$$ here. I really believe the quality is outstanding. I've had plastic bushing cable systems before and the difference is night and day.
    The Smith Machine bar is also ball-bearing, not the plastic bushing you get on most Smith Machines from the Box Stores. Again, I think it is gym quality smooth.
    It also has a front gun rack, for use of a barbell. As well as large spotter bars for the front. I know the front spotter bars don't make it a cage, but I've dropped 405 lbs (and I mean dropped) from a squat, and they held the weight just fine.
    So, combine the pulley system, Smith Machine, Peck Deck, Pull-up bar and of course, front gun rack for your barbell and your have a very impressive piece of equipment.
    I workout in my basement and this machine (combined with dumbells), gives me all I need for a killer workout. Fishman, if you think this machine is right for you then get it. Rest assured, it is a quality piece of equipment that will not disappoint.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User Fishman35's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Age: 54
    Posts: 29
    Rep Power: 0
    Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Fishman35 is offline
    Thanks BMK11! I am going to purchase it this weekend. I just needed to hear from someone who actually owns, or has owned, one these units.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    CaneGuru Dinotrainer's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Posts: 1,617
    Rep Power: 685
    Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Dinotrainer is offline
    Originally Posted by Fishman35
    Thanks BMK11! I am going to purchase it this weekend. I just needed to hear from someone who actually owns, or has owned, one these units.
    Heres another one you may want to consider http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...light=chitwood
    Don't complicate things by making things complicated.....
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User HitItHard's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: NC
    Posts: 5,255
    Rep Power: 889
    HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    HitItHard is offline
    Originally Posted by BMK11
    First off, I've been a long time observer to this board, especially the Equipment Forum. There is a vast amount of knowledge and experience that gets passed around and helps others with their equipment purchases. I've never been tempted to voice an opinion until now.
    I'm going to have to disagree with BDI6942 (as many have) and HitItHard. I have owned the Ultimate Smith II for just about a year now. I purchased it last Thanksgiving for the $799 price tag. I will agree, that $1999 is a bit excessive, but thatís just typical retail pricing, nobody will ever pay that.
    Now, before you make the broad statement that ALL of Dick's equipment is junk or "suck ass", you really should try this machine out. As, Fishman said, it is very smooth. I have yet to use a home gym with cable attachments of this quality. The 2 high and 2 low pulleys, as well as low center and mid-center pulleys make just about ANY cable exercise possible. The pulley action is plastic bushing, but not your typical design. The rollers on the back make the rolling action gym quality smooth. I'm not trying to blow smoke up anyone's a$$ here. I really believe the quality is outstanding. I've had plastic bushing cable systems before and the difference is night and day.
    The Smith Machine bar is also ball-bearing, not the plastic bushing you get on most Smith Machines from the Box Stores. Again, I think it is gym quality smooth.
    It also has a front gun rack, for use of a barbell. As well as large spotter bars for the front. I know the front spotter bars don't make it a cage, but I've dropped 405 lbs (and I mean dropped) from a squat, and they held the weight just fine.
    So, combine the pulley system, Smith Machine, Peck Deck, Pull-up bar and of course, front gun rack for your barbell and your have a very impressive piece of equipment.
    I workout in my basement and this machine (combined with dumbells), gives me all I need for a killer workout. Fishman, if you think this machine is right for you then get it. Rest assured, it is a quality piece of equipment that will not disappoint.
    thats not the point, the point is why would anyone bother spending that kind of money on a crap TYPE of product when you could get a 10x more efficient workout with less $. Why the HELL would anyone buy a smith machine is beyond me.
    I don't care if the quality was the best ever, I still would never waste my money on a sucky ass pu#sy smith machine.
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User tsg2513's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2006
    Age: 59
    Posts: 161
    Rep Power: 310
    tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tsg2513 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    tsg2513 is offline
    Why not just change the name of this site to "Get a Power Rack". It seems that this is the standard line when someone asks about any other type of home gym or smith machine. I for one like variety and I'm blessed enough to be able to afford whatever equipment I want. I happen to own (or have owned in the past) a smith machine, powertec leverage machines, bowflex ultimate, functional cable machine and yes, even a power rack. I tend to change my equipment around on an annual basis. Smith machines are great. Just try to mix it up with dumbell and cable movements to work the stabilizers.
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User BMK11's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Age: 41
    Posts: 7
    Rep Power: 0
    BMK11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BMK11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BMK11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    BMK11 is offline
    Originally Posted by HitItHard
    thats not the point, the point is why would anyone bother spending that kind of money on a crap TYPE of product when you could get a 10x more efficient workout with less $. Why the HELL would anyone buy a smith machine is beyond me.
    I don't care if the quality was the best ever, I still would never waste my money on a sucky ass pu#sy smith machine.
    Well anyone who works out with heavy free-weights by himself, in his basement, would probably be considered an idiot as well. But that is just the reality of things. I think those of us who work out in our basements are just looking for the most efficient machines, at a good price, that won't put us at risk of injury.
    I agree that using free weights is far better than using the Smith Machine feature. Thats why this machine has a front gun rack, with solid spotter attachments. The Smith Machine isn't the bread and butter of this machine, just an additional feature. For some, the Smith Machine provides the added security that they can lift heavy weights without the risk of injuring themselves. It you don't need it, don't use it.

    I am quite interested how one can get a "10x more efficient workout" in a powercage or any other machine. Could you please give me examples of exercises that you can do in powercage that I can't do with my Ultimate Smith II.
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Registered User smithski's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Location: Montana
    Age: 49
    Posts: 30
    Rep Power: 0
    smithski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smithski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smithski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smithski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smithski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smithski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smithski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    smithski is offline
    Originally Posted by HitItHard
    thats not the point, the point is why would anyone bother spending that kind of money on a crap TYPE of product when you could get a 10x more efficient workout with less $. Why the HELL would anyone buy a smith machine is beyond me.
    I don't care if the quality was the best ever, I still would never waste my money on a sucky ass pu#sy smith machine.
    While you are obviously a well-spoken individual , there are actually a few reasons to get a Smith. I just purchased a Keys half-cage with a 7-degree Smith in the cage and a gunrack on the front. My reasons for doing this:

    *My whole family (including my wife and 13 & 15 year old boys) will be working out on the machine. A Smith has that extra degree of safety in case they get in a situation over their head.

    *Like it or not, a Smith does change things up a bit regarding monotony. It's nice to be able to load up some extra weight and just concentrate on pushing every now and then.

    *I have a recurring wrist tendon injury -- using the Smith to 'stabilize' the weight allows me to focus solely on pushing the weight through my palms; as opposed to aggravating the wrist by being limited by my grip.

    That being said, I fully agree with the point of your post...free weights are the way to go by and large for everybody. If it's in the cards, a Smith can be a nice addition to a home gym though.
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Registered User Fishman35's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Age: 54
    Posts: 29
    Rep Power: 0
    Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Fishman35 is offline

    Talking

    Thanks everybody. Maybe I should have mentioned that I will using dumbbells and bars as well. In the gym I use free weights, but I also love cable cross overs, pec deck, leg curls, rope ab crunches, etc. That is why I am looking at this machine. It has all of that, and it is gym quality in motion and feel. I will still be doing hammer curls, overhead presses, 21's, lying flys, etc, but the Smith deal for squats and heavy benching is sweet.

    Thank you for your comments. I pick it up today.
    Reply With Quote

  13. #13
    Banned BDI6942's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Age: 50
    Posts: 303
    Rep Power: 0
    BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    BDI6942 is offline
    Originally Posted by BMK11
    First off, I've been a long time observer to this board, especially the Equipment Forum. There is a vast amount of knowledge and experience that gets passed around and helps others with their equipment purchases. I've never been tempted to voice an opinion until now.
    I'm going to have to disagree with BDI6942 (as many have) and HitItHard. I have owned the Ultimate Smith II for just about a year now. I purchased it last Thanksgiving for the $799 price tag. I will agree, that $1999 is a bit excessive, but that’s just typical retail pricing, nobody will ever pay that.
    Now, before you make the broad statement that ALL of Dick's equipment is junk or "suck ass", you really should try this machine out. As, Fishman said, it is very smooth. I have yet to use a home gym with cable attachments of this quality. The 2 high and 2 low pulleys, as well as low center and mid-center pulleys make just about ANY cable exercise possible. The pulley action is plastic bushing, but not your typical design. The rollers on the back make the rolling action gym quality smooth. I'm not trying to blow smoke up anyone's a$$ here. I really believe the quality is outstanding. I've had plastic bushing cable systems before and the difference is night and day.
    The Smith Machine bar is also ball-bearing, not the plastic bushing you get on most Smith Machines from the Box Stores. Again, I think it is gym quality smooth.
    It also has a front gun rack, for use of a barbell. As well as large spotter bars for the front. I know the front spotter bars don't make it a cage, but I've dropped 405 lbs (and I mean dropped) from a squat, and they held the weight just fine.
    So, combine the pulley system, Smith Machine, Peck Deck, Pull-up bar and of course, front gun rack for your barbell and your have a very impressive piece of equipment.
    I workout in my basement and this machine (combined with dumbells), gives me all I need for a killer workout. Fishman, if you think this machine is right for you then get it. Rest assured, it is a quality piece of equipment that will not disappoint.
    That thing is CR@P. First off, the smith machine itself, has very limited safety lockout points, and there have been a few complaints on another forum about people getting locked(weight crushed against the chest) under the smith bar due to the lack of safety points allocated on that Smith bar. Secodly the guide rods on that Smith bar flex considerably. They are UNDERSIZED. I couldnt get over how small they were. I could flex them back and forth without any weight on the smith bar. Smith bars are worthless anyway. $799 buys you MUCH BETTER free weight equipment. Peck deck? Please, useless. The split plastic bearing cable system? Gym quality? Smooth? Obviously you havent been to a gym recently and don't know what smooth action is. But smooth is not a square plastic bushing housing riding up and down a square steel sleeve. Its about as cheap as it gets. And people who do have experience with this type of lever action knows all it takes is just one scratch on that plastic sleeve or some decent wear and tear and that "smooth action" is GONE. As stated, there is a big reason why a combo smith/half cage/pec deck/cable fly/Johnson jogger is only $799. Half the features on that setup are close to worthless for the human anatomy anyway. I couldn't get over how bulky and ineficient that thing was on wasted space, most full cages take up less space than that contraption too.

    No thanks, in the reality of it all $800 buys you MUCH better equipment on the market. I just spent $850 on a new cage, lat setup. I got a Dick's Sporting goods right down the store. Think I even considered going there? Um, I passed go and collected $200.

    Be smart, get a quality FULL cage(with a quality traditional hi/lo lat attachment) and a quality FID bench. Do the REAL excercises.
    Last edited by BDI6942; 11-18-2006 at 08:18 AM.
    Reply With Quote

  14. #14
    Registered User HitItHard's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: NC
    Posts: 5,255
    Rep Power: 889
    HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    HitItHard is offline
    Originally Posted by BDI6942
    That thing is CR@P. First off, the smith machine itself, has very limited safety lockout points, and there have been a few complaints on another forum about people getting locked(weight crushed against the chest) under the smith bar due to the lack of safety points allocated on that Smith bar. Secodly the guide rods on that Smith bar flex considerably. They are UNDERSIZED. I couldnt get over how small they were. I could flex them back and forth without any weight on the smith bar. Smith bars are worthless anyway. $799 buys you MUCH BETTER free weight equipment. Peck deck? Please, useless. The split plastic bearing cable system? Gym quality? Smooth? Obviously you havent been to a gym recently and don't know what smooth action is. But smooth is not a square plastic bushing housing riding up and down a square steel sleeve. Its about as cheap as it gets. And people who do have experience with this type of lever action knows all it takes is just one scratch on that plastic sleeve or some decent wear and tear and that "smooth action" is GONE. As stated, there is a big reason why a combo smith/half cage/pec deck/cable fly/Johnson jogger is only $799. Half the features on that setup are close to worthless for the human anatomy anyway. I couldn't get over how bulky and ineficient that thing was on wasted space, most full cages take up less space than that contraption too.

    No thanks, in the reality of it all $800 buys you MUCH better equipment on the market. I just spent $850 on a new cage, lat setup. I got a Dick's Sporting goods right down the store. Think I even considered going there? Um, I passed go and collected $200.

    Be smart, get a quality FULL cage(with a quality traditional hi/lo lat attachment) and a quality FID bench. Do the REAL excercises.
    hell yea.

    its so fun to blast bowflex owners, they all deserve to die.
    Reply With Quote

  15. #15
    Banned BDI6942's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Age: 50
    Posts: 303
    Rep Power: 0
    BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    BDI6942 is offline
    Its just too bad, people don't realize how good some of the home equipment is out there. Alot of the people who walk into places like Dicks looking for total gym packages don't understand that for the same money or in many cases much less, they can get equipment thats totally superior in every aspect to what they offer at some of those general purpose chain stores. The only thing thats worth picking up at Dick's are their 300lb. Olympic weight sets for $109(and I get it only for the weights and sell off the olympic bar CHEAP), their floor mats, lifting gloves, and a few other very small acessories. Thats about it.
    Reply With Quote

  16. #16
    Registered User BMK11's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Age: 41
    Posts: 7
    Rep Power: 0
    BMK11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BMK11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BMK11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    BMK11 is offline
    BDI-

    I compare you to a Ford Guy. Your the guy who cries to anyone that will listen, that Ford makes the greatest truck ever and everything else is crap. Chevy...crap. Dodge...crap. Toyota....imported crap blah blah blah.
    Now Ford Guy is right that Ford makes a damn good truck, but to say that every other truck sucks isn't really the truth. Lots of other trucks are good trucks, who's owners will swear by them and who are happier than pigs in swine when they drive it. But, you don't understand their enjoyment and will always try to convince them that their truck sucks and they'll never be happy untill then get a Ford.
    Enjoy your Ford. If someone asks what truck they should get, tell them to buy a Ford. But if someone asks about a Tundra and a current Tundra driver says he loves it, and that he bought it instead of a Ford because he liked it better.... don't try to convince him that he's an idiot. Let him enjoy his Tundra.
    Reply With Quote

  17. #17
    Banned BDI6942's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Age: 50
    Posts: 303
    Rep Power: 0
    BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    BDI6942 is offline
    Originally Posted by BMK11
    BDI-

    I compare you to a Ford Guy. Your the guy who cries to anyone that will listen, that Ford makes the greatest truck ever and everything else is crap. Chevy...crap. Dodge...crap. Toyota....imported crap blah blah blah.
    Now Ford Guy is right that Ford makes a damn good truck, but to say that every other truck sucks isn't really the truth. Lots of other trucks are good trucks, who's owners will swear by them and who are happier than pigs in swine when they drive it. But, you don't understand their enjoyment and will always try to convince them that their truck sucks and they'll never be happy untill then get a Ford.
    Enjoy your Ford. If someone asks what truck they should get, tell them to buy a Ford. But if someone asks about a Tundra and a current Tundra driver says he loves it, and that he bought it instead of a Ford because he liked it better.... don't try to convince him that he's an idiot. Let him enjoy his Tundra.
    Unfortunately, he(and you) didn't buy a Toyota, or a Ford, or a Chevy, or a Dodge. You BOTH(hopefully he was smart and laid off that cr@pper Johnson jogger) bought a YUGO.

    I dont recommend people to just buy one brand as you suggest in your analogy of me. I recommend people to buy QUALITY equipment(and there are a number of brands I recommend). And you aren't gonna find it a Dick's.
    Reply With Quote

  18. #18
    Registered User Goliath-J's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Age: 50
    Posts: 6
    Rep Power: 0
    Goliath-J has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Goliath-J is offline
    BDI,

    You make a number of statements that people can get quality equipment elsewhere. Can you please direct me to where you can obtain such equipment and the manufacturers? I am in the market to put together a new home gym and was interested in the Ultimate Smith II as well. It seems just from getting out an looking that this was one of the better systems that I could purchase at any of the local stores. I have been a member of a number of gyms over the past 16 years and used to bodybuild up until 5 years ago. So I know what quality "commercial" equipment is like, yet do not have a $4000-$10000 to put together a gym like that. I am willing to spend roughly $2000 (ultimate smith II, weights, bars, bench, etc) and a smith machine does interest me because I will be working out by myself. As well the cable pulley system interest me too. So again I would just like to know where you or anyone on this forum would suggest looking for a "somewhat" compact home gym setup? Thanks to anyone that responds.
    Reply With Quote

  19. #19
    Banned BDI6942's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Age: 50
    Posts: 303
    Rep Power: 0
    BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    BDI6942 is offline
    Originally Posted by Goliath-J
    BDI,

    You make a number of statements that people can get quality equipment elsewhere. Can you please direct me to where you can obtain such equipment and the manufacturers? I am in the market to put together a new home gym and was interested in the Ultimate Smith II as well. It seems just from getting out an looking that this was one of the better systems that I could purchase at any of the local stores. I have been a member of a number of gyms over the past 16 years and used to bodybuild up until 5 years ago. So I know what quality "commercial" equipment is like, yet do not have a $4000-$10000 to put together a gym like that. I am willing to spend roughly $2000 (ultimate smith II, weights, bars, bench, etc) and a smith machine does interest me because I will be working out by myself. As well the cable pulley system interest me too. So again I would just like to know where you or anyone on this forum would suggest looking for a "somewhat" compact home gym setup? Thanks to anyone that responds.
    I'd be glad to help out. First off try Jesup's gym equipment. On Body Solid and some basic bars they have pretty darn good prices: http://www.jesupgym.com/

    Since your looking for an honest "all-in-one" system. And price matters first. I would look at they Body Solid Series 7 Smith Gym. Jesups sells that unit SHIPPED to your door for just under $1800 I believe. And that includes the GFID71 HD bench. Killer price. Probably the best bang for the buck you will find. Excellent no BS equipment. Built of 11 and 12 gauge tubing. The selctorized stack uses dual hardened rail sliders, the smith bar features good sized linear bearings and beefy slider bars that DO NOT flex, and there are plenty of lockout points. Plus it has a bar and olympic plate holders. Good quality half cage with gunrack. One thing it does lack though is a traditional pullup bar, but you can use the Smith bar itself in the top locked out position of course, here is the link: http://www.bodysolid.com/Item.aspx?I...es+7+Smith+Gym

    The Lamar LS541 is also another great option, its a step up in build quality over the Body Solid unit,soley built of 11 gauge, but its pricetag is also a step up, around $2600 for Smith and Bench. This unit doesn't have a traditional hi/low lat. Instead though it comes with a multi angle pull up bar(bonus), and hi/lo cable crossovers, and a low cable row foot grip plate. Its a sweet unit. I played with one when I went to pick up my Lamar equipment. Here is the link: http://www.lamarhfs.com/0054104.html

    Another good option is the Titan TX IF you can stretch your budget to about $2500 without bench, $3500 roughly for the full Titan package with bench. I seriously thought about the Titan, but decided I'd rather keep with seperates, but the Titan is probably the best "all-in-one" machine on the market. But you will PAY for it. But its 10 and 11 gauge construction and well designed setup does make it worth the investment if you can squeeze out an extra $1500. Best price is through John Stone Fitness webboard. Here is a link: http://www.fitcore.com/
    Last edited by BDI6942; 11-20-2006 at 07:10 AM.
    Reply With Quote

  20. #20
    Registered User Biggerfoot's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Location: Ohio
    Posts: 748
    Rep Power: 1510
    Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000)
    Biggerfoot is offline
    I went out to Dicks this past weekend. They used to sell a full cage that would fit in my low basement. Unfortunately, it appears they stopped selling them. I did look at the Smith Machine there...it looked okay for beginning home use.
    Reply With Quote

  21. #21
    Registered User JML1's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Age: 45
    Posts: 254
    Rep Power: 194
    JML1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JML1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JML1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JML1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JML1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JML1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JML1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JML1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JML1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JML1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JML1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    JML1 is offline
    I have it and think that it is great. Its a good home gym. It takes up alot of room in the basement thought. Get a good full body workout with it. This machine is very durable.
    Reply With Quote

  22. #22
    Registered User Goliath-J's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Age: 50
    Posts: 6
    Rep Power: 0
    Goliath-J has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Goliath-J is offline
    BDI,

    Thanks for the excellent response. I will look into each of those and let everyone know my thoughts.
    Reply With Quote

  23. #23
    Registered User Gaffigan's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Age: 32
    Posts: 881
    Rep Power: 0
    Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Gaffigan is offline
    Could I see a picture of this thing?
    Reply With Quote

  24. #24
    Banned BDI6942's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Age: 50
    Posts: 303
    Rep Power: 0
    BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    BDI6942 is offline
    Originally Posted by Gaffigan
    Could I see a picture of this thing?
    Of what thing?
    Reply With Quote

  25. #25
    Registered User Goliath-J's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Age: 50
    Posts: 6
    Rep Power: 0
    Goliath-J has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Goliath-J is offline
    Well of course as I have gotten out and done more research the price has sky-rocketed. Thus the wonders of research and the internet. Anyway have you ever heard of or seen the ProSpot equipment? In particular the P-500? Here is a link:
    http://www.prospotfitness.com/pages/p500.html
    I actually visited a local specialty fitness store in search of the Body-Solid Series 7 and they had one of the P-500's setup. VERY nice, and MUCH more like free weight movements. As well it comes with all of the accessories (Lat-pull, low/hi pulleys, dip-rack, ab-deck, high chin-bar, peck-deck, and bench) and 310lbs of Olympic weights for $3000. I think $3000 is going to have to be the max for me. I just cannot go any higher than that. I like the Titan equipment a lot as well. I am just afraid by they time I outfitted it the way I would like it would be $4000. Again I certainly welcome anyones feedback and thoughts. It is greatly appreciated.
    Reply With Quote

  26. #26
    Banned BDI6942's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Age: 50
    Posts: 303
    Rep Power: 0
    BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    BDI6942 is offline
    Originally Posted by Goliath-J
    Well of course as I have gotten out and done more research the price has sky-rocketed. Thus the wonders of research and the internet. Anyway have you ever heard of or seen the ProSpot equipment? In particular the P-500? Here is a link:
    http://www.prospotfitness.com/pages/p500.html
    I actually visited a local specialty fitness store in search of the Body-Solid Series 7 and they had one of the P-500's setup. VERY nice, and MUCH more like free weight movements. As well it comes with all of the accessories (Lat-pull, low/hi pulleys, dip-rack, ab-deck, high chin-bar, peck-deck, and bench) and 310lbs of Olympic weights for $3000. I think $3000 is going to have to be the max for me. I just cannot go any higher than that. I like the Titan equipment a lot as well. I am just afraid by they time I outfitted it the way I would like it would be $4000. Again I certainly welcome anyones feedback and thoughts. It is greatly appreciated.
    Ive messed with a few of the Prospot machines in the past. They are "OK" but the demo units I played with had issues with hanging up(locking out due to sweat, hand repositioning etc) during movements. Wasn't fully impressed. The build quality on some of those machines was less than stellar too. Your paying for the grip sensor technology with average quality equipment.

    Im curious though, how has your pricing "skyrocketed"? Like I said, you can grab the Body Solid Series 7 setup for about $1750 delivered. And its built well with no gimmicks.
    Reply With Quote

  27. #27
    Registered User Goliath-J's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Age: 50
    Posts: 6
    Rep Power: 0
    Goliath-J has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Goliath-J is offline
    BDI,

    Oh no, please do not get me wrong. By "sky-rocketed" I simply meant that the more I get out and look the more I am drawn to the "quality" equipment such as the Titan. The Body-Solid looks to be a great system for under $2000. As well the Body-Solid offers a Life-Time warranty on "everything" other than the pads. That's right even the cable's and pulley. I think that is VERY impressive and a testament to their build-quality and faith in the product. However in the Titan I like the "upgradeability" it offers, so I can grow the system in the future. I called and spoke to Fitcore on the phone to get a quote for the Titan T-X with the accessories I wanted and it came to just over $3000 including shipping. They were extremely nice and very professional to deal with. Do you think the Titan is "truly" worth it over the Body-Solid? And I know that is a very subjective question, however if it were you what would you do? For me it is a matter of trying to decide if the Titan really does offer that many more exercises than the Body-Solid. And if so will I really take advantage of them? Man just a tough decision, and I just have to figure out if it is worth the additional $1000. Any thoughts? Sorry for all of the questions, yet I really do appreciate the assistance.
    Reply With Quote

  28. #28
    Banned BDI6942's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Age: 50
    Posts: 303
    Rep Power: 0
    BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    BDI6942 is offline
    Originally Posted by Goliath-J
    BDI,

    Oh no, please do not get me wrong. By "sky-rocketed" I simply meant that the more I get out and look the more I am drawn to the "quality" equipment such as the Titan. The Body-Solid looks to be a great system for under $2000. As well the Body-Solid offers a Life-Time warranty on "everything" other than the pads. That's right even the cable's and pulley. I think that is VERY impressive and a testament to their build-quality and faith in the product. However in the Titan I like the "upgradeability" it offers, so I can grow the system in the future. I called and spoke to Fitcore on the phone to get a quote for the Titan T-X with the accessories I wanted and it came to just over $3000 including shipping. They were extremely nice and very professional to deal with. Do you think the Titan is "truly" worth it over the Body-Solid? And I know that is a very subjective question, however if it were you what would you do? For me it is a matter of trying to decide if the Titan really does offer that many more exercises than the Body-Solid. And if so will I really take advantage of them? Man just a tough decision, and I just have to figure out if it is worth the additional $1000. Any thoughts? Sorry for all of the questions, yet I really do appreciate the assistance.
    FIrst off, did you mention to Fitcore that your a member of John Stones webboard? Make sure you do so you get the special pricing and free accesories.

    Second. I think the Titan is worthy of the cash if you only have space for one machine. Otherwise if you have a large room where you can put multiple stations in it, I would go seperates from a Company Like Lamar. The Titan recommendation comes with space limitation. But if you only want one machine that does it all. Titan is the ONLY one to go with thats worth the cash.
    Reply With Quote

  29. #29
    Registered User Fishman35's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Age: 54
    Posts: 29
    Rep Power: 0
    Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fishman35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Fishman35 is offline

    Update

    I set up my Ultimate Smith II this weekend and I could not be happier. I get a full pump, just like I never left the gym. My roommate is real happy because he has had 5 back surgeries and likes the safety of the smith. I did some free benching using the gun racks on the front. (You don't have to use the smith if you don't want to). I got 540 lbs of used dumbells and there is a perfect amount of room inside the cage to do flys, presses, one arm rows, etc with the bells.

    You know, after reading some of the negative post about this machine, I have to say that it is human nature to feel what you use, or made an investment in, is the only thing that works. Not everyone on this board wants to do this for a living. Some of us just want to get fit and have some good gains. I am a rock musician and the last thing I want to do is look like Kane Roberts with my guitar on.

    Each to his own. I have found what I was looking for. Maybe someday, if I decide to become a platehead and compete, then I will buy the $3,000.00 unit. Until then, this will do the job just fine. Thanks for the post for people who actually own one of these. That is what I asked for.
    Reply With Quote

  30. #30
    Registered User HitItHard's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: NC
    Posts: 5,255
    Rep Power: 889
    HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HitItHard is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    HitItHard is offline
    Originally Posted by Fishman35
    I set up my Ultimate Smith II this weekend and I could not be happier. I get a full pump, just like I never left the gym. My roommate is real happy because he has had 5 back surgeries and likes the safety of the smith. I did some free benching using the gun racks on the front. (You don't have to use the smith if you don't want to). I got 540 lbs of used dumbells and there is a perfect amount of room inside the cage to do flys, presses, one arm rows, etc with the bells.

    You know, after reading some of the negative post about this machine, I have to say that it is human nature to feel what you use, or made an investment in, is the only thing that works. Not everyone on this board wants to do this for a living. Some of us just want to get fit and have some good gains. I am a rock musician and the last thing I want to do is look like Kane Roberts with my guitar on.

    Each to his own. I have found what I was looking for. Maybe someday, if I decide to become a platehead and compete, then I will buy the $3,000.00 unit. Until then, this will do the job just fine. Thanks for the post for people who actually own one of these. That is what I asked for.
    this comment shows your naivity, just because someone uses free weights does not mean they are a meathead, its called getting the most efficient workout possible. its so stupid when someone says "i dont want to be too big, so i wont lift weights" or "But im not that serious about it, so why would i bother with dumbells?" and then the "Im fine with my bowflex, i dont want to look like ronnie coleman" or other bs like that.
    and i still think smith machines suck.
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts