Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    cathryn will become famous soon enough. (+50) cathryn will become famous soon enough. (+50) cathryn will become famous soon enough. (+50) cathryn will become famous soon enough. (+50) cathryn will become famous soon enough. (+50) cathryn will become famous soon enough. (+50) cathryn will become famous soon enough. (+50) cathryn will become famous soon enough. (+50) cathryn will become famous soon enough. (+50) cathryn will become famous soon enough. (+50) cathryn will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cathryn's Confessions of a Recovering Obsessive Exerciser

Hi everyone! I wasn't sure if this was the most appropriate type of journal to put up here, but I've been lurking for a while and it seems like there are all types of posts being made.

About Me - Female, 31yo, no kids, recently returned to college full-time. I've been working out for years and lifting for the past 6, much due to eating disorders and huge amounts of weight gain/loss. I've recently tried to approach my body from a healthier perspective and weightlifting has been key to doing this. For the first time I feel like I'm working with my body instead of against it and have gained self-confidence both mentally and physically. My problem now is that I still have an obsessive 'quantity > quality' mindset. I love to work out, but I also do it too much for fear of going back to being obese. My goal is to try to moderate my workouts to a reasonable, effective, and healthy routine.

Health - 5'4" and 95lbs. Having a hard time with gaining, but realize that it is necessary despite the mental battle. I'm on a mix of antidepressants to control the eating disorder/depression, and one of them caused me to drop 10lbs in two months even though I 'caught' my problem before I was badly underweight. My bodyfat was just measured at 6.6% by the coach at school, but I don't think it's that low. Anyways, it's not comfortable or healthy. My muscles aren't that big - just defined, with lots of icky veins on top. I want to put a nice layer of insulation on top of larger, stronger muscles - an athletic, healthy, solid body. I'm more interested in how I feel than how I look!

Exercise - I need to do something physical often, or I get anxious and stressed! I have an Elliptical, some light free weights, and a Bowflex at home (hey, it was free). I have access to gym weight machines/free weights 2x a week. Most of my classes right now are web classes, so I've had time to work out a crazy amount - but that is going to change soon. Evenings, I do some calisthetic, light-weight/high-rep type stuff which is more invigorating than strenuous - 4 types of crunches, lunges, squats, etc. Mornings, I do 45mins of interval training on the Elliptical, followed by lifting. I alternate days between upper and lower body, and try to hit each muscle group with 4sets x 10reps, hitting failure on the 10th.

A - Assisted Pullups, Triceps Press-Down, Bench Press, Row, French Press, Lat Pull, Bicep Curl, Forearm Curl, Shoulder Press
    B - Leg Extension, Hip Extension, Thigh Abductor/Adductor, Calf Raise, Leg Press, Resisted Lower/Upper Ab Crunches, Lower Back Extension

Nutrition - I'm learning a lot about nutrition lately. One of my meds makes vegetables taste delicious, but sugars and refined carbs seem gross, and make me go mentally bonkers. Here's a typical day:

1 (First Thing): 1cu Oatmeal, Banana, 1/2cu Egg Substitite, Berries, Flax Seed
    2 (After Cardio/Lift): Protein Powder, 1cu Kashi Cereal, LF Yogurt, 1/4cu Dried Cranberries
    (Whenever I can between class as 3 meals depending on school):
    3: 1cu LF Cottage Cheese, Apple
    4: Protein Bar (snuck in on a bathroom break from lab class, heh)
    5: Turkey or Tuna Sandwich on Whole Wheat with FF cheese, spinach, mushrooms, sprouts
    6 (Dinner): 3oz lean meat (chicken, turkey, beef), 2cu of various steamed or fresh-frozen veggies, a big spinach and cucumber salad, and a serving of brown rice, sweet potato, or some other complex carb
    7 (Before Bed): FF Yogurt, piece of fruit, 1cu Cheerios

Total: 2268
    Fat: 29g 11%
    Carbs: 318g 46%
    Fiber: 51g 0%
    Protein: 204g 35%

Goals - Class has taught me a lot about technique, and I've made HUGE strides of progress since I started lifting properly! As far as a routine, I'm reading and considering visiting with a trainer for a few sessions for help. I think most of my 'free weight' stuff is pretty much useless aside from the abs, and those could be replaced by more resistance, less reps. The rest of it is just keeping my muscles from repair time. I would like to do cardio every morning as I can't wake up without it, but tone down the intensity a few times a week. I'm also looking for a lifting routine that splits up the body into 3 parts, so that I can some lifting every day but still get rest time. So I've got some homework to do there! I want to get some used free weights in addition to the Bowflex, but will have access to a stocked gym in the spring if I don't find a good garage sale. As far as nutrition, I know I need to up 'good' fats and calories, although reducing cardio might negate that. I think I get too much protein and have some of the symptoms of that problem. Amazingly I've already upped from 1500 to 2300 calories a day and haven't gained a damn pound, in fact I lose at 2000! I think I should plan on slowly reducing cardio intensity and upping calories together.

Jeez - if anyone read even 1/4 of that, thanks. Excuse my rambling! I just want to hold myself a more accountable to health instead of obsession, and maybe hear from other people who have had success in this type of mental and physical change! Thank you

twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hi! for nutrition, you need much more fat!!!

As for your exercise, I am a recovering overexerciser as well. You should not be doing 45 min. of elliptical every day. You need to gain and 3 times a week of LIGHT cardio for 20 min is all that you really need. You should focus more on lifting weights...maybe a full body workout 3 times a week?

h@rdc0re will become famous soon enough. (+50) h@rdc0re will become famous soon enough. (+50) h@rdc0re will become famous soon enough. (+50) h@rdc0re will become famous soon enough. (+50) h@rdc0re will become famous soon enough. (+50) h@rdc0re will become famous soon enough. (+50) h@rdc0re will become famous soon enough. (+50) h@rdc0re will become famous soon enough. (+50) h@rdc0re will become famous soon enough. (+50) h@rdc0re will become famous soon enough. (+50) h@rdc0re will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I can so relate to you because I am currently recovering from the same thing. I was so obsessed with cardio it wasnt even funny and I never put much thought into weights. Seeing how I got down to 92 lbs at 5"6 with very low body fat(never had it checked but it was low enough to lose my period for 8 months) So I can relate to you and help you out, maybe.

Twinnett is very right. I am currently trying to cut back on my cardio too which is very hard cause im such an active person but 20 min, of light cardio 3x a week is a great way to put on some lean muscle. Always remember, losing fat is only losing fat. Weights is what gives you shape and definition and to me, that is what its really all about. Noone wants to look at a skinny chick with no shape. I see skinny girls everywhere(including in the mirror) and I look skinny fat. When a woman walks into my gym with strong legs, definition and lean body ... PEOPLE STARE !! Seriously, your taking the right path.

If you find it hard to gain much weight, EAT BIG! And dont be afraid to. Just make sure they are good choices. Its about WHAT you eat that counts. Eat for health. Eating for pleasure is okay on occasion but you learn to love the healthy foods(you really do)

If it takes 2,500 calories for you to put on muscle then so be it. It sounds like you have a super fast metabolism like me so eat up

Im sure Twinnett will have much better advice for you because she is still helping me and she really knows what she is talking about. She went through it as well and as you can see from her photos she is really doing well!

Good Luck and keep me posted!!

cathryn will become famous soon enough. (+50) cathryn will become famous soon enough. (+50) cathryn will become famous soon enough. (+50) cathryn will become famous soon enough. (+50) cathryn will become famous soon enough. (+50) cathryn will become famous soon enough. (+50) cathryn will become famous soon enough. (+50) cathryn will become famous soon enough. (+50) cathryn will become famous soon enough. (+50) cathryn will become famous soon enough. (+50) cathryn will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thanks!

Thanks both of you! It's scary to change routines and every reassurance that it is 'ok' helps. I definitely need more good fats, and plan to pick up some nuts, avocado, maybe try and fit more flax seed in somewhere as well. As far as getting down more calories, it IS tough, but I've (mostly!) accepted that no matter what other people eat, this is what I need and I shouldn't feel guilty about it. More food = more fuel to lift with = more big happy grins on my face all day after I progress on an exercise! Adding another pull-up to my set is more satisfying than fitting into whatever silly size.

As for spreading the lifting out rather than doing half my body one day, the other half the next, I found a few links that looked doable (and were non-technical enough for me to follow, hehe). I have to adapt some for the equipment I have, but I have a general idea of equilivants from my class. So a full body workout a few times a week is more effective than lifting 6 days a week, doing 1/3 of the body 2x a week each? I've read a lot of different things about that and have a bunch of ideas bookmarked, but that would help me decide which to try out. Thanks!

She-Hulk in the making IronMaiden1522's Avatar
    IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hey Cathryn!!

So what are you back in school for? I just returned myself and it was a hard adjustment at first.

I would definately recomend doing full body WO's. They are superiour for hypertrophy and they utilize your body the way it is supposed to work. not in just seperate parts. An upper and lower split focusing on push/pull is also good.

Did better with getting more food in today - mental warfare but who said getting where I want was going to be easy, right?
    Total: 2371
    Fat: 33g 12%
    Carbs: 335 47%
    Fiber: 50 0%
    Protein: 200 33%

I slowed down the interval cardio today and found that I had a lot more energy to kick my own ass lifting afterwards. (Literally, the ass. Going to sleep on my tummy tonight!) The weight is pretty meaningless to share since I use the Bowflex thingy for most of it, but 4x10 on most of the lower body exercises with a step up in weight on both crunches and leg extensions - rwar. The leg extensions are one where adding makes me want to dance around the room afterwards...if I hadn't just done leg extensions, that is. Heh.

I thought I'd gained a bit of weight, but no such luck. Apparently it was just a water-weight tease again. I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible at all! I do have a lot more mental/physical energy since upping the calories, so that's a major gain in its own way as well. Cottage cheese before bed makes a huge difference the next morning, too.

Did a little more reading tonight and I think I am just stuck on doing some type of split workout to mix it up a little. I've done the full-body thing before and prefer the split. The push-pull sounds like a good way to go then. Given what equipment I have for the time being, it sounds like I need to do something like this, perhaps doing 1 day Pull / 1 day Push / 1 day Off?

Pull (legs, back, biceps, & calves)
    1. Leg Press
    2. Pull ups (or Lat pull downs)
    3. Hip/Leg Extensions
    4. Bicep Curls
    5. Calf raises
    6. Leg Extensions
    7. Lower Back Extensions
    8. Forearm Curls

Push (chest, shoulders, triceps)
    1. Bench press
    2. Rows
    3. Narrow Grip Bench Press
    4. Triceps Press
    5. Resisted Crunches
    6. Shoulder Press
    7. French Press

Jenny - I'm a Biology Major, about to transfer from 2yr school to a 4yr school. It is a hard transition, and the transfer feels like I'm going to go through the whole change again! Exciting though...finally learning about what I have always wanted to do is great.

h@rdc0re will become famous soon enough. (+50) h@rdc0re will become famous soon enough. (+50) h@rdc0re will become famous soon enough. (+50) h@rdc0re will become famous soon enough. (+50) h@rdc0re will become famous soon enough. (+50) h@rdc0re will become famous soon enough. (+50) h@rdc0re will become famous soon enough. (+50) h@rdc0re will become famous soon enough. (+50) h@rdc0re will become famous soon enough. (+50) h@rdc0re will become famous soon enough. (+50) h@rdc0re will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    WOW, your diet is looking much better and your eating more food which is definitley good to see You might want to get some more fats in there. Dont be afraid of the healthy fats, they are good for you Everything else looks good to me! Keep up the g00d work!

Got to use the gym at school today and worked out my lower/middle body...squats, calf raises, leg press, leg extensions, leg curls, lower back extensions, and resisted crunches. Whew! It's been a little while since I did lower body at the gym, and I made some progress at home since. Went up 10lbs on squats, going up on calf raises very quickly since I am regaining the muscle I lost while I was losing weight again - yay! Up on the lower back as well, very proud of this since it's my weakest spot and the more strength it gains, the less trouble it gives me!

Total: 2401
    Fat: 34 12%
    Carbs: 331 45%
    Fiber: 55 0%
    Protein: 210 34%

Doing better with the food, shooting for 2400 a day although adding food has just seemed to make me hungier. I guess this is the part of adding calories where your body raises its metabolism in response to more fuel? My stomach is growling 2 hours after a huge tuna sandwich! This always happens when I add more. I think it will even out.

As far as toning down the exercises, I would usually have run a couple miles to warm-up before lifting at school...took a 5mph jog instead, and indeed I did have more energy to lift with. It's proving very hard to cut down, but I'm trying.

I know squats with a bar are a bad idea to do by yourself (without the rack for safety) but I'm guessing they'd be safe enough with dumbells, right? I get so much more out of them than many other exercises, I want to be able to do them more often.

Hardcore - thanks! I added some peanut butter today to try and get some good fats, till I do the shopping and find something better

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Welcome to the board and congrats on your achievements to date!

You shouldn't be doing any high intensity or long duration cardio before lifting weights. There are several reasons for this. Firstly, you are significantly decreasing your body's ability to gain muscle as you are depleting your glycogen stores pre-lifting. Secondly, your strength and concentration in your lifting will be impacted as the muscles will already be fatigued.

I used to be obsessed with the idea of doing cardio pre weight training.... now, I walk to the gym (coz thats how I get there!) and that's it - straight into the warm up sets

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Lou! I'm trying very hard to kick the obsession myself, it is a tough one to break, huh? Got to put the progress I want ahead of my worries Thank you for reminding me, seeing all of you who maintain healthy, strong bodies this way gives me a lot of courage to overcome the whole 'fear of fat' thing with doing less cardio.

imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Remember, its quality not quantity that counts

My journal here is over 3 years old and when it started, I was just as bad! I remember on Mondays, I used to lift weights for an hour, do an hr Body Attack class (very high intensity cardio), do moderate cardio for half an hour, and then an hr Pilates class! eeek

IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by imperfectly_lou
    Remember, its quality not quantity that counts

My journal here is over 3 years old and when it started, I was just as bad! I remember on Mondays, I used to lift weights for an hour, do an hr Body Attack class (very high intensity cardio), do moderate cardio for half an hour, and then an hr Pilates class! eeek

Wow that is insane!!! Thank god you cured that!!

-------------------------------------------------

Bump Lou, but it sounds like you already know that.

I am a little confused about your setup. If you want to do one day push and one day pull you have both things on both days. like for pull day you have leg press but that is a push. What you could do is one upper push day, then one lower push day, then one upper pull and a lower pull. So then you would be hitting the weights 4 times a week.

So how long were you out of school? Or were you? What do you want to do when you are done your degree? Biology is cool, but I just get overwhelmed by it all!!! I cant wait until next semester when we get to disect things though

emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Welcome.

there are many here in the same boat. You've gotten great advice so far. I totally agree that
    1) you need to cut down the cardio and especially NOT do it before lifting. You can warm up by doing a few sets at a light weight.
    2) you need to increase your fats considerably.

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Morning! You should shoot for about 25% healthy fats in your diet. At the very least go for 20%.

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I did lighter cardio before lifting today and could feel the difference. I had a lot more endurance, especially on the things that are normally hard. Worked on the upper body and abs - Lat Pull, Seated Rows, Shoulder Press, Chest Press, Bicep/Tricep/Forearms. Added one more to the set for real pull-ups...it sounds like a minor victory but I have to fight for each of those, so I was happy.

Total: 2378
    Fat: 37 14%
    Carbs: 332 46%
    Protein: 199 33%

I've actually lost a little since increasing calories. I need to stop losing weight even slowly, so hopefully 2400, lowered cardio burn and more fats will help. 20% fats is a logistic challenge to get to for some reason. I am trying to replace some lowfat carbs with almonds or peanut butter to get it up there.

Jenny - if you're confused, I'm 10x more confused myself! I've been reading a lot, but there's conflicting information and then of course I'm trying to adapt it to what I have at home...so I'm lost! Any advice in sorting it out is most welcome I substituted leg press for squats since I don't have the setup for those, but duh...of course that would be a press. Thank you.

Lou - how did you manage to break the habit? Slowly or cold-turkey down to moderate intensity, 3x a week? I'm having a tough time with that one!

I was out of school and in the corporate jungle for 7 years. I worked in the IT industry and it was good money, but it ate my soul. I can't wait to work in a lab doing something hands-on, scientific, and interesting! I would like to work in a research lab as a tech. I'm going to go for the B.S. and see if I'm up for more school before I decide too much else there!

twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I had to start gradually cutting down on the time and cutting out days...it's hard!!!! But I tried to find other things to do...walks outside instead of "official" cardio, stretching, hobbies, etc.

Lou is right...fats are WAY too low!!!! Healthy fats are great for you and very necessary!

Originally Posted by cathryn

Lou - how did you manage to break the habit? Slowly or cold-turkey down to moderate intensity, 3x a week? I'm having a tough time with that one!

I was out of school and in the corporate jungle for 7 years. I worked in the IT industry and it was good money, but it ate my soul. I can't wait to work in a lab doing something hands-on, scientific, and interesting! I would like to work in a research lab as a tech. I'm going to go for the B.S. and see if I'm up for more school before I decide too much else there!
    For me, it was a very gradual process, but at the same time, I got more and more frustrated by my lack of muscles. Deep down, I knew that the reason I lacked the muscle I craved was due to too much cardio. So if I had my time again, particularly being as underweight as you are now, I would have done it in a lot quicker fashion. I found that once I switched to full body workouts late last year, by the time I had finished lifting for 60-70mins I was EXHAUSTED and couldn't have done any cardio even if I wanted to. These days, the cardio I do is very very intense but I don't do a huge amount of it.

emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I work in a lab. What do you want to do.

Bump to Lou's advice. Just take it back slowly. I know there seems to be a lot of conflicting stuff out there, but in reality it is very simple.

To gain: eat above maintenance
    To gain muscle: 1) lift a heavy weight. 2) put it down. 3) eat. 4) repeat

Anything else is just details.

Great advice as usual For me, working out is a recreational activity, not a full-time job! I've made a ton of progress since I learned better techniques in class, and the exact order of exercises doesn't matter nearly as much as doing it properly. I should focus on improving my diet, not wearing myself out with cardio or lifting, and gaining weight of both fat and the muscle variety. I've managed to add almost 1000 calories a day to my intake and quit many bad disordered habits. I can do this, too. It is a hard to pare down the cardio, so rather than going for an extra workout when I'm cold/stressed/tired, I'm trying to play with the cats or just do 5 minutes of stretching. I don't feel as guilty about resting since I learned that it's good for me!

Calories/macros pretty much the same as yesterday...since we had leftovers Lazy me! I will try and have some more almonds before bed. I am no fan of nuts, but they aren't as bad as I thought!

Worked on legs this morning...they're the most frustrating to do at home. Kitties didn't let us sleep much last night, so it wasn't a good day for progress. Leg Extension, Leg Curl, Thigh Abductor/Adductor, Calf Raise, Leg Press, Resisted Lower/Upper Ab Crunches, Lower Back Extension. The Abductor/Adductor exercises seem just about useless aside from torturing the knee. I would think those muscles got plenty of work assisting in other exercises, but I'm not sure.

Emunah - cytotechnology. I'm too broke/old to think about going to med school, but I'd love to work alongside a pathologist as an assistant.

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Just thought I would pop in and say a quick "Hello and Welcome"!!

Congratulations on all your positive changes so far!! It is hard to make the mental shift - but just keep working on it! You'll get there!

Thanks Emma-Leigh...the encouragement is much appreciated.

I feel absolutely stuffed tonight, and have some more to go before bed...ack. Of course, I'm sure my stomach will be growling in an hour. I am eating more fats, but somehow they don't seem to total up right. Sometimes fitday seems really flaky, although it would take a big increase to bump up a % when I'm eating such a huge number of calories.

Total: 2435
    Fat: 37 13%
    Carbs: 354 49%
    Protein: 192 31%

Worked on arms/shoulders/chest today but was pretty much exhausted after pull-ups, so it didn't go too well. I make the most overall progress at the beginning of the week and tire out towards the weekend, as I'd imagine most people do. I did manage to cut 15mins of nonsense out of my total workout time - silly light weight stuff that I've read is pretty much useless. I feel silly posting about doing less rather than more, so I'll shush up and share a picture of the boys who work out with me:

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/1...outboysnm5.jpg

Holy crap that picture made me laugh!!! Awww they are soo cute and HUGE!! I hope my little kitty gets that big! I love big cats.

But yes missy you do need to get those fats up there!! God I have more problem keeping my fats down!! I like fats

It is a very confusing world out there trying to pick a good program. If you are having trouble I recomend Emma. She is great and will tailor a program to your needs. I am lazy with figuring out programs and am always feel more motivated when someone else makes it up for me. Weird I know. but just a suggestion. Otherwise this site has some really good programs. http://www.t-nation.com/ you have to read through it though. But as you are just getting into it you dont really need a fancy schmancy program. Just make compound lifts the main part of your progam and lift heavy. I imagine with you eating enough and cutting down the cardio you will see results

Oh and you basically did the same thing as me!! i was in the working world for 4 years. couldnt imagine 30 more of my job, so i quit and here i am back in school!! Its great to know that other people do that and not just me. Sometimes i feel alone in that sense. and old in class

Hey hun your diet is looking much better and much more solid The girls are right, you can add more fats in Im slowly adding more fats into my diet. At least aim for 45 g fat. Good Luck hun

JennyG - Oh yeah...they're not fat, they're bulking and fluffy! The big white one jumps all over me while I'm on the weight machine. He is really good because I give myself a good rest between sets while I scratch his ears.

I'm always open to ideas on sneaking in more fats. I'm on some medication that makes fats, sugars, and carbs react badly in me - the best tasting/digesting things are vegetables, lean meat, and cottage cheese. Ironic, huh? It would be great if I wanted to lose weight! As for the program, I'm not going to get too worried about it until I get other things sorted out. I know I need to gain a few pounds before my bodyfat will let me progress on any routine, so I'll just keep it in mind but not get too obsessed over details.

We're not old. We're experienced! I am with a lot of older people right now since I'm at a 2yr. It is definitely nice to know you aren't alone there, huh?

Hardcore - it's tough, huh? I know we're both trying real hard

hehe yep but to be honest with you, my therapist has helped me, my family has helped me, my friends has helped me, detox has helped me, BUT this board has really helped me and the support here is 100% real and it really makes me feel good coming here everyday and these girls really know what they are talking about, just to name a few, fish, twinnett, imperfectly_lou, jaim, daydreamer, terracotta, and a few others. And the guys .... they know their stuff too but i forget their usernames ... but everyone here is very supportive and they will help u with anything youd like to know

flex Magazine June 2008 spirit3530's Avatar
    spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    hmm.. I thought jump in here and say. Increase the fats. For a 2500 cal try a macro similar to this 25p40c 35f

If you are 95lbs this will work for you.

156p
    250C
    97F

Add olive oil to rice and veggies. almonds and peanut butter added to toast. avocados are also good as well. You can buy fish oil and flax seed oil. These few things will get your fats up. You need fats at each meal. Remember my post in Ashleys journal. The 4 steps. It works for you too.

Start adding your meals and ALL activity in your journal its easier to support you that way. If you are not gaining a 1lb to 2lbs a week increase the carbs and fats. You don't need anymore protein in your diet. Actually I think you are taking in MORE than enough. If you need us to post a sample diet just ask.
    Last edited by spirit3530; 11-19-2006 at 03:27 AM.
    Cha Cha Cha

Originally Posted by spirit3530
    hmm.. I thought jump in here and say. Increase the fats. For a 2500 cal try a macro similar to this 30p40c 30f

187p
    250C
    83F

Add olive oil to rice and veggies. almonds and peanut butter added to toast. avocados are also good as well. You can buy fish oil and flax seed oil. These few things will get your fats up. You need fats at each meal. Remember my post in Ashleys journal. The 4 steps. It works for you too.

Start adding your meals and ALL activity in your journal its easier to support you that way.
    Bump to this...fats are wonderful! If you look in my journal, you'll notice how many more fats I'm eating, and it's helped me a lot! Like Spirit said, olive oil, nuts, whole eggs, lean beef, avocado, fish oils, flax seed, all good sources of fat...you should have some at every meal.

spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Obviously as you activity level goes down you may start to gain 2-4 lbs per week on 2500 when that happens then we would have to scale everything back down to normal sensible bulking calorie level 1800-2000 to slow it back down to 1 to 2 lbs per week.
    Cha Cha Cha

Originally Posted by twinnett
    Bump to this...fats are wonderful! If you look in my journal, you'll notice how many more fats I'm eating, and it's helped me a lot! Like Spirit said, olive oil, nuts, whole eggs, lean beef, avocado, fish oils, flax seed, all good sources of fat...you should have some at every meal.
    I coming to a Journal near you
    Cha Cha Cha

We were running all over town today, and I'll be the first to admit, my eating kinda sucked.
    Total: 2330
    Fat: 33 13%
    Carbs: 327 46%
    Protein: 200 34%

45mins of much less intense cardio (this is going to be hard as hell to change, I panic at the calorie counter) and only 30mins of lighter weighted crunches/push-ups/etc. in the afternoon. Weight machine - Leg Extension, Leg Curl, Thigh Abductor/Adductor, Calf Raise, Leg Press, Resisted Lower/Upper Ab Crunches, Lower Back Extension. 4x8-9 on all. Actually feeling less energetic on more food and less exercise! Probably just takes time to adjust.

Thanks for all the replies! I wish I had helpful advice to offer you all in return.

Spirit/Twinnett - 30%fat, 40%carb, 30%protein...yowza! Sounds like I should trade some protein for fats. I could grab some trail mix or peanut butter on ww/crackers instead of a protein bar, and drop some dairy calories (cry) for olive-oil based dressing. That would at least get me up to 20%fat, 45%carb, 35%protein and spreads it out through meals. It's a start at least! I played with fitday a bit and had a hard time getting the fat above that for 2400-2500 calories a day, but I'll figure something out. 1-2lbs gain a week sounds manageable although I've yet to actually gain a darn pound :P It would take 5-10weeks to gain 10lbs, which should be enough time to adjust to it.

Hardcore: I agree, there's a better focus on practical action here than in most communities tailored for 'recovery'. It's good to see people living healthy and strong. I never did well with therapy, just the meds :P