iroczinoz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iroczinoz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iroczinoz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iroczinoz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iroczinoz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iroczinoz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iroczinoz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iroczinoz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iroczinoz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iroczinoz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iroczinoz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Lee Haneys Recommended workout split

Has anyone had any experiences with trying the workout split that Lee Haney Recommends?

I have been trying it out for the last month, and am not showing as much strength gains as opposed to what I was doing before.

Before I used to train a bodypart 1x a week. MOnday to Friday with weekends off.

I thought I would try Lee's workout split for a while and see how it goes. I guess 1 month is not long enough so I will stick with it for another 2 and then see.

A link to haneys site with the split that I am using now. The only thing is that I throw in 1 to 2 more exercises with 3 sets for each to each bodypart.

http://www.leehaney.com/docs/Mass%20...%20Program.pdf

Upgraded to kettle bells Lights Out's Avatar
    Lights Out has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lights Out has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lights Out has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    [Gawd, 'cause you mentioned strength gains I can hear the Rippetoe peeps stampeding to the post...]

I don't know how advanced you are, and you're probably more experienced than me, but I want to emphasize two things just in case they might help.

First, training like the pros is probably not a good idea unless you're very advanced, and even then, you should adapt the workout to suit your needs. You seem to be doing this a bit by changing things up. The pros' recovery time is incredibly faster than yours will be (due to various substances, extremely judiciously monitored diet and rest, and just plain expertise in training responsibly and listening to their bodies), so the split might work for you (e.g. maybe you're in your early 20s and able to handle it), or maybe it won't (you could overtrain). If you feel that you're overtraining, it's really important to rest.

Second, you seem to want to gain strength, for which you should be training in a lower rep range. The average range in this particular program would be most suitable for gaining mass (it is Haney's "mass builder program"!). You should train in the 4-7 rep range for strength (some people say 1-6).

Let us know what happens!
    6'
    Jan. 2006: 216lbs., flabby.
    Jan. 2007: 186lbs.
    Feb. 2007: 195lbs (bulking)
    Immediate goal: clean bulk back up to 200 or so (hopefully!)

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    IMO, if you are natural you should throw another off day in there......that '3on, 1off' routine was very popular with pros in the late 80s

for a natty guy id recommend maybe "2on, 1off, 1on, 1off" repeat
    "Humility comes before honor"

iroczinoz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iroczinoz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iroczinoz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iroczinoz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iroczinoz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iroczinoz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iroczinoz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iroczinoz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iroczinoz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iroczinoz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iroczinoz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I hear you guys. I just heard about his website on the fitshow about a couple months back. Anyway I checked it out and I think Lee devised this workout plan for the general public who want to pack on the size. I am not sure if this workout program he has on his site is made for pro's, I doubt it.

I just wanted to try out something different, so far I am not overally impressed with the gains.

I might go back to my normal ways after a couple months with each body part once a week with weekend off. It just got me feeling maybe that I need to hit each bodypart 2x a week to get better results..

Lee recommends a fast paced workout with rests between 30-45 seconds between sets. I don't know been doing this for the last month and the rest period is just too short I feel. I don't know but as soon as I finish say squats with 300lbs for 8. I don't really feel like getting under the bar in 40 seconds.

My old routine I took longer rest periods and only trained 1x a week each bodypart.

Take into account I am an ecto.

Mon-Cest
    Tues-Arms
    Wed-Legs
    Thursday-Shoulders
    Friday-Back

With abs thrown in.

I have the tendancy to throw in a lower rep workout for that bodypart each week, with lower reps and heavier weight. So 1x it is higher reps with lighter then the next time heavier lower reps.

I am not sure if Lee designed that workout plan with the intention of people using it would be on the gear.
    Last edited by iroczinoz; 11-10-2006 at 05:40 PM.

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    well, like I said bro....that was a standard pro routine in the 80s

in the 70s it was more like each bp 3x per week

in the 80s the "3 on 1 off" was really popular

a natural guy aint gonna survive for long on a pro routine IMO...unless he keeps the daily volume sort of on the low side and probably just avoids failure altogether

Haney is just writing the routine from his experience....he was juiced up and had great genetics....so to him that is a "basic" routine

I have the July '85 M&F sitting here...it has Haneys chest routine and routines he suggested for beginners and intermediates

he said he preferred lower reps (4-6)

he listed 2 of his routines

offseason
    Bench press (after a warm up) 4-5 sets x 5-6 reps
    Barbell incline 4 x 5-6
    flat flyes 3x 6-8

preseason
    Bench 5 x 8
    incline 4 x 8
    flat flyes 4 x 10
    cable crossovers 2-3 x 10

beginner routine
    bench 3 x 6-8
    incline 3 x 6-8

intermediate
    bench 4-5 x 6
    barbell incline 3 x 6
    flat flyes 3 x 6

other things from that article:
    Haney liked to pyramid the weights

He liked forced reps on at least one set of each move

Once every 2-3 weeks, in the offseason only, he worked up to a heavy single or double on the bench

sometimes he liked to substitute pec deck for flat flyes and felt it was easier to do forced reps on pec deck

he said cables are a waste of time for intermediates and below

on incline bench he brought the barbell down pretty high on the chest, almost right at the bottom of the neck

he says he sometimes used dbells or smith machine for inclines but didnt feel he got as much out of them as with the barbell

in the pics he used suicide grip on presses

he sometimes did incline flyes but mainly just before a show and he wouldnt really recommend them unless one is prepping for a show

he said dips are a great exercise but he didnt feel he needed them very often since he had good lower chest mass

he said he experimented with supersets but they didnt work too well for him, so he usually did straight sets with 60-90 second rest between sets

I also have his old training video but I havent watched it in a while......his form was really pretty excellent compared to a lot of pros...you can tell he was from an athletic background

---

in the same issue there are training articles about Barry Demay and Bertil Fox.....Fox trained twice daily using very high volume and would just sort of go by feel as far as how many days in a row he trained

for beginner/intermediates Bertil recommended 4 days per week as follows:
    Mon-Thu
    abs
    chest
    back
    delts
    calves

Tu-Fri
    abs
    legs
    arms
    calves

2 exercises each for legs, chest, back, delts..around 7-9 sets for each of those bodyparts, sticking to the 5-8 rep range and sometimes using forced reps

---------

Barry Demay trained on the "standard" 80's pro routine, lol...3 on, 1 off

he did:
    day 1-chest, back
    day 2-legs,abs
    day 3-delts, arms

the leg routine given was:
    squats 3-4 x 15-20
    leg press 3-4 x 10-15 ( the remaining moves use the same set/reps)
    hack squats
    leg ext
    lying leg curl
    standing leg curl

but he says that for years all he did was heavy sets of 5 on squats, sometimes up to 10 sets...then leg extensions and leg curls.....he recommends those 3 exercises for beginner/intermediates
    Last edited by John Prophet; 11-10-2006 at 07:21 PM.

Lights Out has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lights Out has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lights Out has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by John Prophet
    I have the July '85 M&F sitting here...it has Haneys chest routine and routines he suggested for beginners and intermediates

offseason
    Barbell incline 4 x 5-6
    flat flyes 3x 6-8

preseason
    Bench 5 x 8
    incline 4 x 8
    flat flyes 4 x 10

beginner routine
    bench 3 x 6-8
    incline 3 x 6-8

intermediate
    bench 4-5 x 6
    barbell incline 3 x 6
    flat flyes 3 x 6

Once every 2-3 weeks, in the offseason only, he worked up to a heavy single or double on the bench

sometimes he liked to substitute pec deck for flat flyes and felt it was easier to do forced reps on pec deck

on incline bench he brought the barbell down pretty high on the chest, almost right at the bottom of the neck

he says he sometimes used dbells or smith machine for inclines but didnt feel he got as much out of them as with the barbell

he sometimes did incline flyes but mainly just before a show and he wouldnt really recommend them unless one is prepping for a show

he said dips are a great exercise but he didnt feel he needed them very often since he had good lower chest mass

he said he experimented with supersets but they didnt work too well for him, so he usually did straight sets with 60-90 second rest between sets

I also have his old training video but I havent watched it in a while......his form was really pretty excellent compared to a lot of pros...you can tell he was from an athletic background

---

in the same issue there are training articles about Barry Demay and Bertil Fox.....Fox trained twice daily using very high volume and would just sort of go by feel as far as how many days in a row he trained

Mon-Thu
    abs
    chest
    back
    delts
    calves

Tu-Fri
    abs
    legs
    arms
    calves

2 exercises each for legs, chest, back, delts..around 7-9 sets for each of those bodyparts, sticking to the 5-8 rep range and sometimes using forced reps

---------

he did:
    day 1-chest, back
    day 2-legs,abs
    day 3-delts, arms

squats 3-4 x 15-20
    hack squats
    leg ext
    lying leg curl
    standing leg curl

but he says that for years all he did was heavy sets of 5 on squats, sometimes up to 10 sets...then leg extensions and leg curls.....he recommends those 3 exercises for beginner/intermediates
    !!!
    6'

Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anabolism1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    3 on 1 off was popular back in the day, but no one got really big doing it. I think it's one of the worst ways to train. Not enough time for recovery.

wanabeebig will become famous soon enough. (+50) wanabeebig will become famous soon enough. (+50) wanabeebig will become famous soon enough. (+50) wanabeebig will become famous soon enough. (+50) wanabeebig will become famous soon enough. (+50) wanabeebig will become famous soon enough. (+50) wanabeebig will become famous soon enough. (+50) wanabeebig will become famous soon enough. (+50) wanabeebig will become famous soon enough. (+50) wanabeebig will become famous soon enough. (+50) wanabeebig will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    well, like I said bro....that was a standard pro routine in the 80s

in the 70s it was more like each bp 3x per week

in the 80s the "3 on 1 off" was really popular

a natural guy aint gonna survive for long on a pro routine IMO...unless he keeps the daily volume sort of on the low side and probably just avoids failure altogether

Haney is just writing the routine from his experience....he was juiced up and had great genetics....so to him that is a "basic" routine

I don't understand.

I follow most Pros routine with AWESOME results.

WAY! better then most splits, such as hit each bodypart 1 time a week.

I need atleast to hit them 2 times a week.

And i know for a fact it's not overtraining, as i gained 50 pounds in 1 year, with minimal BF increase.

Quads from 19.5 to 25s.

So you say most cannot survive on them, than why can i get great results from them.?

Ive done the following.

What i'm doing now, 3 on 1 off, lol no joke.

IMO, great routine, will do this routine again. ^

Jay's.

Arnold's - Great , but took up to much time.

Phil Hernon's

Many more.

Sometimes training 2 times a day.

If people crash and burn on these, as most do on Arnold's, as i did it for 5 weeks with good results.

Originally Posted by wanabeebig
    I don't understand.

I follow most Pros routine with AWESOME results.

WAY! better then most splits, such as hit each bodypart 1 time a week.

I need atleast to hit them 2 times a week.

And i know for a fact it's not overtraining, as i gained 50 pounds in 1 year, with minimal BF increase.

Quads from 19.5 to 25s.

So you say most cannot survive on them, than why can i get great results from them.?

Ive done the following.

What i'm doing now, 3 on 1 off, lol no joke.

IMO, great routine, will do this routine again. ^

Jay's.

Arnold's - Great , but took up to much time.

Phil Hernon's

Many more.

Sometimes training 2 times a day.

If people crash and burn on these, as most do on Arnold's, as i did it for 5 weeks with good results.
    Yer 16. Body's different. Most people can't train like this, you're lucky. Gaining that much in a short time is due largely to the state of growth your body's in--you won't stop growing until you're out of your teens!
    6'

smblkolds will become famous soon enough. (+50) smblkolds will become famous soon enough. (+50) smblkolds will become famous soon enough. (+50) smblkolds will become famous soon enough. (+50) smblkolds will become famous soon enough. (+50) smblkolds will become famous soon enough. (+50) smblkolds will become famous soon enough. (+50) smblkolds will become famous soon enough. (+50) smblkolds will become famous soon enough. (+50) smblkolds will become famous soon enough. (+50) smblkolds will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I did that 3 on, 1off routine in the 80's when I was 18-20 years old and gained OK. Now I'm 39 and theres no way I could handle it. Especially after working all day (construction). 1 major bodypart and maybe a smaller one thrown in like biceps, rear delts, etc. is about all I can handle anymore, over 4 days with Wed. and weekends off. I still think if you can handle hitting a bodypart 2X over 8-9 days is best for growth though. I'm talking with no "suplements" here also.

ectomeso1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ectomeso1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ectomeso1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ectomeso1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ectomeso1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ectomeso1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ectomeso1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    goin strictly by the advice of others is never 100 percent accurate .......you should just try and obsorb as much info as you can to develop you OWN training style.......everything works but nothing works forever

USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

offseason
    Barbell incline 4 x 5-6
    flat flyes 3x 6-8

preseason
    Bench 5 x 8
    incline 4 x 8
    flat flyes 4 x 10

beginner routine
    bench 3 x 6-8
    incline 3 x 6-8

intermediate
    bench 4-5 x 6
    barbell incline 3 x 6
    flat flyes 3 x 6

---

Mon-Thu
    abs
    chest
    back
    delts
    calves

Tu-Fri
    abs
    legs
    arms
    calves

---------

he did:
    day 1-chest, back
    day 2-legs,abs
    day 3-delts, arms

squats 3-4 x 15-20
    hack squats
    leg ext
    lying leg curl
    standing leg curl

wow 1985 i was 2 yrs old....good info.

yeah, I used to have tons of the mags but I finally threw em all away, lol

I have a friend who still has tons of that stuff....I sort of have a photographic memory and can recall a lot of the articles and pics etc

wanabeebig will become famous soon enough. (+50) wanabeebig will become famous soon enough. (+50) wanabeebig will become famous soon enough. (+50) wanabeebig will become famous soon enough. (+50) wanabeebig will become famous soon enough. (+50) wanabeebig will become famous soon enough. (+50) wanabeebig will become famous soon enough. (+50) wanabeebig will become famous soon enough. (+50) wanabeebig will become famous soon enough. (+50) wanabeebig will become famous soon enough. (+50) wanabeebig will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Lights Out
    Yer 16. Body's different. Most people can't train like this, you're lucky. Gaining that much in a short time is due largely to the state of growth your body's in--you won't stop growing until you're out of your teens!

Yea i guess.

Currently swtiching to this routine.

Monday: Legs
    Tuesday: Chest & Arms
    Wednesday: Back
    Thursday: Shoulders & Arms
    Friday: Legs
    Saturday: Off
    Sunday: Off

Should be good.

But i might save this for January.

Originally Posted by wanabeebig
    Yea i guess.

Currently swtiching to this routine.

Monday: Legs
    Tuesday: Chest & Arms
    Wednesday: Back
    Thursday: Shoulders & Arms
    Friday: Legs
    Saturday: Off
    Sunday: Off

Should be good.

But i might save this for January.
    id switch the thur and fri days in that routine.....otherwise you are basically hitting arms 3 days in a row

Will do bro, thanks.

soldier3509 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) soldier3509 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) soldier3509 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) soldier3509 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) soldier3509 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) soldier3509 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

I feel your pain!

Originally Posted by smblkolds View Post
    I did that 3 on, 1off routine in the 80's when I was 18-20 years old and gained OK. Now I'm 39 and theres no way I could handle it. Especially after working all day (construction). 1 major bodypart and maybe a smaller one thrown in like biceps, rear delts, etc. is about all I can handle anymore, over 4 days with Wed. and weekends off. I still think if you can handle hitting a bodypart 2X over 8-9 days is best for growth though. I'm talking with no "suplements" here also.
    I am 39 also and when I trained each body part twice a week I was always in pain and really didn't gain as much muscle as I do now with working each body part once a week! And Most Natural pros and Nutrtionists will tell you that muscle is made in the kitchen not the gym! Diet and rest are just as if not more important than how you workout!

adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm 47 and do 2 on, day off, 1 day rest. Works great and no issues.

Day 1 Chest and arms
    Day 2 Legs
    Day 3 back and shoulders