Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    My Business Is Serious InternetsUser's Avatar
    InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

How's soy milk compare to regular milk?

I've been using Silk Enhanced (more vitamins) soy milk for weeks instead of regular milk now. It tastes similar or better to me, and the nutritional value (to skim milk) is also very similar. It takes much longer to expire.

But, as far as the protein is concerned, and for bodybuilding purposes, what are the main differences I should be aware of here?

If this has been posted before, I apologize, just throw me a link.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Someguy150; 11-05-2006 at 11:01 PM.

de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000)
    different types of protein i believe... the protein in milk is some of the best and complete you can find while the protein found in soy pales in comparison.

also if your milk expires, you arent drinking enough.

LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You should be concerend with your healthy...Soy protein isolate which is what is in soy milk has been proven to be VERY unhealthy...there are always huge debates on here over soy, but they forget it is the soy protein isolate a waste product that is do bad not whole soy foods...there is tons of experts nutritionist and natural health doctors that have come out against soy..the studies speak for themselves.

Soy is a scram..cheap waste product filler that has been marketed as a health food..originally only used as filler in dog food and cattle feed and the crappiest processed foods...now they want you to believe it is great for you..what a joke...look at the worste quality processed crap food in the grocery store...most of it contains soy..why? not because it is healthy and they want to make a healthy product, but because it is the cheapest thing they can get, because it is worthless.

Just my opinion, but ive done my research and plenty of it.

disconnect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) disconnect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) disconnect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) disconnect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) disconnect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) disconnect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) disconnect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) disconnect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) disconnect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) disconnect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) disconnect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Doesnt soy milk have the potential to raise estrogen levels??

LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    not really...it mimicks estrogen..has been known to have a serious effect on hormones of small children and unborn children..soy depresses the thyroid, interferres with certin minerals uptake into the body soy protein isolate is extracted from the oil using several toxic chemicals which leave traces in the product..soy has been shown to increase fatigue, bodyfat and depression..high amounts of soy without other proteins can lead to malnutrion. and so on.

garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by LockOut
    not really...it mimicks estrogen..has been known to have a serious effect on hormones of small children and unborn children..soy depresses the thyroid, interferres with certin minerals uptake into the body soy protein isolate is extracted from the oil using several toxic chemicals which leave traces in the product..soy has been shown to increase fatigue, bodyfat and depression..high amounts of soy without other proteins can lead to malnutrion. and so on.
    word
    One problem is....some of our competitors suffer from excessive build quality.

Oddball8945 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oddball8945 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oddball8945 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oddball8945 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oddball8945 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oddball8945 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oddball8945 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oddball8945 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oddball8945 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oddball8945 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oddball8945 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Soy milk taste better then milk, however as far as a bodybuilding standpoint your better off getting protein from a complete source i.e skim milk/milk over soy.

However im not bashing soy theres ton of nutrients in it, if you enjoy the milk then drink it however make sure your getting complete proteins/meat in your diet.
    Deport ALL Illegal Aliens

TriStateTough has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TriStateTough has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TriStateTough has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TriStateTough has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TriStateTough has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TriStateTough has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TriStateTough has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TriStateTough has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TriStateTough has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TriStateTough has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TriStateTough has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Oddball8945
    Soy milk taste better then milk
    Have you ever tried REAL milk before? Search REAL milk in google to find out what I'm talking about!

Oddball8945 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oddball8945 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oddball8945 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oddball8945 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oddball8945 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oddball8945 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oddball8945 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oddball8945 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oddball8945 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oddball8945 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oddball8945 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by TriStateTough
    Have you ever tried REAL milk before? Search REAL milk in google to find out what I'm talking about!
    Ive never tried "true" milk and i don't doubt it taste great, but your not going to find a better vinillia milk then soy , i tried vinillia soy/chocolate and they are way better then the milk version

(i don't even drink milk/soy milk anyway lol)
    Deport ALL Illegal Aliens

You should do a search about soy..there is even a book soy the poision protein...I have read from lot's of Dr's and nutritionist who have come out against soy..it's just unhealthy..soy protein isolate anyway.

TriStateTough has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TriStateTough has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TriStateTough has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TriStateTough has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TriStateTough has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TriStateTough has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TriStateTough has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TriStateTough has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TriStateTough has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TriStateTough has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TriStateTough has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I drank it as an infant formula when I was a baby (wish I hadn't, but oh well). So far no learning disabilities, etc. that are supposed to come with it. What can I do about it though? Nothing, lol.

onemorerobot has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) onemorerobot has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Don't they give cows some kind of growth hormone so that they'll produce more milk? Isn't that...unhealthy for us?

My Business Is Serious InternetsUser's Avatar
    InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You guys talking about the downsides of soy protein act as if it's my only protein source. I'm not a vegetarian.

OK, so the general consensus is that cow's milk is a higher quality protein. That's pretty much what I expected. I'm still not sure if the moderate amounts of protein in milk and the differences between soy and regular are enough to make me go back, though.

de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000)
    lol you guys are acting like soy protein is from the devil. its not going to kill you and if soy protein increases estrogen levels(which im not sure it does anyways) its at a small amount... i guess if you are worried about soy protein you better not eat any plant based products because nearly all of them have soy protein in them...

need i remind you that whey protein which so many people here consume every single day was once considered a useless byproduct?

btw i have talked to nutritionists before and i have heard nothing of these claims about toxins being in soy...

coachfrickle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coachfrickle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Doesn't soy protein have estrogen in small concentration in it?
    Favorite quote:
    "Procrastinate when possible."
    - Me

IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    soy=a big lie=poison
    They couldn't go back to the Greasers
    All they could do was pick up the pieces
    Surely Brenda and Eddie would always find a way to survive

Well I am a Certified Sports Nutritionist and I know about the health risk of Soy...not from any official training , but from many 100's of hours of research on supplements and natural health and cures.

Just like you Dr. doesnt know the truth about things like cholesterol from his training in med school, if he wants the truth he has to find it for himself..

One more time...Whole soy foods are not bad in small amounts...It is SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE that has the toxins and since you consume it in huge amounts is so bad for you..

The average person in Japan consumes about 13 grams of whole soy foods a day mainly in side dishes, you will get 26 grams in one soy protein shake and its soy protein isolate...now in this country we are tricked into consuming tons of soy protein isolate as a cheap filler in lot's of our food...wonder what % soy the hamburgers are at fast food, soy is even in cans of tune, most every processed food, box foods ect. to increase profits by using less food and more worthless filler...

If it were so good for you and healthy it would be valuble and not used as a filler in dog food and every other crap product out there.

Again my opinion, but I have read alot on this subject.

grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000)
    hrrmmmmmm

is soy milk an isolate though??? chinese have been drinking that **** since B.C. yeh its cheap, but uhhh so is rice, wheat... any other mass produced grain type product. that doesnt make it evil.
    @__@

dmoore323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmoore323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmoore323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Soy is bad if your a bodybuilder, it raises your estrogen levels.

That is wrong..no the chinese has not drank soy milk like you have today..It is made with soy protein isolate and i doubt the had the ability in B.C. to separated the protein and the oil from the bean chemically which leaves behined the worthless soy protein isolate.

in china they eat WHOLE SOY FOODS...we are force feed this and we get the soy protein isolate..not whole soy foods...it is in almost everything...look at lables...there are an estimated one hundred million people in china with gouters, a thyroid problem, believed cause by their soy consumption....

i guess it all matters where you get your information from. me, i get my information from a textbook that i bought at my college for a class im taking. i guess other people can get their information from the internet where the BIG_GUNZ666's of the world can post whatever psudeoscience they want.

357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by onemorerobot
    Don't they give cows some kind of growth hormone so that they'll produce more milk? Isn't that...unhealthy for us?
    i remember reading on the subject(as im worried too) and there was a good point, they add hormones to the cows so the hormones added are naturlaly occuring anyways and i believe the amount that would end up in the milk should be about the same. It was convincing, however they did sight a couple times at least one solid time, there was a problem in a high school where some boys did get breasts and they thought it could be traced to the hormones in the milk. Ill have to try to find this sometime

BTW this has nothing to do with soy. I have mixed feelings about soy, it never seemed to hinder my gains, possibly improve them, but i do remember have drastic mood swings, hives, headaches, stress, irritability, around when i was taking alot of it, DOES NOT MEAN IT WAS THE SOY. However i do wonder sometimes if any where related.
    A former shadow of myself

garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by de_barathrum
    i guess it all matters where you get your information from. me, i get my information from a textbook that i bought at my college for a class im taking. i guess other people can get their information from the internet where the BIG_GUNZ666's of the world can post whatever psudeoscience they want.
    I wouldn't count the internet out..........a lot of the info is going to be discounted for sure.......but the truth does come out.......
    Your analogy about an actual school textbook is one source and if I know text books they're generally from another era......regardless it's the internet that is helping people understand what soy is.....good or bad. Some
    people are just better googlers.

If you don't know where soy protein isolate comes from and the health issues, then I would suggest you put down your text book and start googling, and I mean no disrespect.

Originally Posted by garlichead
    I wouldn't count the internet out..........a lot of the info is going to be discounted for sure.......but the truth does come out.......
    Your analogy about an actual school textbook is one source and if I know text books they're generally from another era......regardless it's the internet that is helping people understand what soy is.....good or bad. Some
    people are just better googlers.

If you don't know where soy protein isolate comes from and the health issues, then I would suggest you put down your text book and start googling, and I mean no disrespect.
    college text books come out with new editions about ever 2 years or so... a blessing and a curse i guess...

i just take everything i read on the internet with a rather large grain of salt. i have read so much bs that i thought was very credible. alot of stuff out there is well referenced, well written, and very believeable, but in the end its just a bunch of bs. im just very skeptical whenever i come across something that is very commonly used throughout america(including our childrens lunches at school... ever wonder what mystery meat is? ), touted as having all sorts of negative health effects.

Personal opinions on the internet are the ones to be discounted....I'm talking about the medical studies, journals, papers......Soy is big business, and the demand for soy is one that is hyped and generated by that industry.............there is NO GRASS ROOT DEMAND for this product......an industry that tells us that natural food is killing us by the thousands and as the saviors they want us to consume soy..... asia doesn't even eat the stuff to any extent......the US is the worlds largest producer and consumer.....and lobbied hard. Just take a closer look.
    Last edited by garlichead; 11-06-2006 at 10:24 PM.

gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    if the soy milk is organic and unprocessed could the soy be considered "whole" and therefore not so bad for you?

I just moved into a new place and one of the guys who moved out gave me a fairly new box of organic soy milk that he didn't want to lug around. Since i'm a broke college student, and currently bulking i wouldn't mind the free calories and protein, unless of course it really isn't all that good for me...

Originally Posted by gischer
    if the soy milk is organic and unprocessed could the soy be considered "whole" and therefore not so bad for you?

I just moved into a new place and one of the guys who moved out gave me a fairly new box of organic soy milk that he didn't want to lug around. Since i'm a broke college student, and currently bulking i wouldn't mind the free calories and protein, unless of course it really isn't all that good for me...
    everything is processed. the FDA demands it. if your food wasnt processed you would have rat **** in all of your food.

go ahead and drink it, you wont get gyno.

Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I remembered reading it somewhere that soy milk doesnt have estrogen properties and should be as good as normal milk.. or even better... ONLY for soy milk.. Other soy products.. Im not sure.

I read it in some muscle and fitness magazine.
    not sure tho.
    Hello

I have read numerous books on natural health by leading experts, Doctors and nutritionist sighting study after study...A coolege text book is the worst place to get your nutrition info..they still teach the USDA food pyrimid which we have know for 20 years is crap...they tech what the government dictates they tech...not updated info based on modern science, but what makes the most money for big business.

The Majority of people believe their college text books, USDA, FDA and their Doctor when it comes to nutrition..thats why our health is only getting worse in this country...not better even with all this modern medicine.

Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    BTW, the Silk Organic Soymilk the OP was referring to is Whole Organic Soybeans, not Soy Isolate.