Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thumbs up Exercises for arms

Howdy!
    I was just interested in finding out what kind of exercises anyone thinks really puts some inches on the arms. I've been making decent gains on everything but I'm kinda at a sticking point on the arm girth. My weights have been going up steady, but the tape measure is only showing small gains. Just wondering what are anyones favorite mass building arm exercises. Thanks.
    Keep it real ;)

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Re: Exercises for arms

Originally posted by Brother Phil
    Howdy!
    I was just interested in finding out what kind of exercises anyone thinks really puts some inches on the arms. I've been making decent gains on everything but I'm kinda at a sticking point on the arm girth. My weights have been going up steady, but the tape measure is only showing small gains. Just wondering what are anyones favorite mass building arm exercises. Thanks.
    Close-grip bench press
    Skullcrushers
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Phatman1179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    EDT will really add some sixe to your guns!!

iluvlifting2001 is just really nice. (+1000) iluvlifting2001 is just really nice. (+1000) iluvlifting2001 is just really nice. (+1000) iluvlifting2001 is just really nice. (+1000) iluvlifting2001 is just really nice. (+1000) iluvlifting2001 is just really nice. (+1000) iluvlifting2001 is just really nice. (+1000) iluvlifting2001 is just really nice. (+1000) iluvlifting2001 is just really nice. (+1000) iluvlifting2001 is just really nice. (+1000) iluvlifting2001 is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

Well, since 2/3 of your arm size comes from your triceps then first off I would hit them hard with what Milo suggested (Close grip bench and skull crushers). For the biceps I would say Straight bar / ez curl bar curls hammer curls. I say hammer curls because I believe it works the muscle that runs under the bicep peak and really pushed it out there for me.

Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ever try using the EZ curl bar for close grips ? If it fits onto yer bench that is, it will take the pressure of off yer wrists, the angle for me is a killer..Just an idea that has worked for me in the past Bros..

As far as the workout, close grips, dips, kickbacks for tris..
    Bis, barbell curls and incline dbell work for me..

Gator
    Damn greens are like kryptonite this year !!!!

Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    iluvlifting hit it right on the money as far as biceps go.That muscle is called the brachialis and is often neglected.Hammer curls and reverse curls work wonders.
    My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or ill before this is over...

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Re: Exercises for arms

Originally posted by Brother Phil
    Howdy!
    I was just interested in finding out what kind of exercises anyone thinks really puts some inches on the arms.
    Squats and deadlifts.

No, really. Yeah, isolation work is good, but it was Franco Columbu who said that to gain an inch on your arms, you have to add 10-15 lbs of lean weight to your entire body. My arms started growing only when I really started gaining weight.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks, everyone, for the info. I think part of the problem was my triceps routine, for a while, included too many isolation exercises. The shape of my triceps was improving, but not so much the size. Right now, I'm doing scullcrushers and pressdowns. I might try some close-grip bench, or some dips with the scullcrushers. The last time I did dips, it aggravated a shoulder problem I have, but I've been pretty much pain free for a while, so we'll see. Biceps exercises have been standing curls with an e-z curl bar, and seated dumbell curls. I start with the dumbells parallel to each other and twist them on the way up. Today I added some preacher curls, because years ago they really gave me a peak. I didn't have a preacher curl bench in my home gym, but I have one now in the gym I joined recently. I've been able to gain about 15 pounds in my bulking phase this winter while keeping a 34 in. waist, but my arms only have grown about 3/8th's of an inch. Maybe I'm expecting too much. I just remember when I was bodybuilding MANY years ago and had great arms. I've only been back at it about 10 months now. Again, thanks for the help. Oh, by the way, Phatman, what is EDT?
    Keep it real ;)

Hey Phil

EDT = Escalating Density Training by Charles Staley

Here is the Link that explains the concepts for EDT:
    http://www.t-mag.com/articles/196dens2.html

And here is a EDT woprkout made for Arms:

The EDT Arm Specialization Mesocycle
    One Inch in One Month (Oh, and Yes, It WILL Hurt!)
    http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/208edt.html

Take a look and there are some other threads here that talk about it!!!
    Age doesn't matter, willingness to do the hard work is what matters.

Phatman,
    I looked at the EDT articles with interest, and also checked out a couple threads on the subject. The basic principle behind the system (progressively increasing work performed per workout) makes complete sense and is something I strive for in my workouts. I think regulating the time alloted for each set of exercises is a very good idea, as it's an obvious way to accurately monitor progress. I do have 2 questions:

1. I noticed there are no specific exercises allotted for shoulders. Do you feel they get enough stimulation on chest/back exercises? Personally, I think I would like to work in at least a mid and rear delt exercise.

2. Do you think it's a bad idea to work this as a push/pull routine (chest with tri's, back with bi's)? I've always trained that way because these muscles work together, and I wonder if training the way it's outlined would overtrain the arms, which would defeat my purpose.
    I have recently changed working out each bodypart from twice a week to once a week, and it made a big difference, as I could focus more on each bodypart/workout with more weight and intensity. In fact, my arms have only shown growth since I made this switch.

Again, thanks for the info.
    Keep it real ;)

Hi Phil,

Coach Staley answers questions about EDT on the T-MAG forums. I would stick to the routine as written as I have heard alot of guys there raving about it. I think there is enough shoulder work in the routine to keep them at maint level as you specilize on putting inches on your arms.
    Age doesn't matter, willingness to do the hard work is what matters.

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by Gator
    Ever try using the EZ curl bar for close grips ? If it fits onto yer bench that is, it will take the pressure of off yer wrists, the angle for me is a killer..Just an idea that has worked for me in the past Bros..
    Another thing you can do, if barbell close-grip is giving you wrist pain, is a "close-grip DB bench press". Hammer grip the DBs (handles parallel to each other) and bench 'em. Keep the elbows in tight, close to the torso, just like any close-grip bench.
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam