Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast
    Bigger than Darklight The Real Deal's Avatar
    The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by aqua-beowulf
    Congrats to big Aussie Dom... his bodyspace made the front page!
    haha nice! Its good to see they are hitting the people that deserve it.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by PoW
    Hey Dom, decided I'd drop in because I havn't been here in a while. I had to go back like 18 pages of comments to find a workout, lol . Anyways, thats some serious shoulder pressing power you got there. I can't speak for everyone else, but I know that I am always impressed by a big shoulder press, and you got a big shoulder press
    Thanks PoW. I rate it more highly than bench pressing strength personally so like you I enjoy seeing people overhead press a lot of weight. This week is a deload week for me, I decided to take the week off which is something I haven't done in a while, and that's why there aren't any workouts on the last few pages. Sorry about that

Originally Posted by DeGermaan
    Dominik, you said you watched a lot of powerlifting and strongman vids. So which vids did you use as example for your own deadlift/squat and benchpress form?

I'm very interested in this, especially the first 2, since I want to improve my own form. I really want to strenghen my lower back/core, don't want any lower back injuries. I'm a little skittish about that because both my parents had hernia disks and back problems.
    I haven't really modeled my form on anyone in particular since I'm miles from being at that level. I just enjoy watching those videos because they motivate me.

Form wise, I think Andy Bolton and Mikhail Koklyaev are two guys worth looking at closely. Bolton's form is textbook and he's got the WR, and Koklyaev squats right down like an Oly lifter and starts pulling with his back in a safe position. Both guys prove that you don't need to stiff-leg the heavy weights.

Here's a recent post where I put up a list of form guidelines which might be helpful.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz

Thumbs up Konstantinovs INTERVIEW

Here's a rough translation of an interview I found in Russian with Konstantinovs. There's some great information in it and his training is very specific. (Credit: Jurijs Gucans)
    Background

He was born in 1978 in the small town of Liepaya in Latvia. Parents were normal people with no background in sports.

Started in sports at the age of six with gymnastics, and later spent a few years doing wrestling and judo. By 11 he was already quite strong and could do 42 chin-ups.

At 15 he began lifting weights at the gym, initially doing bodybuilding training, but always lifted with the intention of getting stronger. Was already 6ft tall, 160lbs, and deadlifting 475.

At 17 he started training as a powerlifter, getting most of his training and nutrition information from magazines.

Started competing in 1997 and went on to set over 100 Latvian records. He is the national champion in all 3 power lifts and has the biggest total.

In 2002 as a junior he lifted a total of 2210lbs, a world and European record at the time, and he also set a junior WR with a 860lb (360kg) deadlift.

Later that year he recorded 2295lb total in Helsinki (WPC) setting a world and European record in the bench press with 596lbs.

In 2003 in the world championships (GPC) in Austria he was the overall champion setting two world records in the deadlift: 884 followed by 897lbs.

In 2004 won the GPC "World cup" in Slovakia in the 275 class.

In 2005 he totaled 2317 in the IPF and went on to set a WR deadlifting 906 (411kg, no suit) in the 275 class, beating a record held since 1982 by 1kg.

In 2006 he focused exclusively on the deadlift and at the Latvian nationals (WPC-IPF) pulled 948 @ 275 to break his 2005 WR by 19kg (this time in a Metal DL suit) after tokens in the squat and bench press.

His main goal is to beat Andy Bolton's world record (which at the time of the interview was 971).

Training

He has recently given a lot more attention to rest and recovery which he believes is extremely important at his level so he trains more intuitively. He trains the deadlift 2x every 9-12 days, but it all depends on how he's feeling, so if he's feeling slightly fatigued he prefers to rest another day or two before deadlifting again.

His main assistance exercise is pulling off 3-4" blocks (8-10cm).

The overall volume of his deadlift training is very high, going up to 20 sets.

He splits his deadlift workouts in half with 20-30 minutes rest between them. Rest times on work sets are typically 3-5 minutes.

He trains without straps or a belt.

From a recent training session:

Deadlifts from the floor

260 x 5
    350 x 5
    440 x 3
    530 x 1
    620 x 1
    705 x 1
    795 x 1
    860 x 4

Rest 30 minutes

Pulling off blocks

375 x 5
    485 x 5
    660 x 1
    750 x 5
    815 x 5

Hyperextensions on a 45° bench with 60kg (132lbs) for 2 sets of 20 reps

Reverse hyperextensions with 50-70kg (110-155lbs) for 2 sets of 15-20 reps

Biceps: 2 x 20

Presses: 6 x 15-25

Speed work:

5 x 5 Oly squats with knee wraps

8-10 single speed pulls from the floor with bands that add 130kg of tension to the lockout. He increments his speed work by 5kg (11lbs) each workout. His last speed pull session involved 240kg for 10 singles with 130kg of band tension.

Technique

He explains that while he pulls with a rounded back, it is only his upper back (from the chest up) that is rounded and it stays this way throughout the entire lift. It allows him to lift the maximum amount of weight for his proportions. He said he deadlifted with a straight back and more leg drive years ago but it would not allow him to lift more than 340kg (750).

The biggest influence on his deadlift training has been Ano Turtiainen of Finland, who has given him a lot of advice on his form.

Early on he took his deadlift from 340kg (750) to 390kg (860) in 7 months without increasing his body weight with his technique and training based on US methods, and reached 407kg (895) at a body weight of 118kg. This is where progress stalled and he had to look at other methods.

He now uses a combination of speed work and higher volume training with 75-90% of his max, assistance exercises, and "Westside" training methods. His current training methods have allowed him to take his deadlift to 430kg (948).

At his last competition he did not know how much he could lift but having since analyzed his performance he believes it is not his limit. He wants to go to the United States in 2007 to break the world record.

Training secrets

He explains that intra-abdominal pressure is very important and a belt should be used sparingly. He only uses it lifting maximum weights. He doesn't feel a belt adds anything to his deadlift. He feels sumo lifters benefit more from a belt and that for conventional deadlifters it's only necessary for stability and a little assistance at the start of the lift.

He doesn't use straps in training and doesn't have any problems pulling weight off the floor. In the rack he's pulled 500kg (1100lbs) and held onto it for 8 seconds.

The psychological side of lifting is of great importance to him. Before record attempts, he gets into a state of extreme mental excitation. To lift maximal weights he lifts quickly and aggressively. He puts fear out of his mind. There is no thinking of limits or barriers.

Recently he has excluded powerlifting squats from his training and only squats Olympic style which he feels is better for developing the legs and hip muscles. He also trains the posterior chain with other exercises.

Plans for the future

To break the world record in the deadlift he knows he must specialize in it but he would like to eventually return to being competitive in all three lifts and put up a big total.

He loves the sport of powerlifting and is not in it for money or glory. It is a "way of life." It gives him strength, confidence, develops character, willpower, all qualities that are necessary in everyday life.

DeGermaan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeGermaan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeGermaan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeGermaan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeGermaan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeGermaan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeGermaan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeGermaan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeGermaan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeGermaan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DeGermaan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Good read, thanks!

Originally Posted by DeGermaan
    Good read, thanks!
    No problem. It took me a while to translate and type it all out. Hopefully I got it all right. I've read plenty of stuff about Bolton and Magnusson but information on Konstantinovs hasn't been easy to find, especially in English (most of it is in Latvian).

Anyway, I have no doubt he will become the world's best deadlifter. The fact he can hang with those two super heavyweights while competing in the 275 class is nothing short of amazing. The guy could EASILY carry more weight. Benni and Bolton are blimps while Konstantinovs looks like he's carved out of concrete. As far as I'm concerned if he decides to step up to the 308 or SHW class, the record is his for the taking.
    Attached Images

The Giant Killer ShreddedShruggin's Avatar
    ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Bleh, pics like that pi$$ me off. This dude pulls 800 and his back is fine yet i dont even pull half that and im a f*cking cripple

-Grimface

Originally Posted by Still_Shruggin
    Bleh, pics like that pi$$ me off. This dude pulls 800 and his back is fine yet i dont even pull half that and im a f*cking cripple
    He's a freak, it's as simple as that. Only a handful of guys will ever lift that kind of weight so you just sit back and marvel at it.

It's way too early in life to write the lift off. It might only cause you pain right now but when everything has settled down back there you might be okay. I remember reading somewhere that Benedikt Magnusson had serious back problems before he started deadlifting. Here it is: "I broke my back in a skiing accident and I had to get my back to work again. Deadlift takes the pain away. I started training 5 years ago and powerlifting 3 years ago. During this period I had break of one month and that was hell. Deadlift makes me feel good."

So you never know. My back was a f**ked up piece of **** before I started training. I always had pain between the shoulder blades, the neck, the lower back, the tailbone. I could never sit in a chair without wanting to crack it every 2 minutes it was so uncomfortable and I'd lie in bed at night in pain. These days it's fine. In some respects I'm glad I didn't start out deadlifting because I'd have definitely ended up hurting myself. Instead I slowly built up strength with rows so when it came time to deadlift my back was already pretty solid.

PanzeR- is a name known to all. (+5000) PanzeR- is a name known to all. (+5000) PanzeR- is a name known to all. (+5000) PanzeR- is a name known to all. (+5000) PanzeR- is a name known to all. (+5000) PanzeR- is a name known to all. (+5000) PanzeR- is a name known to all. (+5000) PanzeR- is a name known to all. (+5000) PanzeR- is a name known to all. (+5000) PanzeR- is a name known to all. (+5000) PanzeR- is a name known to all. (+5000)
    thanks for translating this dom, good read.
    Best total: 1715 (600-415-700) raw with wraps.
    A method behind madness....

olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000)
    That was awesome Dom- thanks for taking the time to translate all that out and then post it in here.
    I completely agree with you- he definately has what it takes to beat the WR. Just adding weight alone to his huge frame would probably do it, although he might want to just stay in the 275 class.
    Judging from the 948 @ 275 lift thats a 3.4 X bw deadlift if my calculations are right. I think the greatest relative to bodyweight deadlift ever was 4.6x bodyweight? That means he could definately progress a lot further- maybe deep into the 1000lb mark if he is still lifting 20 years from now.
    I can do all things through Christ, because he gives me strength- Philippians 4:13

ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    I could never sit in a chair without wanting to crack it every 2 minutes
    I know the feeling

-Grimface

Originally Posted by Still_Shruggin
    I know the feeling
    Shruggin, it might all sound like crap to you right now, but don't be resigned to having a screwed up back for life, not while you're still young. I haven't forgotten what mine was like. I remember people would always think I was lazy when I'd find ways to get out of moving something like furniture or whatever, but I didn't know how to say "I can move it no problem but I'll be in a lot of pain later." As it turned out, my spinal erectors, glutes, hams, they were all weak and wasting away. Now that they're strong, there's no pain back there.

Originally Posted by PanzeR-
    thanks for translating this dom, good read.
    No problem Panzer, glad you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted by olympic
    That was awesome Dom- thanks for taking the time to translate all that out and then post it in here.
    I completely agree with you- he definately has what it takes to beat the WR. Just adding weight alone to his huge frame would probably do it, although he might want to just stay in the 275 class.
    Judging from the 948 @ 275 lift thats a 3.4 X bw deadlift if my calculations are right. I think the greatest relative to bodyweight deadlift ever was 4.6x bodyweight? That means he could definately progress a lot further- maybe deep into the 1000lb mark if he is still lifting 20 years from now.
    Olympic, I knew there had to be an interview out there so when I found it I didn't waste any time typing it out. I've talked about him a lot and it was time to hear from the man himself.

In terms of relative strength, Lamar Gant pulled 639 @ 123 about 25 years ago, which is 5.18x. But among the big guys, Konstantinovs stands alone. He's competed as a 275 for a long time now and given his big frame and height like you said, he could easily carry more weight without looking like he's tucked a watermelon under his shirt. Bolton and Magnusson are already up around 350lbs at 6ft.

Given that there's no surer way of increasing strength than gaining weight, if he wants to knock over Bolton's record, he could add another 30lbs and compete in the 308's. He's already got the 275 record locked up and that won't be beaten anytime soon. Just to give you an idea, the current 308 record is 909. He could already have it. And the guy is in his late 20's so he's got plenty of time to reach his goals. He can do whatever he wants.

Kouta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kouta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kouta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kouta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kouta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kouta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kouta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kouta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kouta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kouta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kouta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    He's a freak, it's as simple as that. Only a handful of guys will ever lift that kind of weight so you just sit back and marvel at it.

It's way too early in life to write the lift off. It might only cause you pain right now but when everything has settled down back there you might be okay. I remember reading somewhere that Benedikt Magnusson had serious back problems before he started deadlifting. Here it is: "I broke my back in a skiing accident and I had to get my back to work again. Deadlift takes the pain away. I started training 5 years ago and powerlifting 3 years ago. During this period I had break of one month and that was hell. Deadlift makes me feel good."

So you never know. My back was a f**ked up piece of **** before I started training. I always had pain between the shoulder blades, the neck, the lower back, the tailbone. I could never sit in a chair without wanting to crack it every 2 minutes it was so uncomfortable and I'd lie in bed at night in pain. These days it's fine. In some respects I'm glad I didn't start out deadlifting because I'd have definitely ended up hurting myself. Instead I slowly built up strength with rows so when it came time to deadlift my back was already pretty solid.
    Funny thats pretty similar to me. I hurt my back bending over to pick up a football off the ground. I had massive troubles with it. Sitting down, in bed, walking, running all gave me heaps of pain.

I was going to a chirporactor which made it better but the pain would come back within a week, would have spent over $1000 at the place.

As soon as i started doing deadlifts my back pain pretty much dissapeared. Like you said, basically a prosterior chain that has waisted away was the main problem.

Back pain is such a massive problem, i wounder how much of it could be fixed by just strengthening it.

"Greatest Gig in the Sky" young and strong's Avatar
    young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Nice read Dom *still waiting for the 800 pound deadlift*
    "i dont know man i try to maintain low bw and gain stregth because what good is stregth if your using half of it to move your body. high stregth plus low body weight equals intense explosion. i think a guy like irish kid or gray horse would mess bs up in a fight due to kickness and probably better punch stregth explosion. i still wouldnt wanna fight bser though hed wreck me due to the size advantage and my legs arent up to par to make me a stregth conter" Sickonstorm

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

is back from hiatus! ElSpaceBandito's Avatar
    ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000)
    In terms of relative strength, Lamar Gant pulled 639 @ 123 about 25 years ago, which is 5.18x
    thats pretty rediculous!

Oleksandr Kutcher would be way up there in terms of relative strength, @ 165 he pulled 4.8 x his BW, and totaled for the big 3 with 13.13x, the 2nd highest ratio of all time....he's my hero
    Next Oleksandr Kutcher In The Making!

MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000) MassIsAhead is just really nice. (+1000)

Smile

Dom, add me to the list - I've had back problems as well - that is, before I started deadllifting. Interestingly, my brother - who has a scheuermann condition, well it's not severe or anything but it's there - no longer has back pains either after I got him to train deadlifts.

Deadlifts rule in terms of back health!

- great read on Konstantinovs!

G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    No problem. It took me a while to translate and type it all out. Hopefully I got it all right. I've read plenty of stuff about Bolton and Magnusson but information on Konstantinovs hasn't been easy to find, especially in English (most of it is in Latvian).

Anyway, I have no doubt he will become the world's best deadlifter. The fact he can hang with those two super heavyweights while competing in the 275 class is nothing short of amazing. The guy could EASILY carry more weight. Benni and Bolton are blimps while Konstantinovs looks like he's carved out of concrete. As far as I'm concerned if he decides to step up to the 308 or SHW class, the record is his for the taking.
    that's awesome Dom, you know I can never get enough Konstantinovs. So strong ... so beautiful
    Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night

Originally Posted by Kouta
    Funny thats pretty similar to me. I hurt my back bending over to pick up a football off the ground. I had massive troubles with it. Sitting down, in bed, walking, running all gave me heaps of pain.

I was going to a chirporactor which made it better but the pain would come back within a week, would have spent over $1000 at the place.

As soon as i started doing deadlifts my back pain pretty much dissapeared. Like you said, basically a prosterior chain that has waisted away was the main problem.

Back pain is such a massive problem, i wounder how much of it could be fixed by just strengthening it.
    I can totally relate to all that. I used to spend a lot of time working on a computer and also a lot of hours practicing music so my back was pretty much wasting away. It was hell on my back when I started lifting weights, but the human body is an amazing thing. It adapts if you give it enough reason to. I wasn't doing deadlifts but I did plenty of BB rows, one-arm DB rows, lat pulldown, seated cable rows, T-bars, and it gradually got stronger. I started doing deads last year and training them properly this year. It feels like something I was built to do which is a long way from where I started as a skinny guy with a brittle back.

Looking back I'm glad I didn't start off doing deads because I'd have probably used poor form like a lot of people and got hurt. I started doing them at the right time because I haven't had a single problem since.

Originally Posted by young and strong
    Nice read Dom *still waiting for the 800 pound deadlift*
    Grab a seat, you'll be waiting a while Seriously though, it looks crazy on paper but it's there to motivate me. I know I can hit 700, that I will do, so I figured why not aim higher, even if the difference between 700 and 800 is huge. My reasoning is if I can bring my relative strength on deads up from 2.6 to 2.9-3.0 while gaining 20lbs or so, and stay healthy, it's got to be possible. At least that's what I tell myself.

benchintraining is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) benchintraining is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) benchintraining is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) benchintraining is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) benchintraining is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) benchintraining is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) benchintraining is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) benchintraining is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) benchintraining is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) benchintraining is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) benchintraining is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    One more to the list Dom. When I was 32 I screwed up my back skiing and it plaqued me for 3 years. I started working out at 35 and didnt start deadlifting until Jan 07 (I'm now 37) I can say I have had no back problems in the past 8 months and although I have a long way to go, I just pulled 500 about a month ago. People need to work their back rather than just coast and take it easy. Great thread Dom.
    It's not how much you can lift, its lift as much as you can.

Lifting weights would be a lot easier if they were not so heavy.

"If you do not stand firm in your faith, You will not stand at all." Isaiah 7:9

Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=6347221

Originally Posted by Twone
    thats pretty rediculous!

Oleksandr Kutcher would be way up there in terms of relative strength, @ 165 he pulled 4.8 x his BW, and totaled for the big 3 with 13.13x, the 2nd highest ratio of all time....he's my hero
    You bet, he's a freak too. Solid as a rock as well. I don't want to offend anyone by saying this because I can appreciate anyone lifting heavy weight, regardless of their size, but a 6'4" 275 guy pulling 900+ conventional style impresses me more than a 5'4" 165 guy sumo pulling close to 800. Both feats are truly extraordinary, mind-blowing, but what Konstantinovs is doing, to be so close to the WR at that weight when the two big guys ahead of him are carrying so much more weight, I don't know, it blows me away.

Originally Posted by MassisAhead
    Dom, add me to the list - I've had back problems as well - that is, before I started deadllifting. Interestingly, my brother - who has a scheuermann condition, well it's not severe or anything but it's there - no longer has back pains either after I got him to train deadlifts.

Deadlifts rule in terms of back health!

- great read on Konstantinovs!
    Mass, my back has never felt better since I started deadlifting. Initially there was some stiffness, but these days it pulls up fine. I figure so long as I always warmup properly, don't do anything stupid with my weight progression, keep my form tight, I should be okay. Btw, glad you enjoyed that interview.

Originally Posted by G_Train
    that's awesome Dom, you know I can never get enough Konstantinovs. So strong ... so beautiful
    If I ever go on to be successful in the deadlift as a powerlifter, I'd have to give him a lot of credit. Watching his videos inspired me. Before I knew it was an important exercise, but I didn't train it like I do now, and I wasn't driven to make it my best lift. I really like his style. No BS, he just walks up to that bar and rips it. As that interview reveals, he's a smart guy who knows exactly what he's doing. And he doesn't care for money or fame, he just loves lifting heavy ass weight.

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by benchintraining
    One more to the list Dom. When I was 32 I screwed up my back skiing and it plaqued me for 3 years. I started working out at 35 and didnt start deadlifting until Jan 07 (I'm now 37) I can say I have had no back problems in the past 8 months and although I have a long way to go, I just pulled 500 about a month ago. People need to work their back rather than just coast and take it easy. Great thread Dom.
    Bench, awesome job on the 500. I know it doesn't apply to everyone, some people have some serious problems back there, but what made me avoid the gym for so long was thinking I wasn't built for it. I proved myself wrong. Glad to see training has sorted out your problems as well.

Clearly some people are better suited than others for certain lifts, but the way I see it is you never know until you do everything right for a period of time. That's the only way you can find out if you're cut out for it or not. You know what I mean? Like a lot of people just assume great genetics = getting a free ride. Being naturally big. Lifting crazy numbers for the first time. If it doesn't happen right away they say "my genetics suck!"

My feeling is you can only properly evaluate your genetics when you've put in the effort. If you can say without question that you've done absolutely everything right for years and nothing is happening, fair enough. In my case it was "lazy genetics." I gave my body no stimulus and not enough calories for a long time. Nothing happened. Changed that and my body changed. My back was weak because I never exercised it properly.

Bird4Three is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bird4Three is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bird4Three is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bird4Three is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bird4Three is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bird4Three is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bird4Three is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bird4Three is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bird4Three is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bird4Three is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bird4Three is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Here's a rough translation of an interview I found in Russian with Konstantinovs.
    From a recent training session:

Deadlifts from the floor

260 x 5
    350 x 5
    440 x 3
    530 x 1
    620 x 1
    705 x 1
    795 x 1
    860 x 4

Rest 30 minutes

Pulling off blocks

375 x 5
    485 x 5
    660 x 1
    750 x 5
    815 x 5
    [/indent]
    That was a good interview, thanks for posting Dom. Can't believe this guy deadlifts up to 860, takes 30 minutes off, then comes back and knocks out more. I love deadlifting, but my back would be stiff as hell after the break.
    A winner is someone who recognizes his God given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals. - Larry Bird

EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    DOM needs to install a coffee machine and put out some leather lounges in this journal.

We could do a pilot on NBC for a mens' fitness chat show hahah
    EoR is powered by unique Nanomolecular Hyperdispersion Technology. Giving him high bioavailability and myocellular saturation.

"Greatest Gig in the Sky" young and strong's Avatar
    young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I forgot to ask you something.... in the interview Konstantinov says that olympic squats were the best for deadlifts because they are good at developing the hip and leg muscles.
    I notice your only doing parrelell squats, maybe you should give olympics a go for a while? Just a suggestion
    btw deadlifts are my favorite exercise as well
    "i dont know man i try to maintain low bw and gain stregth because what good is stregth if your using half of it to move your body. high stregth plus low body weight equals intense explosion. i think a guy like irish kid or gray horse would mess bs up in a fight due to kickness and probably better punch stregth explosion. i still wouldnt wanna fight bser though hed wreck me due to the size advantage and my legs arent up to par to make me a stregth conter" Sickonstorm

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

is back from hiatus! ElSpaceBandito's Avatar
    ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_ View Post
    You bet, he's a freak too. Solid as a rock as well. I don't want to offend anyone by saying this because I can appreciate anyone lifting heavy weight, regardless of their size, but a 6'4" 275 guy pulling 900+ conventional style impresses me more than a 5'4" 165 guy sumo pulling close to 800. Both feats are truly extraordinary, mind-blowing, but what Konstantinovs is doing, to be so close to the WR at that weight when the two big guys ahead of him are carrying so much more weight, I don't know, it blows me away.
    i guess theres two sides to it. you could say that realtive strength is most admirable seeing as the small guys are lifting 5 and over times their body weight where as the big guys rarely go over 3 x. but on the other hand you have the big guys at a level the lighter lifters simply wont be able to get to...no matter how much higher the ratio is for Kutcher than Konstantinovs, kutcher will never be able to get as high numbers as him...so both have their ups and downs...personally i appreciate relative strength more but, both scenarios are impressive to say the least
    Next Oleksandr Kutcher In The Making!

Originally Posted by young and strong View Post
    I forgot to ask you something.... in the interview Konstantinov says that olympic squats were the best for deadlifts because they are good at developing the hip and leg muscles.
    I notice your only doing parrelell squats, maybe you should give olympics a go for a while? Just a suggestion
    btw deadlifts are my favorite exercise as well
    What I got from that interview is he's doing them to minimize lower back fatigue while specializing in deadlifts since he's pulling heavy twice every 9-12 days. Squats are a weak lift for me compared to my deadlift so I'm doing PL squats where I only break parallel or hit parallel rather than go rock bottom and in my lighter squat workouts I do squats more like an Oly lifter. I feel this covers all bases and I'm not missing out on anything.

Some guys only do Oly squats, and while they get the bodybuilding and athletic benefits, they're not exactly moving a lot of weight. I want it all.

Originally Posted by Twone View Post
    i guess theres two sides to it. you could say that realtive strength is most admirable seeing as the small guys are lifting 5 and over times their body weight where as the big guys rarely go over 3 x. but on the other hand you have the big guys at a level the lighter lifters simply wont be able to get to...no matter how much higher the ratio is for Kutcher than Konstantinovs, kutcher will never be able to get as high numbers as him...so both have their ups and downs...personally i appreciate relative strength more but, both scenarios are impressive to say the least
    Sure, and that's what's great about competing in a strength sport like PL with weight classes. You're rewarded for being strong for your weight. Kutcher is an amazing lifter, but seeing a guy who's big and lean like Konstantinovs so close to the deadlift WR just impresses me more. A 3.45x bw lift at 275 is amazing. Each to his own of course.

Hmmm, i noticed you like to do those overhead db extensions, but you do them standing because your limited on weight? Suggestion....why not just use the tricep bar instead?

-Grimface

Originally Posted by Still_Shruggin View Post
    Hmmm, i noticed you like to do those overhead db extensions, but you do them standing because your limited on weight? Suggestion....why not just use the tricep bar instead?
    Great idea Shruggin, although the problem is getting my hands on one. None of the gyms around here have one. Another way to do them is with a rope attachment on a low pulley but you need a big cable stack to get the job done.

I mainly do them standing out of convenience. If I'm going to sit down I want back support but regular benches get in the way. The best thing I've found for them is facing the other way on a preacher bench but you know how popular that thing is so I don't bother. At the end of my workout I just want to knock out those iso sets quickly and standing next to the DB rack makes it easy.

eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey Dom....quick question if I may. I've been doing alot of reading on GPP work. In reading, I'm not clear on when to do them. If I'm doing a DF 5x5 routine, when do I do the GPP work? I'm assuming not on training days and only 1-2 days a week on an off day.

Also, given I only started training in 2001-02 and the fact I'm getting up there in age, what can I realistically expect in strength gains? I'm aiming to get stronger but obviously want to keep reality in check.

As always...your thoughts appreciated.

Ed
    Thy will, not mine, be done.....

"Absolutely no reason to stop any routine you are making good progress on. The only magic bullet is progression over the LONG-TERM"
    Iron Addict (RIP)

"Hey! You can rest when you're dead!" ironwill2008

Originally Posted by eddied27 View Post
    Hey Dom....quick question if I may. I've been doing alot of reading on GPP work. In reading, I'm not clear on when to do them. If I'm doing a DF 5x5 routine, when do I do the GPP work? I'm assuming not on training days and only 1-2 days a week on an off day.
    You can do it between workouts which is probably the most common way. What I like to do is finish my workouts with a quick blast of circuit training, both for conditioning and a pump. That way it doesn't interfere with the rest of my training. I also like to do stuff like Farmers walks for 10 mins at the end of a workout. Often I don't even bother listing this stuff in my journal because I just improvise and do whatever I feel like doing until I'm out of breath. Gets the job done.

Also, given I only started training in 2001-02 and the fact I'm getting up there in age, what can I realistically expect in strength gains? I'm aiming to get stronger but obviously want to keep reality in check.
    Good question Ed, beats me. Obviously T and GH starts to fall away for most guys in their late 20's, early 30's, but in many ways you can look at it like modifying a car. You don't always have to increase the displacement of the engine to get better 1/4 mile times. In other words, while age might lower your strength potential, you giving 100% and doing everything right with your diet and training decisions in your late 30's, early 40's will clearly yield better results than if you were half assing it in your 20's.

In a perfect world we'd have started in our mid teens, but it's something I don't lose sleep over. I just stay focused on doing everything right and making every workout count. I feel at the top of my game right now so I've got no regrets. Some guys get started early, suffer some bad injuries, and give up. While you're healthy and enjoying training, make the most of it.

eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks Dom....enjoy your day!!

Ed
    Thy will, not mine, be done.....

"Absolutely no reason to stop any routine you are making good progress on. The only magic bullet is progression over the LONG-TERM"
    Iron Addict (RIP)

"Hey! You can rest when you're dead!" ironwill2008