jwojo is just really nice. (+1000) jwojo is just really nice. (+1000) jwojo is just really nice. (+1000) jwojo is just really nice. (+1000) jwojo is just really nice. (+1000) jwojo is just really nice. (+1000) jwojo is just really nice. (+1000) jwojo is just really nice. (+1000) jwojo is just really nice. (+1000) jwojo is just really nice. (+1000) jwojo is just really nice. (+1000)

Question Powerlifting Friendly Gym in Northern NJ???

Anybody know of some (or any) good powerlifting friendly gyms in Northern NJ (ideally close to Newark)?

The gyms around here are either real cheasy holes in the wall type places with no equipment to speak of or larger commercial gyms that are more fitness oriented.

Honest to god, Retro Fitness is the only place I was able to find that even has an actual squat rack where you could also deadlift without anybody looking at you funny. All other gyms seem to only have smith machines. Nevertheless, Retro does not have boxes for box squats, no safety squat bar, no cambered bar, no bands or chains, etc......all the things I want and need to start using to keep improving.

Thanks in advance for any input!

GeneRychlak is just really nice. (+1000) GeneRychlak is just really nice. (+1000) GeneRychlak is just really nice. (+1000) GeneRychlak is just really nice. (+1000) GeneRychlak is just really nice. (+1000) GeneRychlak is just really nice. (+1000) GeneRychlak is just really nice. (+1000) GeneRychlak is just really nice. (+1000) GeneRychlak is just really nice. (+1000) GeneRychlak is just really nice. (+1000) GeneRychlak is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jwojo View Post
    Anybody know of some (or any) good powerlifting friendly gyms in Northern NJ (ideally close to Newark)?

The gyms around here are either real cheasy holes in the wall type places with no equipment to speak of or larger commercial gyms that are more fitness oriented.

Honest to god, Retro Fitness is the only place I was able to find that even has an actual squat rack where you could also deadlift without anybody looking at you funny. All other gyms seem to only have smith machines. Nevertheless, Retro does not have boxes for box squats, no safety squat bar, no cambered bar, no bands or chains, etc......all the things I want and need to start using to keep improving.

Try Skiba's in Carteret. Henri been in the game for years and has plenty of guys who compete to guide you. Tell him I sent you.

BongoBanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BongoBanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BongoBanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BongoBanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BongoBanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BongoBanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BongoBanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BongoBanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BongoBanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BongoBanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BongoBanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GeneRychlak View Post
    Try Skiba's in Carteret. Henri been in the game for years and has plenty of guys who compete to guide you. Tell him I sent you.
    i didnt know you posted here.

BiggBaby00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggBaby00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggBaby00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggBaby00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggBaby00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggBaby00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggBaby00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggBaby00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggBaby00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggBaby00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggBaby00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I lift at Strong and Shapely in East Rutherford (quick trip down 21 from Newark), and it is pretty PL friendly. 2 full racks, a few half racks, safety bar, cambered bar, boxes, deadlift mat, GHR. A good amount of serious PLers and BBers. It's a little over $50 a month. If you want, I could get you a free week to try it out. They're hungry for new members.

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have heard good things about Strong & Shapely, it is more of a 'bodybuilding' gym but am sure that it would be PL friendly.

Another option is my friend's gym in Fairfield - it is called "Bodygoals" and he has a monolift, bands, chains, rack, various bars, and a full selection of strongman equipment.

Pictures: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=135803011
    Pro Strongman & Former National Champion

PR Gym Lifts -> Front Squat 515 Lbs / Deadlift 700 lbs / Strict Press 325 lbs

Website | www.mutaffis.com
    Instagram | www.instagram.com/tmutaffis
    ******** | www.********.com/StrongmanTomMutaffis
    YouTube | www.youtube.com/tmutafs

jwojo is just really nice. (+1000) jwojo is just really nice. (+1000) jwojo is just really nice. (+1000) jwojo is just really nice. (+1000) jwojo is just really nice. (+1000) jwojo is just really nice. (+1000) jwojo is just really nice. (+1000) jwojo is just really nice. (+1000) jwojo is just really nice. (+1000) jwojo is just really nice. (+1000) jwojo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I visited the websites for both Skiba's and Bodygoals last night and I guess I would need to visit to see exactly what they have in the form of equipment...but both are definite possibilities. I've been to Strong and Shapely once, so I know where it is....never worked out there, but it's nice to know they're an option also.

Looks like I have to plan some visits...

Originally Posted by BiggBaby00 View Post
    I lift at Strong and Shapely in East Rutherford (quick trip down 21 from Newark), and it is pretty PL friendly. 2 full racks, a few half racks, safety bar, cambered bar, boxes, deadlift mat, GHR. A good amount of serious PLers and BBers. It's a little over $50 a month. If you want, I could get you a free week to try it out. They're hungry for new members.
    I just checked out the virtual tour on Strong and Shapely's website and holy cow...it looks like they've got two cages, two other squat racks....a boat load of rowing stations....dumbells up to more than I can squat....how come I never lifted here!?!?!?!?

BiggBaby00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggBaby00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggBaby00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggBaby00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggBaby00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggBaby00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggBaby00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggBaby00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggBaby00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggBaby00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggBaby00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just checked out the virtual tour on Strong and Shapely's website and holy cow...it looks like they've got two cages, two other squat racks....a boat load of rowing stations....dumbells up to more than I can squat....how come I never lifted here!?!?!?!?
    There's a monolift too, which I've literally never seen anybody use in my year there. They have 3.5 sets of dumbbells, and pretty much every pulling/pressing machine I've seen around haha. I'm pretty new to the PL game (knocking on a 1,000lb total @ 245), so I don't have any need for bands/chains yet, but I'm pretty sure they have em somewhere.

MaybeMoreAbs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaybeMoreAbs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaybeMoreAbs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaybeMoreAbs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaybeMoreAbs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaybeMoreAbs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaybeMoreAbs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaybeMoreAbs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaybeMoreAbs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaybeMoreAbs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaybeMoreAbs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Sounds better equipped than Diamond in Maplewood

Originally Posted by BiggBaby00 View Post
    There's a monolift too, which I've literally never seen anybody use in my year there. They have 3.5 sets of dumbbells, and pretty much every pulling/pressing machine I've seen around haha. I'm pretty new to the PL game (knocking on a 1,000lb total @ 245), so I don't have any need for bands/chains yet, but I'm pretty sure they have em somewhere.
    I don't think Diamond is quite as famous as it used to be. And I think it was more bb focused than PL. But worth a check. But the equipment at S&S seems pretty scary good.
    "If to do were as easy as to know what were good to do, chapels had been churches, and poor men's cottages princes' palaces." (that Portia, smart as a whip, isn't she great?)

jonnymonny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnymonny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnymonny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnymonny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnymonny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnymonny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnymonny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnymonny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnymonny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnymonny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnymonny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

gyms

It is all about finding better gym which is committed to providing the best training support. There are professionals in this area providing the best services personal trainers, personal training classes to each and every member.

focryinout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    check out a new gym ...Chiseled Health And Fitness in Plainfield. owned by a former USPF regional Champion, Hiroshi Powell 1800 total @ 165 several platforms..He gets it..will allow you to train the way you need to to get the BIG numbers

setting up teams now...
    making great signon deals for new members... competitive rates

chiseledhealthandfitness.com
    Last edited by focryinout; 02-05-2013 at 08:42 PM.

MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm probably going to train at Skiba's this summer. I just called Henri to ask him about rates but he hasn't got back to my yet.

From what I've hear it's the place to be in Nj

Accepting Sponsorships LT1Squirrel's Avatar
    LT1Squirrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LT1Squirrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LT1Squirrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LT1Squirrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LT1Squirrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LT1Squirrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LT1Squirrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LT1Squirrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LT1Squirrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LT1Squirrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LT1Squirrel has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have heard nothing but good things about skibas
    Your whole crews pussy

Aspiring Powerlifter Sebastianc2012's Avatar
    Sebastianc2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sebastianc2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sebastianc2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sebastianc2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sebastianc2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sebastianc2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sebastianc2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sebastianc2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sebastianc2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sebastianc2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sebastianc2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by focryinout View Post
    check out a new gym ...Chiseled Health And Fitness in Plainfield. owned by a former USPF regional Champion, Hiroshi Powell 1800 total @ 165 several platforms..He gets it..will allow you to train the way you need to to get the BIG numbers

setting up teams now...

Strong 1st post

Anyways, it seems nj has a lot of good choices, which I could say the same about where I live.
    Current/goal

Bw: 177/198
    Bench: 155/185
    Squat: 255/315
    Deadlift: 300/405

Yet to compete.

naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I train at Skiba's on Sundays, here is a quick vid I did a few weeks ago of one of our Sunday training sessions:

As far as powerlifting/strongman equipment and atmosphere plus the guidance of Skiba (the yoda of powerlifting) it's an amazing place.

Here are some other notes on other gyms in the area, I've trained at them all:

Diamond: the epitome of a hardcore gym, great atmosphere. They welcome bodybuilders and powerlifters and the owner is a great guy.

Strong & Shapely: It's like a huge playground of equipment. One of the biggest gyms in the area. Great atmosphere

Apollon Gym: Caters to bodybuilders & powerlifters, they have monolifts, boxes, etc. everything you need and great owner as well. I train here on occasion.

Muscle Mill (Milltown): Another old school, hardcore gym.

Any other questions about these gyms or others, feel free to hit me up.
    Free Agent

Instagram.com/naturalguy2.0

sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Equinox is pretty powerlifting friendly. There's one in Summit as well as Paramus, but it's extremely pricey.

CanDo Fitness is also pretty powerlifting friendly.
    Get Big or Die Training - Only the Strong Survive

Meet PR: 464/348/551
    Gym PR: 505/405/585

Travelin' Man Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151132293&highlight=travelin+man

ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Newb to powerliftin

Could a average guy workout at skibas or appollon without feelin stoopid? Do they hav meets for beginners? Ty

naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ptrmull View Post
    Could a average guy workout at skibas or appollon without feelin stoopid? Do they hav meets for beginners? Ty
    Absolutely both gyms are very helpful and welcoming to new lifters.
    Free Agent

MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by focryinout View Post

setting up teams now...

Bump

I checked this place out today. It's a small warehouse kind of gym but it's got racks, platforms, and bumper plates. Chalk is cool to use and Hiroshi's a really nice guy. It might just become my go-to gym.
    أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله

Originally Posted by MakeABanana View Post
    Bump

I checked this place out today. It's a small warehouse kind of gym but it's got racks, platforms, and bumper plates. Chalk is cool to use and Hiroshi's a really nice guy. It might just become my go-to gym.
    Yup great gym, I trained there a few weeks ago, very powerlifting friendly.
    Free Agent

ChiseledGymNJ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by naturalguy View Post
    Yup great gym, I trained there a few weeks ago, very powerlifting friendly.
    Don't forget - Chiseled Health and Fitness was on Universal Nutrition's 2013 Summer Road Trip tour... We're legit - but you gotta find that out for yourself by stopping by for a workout.

Chiseled Health and Fitness - 1280 North Ave - Plainfield - chiseledhealthandfitness.com or ********.com/chiseledhealthandfitness

(1/2 block off of Terrill Rd/Scotch Plains). Easy to get to from 22, 78, GSP and NJTransit.