elusivemsd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Vapor Distilled Water w/ electrolytes

So, they were out of the regular Sparklettes bottled water at my gym, so I bought a bottle of Glacier's Smart Water (described on the label as vapor distilled water w/ electrolytes.) It was absolutely delicious!
    Don't know much about the stuff other than I've read about competitors switching over to distilled water during the last week or so of prep- I'm guessing that it has to do w/ sodium, since the vaporization probably takes all the minerals out of the water (?) or not.
    My questions are: how is it different than spring water? Is it good and/or beneficial to drink? How do the added electrolytes figure into the whole equation?

ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by elusivemsd
    So, they were out of the regular Sparklettes bottled water at my gym, so I bought a bottle of Glacier's Smart Water (described on the label as vapor distilled water w/ electrolytes.) It was absolutely delicious!
    Don't know much about the stuff other than I've read about competitors switching over to distilled water during the last week or so of prep- I'm guessing that it has to do w/ sodium, since the vaporization probably takes all the minerals out of the water (?) or not.
    My questions are: how is it different than spring water? Is it good and/or beneficial to drink? How do the added electrolytes figure into the whole equation?
    sodium is an electrolyte. When you sweat you lose electrolytes, when you sweat heavily you lose a lot of electrolytes, when you drink alcohol you lose electrolytes. From this you can become very dehydrated so when you get a drink that has electrolytes it is helping to replace those that you lost during sweating, thus balancing the electrolytes in you body=rehydration. A few of these important electrolytes are sodium, potassium, chloride. There are more but can't think of them off the top of my head. Mu guess is that the distilled water is due to having all the other minerals removed and then they add in a good balance of electrolytes since some sports drinks out there (while they do have electrolytes) are high in sugar and other added things which can actually further upset your electrolyte balance in your body if you are already dehydrated. So i would say that what you have got is a pretty good drink if you've just had a heavy workout