jonathan_d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Workout program for an Ectomorph

A little background:

I'm 5'9" 130 lbs. 20 years old. Been skinny all my life. Off and on the past two years I've been weight lifting with limited success. The "off and on" obviously part of the problem, overtraining the first year was another.

The past 4 months I've made the decision to become more dedicated to my efforts (ie, get on a regular schedule, and stick to it). Unfortunately, my program was almost all isolated movements. Again, I've had limited success. After reading udii's post, I want to get on a proper program for my body type, and stick to it!

Following udii's reccomendations for compound movements, this is my plan:

Monday: Chest and Back:
    -Bench Press: 3 sets of 8
    -Stiff Arm Pullover: 3 sets of 8
    -Stiff-Legged Dead Lift: 3 sets of 8
    -Bent Over Rows: 3 sets of 8

Wednesday: Lower Body:
    -Squats: 3 sets of 8
    -Dead lift: 3 sets of 8
    -Leg press: 3 sets 8
    -Lying Leg Curls: 3 sets of 8

Friday: Triceps, Biceps, and Shoulders:
    -Shoulder Press: 4 sets of 10 (trying to use a lighter weight/higher rep on these to minimize stress on shoulder joints).
    -Upright Rows: 3 sets of 8
    -Dips: 3 sets of 8
    -Chin-ups: To Failure

Some questions:
    1. How reasonible does this workout program look? Again, consider that I'm an Ectomorph (5'9" 130lbs), and that I'm not a complete newbie to working out.
    2. Is this workout going to be overtraining? What signs of overtraining should I watch for?
    3. Anyone see changes that should be made to this program (add/delete exercises, move exercises to different days, more/less reps and sets, etc)?
    4. Shoulders are a big weakness for me. In upper-body exercises, they always feel like the limiting factor. Since these are all compound exercises, am I going to sufficently work them out?
    5. Any other tips/suggestions? It'd be good to hear tips from other ectomorphs that were in my situation and have gained weight. I'd like to get up to 150 lbs by this time next year.
    6. How much time should I allow between individual sets? 45 secs? Minute? I've heard conflicting stories on what works best for ectomorphs: some say shorter times increase the work out intensity (keeps the heart rate up), others say longer times are necessary to get the heart rate back down, and lessen the amount of calorie burning in the workout.
    7. How much time in between individual exercises? I usually go get a drink of water after every exercise, then do the next.

Obviously nutrition and sleep are a big part of making this possible as well. I'll be closely analyzing my diet and getting my 8 hours of daily sleep.
    Last edited by jonathan_d; 01-21-2003 at 08:16 AM.

hawkpfc2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hawkpfc2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hawkpfc2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hawkpfc2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hawkpfc2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hawkpfc2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hawkpfc2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hawkpfc2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hawkpfc2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hawkpfc2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hawkpfc2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Diet and sleep are the most important part for gaining for skinny or former skinny people like myself. As a routine it is not bad but I think you should switch deadlift and straight-legged deadlift and for me, that is not enough volume. I personally am not a huge believer in "hardgainer" workouts although they definitely work for many people. I would advise on different sets to use a different number of reps or to use a different number on different workouts. The way it is now, you may stagnate pretty quickly without having gained much mass. Your shoulder works okay but if you are willing to consider an isolation exercise, side laterals will help a lot with shoulder width at least from an illusion sense. Between sets, I like low rest but if you find that low reps work best, you probably want to use several minutes. That is basically what I recommend. Oh, and I don't agree with the advice given about arms and direct training.
    Ben

M~LIQUID is on a distinguished road. (+10) M~LIQUID is on a distinguished road. (+10) M~LIQUID is on a distinguished road. (+10) M~LIQUID is on a distinguished road. (+10) M~LIQUID is on a distinguished road. (+10) M~LIQUID is on a distinguished road. (+10) M~LIQUID is on a distinguished road. (+10) M~LIQUID is on a distinguished road. (+10) M~LIQUID is on a distinguished road. (+10) M~LIQUID is on a distinguished road. (+10) M~LIQUID is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    U r 20? getouta ere. "Teen bodybuilding". dam hawk move it use u r power to make this forum a better place
    "WHO DARES WINS" SAS

http://www.muscleforum.co.uk

DOB:09/06/85

Weight: 140lbs
    Height: 5ft10
    Chest: 42"
    Waist: 29"
    Arms:13 3/4
    quads: 21" COME ON QUADS 1 MORE INCHES!!!

Goals!!!
    01/01/04
    Weight: 152lbs A realistic goal
    Chest: 44"
    Waist: 30"
    Arms: 14.5"-15"
    Quads: 23"

PM me if you think you can help me or I can help you.

Originally posted by M~LIQUID
    U r 20? getouta ere. "Teen bodybuilding". dam hawk move it use u r power to make this forum a better place
    There was a >35 forum, and a teen forum (as far as age groups are concerned). I felt this would be the most appropriate place for this post. Perhaps a third forum would be appropriate?

Thanks,
    Jonathan
    Last edited by jonathan_d; 01-21-2003 at 09:33 AM.

Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000)
    "I thought I was looking at my mother's old douche bag except that's in Ohio." - Dudley Dawson aka Booger

"Idle Hands spend time at the genitals, and we all know God hates that" - Drippy

Studying Nutrition 24/7 ManOfSteel2003's Avatar
    ManOfSteel2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ManOfSteel2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ManOfSteel2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ManOfSteel2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ManOfSteel2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ManOfSteel2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ManOfSteel2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ManOfSteel2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ManOfSteel2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ManOfSteel2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ManOfSteel2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What's up man? Just so you know, the stats that you are looking for in a year or so...

Weight: 130lbs
    Height: 5ft9
    Chest: 40"
    Waist: 27.5"
    Arms:13"
    quads: 19.5" COME ON QUADS 2.5 MORE INCHES!!!

TO...

Goals!!!
    01/01/04
    Weight: 140lbs A realistic goal
    Height: 5ft9
    Chest: 42" Waist: 28"
    Quads: 22"

You are gonna need to gain more than 10 pounds to get these stats. 2 inches on chest, 2 inches on arms, half inch on waist, and 2.5 inches on quads will require you to gain about 18 pounds at the least (not 10). But they are definately attainable!!! Go for it man, you will be surprised at what you can do in a year with hard work.
    Currently bulking...goal 3lbs+ increase every month.

M~LIQUID is on a distinguished road. (+10) M~LIQUID is on a distinguished road. (+10) M~LIQUID is on a distinguished road. (+10) M~LIQUID is on a distinguished road. (+10) M~LIQUID is on a distinguished road. (+10) M~LIQUID is on a distinguished road. (+10) M~LIQUID is on a distinguished road. (+10) M~LIQUID is on a distinguished road. (+10) M~LIQUID is on a distinguished road. (+10) M~LIQUID is on a distinguished road. (+10) M~LIQUID is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Those are my goals in weight as a guy I know has them and he is only 133lbs. he s 5ft7ish though.

~MATT
    "WHO DARES WINS" SAS

http://www.muscleforum.co.uk

DOB:09/06/85

Weight: 140lbs
    Chest: 42"
    Waist: 29"
    Arms:13 3/4
    quads: 21" COME ON QUADS 1 MORE INCHES!!!

Goals!!!
    01/01/04
    Weight: 152lbs A realistic goal
    Chest: 44"
    Waist: 30"
    Quads: 23"

PM me if you think you can help me or I can help you.

Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would change that split around. There are some exercises there that you can add to really help you out. ALso, try putting deadlifts with back and stiff deadlifts with les. Squats and deadlifts on the same day might be a little taxing.You can add a bit more volume/sets into that with some good exercises. Here is what I would do:

-Dips (LEANING FOWARD) 3 sets of 8
    -Incline dumbell press 1-2 sets
    -Deadlifts 3 sets of 8
    -Bent Over Rows 3 sets of 8
    -Pullups (palms facing foward) 1-2 sets

-Squats 3 sets of 8
    -Lunges 3 sets (alternate with leg press)
    -Stiff legged dead lifts: 2 sets of 8
    -Hack squats: 2 sets 8
    -Weighted calf raises 3 sets of 12-15

-Shoulder Press: 4 sets of 10 (trying to use a lighter weight/higher rep on these to minimize stress on shoulder joints).
    -close-grip Bench press: 3 sets of 8
    -skull crushers 1 set
    -barbell curls: 3 sets of 8
    -Hammer curls 1 set

This is just what I would do. What udii had was good, but I just prefer a little more volume.
    The Beginner's Guide to Bodybuilding

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101841

John Henry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Originally posted by Sychokid
    I would change that split around. There are some exercises there that you can add to really help you out. ALso, try putting deadlifts with back and stiff deadlifts with les. Squats and deadlifts on the same day might be a little taxing.You can add a bit more volume/sets into that with some good exercises. Here is what I would do:

-Dips (LEANING FOWARD) 3 sets of 8
    -Incline dumbell press 1-2 sets
    -Deadlifts 3 sets of 8
    -Bent Over Rows 3 sets of 8
    -Pullups (palms facing foward) 1-2 sets

-Squats 3 sets of 8
    -Lunges 3 sets (alternate with leg press)
    -Stiff legged dead lifts: 2 sets of 8
    -Hack squats: 2 sets 8
    -Weighted calf raises 3 sets of 12-15

-close-grip Bench press: 3 sets of 8
    -skull crushers 1 set
    -barbell curls: 3 sets of 8
    -Hammer curls 1 set

This is just what I would do. What udii had was good, but I just prefer a little more volume.
    I'm just afraid that'll be too much volume. I'm trying to avoid over training. Although I think with good nutrition and sleep, my body should be able to take more volume.

Jonathan

reconbyfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) reconbyfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) reconbyfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) reconbyfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) reconbyfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) reconbyfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) reconbyfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) reconbyfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) reconbyfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) reconbyfire will become famous soon enough. (+50) reconbyfire will become famous soon enough. (+50)

MY work in 30 minutes<ectomorph>

MON:
    Squat 3x8
    Deads 3x8
    Bent Over Rows 3x8 or Pull Ups 3x whatever you can do
    <calves if you want, not fixated on that yet>
    Abs:3 x20 crunch
    Stretch

TUES:moderate/relaxing walk outside 40 - 60 minutes
    WED: Cardio<run or cycle> 30+ minutes

THURS:
    Bench 3x8
    Dips 3x10 <with weight if you can>
    Military Press 3x8
    Side Bends 1x20
    Abs 3x20 <whatever not weighted>
    Stretch

FRI:Cardio 30+ minutes
    SAT:OFF
    SUN:Start allover again

Usually takes less than 30 minutes...depends on the resting times in between and that varies on a day by day.
    Last edited by reconbyfire; 02-04-2004 at 02:19 PM.

Younglifter14 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Younglifter14 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Younglifter14 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Younglifter14 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Younglifter14 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Younglifter14 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Younglifter14 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Younglifter14 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Younglifter14 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Younglifter14 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Younglifter14 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Re: MY work in 30 minutes<ectomorph>

Originally posted by reconbyfire
    MON:
    Squat 3x8
    Deads 3x8
    Bent Over Rows 3x8 or Pull Ups 3x whatever you can do
    <calves if you want, not fixated on that yet>
    Abs:3 x20 crunch
    Stretch

TUES:moderate/relaxing walk outside 40 - 60 minutes
    WED: Cardio<run or cycle> 30+ minutes

THURS:
    Bench 3x8
    Dips 3x10 <with weight if you can>
    Military Press 3x8
    Side Bends 1x20
    Abs 3x20 <whatever not weighted>
    Stretch

FRI:Cardio 30+ minutes
    SAT:OFF
    SUN:Start allover again

Usually takes less than 30 minutes...depends on the resting times in between and that varies on a day by day.

I think he got it set up since last yr .

Young