Need Help? Customer Support 1-866-236-8417
    AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Rippetoe's Starting Strength Q

I'm creating a spreadsheet for the Starting Strength program, and I'm confused about one thing.

This program alternates a 2 day split over a 3 day week. So you will do ABA one week and BAB the other.

My question is this... both day A and B start with 3x5 squats. Should I use the same weight for both days and increase the weight on "A" days? Ex.

"A" Day, I squat 3x5 at 315.
    "B" Day, I squat 3x5 at 315.
    "A" Day, I squat 3x5 at 320.

next week

"B" Day, I squat 3x5 at 320
    "A" Day, I squat 3x5 at 325
    "B" Day, I squat 3x5 at 325

next week

"A" Day, I squat 3x5 at 330.
    etc.

Would this be correct?
    Mr. Beer, handling a powerlifting hater - "You are living in a dream world. I bet you think Ronnie (Coleman) can beat down a dozen MMA champs and then do a lat spread and use the extra width to glide from building to building, right?"

Geek Giving Crappy Advice SchemeSC's Avatar
    SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    morphic,

No. You are supposed to increase every WORKOUT, not every week. I'm pretty sure that's what Rippetoe advocates in his book. Maybe one of the more experienced members here can confirm this.

By the way, are those your real squat numbers?

Loves heavy stuff Yorkshire Lad's Avatar
    Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SchemeSC
    You are supposed to increase every WORKOUT, not every week. I'm pretty sure that's what Rippetoe advocates in his book.
    Correct.
    My Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=968826

AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    SchemeSC,

Thanks for the reply. The way I had it above, you would increase the weight every "A" workout, which would be 3 times every 2 weeks. I thought this would be a good way to keep progress going for longer. But obviously, doing the program correctly is most important. It just seems unlikely that someone could increase their 3x5 squats 3 times every week.

Yeah, my squat right now is at 325 for 5 reps... I'm aiming to reach the 300 bench, 400 squat, and 500 deadlift 1 rep maxes... but I still have a little ways to go. My bench is 250x5, squat is 325x5 and deadlift is 450x5. I'm coming off of Bill Starr's 5x5, and want to give Rippetoe's a try.

I like the way Rippetoes program has 3 worksets at the same weight, as opposed to Starr's which ramps up to one heavy set of 5. I think it will be a nice change of pace.
    Mr. Beer, handling a powerlifting hater - "You are living in a dream world. I bet you think Ronnie (Coleman) can beat down a dozen MMA champs and then do a lat spread and use the extra width to glide from building to building, right?"

I just wanted to clarify my main point in the above post....

I understand that all the other exercises should increase every workout. The other exercises are only done once every other workout. Like bench press is on day "A", but not on day "B". Same with deads.

But what bothers me is the squats that are done EVERY single workout. I have trouble with the fact that you are supposed to increase your squat EVERY workout... that's 3 times a week. How long can that kind of progress last? Won't the squat stall way before the other lifts?

SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    SchemeSC,

Thanks for the reply. The way I had it above, you would increase the weight every "A" workout, which would be 3 times every 2 weeks. I thought this would be a good way to keep progress going for longer. But obviously, doing the program correctly is most important. It just seems unlikely that someone could increase their 3x5 squats 3 times every week.

Yeah, my squat right now is at 325 for 5 reps... I'm aiming to reach the 300 bench, 400 squat, and 500 deadlift 1 rep maxes... but I still have a little ways to go. My bench is 250x5, squat is 325x5 and deadlift is 450x5. I'm coming off of Bill Starr's 5x5, and want to give Rippetoe's a try.

I like the way Rippetoes program has 3 worksets at the same weight, as opposed to Starr's which ramps up to one heavy set of 5. I think it will be a nice change of pace.
    Nice lifts!

You are absolutely correct, though. Someone with your amount of experience and lifts is not going to be able to increase 5 pounds every single workout for very long. My advice to you is to invest in some microplates or microweights. These weights allow you to make smaller increases to the bar than 5 pounds.

For example, since you are more advanced and will experience slower progression, maybe your program could look something like this:

"A" Day- 3x5 315
    "B" Day- 3x5 316.25
    "A" Day- 3x5 317.5

"B" Day- 3x5 320
    "A" Day- 3x5 321.25
    "B" Day- 3x5 322.5

etc.

Do you have any microweights? If not, let me know. Assuming you use an Olympic bar, I can tell you a very cheap (approx $15, maybe even less), simple, and effective way to get them. They are very, very effective for these types of programs.
    Last edited by SchemeSC; 09-18-2006 at 05:42 PM.

SchemeSC,

Thanks for the replies.

I could really use some microplates, please PM me with info on where I can pick some up for that cheap!

About my lifts, they aren't spectacular, but they are completely unequipped... and I'm still making progress, so I'm happy.

Reps for you as soon as I recharge!

raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you were to go with your plan, you should probably do a lighter squat day instead of just repeating the weight.

315, 265, 320
    270, 325, 275
    330, etc...

Just a thought. Might help your knees too.
    "However, the strength of the hamstring muscles is crucial to fully exploit the strength potential of the quads and ultimately the vertical force that the athlete is able to impart to the barbell." - Andrew Charniga, Jr.

I could really use some microplates, please PM me with info on where I can pick some up for that cheap!
    Actually I think I'll just post this here since I think many members might find this info useful. Here is an easy and cost-effective way to get microplates:

1. Go the website http://www.mcmaster.com

2. Use the product search bar in the top left hand corner. Search for product number "91081 A046". This should produce the following product: "Plain Steel USS Flat Washer 2" Sz, 2-1/8" Id, 4-1/2" Od,.153"-.213" Thk, Approx 8/Pk"

3. Order 1 packet for $11.37 plus shipping.

I can verify that these washers DO fit on an Olympic bar. I have them myself! The diamater of an Olympic bar is 2 inches, while the inner diamater of these washers is 2 1/8 inches.

Here's how the poundages work out:

1 washer PER SIDE= 1.25 total pounds
    2 washers PER SIDE= 2.5 total pounds
    3 washers PER SIDE= 3.75 total pouns
    4 washers PER SIDE= 5 pounds

Good luck!

Oh, and by the way, I got this idea originally from here: http://www.davedraper.com/forum/show...0/page/0#98348. I thought that this was pretty nifty so I reposted it here!