jimm714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimm714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimm714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimm714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimm714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimm714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimm714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimm714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimm714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimm714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimm714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Eat before or after workout?

Is it ok if I have a big meal right before doing a workout? Or is it better to eat after? I am usually really hungry before I workout. After I'm done, I always drink a protein shake which kind of makes me full and ruins my appetite so I can't eat as much as I want to before getting full.

Another thing, I am trying to gain mass right now and I know that I have to eat a whole lot, something like 4 big meals a day. I find it hard to eat so much because I get full and also I have shcool so it is hard to be able to get decent meals. Could anyone who has school post what they usually eat in one day?
    Last edited by jimm714; 09-18-2006 at 04:51 PM.

-GIBBO14- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -GIBBO14- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -GIBBO14- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -GIBBO14- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -GIBBO14- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -GIBBO14- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink

Right firstly, eat your good meal before working out, make sure it has carbs in it, have your shake after and then have some complex carbs at home, 2 houres or so later eat another high protein meal.

Now for school, its easy...

8.00am Meal 1 ( whatever you choose, eggs or somthing)

11.00 am (break time)protein bar and sandwhich

1.30 (dinner time) protein shake

4.00 your pre workout meal...The time of breaks may vary at your school

Thats about, 150g already lol hope i helped
    Height 5,11
    Weight: 185 pounds
    BF: 12%
    CURRENTLY BULKING :D

1 n half years bodybuilding, gone from 9 stone to 13 stone 7

Don't judge those who try and fail, only judge those who fail to try.

JellyBeans will become famous soon enough. (+50) JellyBeans will become famous soon enough. (+50) JellyBeans will become famous soon enough. (+50) JellyBeans will become famous soon enough. (+50) JellyBeans will become famous soon enough. (+50) JellyBeans will become famous soon enough. (+50) JellyBeans will become famous soon enough. (+50) JellyBeans will become famous soon enough. (+50) JellyBeans will become famous soon enough. (+50) JellyBeans will become famous soon enough. (+50) JellyBeans will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    woah wtf? you eat dinner at 1:30?

-GIBBO14- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -GIBBO14- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -GIBBO14- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -GIBBO14- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -GIBBO14- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -GIBBO14- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by JellyBeans
    woah wtf? you eat dinner at 1:30?

Hes on about at school didnt you have a break... normally in England called dinner time...lol.. and i dont really have a dinner time any more its just Meal time throughout the day 6 times dailey or so.
    Height 5,11
    Weight: 185 pounds
    BF: 12%
    CURRENTLY BULKING :D

1 n half years bodybuilding, gone from 9 stone to 13 stone 7

Don't judge those who try and fail, only judge those who fail to try.

jimm714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimm714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimm714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimm714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimm714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimm714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimm714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimm714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimm714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimm714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimm714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hm ok thanks, but isn't it bad to eat a lot then immediately jump in and lift some weights? Same idea when people tell you not to go swimming right away after you eat? This is what I have been doing:

Meal 1 : 7 o'clock eggs or something so that I'm pretty full

Meal 2: 12 o'clock Turkey/Roast Beef sandwhich with banana and some fruit

I get home from school around 3, and this is where I'm unsure of what to do. but usually...

Workout: around 4-5

Protein shake right after

Meal 3: A big dinner following that

I usually can't get the 4th meal in, often times because I am not hungry or it is too late.

Protein shake** before going to bed.

**I've heard that there are different kinds of protein such as whey, ion-exchange, microfiltered, etc. and that there are certain times when each would be the best to take. My protein powder contains:

Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate
    Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate
    Ion Exchange Whey Protein Isolate
    Ultrafiltered Whey Protein Concentrate
    Egg Albumin
    Micellar Casein

So with all of this stuff in it, when would be the best times to take it? I usually take a drink in the morning(27 g), after my workout(54 g), and before I sleep(27 g). I weigh 125 lbs, so I think I'm not getting enough.

woot

Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jimm714
    Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate
    Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate
    Ion Exchange Whey Protein Isolate
    Ultrafiltered Whey Protein Concentrate
    Egg Albumin
    Micellar Casein
    Lol, your like a walking GNC.
    ON 100% Whey protein is considered the favorite among these boards. Its good protein, pretty cheap, and plenty of servings. Hydrolized whey protein is really the only protein supplement you'll need.

You want to try not to eat an hour before going to the gym. Theres an actual biological reason for this. When you eat, your stomach requires much more blood to be pumped there in order to help the digestive system break down your foods. So if you were to go to the gym right after eating a big meal, there will be conflict for blood between your stomach and the muscles your working out. This can cause indigestion, increases the chances that you'll puke during workouts, can cause extra fatigue which will make your workouts suffer.
    The same is also true about post workout meals. If you eat a big meal too soon after a workout, it can cause blood to be diverted from the muscle, towards the stomach. So you usually want to wait 1-2 hours after working out before you have a big meal.

That really only applies to having a big meal though. Theres nothing wrong with a protein shake before or after a workout.

Edit: I noticed that you mentioned you get home around 3, you can have a good meal at that time and you'll be fine to go to the gym at around 4.

So with all of this stuff in it, when would be the best times to take it? I usually take a drink in the morning(27 g), after my workout(54 g), and before I sleep(27 g). I weigh 125 lbs, so I think I'm not getting enough.
    Those are perfect times to take it. And at 125 lbs, your definately getting enough. Your getting about 108g of protein just from the shakes, and your also still getting plenty of protein for the normal foods you eat. You're fine.
    Last edited by Bon; 09-19-2006 at 04:44 PM.
    "Success rests not only on ability, but upon commitment, loyalty, and pride."
    - Vince Lombardi

"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
    - Socrates

maverick22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    woot
    lol why did you say woot
    These feets were made for daaancing, made for daaancing, yea, yea, yea...

maverick22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) maverick22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by -GIBBO14-
    Right firstly, eat your good meal before working out, make sure it has carbs in it, have your shake after and then have some complex carbs at home, 2 houres or so later eat another high protein meal.

Now for school, its easy...

8.00am Meal 1 ( whatever you choose, eggs or somthing)

11.00 am (break time)protein bar and sandwhich

1.30 (dinner time) protein shake

4.00 your pre workout meal...The time of breaks may vary at your school

Thats about, 150g already lol hope i helped
    wow are you a bird.
    because your eating for a bird

dmoore323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmoore323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmoore323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by -GIBBO14-
    Hes on about at school didnt you have a break... normally in England called dinner time...lol.. and i dont really have a dinner time any more its just Meal time throughout the day 6 times dailey or so.
    Yea i call lunch dinner as well.
    -Breakfast
    -Dinner
    -Supper

haha ok. Actually lol all of those proteins and stuff are included in a single powder. that really helped and yeah I was thinking that eating right before you have to exert your muscles is bad because of the whole blood thing. Thanks Bon, this really helped a lot =] <33
    Last edited by jimm714; 09-19-2006 at 04:48 PM.

haha ok. Actually lol all of those proteins and stuff are included in a single powder. that really helped and yeah I was thinking that eating right before you have to exert your muscles is bad because of the whole blood thing. Thanks, this really helped
    post a pic of yourself so i can assess you and post a plan accordingly. whats you body fat, weight and height and are you big-boned.

Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Actually lol all of those proteins and stuff are included in a single powder.
    Oh. If they're all in one powder then thats perfectly fine. I was thinking that you were buying like 4 different types of protein powders lol. As long as you got the whey in there, you're set.
    "Success rests not only on ability, but upon commitment, loyalty, and pride."
    - Vince Lombardi

"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
    - Socrates

I'll get back to you maverick ASAP