Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bench Press Study

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found this interesting study of incline and decline bench presses:
    http://nsca.allenpress.com/nscaonlin...M%3E2.3.CO%3B2

Could someone please tell me how to put in a link to a website, but have it called by another name? Example, how could I post this and have the link say "Bench Press Angles"? Instead of putting the whole link in the post.
    Height: 6'-2"
    Weight 185 pounds

kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Sampson777
    Could someone please tell me how to put in a link to a website, but have it called by another name? Example, how could I post this and have the link say "Bench Press Angles"? Instead of putting the whole link in the post.
    do you mean like this?

that's the FAQ on coding btw...

bb.com forum member #44253

Nothing in this world worth having comes easy

Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by kimsquit
    do you mean like this?

that's the FAQ on coding btw...
    Yes, that is what I mean.
    Height: 6'-2"
    Weight 185 pounds

rknotts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rknotts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rknotts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rknotts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rknotts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rknotts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rknotts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rknotts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rknotts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Interesting.....Seems that according to this I should be doing decline instead of incline???????
    10-05 303lbs
    07-06 233lbs

jcote is on a distinguished road. (+10) jcote is on a distinguished road. (+10) jcote is on a distinguished road. (+10) jcote is on a distinguished road. (+10) jcote is on a distinguished road. (+10) jcote is on a distinguished road. (+10) jcote is on a distinguished road. (+10) jcote is on a distinguished road. (+10) jcote is on a distinguished road. (+10) jcote is on a distinguished road. (+10) jcote is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by rknotts
    Interesting.....Seems that according to this I should be doing decline instead of incline???????
    That's what I got out of it too.

Hmmm....and I thought the decline bench was just good for naps.....
    --JEFF, 36, 6'3", 230LBS
    Effort.Commitment.Dedication.Perseverance.Ambition.
    Turn off the computer, Get in the gym, Shut-up and Lift!

GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Good, I like decline a lot better than incline anyway
    When the opportunity has arrived,

The time for preparation has past.

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jcote
    That's what I got out of it too.

Hmmm....and I thought the decline bench was just good for naps.....

That's not what I got out of it at all.

"Results showed significantly greater lower pectoral Con activation during decline bench press. The same result was seen during the Ecc phase. No significant differences were seen in upper pectoral activation between incline and decline bench press. It is concluded there are variations in the activation of the lower pectoralis major with regard to the angle of bench press, while the upper pectoral portion is unchanged."

This says to me: Doing decline BP causes more stimulation of the lower pec muscle. It does not say that one cannot or does not benefit from doing incline, only that activation is either present or more detectable doing decline.

We have to be careful when reading articles like this and many others like it. It is not crystal clear to ME what the author is trying to say. It appears that most that read this would draw the same conclusion as you guys ^, but I think it's ambiguous regarding what the author is trying to convey to the reader. That is, why don't they clearly say, "Incline BP serves no purpose."? You might argue that that IS what they're saying and I'm an idiot for not clearly seeing that. I've simply seen too many cleverly worded studies that raise more questions in their conclusions because of lack of effective clarification of said conclusion.
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I agree whole-hearetedly with dbx. All that the article says is that the decline bp stimulates the lower pec more than the incline does and that the work that the upper pec does is the same across both exercises.

I imagine the same hold trues for the flat bench as well.

Thus doing the incline and flat bench versions stimulates and strenthens the whole pectoral muscle. Those of us who have lifted for any length of time could have told you that.

It does say that if you like the decline bench, there is some benefit. I however prefer incline, flat, flyes, and dips for the chest.

Ray
    Ray
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Funny test huh?

No Significant results differences in results with the upper pecs, the lower pecs definitely affected with decline presses.

Decline presses are alot easier than incline presses, pecs or no pecs. LOL
    Last edited by domineaux; 09-09-2006 at 03:08 PM.
    HST is my choice of training
    http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/index.html

jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Very misleading article

During the body of the article they refer several times to upper and lower pectoral involvement - however at the beginning of the article they state clearly that they are only measuring pec. major - no mention is made of pec. minor.
    I have always thought that part of the point of doing incline work is to bring the pec. minor into play as a supporting muscle to pec. major.
    My take is that the article says that decline and incline both do as much for the top of pec. major - however without taking pec. minor involvement into account the article is essentially useless in a discussion of whole of chest development.
    As some of you know I do decline due to shoulder issues - bit I also know I have to do something for pec. minor for whole of chest development.
    Last edited by jmc53; 09-09-2006 at 11:37 PM.
    Don't believe anything you read on the net. Except this. Well, including this, I suppose.
    Douglas Adams

wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wild1poet2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I read this to say you get more benefit doing decline than incline. Because you get more lower pec involvement and the same amount of upper pec involvement. My experience says differently.

It's an interesting study.
    That which does not kill you makes you stronger.