Registered User secret_identity's Avatar
    secret_identity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) secret_identity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) secret_identity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) secret_identity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) secret_identity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) secret_identity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) secret_identity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) secret_identity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) secret_identity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What should my caloric intake be? Please help.

I started training with a personal trainer 3 weeks ago. Last week, we measured my body fat percentage at 19% using the seven site caliper method. This was a surprise to me as I don't look like the load of lard 19% is, and only weigh 160lbs.

I'm working on my lifts, doing them 3 times a week split between pulling pushing and legs. My trainer has a solid program. For instance, on push day I did barbell bench press, dumbell incline and dumbell shoulder press, then isolation for my triceps on a cable machine. He then finished off with some pushups which I was too tired to do more than about 5. (I did 20 pushups to warm up, and about 120 yesterday over a 30 minute period)

I am also in Army ROTC so I do 2-3 times weekly runs as well as additional pushups and situps and cardio.

SOOO...my goal has always been to bulk up. I am 5'8", so I would probably try to eventually reach 180-190, then cut to reduce fat to be 'ripped'

However, 19% really depresses me. I have started noticing how fat I am a lot, especially when I scrunch up while sitting in the shower and when I look in the mirror I see the huge love handles.

Before I knew my bf% was 19%, I was eating 3000-4000 calories per day with about 250g of protein.

I know I need 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, so my new plan is to cut down to just 1 protein shake and 3 small meals per day. I would get about 100g of protein in that shake, and get the rest from meat, cheese, and fish in my food. I might consume a mere 2000-2500 calories per day on the new plan.

In terms of supplements, I take a multi and 5 grams of creatine in a drink mix per day. Oh, and 50mg/day anavar in the morning.

Will I continue to gain muscle by eating less, and lose some fat? Or will something else happen? Most people advice eating HUGE to gain muscle...but I am not a hard gainer or skinny, I have 19% body fat! In "theory" 140g of protein would be enough to supply the "building materials" to make more muscle, and the energy to do this would come from my fat.
    Last edited by secret_identity; 09-05-2006 at 05:43 PM.

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by secret_identity
    I started training with a personal trainer 3 weeks ago. Last week, we measured my body fat percentage at 19% using the seven site caliper method. This was a surprise to me as I don't look like the load of lard 19% is, and only weigh 160lbs.
    19% is below the avg for the average guy.

SOOO...my goal has always been to bulk up. I am 5'8", so I would probably try to eventually reach 180-190, then cut to reduce fat to be 'ripped'

Before I knew my bf% was 19%, I was eating 3000-4000 calories per day with about 250g of protein.
    3K-4K per day is probably what gave you a gut for your stats I don;t know how long you've been working out, but if its been more than 6mths you need to decide which you want to do....lose fat first...or go ahead an bulk, in which case it'll take quite some time to get rid of the fat.

Will I continue to gain muscle by eating less, and lose some fat? Or will something else happen? Most people advice eating HUGE to gain muscle...but I am not a hard gainer or skinny, I have 19% body fat! In "theory" 140g of protein would be enough to supply the "building materials" to make more muscle, and the energy to do this would come from my fat.
    I have some numbers that I think would be effective for you. I believe these will enable you to grow muscle and reduce fat. Try this:
    Protein-240g
    Carbs-140g
    Fat-50g

Total apporx cals = 1970. This should allow you to grow muscle and burn some fat for someone of your size. I would advise you to see what this will do for you. Give it 3-4wks and note progress. remember, you may not see progress on a scale (weight-wise) if you're burning fat and adding muscle, so your BF% measurements should be an indication. After 2-3 months (depending), you can add some cals to bulk up. Good luck.
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Registered User secret_identity's Avatar
    secret_identity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) secret_identity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) secret_identity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) secret_identity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) secret_identity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) secret_identity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) secret_identity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) secret_identity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) secret_identity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

k

Thanks a ton. 1.5g per pound of body weight, though? The New England journal of medicine article showing the dramatic effectiveness of anabolic steroids had people on 1.5g per KILOGRAM of body weight. That's .7g per pound. Just checking your reasoning. Here's the link to the study.

I know this isn't the steroids forum, I brought this link in because I would assume that these men were gaining muscle at the maximum possible rate when in this study.

http://www.arthurdevany.com/webstuff...osterone%20%22

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    [QUOTE=secret_identity]Thanks a ton. 1.5g per pound of body weight, though? The New England journal of medicine article showing the dramatic effectiveness of anabolic steroids had people on 1.5g per KILOGRAM of body weight. That's .7g per pound. Just checking your reasoning. Here's the link to the study.

I know this isn't the steroids forum, I brought this link in because I would assume that these men were gaining muscle at the maximum possible rate when in this study. QUOTE]

Did I miss something here? Are you taking steroids? I'm thinking not, but wondering why you're citing a study about people who do take them, and their protein intake.

Trust me, try those numbers. I believe they will accomplish what I said they would.
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

annex75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dbx
    Trust me, try those numbers. I believe they will accomplish what I said they would.
    I'm almost similar to secret_identity..am 5'8'' 163lbs but 26%bf.. so dbx..how should i fine-tune the numbers to allow me to lose the fat but at the same time maintain and gain some muscle mass...with hard training of course? thanks.