segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Dull Pain in Wrist All the Time

Since I've started doing heavy (heavy for me) BB Benches using 5x5 my left wrist has got progressively worse. I am left handed.

For days after the workout my wrist has a dull pain in it when I do any sort of lifting with it or move it sideways when just looking at it. The same pain was experienced about 7 months ago when I first started doing curls (gah!) but got better after months of the same exercises. I don't want to ask a doctor because we all know what they will say. "Stop lifting then dummy!" Well duh, but those are the words nobody wants to hear so I ask you, fellow lifters.

Obviously this is due to over stressing the wrist, but I have noticed that the wrists don't recover as quickly as a large muscle group.

My questions:

1. Is this due to tendons or ligaments or what?
    2. Should I wear wrist wraps or straps? I try not to do this because it weakens the wrist.
    3. How do I go about letting it heal? Should I take some time off or just push through it? It's nothing that will effect my lifting but I'm worried about tendons and general stress on the joints. I'm 29 years of age.

I just don't want to overstress things that can cause problems later on.

Thanks guys

Segment
    Last edited by segment; 09-02-2006 at 10:45 AM.

forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i recommend stretching your wrist to unnatural positions.

example you are at the top of a push-ups position: start moving slowly forward til your wrist is bending backward more and more.

also bend it the other way. this might hurt for a while but should get better soon.

Thewhite9t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Thewhite9t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Thewhite9t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Thewhite9t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Thewhite9t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Thewhite9t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Thewhite9t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Thewhite9t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Thewhite9t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Thewhite9t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Thewhite9t has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've had that happen before. The only way to really make it get better is to stop putting so much stress on it. And if you stop putting so much stress on it your going to weaken it a little. You really have 3 options:
    1. Suffer through the pain and just hope it gets better (which it may, but probly not)
    2. Avoid the exercises that place stress on it and make it hurt.
    3. Use wrist wraps to support it while it heals up.

KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Where exactly on the wrist does the pain seem to be mostly?
    "I'm worried about deadlifts too. I mean the word "dead" has got to be in there for a reason. Are you sure they won't kill me?" - olympic

segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50) segment will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for your replies guys!

I'm going to try stretching it and maybe use the wraps while benching only for a bit.

It hurts the most (2/10 on the pain scale) when I bend my wrist back as if I was trying to touch the same side shoulder (obviously the BB bench press movement.)

Like I said, the pain isn't too great, but it's a dull pain that doesn't seem to go away easily like in a large muscle like a pec.

Segment

Ghumps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i can help you on this because im going through the same thing. About 6 months ago i hurt my wrist pretty bad it went from about a constant 10 to now its about a 4 or 5... its just a really long process to heal. Do not stretch it in unatural positions thats one of the worst things you can do. The best thing to do is to get a big bucket of rice, and just put your wrist in it and twist it around and around to strengthen it. Also always wrap your wrist while its healing... also lift lighter. Hope this helps... trust me i know how frustrating this injury is i went to the doctor got a cortizone shot and everyhting... also IB Profine is a great way to promote healing because it stops the inflamation.

Freeweight818 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    work through the pain, do more reps, increase the strength of the muscles surrounding and supporting the wrist.

Born2Ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Born2Ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Born2Ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Born2Ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Born2Ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Born2Ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Born2Ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Born2Ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Born2Ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Born2Ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Born2Ride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If your hurting your wrists during a press exercise like the bench press most likely you have the bar to far forward toward your fingers.When setting your grip on the bar make sure you are pushing with the palm of your hand not the top of your hand where your fingers start.When you first start doing this it may feel like the bar is going to roll off your palm,but it wont,just keep your finger tips on top of the bar.This should solve your problem,since it takes the strain off your wrists..
    Your not going to grow from light weight,and your not going to grow from light food.........

wolfpilp is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfpilp is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfpilp is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfpilp is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfpilp is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfpilp is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfpilp is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfpilp is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfpilp is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfpilp is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfpilp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i used to have pain on the wrist because i use the thumbles grip most of the time...Dont use thumbles grip on your heavy sets and always wear wrist support

i'm sure the pain will get better man!
    "The art of living well and the art of dying well are one."
    —Επίκουρος (Epicurus )

)))))))))Wolfpilp enjoys interacting with brahs all over the world(((((((((