Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Forearms/Wrists

Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Forearms/Wrists

are there any type of excercises that target the forearms and wrists? I've been lifting, and My Upper Arms are getting larger, I'm afraid the lower half may start to look unproportional....

John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Question

So now I would ask you... what are you doing now for your forearms/wrists?
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    nothing lol. I just do Squats, Deadlifts, BB Curls, Shoulder Shrugs, BB Bench Press, and Cardio, thats it.

gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I bet you're new at deadlift.
    The secret to big muscles is setting their IP-s from the server to the host and chat with one another.

yep. ive only been working out for liek a month.

braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Troutwine
    nothing lol. I just do Squats, Deadlifts, BB Curls, Shoulder Shrugs, BB Bench Press, and Cardio, thats it.
    Well, at least you have squats and DLs............

Add in pullups, dips, bent over rows, cleans/power cleans, military press

powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    are there any type of excercises that target the forearms and wrists? I've been lifting, and My Upper Arms are getting larger, I'm afraid the lower half may start to look unproportional....

Pretty much any rowing movement with out straps hit the forearms.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    wrists are bone and ligaments and ****, they don't grow

foreamrs are pretty much genetic - if u don't have 16'' forearms by now, you'll never have them, let alone 18'' or hwatever you want. for most, just regular back work is enough to trian them.
    <->

Byrne89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byrne89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byrne89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byrne89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byrne89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byrne89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byrne89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byrne89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byrne89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byrne89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byrne89 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    there something you can buy that you squeeze that makes your grip and forearms bigger.... but for your forearms yo ucan also do the following excersises....... 1) Farmer walks(grab the 2 heaviest dumbbells you can pick up and walk with them far as possible) 2) wrist curls (put dumbbel in hand and curl wrist up and back to starting position) those are the only ones that i know that directly hit your forearms.... but from doing bicep curls , benchpressing, etc. your forearms will get bigger.
    What seperates the men from the boys are DEADLIFTS!

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Byrne89
    there something you can buy that you squeeze that makes your grip and forearms bigger..
    crush grip has nothing to do w/ forearm size.
    <->

Australian Guy Abroad 2MuChBoDyFaT's Avatar
    2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cool

Originally Posted by Byrne89
    there something you can buy that you squeeze that makes your grip and forearms bigger....
    Captain of Crush Gripper

Originally Posted by $AJ
    Show me someone with 12" arms that can close a #3 or #4 CoC Gripper and I will agree with you.

IMO, I think there is a direct correlation between the two. Not saying that JUST working your crush grip alone will massively increase those popeye arms.....but every little bit helps

- 2MuCHbOdYfAt
    Current Stack:

Controlled Labs Pink Bits
    Controlled Labs Green Frogs
    Controlled Labs Black Death
    Controlled Labs Purple Haze
    Controlled Labs Gold Bullion
    Controlled Labs Red Eyes

M-J has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) M-J has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) M-J has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) M-J has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) M-J has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    well, i did my upper body routine today and i also noticed that any typ of rowing/deadlifting does work the forearms as well

so does chinups and wide grip pull ups

for isolation moves, do hammer curls and reverse ex barc curls, those will hit the forearms good

wrist is a must to train or else you will not proceed farther thorugh to heavier weights because of fragile wrists which can be trained with bb/ db wrist curls

gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Forearms are usually hit with exercises such as the deadlift and others, but I like to target them seperatley, do reverse curls,, gripping exercises etc

gogz

Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000)
    lift heavy weights

TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you want bigger forearms your best bet is to get into grip training and pay a visit to IronMind.com

The Captains of Crush grippers will give you bigger forearms, but you'll need to do other exercises.

One of the best is called Roll & Drag. http://www.ironmind.com/ironcms/expo...griptip43.html
    My PowerLifting journal!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139726173&p=781873953&posted=1#post781873953

Nikon D90

TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    Crushing grip will definately help you get bigger forearms AJ!

Try banging out reps on a CoC gripper!
    My PowerLifting journal!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139726173&p=781873953&posted=1#post781873953

Nikon D90

Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    No? Isn't that the muscles in the forearm contracting to squeeze the grip?

The genetics argument is absolute crap. Go hang out at a climbing gym and look at the non growing forearms.
    *shakes head* If it doesn't grow in 3 sets or less of x# reps... it must be genetics... Right.

TS - You prob won't get the forearm growth you are invisioning in a regular gym. It's a super high use muscle group and requires special training for growth. The most effective forearm training would be Campus Board training, I recomend Metolious products if you want to build your own.
    Any open handed gripping will also hit the forearms, however this could be dangerous if combined with moving weights.
    The rope wraping around a stick with a weight hanging is pretty a pretty rad one most gyms have. Forgot the technical name for that.
    Last edited by Josiah; 08-24-2006 at 07:20 AM.
    something clever and witty

Originally Posted by Josiah
    The rope wraping around a stick with a weight hanging is pretty a pretty rad one most gyms have. Forgot the technical name for that.
    Wrist Rollers.

Roll & Drag is better though
    My PowerLifting journal!

Nikon D90

maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Imo, the best exercise for strengthening the wrists/forearms is sledgehammer levering.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Boridi
    lift heavy weights
    Makes sense to me. I'm still waiting to see a powerlifter who's a decent size with puny forearms.

Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    Makes sense to me. I'm still waiting to see a powerlifter who's a decent size with puny forearms.

With me it was never that simple Dom. I DLed as heavy as I could, BB wrist curls, farmer's bla, bla and so on!

It wasn't until recently I started to get into grip training and doing really different forearm work. When I say different I mean Drag and rolls, wrist rollers, CoC gripper reps stuff like that. Its also only now that I'm starting to see results from this kind of forearm/grip training (check out the last page in my journal for more info).

I beleive the forearms, along ith calves can, and sometimes, need a real beating. Then again some people can build up certain muscles quicker than other people.

Just my 2 cents
    My PowerLifting journal!

Nikon D90

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by TKD
    With me it was never that simple Dom. I DLed as heavy as I could, BB wrist curls, farmer's bla, bla and so on!

It wasn't until recently I started to get into grip training and doing really different forearm work. When I say different I mean Drag and rolls, wrist rollers, CoC gripper reps stuff like that. Its also only now that I'm starting to see results from this kind of forearm/grip training (check out the last page in my journal for more info).

I beleive the forearms, along ith calves can, and sometimes, need a real beating. Then again some people can build up certain muscles quicker than other people.

Just my 2 cents
    I appreciate your 2 cents Since they're wrist flexors and extensors it definitely makes sense to include specific wrist exercises like you have to completely target them. I'm a big fan of grip work.

I guess what I was trying to say was over time, regularly handling heavy weights on deads, rows, shrugs, weighted chins, farmers walks, etc. is going to make them grow. I'd be curious to see a guy (i.e. a PLer) who's a decent size and has been deadlifting heavy weights (i.e. 600+) for several years who's got puny forearms. So over time, sheer brute force can get the job done.

the woo is on a distinguished road. (+10) the woo is on a distinguished road. (+10) the woo is on a distinguished road. (+10) the woo is on a distinguished road. (+10) the woo is on a distinguished road. (+10) the woo is on a distinguished road. (+10) the woo is on a distinguished road. (+10) the woo is on a distinguished road. (+10) the woo is on a distinguished road. (+10) the woo is on a distinguished road. (+10) the woo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    reverse barbell curls,reverse preacher curls wrist curls to name a few

Zach1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zach1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zach1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zach1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zach1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zach1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zach1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zach1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zach1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zach1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zach1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Experiment and see what works for you.

A lot of people seem to think compounds are the best for many things including forearms and abs.

But for me direct forearm work has been awesome. I do them every other night, even if its just two exercises e.g.

Monday night - Reverse curls and Captains of Crush

Wednesday night - Wrist and reverse curl superset.

Friday night - Behind back curls and reverse curls.

As always concentrate on feeling the muscles doing the work.

Takes 15 minutes but the veins on my forearms are bulging all the time all week long. Forget all the you're limited by genetics stuff - just keep working on your forearms, direct, compound, anything that works them.

Even if you dont get them huge forearms where the flexors, extensors and veins are visible are very impressive.

Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    I appreciate your 2 cents Since they're wrist flexors and extensors it definitely makes sense to include specific wrist exercises like you have to completely target them. I'm a big fan of grip work.

I guess what I was trying to say was over time, regularly handling heavy weights on deads, rows, shrugs, weighted chins, farmers walks, etc. is going to make them grow. I'd be curious to see a guy (i.e. a PLer) who's a decent size and has been deadlifting heavy weights (i.e. 600+) for several years who's got puny forearms. So over time, sheer brute force can get the job done.
    Yes mate, agreed, certainly over time. I waited about 2 1/2 years but nothing really happened Nice to finally be getting results though
    My PowerLifting journal!

Nikon D90

John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Exclamation

Originally Posted by maidenfan
    Imo, the best exercise for strengthening the wrists/forearms is sledgehammer levering.
    True that! Please listen to this man for he knows of which he speaks!!

Also, I recommend a device you may not know about; it looks silly but it works! I swear by this device because I've used it myself and continue to do so.

It's called the Gold's Gym Forearm Exerciser and you can get it @ Wal-Mart, which is where I got mine. It's about 15 bucks or so. It has 6 settings - I have mine set at 5 and I do 3 sets of 30 reps each arm. Talk about a real good pump... it doesn't have a full ROM, but who cares?... this thing will get yer forearms ta growing!!!
    Attached Images
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000)
    People say, crushing grip has nothing to do with forearms strength, and size. For me, doing low heavy reps does not make my forearms grow. But, when I bang out about 25-50 reps on the trainer for a few sets, I'll man my forearms get such a huge pump. It's way different of a pump from wrist curls or any other forearm lift. Higher reps make my forearms just explode. I think it's because forearms are a slow twitch muscle.
    COMBERDS

ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ridley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    reverse barbell curls, wrist curls and reverse wrist curls.

Originally Posted by King Crush
    People say, crushing grip has nothing to do with forearms strength, and size. For me, doing low heavy reps does not make my forearms grow. But, when I bang out about 25-50 reps on the trainer for a few sets, I'll man my forearms get such a huge pump. It's way different of a pump from wrist curls or any other forearm lift. Higher reps make my forearms just explode. I think it's because forearms are a slow twitch muscle.
    I have also found this to be true.
    Regular curls and heavy back work just isn't gonna cut it for a lot of people.

Good post KC!
    My PowerLifting journal!

Nikon D90

gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by John Hicks
    True that! Please listen to this man for he knows of which he speaks!!

Also, I recommend a device you may not know about; it looks silly but it works! I swear by this device because I've used it myself and continue to do so.

It's called the Gold's Gym Forearm Exerciser and you can get it @ Wal-Mart, which is where I got mine. It's about 15 bucks or so. It has 6 settings - I have mine set at 5 and I do 3 sets of 30 reps each arm. Talk about a real good pump... it doesn't have a full ROM, but who cares?... this thing will get yer forearms ta growing!!!
    You serious man? I bought this expecting good things, I tried it out, hmm ok, it's not bad, then I realised that this is like one of those ****ty products manufacturers chuck out there so people can buy them (not calling anyone a noob with one) On the top setting is is simple at best and it digs into the skin where the forearm meets the bicep. And it also looks like some dodgy batman toy.

gogz