jimmymac86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

workout everyday?

I just got into boxing, and some aspects go against what ive read in bodybuilding mags and on t his website. like at the gym they got me doin pushups and sit ups everyday. From what Ive lerned in the mags and such they see your muscles need 48 hours to recover and grow back fully. They also do sit ups and pushups every day in the military. Im pretty sure the military knows what theyre doing. So what the heck I'm kinda confused. Maybe doing workouts everyday is better for tone , and waiting 2 days is better for bulk? Could someone please fill me in. I am actually trying to tome at first it was all about getting big but now i just want to strong, solid, and fast.

Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jimmymac86
    I just got into boxing, and some aspects go against what ive read in bodybuilding mags and on t his website. like at the gym they got me doin pushups and sit ups everyday. From what Ive lerned in the mags and such they see your muscles need 48 hours to recover and grow back fully. They also do sit ups and pushups every day in the military. Im pretty sure the military knows what theyre doing. So what the heck I'm kinda confused. Maybe doing workouts everyday is better for tone , and waiting 2 days is better for bulk? Could someone please fill me in. I am actually trying to tome at first it was all about getting big but now i just want to strong, solid, and fast.
    You can workout everyday as long as you are not exhausting your muscles and over-taxing your CNS.

how do I know if I'm doin this?

Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    whether u work out every day or every other day has nothing to do with whether you appear lean or "toned"(i f*cking hate that word)

it depends on the workout, if your CNS can hang with everyday workouts, more power to you.

doing daily pushups and **** like in the military doesn't count- i'm talking about actually lifting weights every day.

nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would assume that pushups and situps as part of a boxing program would be more for muscle endurance than strength.

And I wouldnt expect them to be very taxing on the old CNS.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Rachel_n_SD
    whether u work out every day or every other day has nothing to do with whether you appear lean or "toned"(i f*cking hate that word)

it depends on the workout, if your CNS can hang with everyday workouts, more power to you.

doing daily pushups and **** like in the military doesn't count- i'm talking about actually lifting weights every day.
    ^^^ Just to add to that, while there's no hard and fast rule, I'd say anything that's under 60% of your max could be tolerated every day without it affecting the rest of your training. A little less for a beginner. So if you're a 200lb guy, doing pushups involves around 2/3 of your bw which roughly equates to benching one plate per side. So if you can press 225+, you'll probably be okay doing pushups every day.

Experiment to find where the threshold is. If you're doing something between workouts that is affecting the important stuff, you'll probably want to dump it.

Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    ^^^ Just to add to that, while there's no hard and fast rule, I'd say anything that's under 60% of your max could be tolerated every day without it affecting the rest of your training. A little less for a beginner. So if you're a 200lb guy, doing pushups involves around 2/3 of your bw which roughly equates to benching one plate per side. So if you can press 225+, you'll probably be okay doing pushups every day.

Experiment to find where the threshold is. If you're doing something between workouts that is affecting the important stuff, you'll probably want to dump it.
    and to add to that^

you will know when you are doing too much. when you are overtrained, and i mean, really overtrained, not just having a bad workout or something, you will know, the feeling is unmistakeable.

shark taco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shark taco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shark taco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shark taco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shark taco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shark taco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shark taco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shark taco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shark taco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shark taco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I used to workout everyday and now I'm working out 2 on 1 off. I changed to this because I got really big (5'11" @ 240) in a few months of everyday workouts (eating alot, squatting, deadlifting, heavy shoulders) BUT after a few months I noticed a loss of muscle mass.

I was working out to the point of my body using muscle for energy. I switched to taking days off. While I don't see a loss of muscle mass I'm also not seeing any difference in progress from working out every day.

I BELIEVE REST IS OVER-RATED! If you eat right, and if you separate complimenting body movements (ie. separate chest and triceps to different days) then you can work out everyday. EXCEPT: what happens is you start to stress your joints and tendons. When this happens you over-compensate on movements and feel the "pop" of getting injured.

I go a lot by feel. If my body is fatigued, I take more time off. If my body is pumped up and I'm mentally motivated, I just keep working out.

how do i alternate, when the basic chest exercises, bench press and push ups work the triceps. btw my triceps always get fatigued before my chest. my chest never gets sore.

shark taco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shark taco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shark taco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shark taco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shark taco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shark taco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shark taco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shark taco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shark taco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shark taco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Don't limit yourself to doing the "traditional" chest exercises: bench, dumbells, push-ups.

Try some other exercises that don't rely on triceps (as much). I'd look into doing cables (there's a few variations of cable exercises you can do). Also, look at doing Flies with dumbbells (use light weight - so you don't get injured for boxing). Try doing chest before doing triceps - if your triceps are fatigued and then you do chest, you might not be working chest hard enough 'cause your triceps aren't allowing it. You can also try doing negative reps on chest (triceps become a support and not a secondary muscle). Try lighter weight on the bench and super-setting with a tricep - then don't do chest/tris until a couple days later or a week later.

I don't necessarily believe that you have to keep chest and triceps separate in a workout routine - but if you want to have a "tricep day" then do triceps first and then chest (or vice versa). If your focus is boxing, then you don't need to follow the "bodybuilding rules." Remember, in body building you'd separate chest and tris 'cause you going heavy and long with both and doing them in the same day is over-working. If your focus is boxing you can do pretty much whatever you want; but go with what "feels good."

Find one or two of the ideas from the paragraph above and then alternate weeks where one week you do flies and no bench, and the following week you do bench and no flies. This will give you every other week of "going easy" on the tris. If you squeeze your reps on flies and cables you can get a great pump on chest and you might find that you can eliminate bench altogether. Honestly, I don't bench; in fact, not too many of the big body builders flat bench for looks (for power, but not looks).

Some might argue that you, as a boxer, shouldn't bench at all (no need). You could get away with cables alone to give you the strength and flexibility you need for fighting.

Also - just thought of this - if you're a fighter, you should be deadlifting; believe it or not, but deadlifting will work your chest (if you're using proper form in the up position) and give you the power to land a punch; this won't use triceps (some biceps).

djnorris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djnorris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djnorris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djnorris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djnorris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djnorris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Originally Posted by Rachel_n_SD

You look pretty toned in your profile pic.
    Powerlifting stats (as of 08-08-06)
    Bench- no one cares
    Squat- what's that?
    Deads- ooouch!

Personal Stats (as of 08-08-06)
    Height- short and wide
    Weight- never enough
    Bodyfat- not embarrassed to strip

Originally Posted by djnorris
    You look pretty toned in your profile pic.
    and i only lift 3x a week. that comes from deads, squats and such.

don't see me doing pushups on my off days.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_

Agreed.

.....and I think toning is possible.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.