the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

WEEK NINETY-ONE :: What Is The Best Way To Kep Motivation High For Competition?

* Note: How can I win? 1. Answer all questions in the order that they are asked. 2. Go over reviews (located at the bottom of each TOTW article) and see what was said about those that did not win. Good Luck!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC: What is the best way to keep motivation high while preparing for a competition?

For the week of: August 25th - August 29th
    Tuesday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------

Motivation is sometimes easy to keep up just by listening to some good music. However, if you are preparing for a competition and have been dieting for many weeks music may not be the only thing you need to keep motivated.

What is the best way to keep motivation high while preparing for a competition?

Are there changes to your routine that might help? What are those?

What kind of change if any would you make to your diet that would raise your spirits?

Bonus: Have you or someone you know lost there motivation and just stopped their training altogether? What did you, or the person you know, do to repair or resolve the problem?

-------------------------------------------------------------

* New Rule (beginning: June 1st, 2006): Any exercise not listed on our exercise listing (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm) must be accompanied by a full and complete description and pictures (or a link to the exercise(s) where pictures and description are given).

Thanks.

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

The best response will get $75 in credit to use in our online store! The other good responses will be used in an article on the main Bodybuilding.com site, with the poster's forum name listed by it. Become famous!

Thanks,
    Will
    Webmaster
    Bodybuilding.com
    Last edited by webmaster; 08-25-2006 at 02:25 PM.
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm lovin' this weeks topic!!!

Only 180lbs in the pic MiketheSwede's Avatar
    MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking

This answere isn't ment to be something that wins me anything but this is what I think, short and sweet:

Stay Strickt!!!!
    The better the diet/training/cardio, the better the results will be. And that is what motivates the most of us. The RESULTS!

israelr9r9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) israelr9r9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) israelr9r9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) israelr9r9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) israelr9r9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) israelr9r9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) israelr9r9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) israelr9r9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) israelr9r9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) israelr9r9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) israelr9r9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking motivation

I just recently finished competing for this year. I competed in 7 different shows throughout a 4 month period. This means that i was on a cutting diet for 7 months!!! This was by far one of the hardest things that i have done, not only in bodybuilding, but in my life. There was highs and lows throught this preparation. There was times when I just felt like this was not even close to being worth the sacrifice, the hard work. But i just kept my head up high and my mind set on the finish line. However, motivation is a key factor in preparing for a competition.

The process of preparing for a competition is not just a physical torture, but a psychological one as well. There are several ways to stay motivated. Perhaps the best one is to take pictures before you start preparing. Whenever you feel like quitting, just look back at those pics and see how far you have gone. Ask yourself "Is it really worth throwing everything I have accomplished away???".
    Another way is to read Universal Nutrition articles whenever you dont feel like training. Trust me, these articles will motivate you and get you psyched for a workout. Their well known phrases like "Shut up and train!" will make you crave some serious iron. I remember that sometimes I would read these articles at night and I would not be able to go to sleep because I would just so psyched that I could not possibly wait till my next workout in the morning. Crazy stuff really works.
    A lot of people also benefit from having a training partner. They help you stay motivated in various ways. I personally prefer not to have one beacuse my training schedule is just too crazy for most people to follow.
    One of my personal favorites was to measure my bodyfat every 2 weeks. Seeing how you bofy fat was dropping just made want to fight even harder, made me take the extra step. But more importatnly, it let me know that everything was working, everything from my training to my diet.

VARIETY, VARIETY, VARIETY. Variety will keep you from getting bored and will also give you more results. Any kind of change to your routine can stimulate more muscle growth, which results in motivation.
    Also, something i liked to do was to train at different times of the day. Sometimes I would just go train in the middle of the night or very early in the morning. These kinds of changes make training more interesting.
    I hated doing cardio, but its a necessary evil. It would be the longest 30 minutes of my day!!! The way I got trough my cardio every day was....changes. Every day I did a different type of cardio. Anywhere from the treadmill to the stationary bike to playing soccer. Also, some type of music player is a must because you can chose the type of music that will get you in the mood for doing cardio, for me it was "speed metal" or "hardcore".

What kind of change if any would you make to your diet that would raise your spirits?

The way I see it, anybody can train 5 times a week. But not anyone can diet for 12-15 weeks ( 28 weeks in my case).
    You have got to have a strong mind to stay away from a burger, some fries and coke, especially when you are with you friends or family who are happily ingesting some massive amounts of fat. And it is not possible to have a strong mind without motivation. It is not easy carrying around a topperware with some chicken and a shaker cup with protein.
    However, there are several ways to conquer a precontest diet. Again the best way is to switch things around. The hardest part of a diet is not the taste of the food itslef, but variety as well. I would cook my chicken every possible way. With lemon pepper, with garlic salt, with some pineapple,with sliced garlic (which by the way has fat burning propeties) or even with jalapeno peppers ( which speeds up metabolism). There is just so many posibbilities, I would always experiment with new recipes and spices.
    Also switch your meals around, dont let your diet get boring, get different flavored protein shakes so your not stuck with the same old vanilla taste. All these types of changes keep you motivated.
    Something I really liked to do was to have a rather not so cheating "cheat meal". Every Sunday I would go to Carl's Jr and order a side salad and a "BBK Chicken Sandwich". Im not really cheating because, unbelievably, this burger only has 4 grams of fat! but it sure tastes great. It helps you stay motivated because it lets you know that you can eat fastfood and still remain on your diet!!!! without technically...cheating!
    Also, I would always chew sugarfree gum to curve cravings. I dont know why but it works!!!

Bonus: Have you or someone you know lost there motivation and just stopped their training altogether? What did you, or the person you know, do to repair or resolve the problem?

I actually do know someone who decided to quit. He was planning on taking the same journey as me, of competing on all 7 cometitions. He quit after the 2nd one. The reason he quit was because he was not winning his competitions when should have won. I saw him onstage both times he commpeted and I could have sworn that he was going to take 1st place, but surprisingly he did not even place!!! I understand his reason for quitting, but luckly, I received 1st place in 4 of my competitions and this was just a motivation boost for me.

thanx for reading and i hope you liked my response,
    Israel
    stats
    17 yrs old
    5'5"
    162 lbs
    11%BF

TRAIN like an animal
    EAT like an animal
    LIVE like an animal

Blink41 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blink41 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blink41 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blink41 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blink41 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blink41 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blink41 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blink41 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blink41 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blink41 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blink41 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Good luck to all of you guys, especially me
    Attached Files
    Carpe Diem

Spaniard00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spaniard00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spaniard00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Motivation

No word could possibly describe the soul of a true bodybuilder more than the word motivation. Motivation is that fire that burns inside you. Motivation is that unquenchable thirst that drives people to greatness. Without motivation you will not get anywhere in bodybuilding or life. People like Arnold, Franco Columbo, Haney, and Bruce Lee had an unshakable will to succeed. They were all destined for greatness because their will gave them the power to do the impossible.

Competition creates more mental and physical anguish than anything I have ever experienced. Motivation can come from just about anywhere. The key to motivation is to think about something or somone you would do anything for. Dedicate your workouts to your grandma that passed away or somone who always helped you out no matter what your problem was. Your workouts and dedication should reach new levels if this person really means something to you. It would also be wise to have a picture of the way you use to look and the way you look now. Transforming your body is one of the core reasons for the bodybuilding lifestyle in the first place. You should also take all the anger and frustration you accumalate and release it in the gym. Who cares if people look at you strange, they don't have your heart or your passion and will most likely fail in their bodybuilding goals. It would also be good to carry a picture of a bodybuilder who you wish to emulate or look like. Another great way to keep motivated is by having a training partner. I don't mean a show boating arrogant fool who goes to the gym for the woman. I mean a true bodybuilder. Somone who lives to lift and is all about business at the gym. Training with somone with incredible drive will do wonders for your motivation and dedication. You must also monitor your progress. Look at your body every 3 weeks. When you see new cuts from your diet you will get that unexplainable rush of joy. It is crucial that you do not look at yourself constantly. Doing so will make you beleive that you are not changing when in reality you are doing a incredible transformation.

I mix up my intensity, splits, diet, and even the exercises. I even mix up what time of the day I train. Go to the gym late at night. Than go in the morning. Variety will keep you from being bored at your workouts and will give you a sense of fun. My cardio would go under radical changes. I would use HIIT cardio, low intensity cardio, swimming, biking and many other forms of cardio every day to enjoy my cardio. It is also wise to listen to different songs on your IPOD or Cd player. There is nothing like that new song you heard and you can't get enough of. It pumps you up the first times you hear it. So get new songs on your player. Do lifts that you really enjoy doing. If you love doing Deadlifts than do deadlifts. If you like doing reverse dips than do them. Try to also do exercises in different ways to make you feel like it is new.

It is very difficult without motivation to diet for 12 weeks or more without going on a massive kitchen rampage. You desire the food so bad until your mouth begins to water. To keep your spirits high you need to mix up your nutrition. Eat different types of carbs, proteins and fats all the time. Instead of eating chicken and rice adleast twice a day. Try some calamari with potatoes. Just because you are on a diet does not mean the food has to be stale and lame. Food can be delicious if you try. Also try changing up meal frequency a little bit. Instead of 3 hours eat an even smaller portion every 2 hours. You can also take all the foods you eat on a regular basis and put on some olive oil, lemon, garlic and many other things to keep it tasting good and healthy. Now instead of having a cheat meal I would eat something I liked once a week like a cookie, burger or something that you can find an alternative way of making very healthy. If your mind thinks you have cheated than you will be satisfied and will work even harder to get in better shape cause you think you cheated. If I get hungry or am frustrated I would eat ice or chew on some sugar free gum. It would keep me feeling full.

My friend Bam Bam had all the dedication and discipline in the world. He went through his diet and cut the last 12 lbs of fat with a 14 week diet. This kid was so mentally strong nothing ever fazed him. He trained for 6 years without steroids and gained a little over 43 pounds of solid muscle. He rarely partyed or anything but stayed at home reading bodybuilding articles. I mean he beleived that getting second place was absolute failure and meant everything he did was worthless. He went to all the natural local competitons in the Ohio, New York area. He received first place in all 5 events. Than just a few months ago he went to his 6th natural competition. However, there was a guy with simply more size and cuts. The guy was 21 and was so ridiculously massive and cut I couldn't beleive what I was looking at. My friend new he lost when he first layed eyes on him. After the competition my friend received second place and was a little sad. Than the guy who placed first told my friend that this was only his second year working out. They became friends and a few weeks after the competiton the guy went on and started bragging to Bam Bam on how he switched the cups with his friends urine and has finished his cycle of Superdrol the day before the competiton ended. Needless to say my friend was completely devastated. He felt like all the years of work he did went to nothing because some guy cheated and used steroids in an all natural competition. He was depressed and stopped working out altogether for 2 months. I would call him to workout all the time and he would refuse to go. Than one day a few weeks later he came to the gym and I could not beleive my eyes. He walked up to me and told me "The only person you should compete with is yourself". He went on and talked about how he has no control over the actions of others and said he became a bodybuilder only to do the best he can do and nothing else. You need to remember to never get down on yourself no matter what happens. No matter how dark the situation is there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.

Spaniard00
    Hope you enjoyed it......

buffguy900 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Admin, please email me if you need anything else. Thanks!
    Attached Files

rockinmoroccan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rockinmoroccan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rockinmoroccan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rockinmoroccan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rockinmoroccan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rockinmoroccan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rockinmoroccan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rockinmoroccan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rockinmoroccan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rockinmoroccan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rockinmoroccan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good luck everyone!
    Attached Files

That Man is a Machine BurningHeart's Avatar
    BurningHeart is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BurningHeart is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BurningHeart is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BurningHeart is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BurningHeart is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BurningHeart is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BurningHeart is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BurningHeart is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BurningHeart is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BurningHeart is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BurningHeart is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Here's mine
    Attached Files
    Author of "The Stock Market Outsider," Writer for TheStreet; Entrepreneur.