Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up P/RR/S Training....Solid Program!!!

I have been using this program for awhile with great results. Admittedly, I have tweaked it a bit to compliment my personal style of lifting, but have to say it is truly outstanding for any bodybuilder. Please read and let me know what you guys think. I have to give full credit to www.prrstraining.com for this training philosophy and highly recommend it to everyone serious about being a physique athlete. This is not for beginners.

Originally Posted by bodyfx2
    POWER...REP RANGE...SHOCK
    Time to Grow Without Plateau

For those of you out there that have been training for more than a couple of years, I’d like you to take a little trip down memory lane with me...Remember back in the beginning, when you first started training, when new muscle and more power came almost every week? When the main goal at every training session was simply to add more weight to the bar and get it from point A to B in any way possible. When every night you would hop on the scale after the last meal of the night (of course when you would be at your heaviest for the day) and be thrilled to see that you weighed a lb more than the night before. When all you had to do to gain muscle was to eat more, train more, sleep more, and abracadabra, alacazam, presto...there was more, of YOU!!

Ahhh, those were good times, weren’t they? But as all intermediate to advanced bodybuilders know...all good things come to an end. After about the first year of training, gains begin to slow down, weights don’t climb quite as easily, and the scale doesn’t budge like it once did. Despite your best efforts in the gym, pounding away on the same exercises for the same range of reps on the same days, nothing seems to be happening anymore. What’s the deal?

The fist thing you must understand is that muscles are not just a lumps of tissue. Muscles are extremely complex structures, that like onions, have many layers that need to be peeled before reaching the core. So, without turning this into a class in anatomy and physiology, let’s just take a quick and basic look inside these molehills we all wish to turn into mountains...our muscles.

Muscle is composed of bundles of muscle fibers also known as myofibers. Each fiber contains myofibrils, which themselves are composed of small bundles of myofilaments. The myofilaments are made up of two proteins, known as actin and myosin, and are the elements of muscle that actually shorten upon contraction.. The actin and myosin function within the sarcomere to produce these contractions. The sarcomere is the smallest functional unit within muscle.

In general there are three distinct fiber types found in skeletal muscle. These three include: Type I, also known as slow-twitch or red fibers; Type IIA, and IIB, also known collectively as fast-twitch or white fibers.Type I are the slowest, smallest, and have the highest level of endurance of all the fibers. They are most active in slow movements and long-term aerobic activities, and take a long time to fatigue. Next come the Type IIA and the Type IIB fibers, which are the fastest, largest, and least endurance oriented in the group. They are most active in short-term quick-burst or power activities. They are powered entirely through the anaerobic (without oxygen) system, and contract nearly twice as fast as slow twitch fibers, but fatigue much more rapidly. It is important to remember, however, that within our muscles there also lies “intermediate” fiber types that show both high oxidative and fast-twitch characteristics.

As you contract a muscle, each fiber type is recruited in a specific order. The smallest (lowest threshold) fibers, the Type I, are recruited first. As the speed or force of contraction is increased, you will sequentially recruit the intermediate fibers, and then the Type IIA and IIB muscle fibers. However, to recruit the Type IIB fibers it may take over 90% of a maximal contraction!

All people are born with these muscle fiber types. Most muscles contain almost an even split of these basic slow (Type I) and fast (Type II) fibers, with of course intermediate fibers that lie along the continuum between them. There is of course some genetic variation between different muscles, and from individual to individual. Some people are “born” to run marathons (slow-twitch dominant), while others are born to run sprints (fast-twitch dominant...and very lucky if they want to be a bodybuilder).

Although it is the Type II fibers that have the greatest potential for hypertrophy, in order to obtain maximal muscle size, it is imperative that we regularly train ALL of our muscle fibers. Why limit ourselves to only maximizing the potential of a portion of our fibers? Doesn’t it make sense that in order to come as close as possible to our genetic limits that we strive to “get at” every last fiber in each of our muscles? Of course! In addition, muscles also become larger due to other adaptions to training aside from actual fiber hypertrophy. Enhanced muscle size also occurs by way of increases in mitochondrial enzymes, increases in stored ATP and phosphocreatine, increases in stored glycogen and triglyceride, and also from the laying down of additional capillary beds.

So now the question is... “How do we go about successfully working all of our muscle fibers as well as stimulating all of the other pathways associated with maximum muscle hypertrophy?” The answer can be summed up in one simple word...VARIATION! After you have laid a foundation in your first couple of years of lifting weights, it is time to start to vary your training. Too many misguided trainees use the same exercises, in the same order, with the same rep tempo, rest between sets, training techniques, and rep ranges...day after day...week after week...and month after month! You must understand that the human body is an incredibly adaptable machine and thus will quickly cease to respond to stimuli that it is exposed to time and again. Do you know what one of the biggest roadblocks to progress, in anything that we do, is? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result! That’s just plain craziness!

Now that I (hopefully) have you convinced that variation is your friend, your question to me probably is, “Ok hotshot...sounds good, but how do I go about this?” The answer lies in something called P/RR/S, which is short for POWER, REP RANGE, SHOCK. “Cool name...but what the heck is it?” Another fine question! It is a method of cycling workouts that I developed after lifting weights for more than a dozen years, utilizing every training technique and program I had ever seen, or read about, along the way. In those 12 + years of training I had gone from a 125 lb weakling, who could barely bench press the 45 lb bar, to a 225 lb title winning bodybuilder that could bench press 400 + lbs...all without the aid of drugs. However, although I had done nicely, adding about 100 lbs to my frame, I still wanted more, but was not getting it. I had hit a wall and could not climb over it, or go around it. This forced me to examine everything I was doing in order to come up with a new plan of attack. I felt my diet and supplementation were solid, so I began focusing more on my training. Over the course of several months I slowly developed a program that had me gaining again, and before I knew it, I was up to 250 lbs, and feeling stronger than ever! The reason I named this program POWER, REP RANGE, SHOCK will be apparent in just a moment, but I must tell you that I can honestly say that I have seen more consistent progress using this system than on another other I have ever tried. I have used P/RR/S for four straight years now and I am continually getting bigger and better. Of course, the system has continued to metamorphosize along the way as I continually tweak it in order to make it even more efficient at stimulating hypertrophy. In fact, I have developed several “hybrid” P/RR/S programs to fit the unique needs of different trainees, based on goals and level of experience. But I am getting ahead of myself. What I would like to present to you at this time is the basic P/RR/S plan, so that you can get an idea what this is all about.

So, ready to grow? Read on...
    Last edited by deserusan; 08-03-2006 at 12:53 AM.
    "I just use my muscles as a conversation piece, like someone walking a cheetah down 42nd Street." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Heretic....

deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    continued............

Originally Posted by bodyfx2
    Week 1: POWER

The goal during POWER week is to make a direct attack on the Type II A and II B muscle fibers, with an emphasis on the II B’s. These are the higher threshold fibers and the way we get at them is with heavy weights. The goal for this week is to utilize weights that allow for 4-6 reps to failure. The way in which you perform your reps is of great importance during POWER week. I have found that an eccentric (negative) contraction of about 4 seconds followed immediately by an explosive concentric (positive) contraction works best at nailing those fast-twitch fibers. Remember...even though you will be attempting to explode with the weight during the positive portion of the rep, it will not move very quickly at all due to the heavy load you are lifting. Rest between sets is also very important. Since you want to be able to lift as heavy as possible during POWER week, you will be resting about 4-5 minutes between sets in order to fully regenerate ATP and creatine phosphate stores in the muscle cells. As far as the exercises go, choose those that are basic or compound in nature. These include movements like bench presses, squats, deadlifts, military presses and bent rows. POWER week workouts will not impart a tremendous pump, but rather will make your muscles feel as if they’ve been smashed with a wrecking ball.

Rep Goal: 4-6
    Rest Between Sets: 4-5 minutes
    Lifting Tempo: 4/0/X
    Exercises: Mostly compound

Here is an example of a typical POWER workout for chest:

1-Bench Press: 4 x 4-6
    2-Incline Dumbell Press: 3 x 4-6
    3-Weighted Dips: 2-3 x 4-6

Week 2: REP RANGE

As I mentioned earlier there are several fiber types that lie along the continuum between Type I and Type II muscle fibers. The goal of REP RANGE week is to show these “intermediary” fibers no mercy! We will accomplish this by using three distinct rep ranges (hence the name of this week) for three separate exercises for each body part. The first exercise will be to failure in the 7-9 rep range. The second will be to failure in the 10-12 rep range. The final exercise will be to failure in the 13-15 rep range.
    In order to make the stimulus this week even more unique from the POWER week, you will also change your rep tempo. Both the eccentric and concentric portion of each rep should take 2 seconds to complete, while the mid-point of the movement (isometric contraction) should be held for one full second. Additionally, if you happen to be using a movement that contains a strong “peak contraction effect,” such as leg extensions, you are also encouraged to hold this portion of the rep for one full second before you begin the eccentric portion of the rep. The exercises used this week should be both compound and isolation in nature, with free weights, machines and cables all being fair game. One particularly effective approach is to choose a free weight compound movement for the 7-9 rep range; a free weight isolation movement for the 10-12 rep range; and a machine or cable movement for the 13-15 rep range. Of course, you are encouraged to experiment a bit to get an idea of what feels most effective to you. Rest between sets during REP RANGE week will be 2-3 minutes. You can expect a tremendous pump from REP RANGE week workouts, and some deep muscle soreness in the days that follow...but we love that kind of pain, don’t we!

Rep Goal: 7-9, 10-12, 13-15
    Rest Between Sets: 2-3 minutes
    Lifting Tempo: 2/1/2/1***
    Exercises: Compound, Isolation, Machine or Cable

***1 second hold at peak for certain exercises

Here is an example for a typical REP RANGE workout for shoulders:

1-Military Press: 4 x 7-9
    2-Seated Side Lateral: 3 x 10-12
    3-Reverse Pec Deck Flye: 2 x 13-15

Week 3: SHOCK

In my opinion, SHOCK week is the most intense and excruciating portion of this routine. It will without a doubt test your ability to withstand pain, fend off nausea, and fight back the tears! SHOCK week separates the men from the boys, the freaks from the fakes! The goal during this week is complete and utter annihilation of every fiber, from slow-twitch, right on down to the fast-twitch Type II A’s; to force your body to release natural GH like water from a collapsed damn; and to literally “force” your muscles to grow in a “do or die” like fashion! Each grueling session during shock week contains 2 different types of supersets and a punishing dropset for each major bodypart. The first superset will be performed in what is known as “pre-exhaust” fashion. This means that an isolation movement will be performed first, with a compound movement immediately after. The second superset will be what as known as “post activation,” made famous by Ironman contributing author Michael Gundill. In post activation supersets, it is the compound movement that proceeds the isolation movement. Each of these supersets provides a unique stimulus for both your muscles and nervous system. Once you have completed your supersets it is time for a dropset, which will complete the torture that you will impart on your muscles during SHOCK week. Reps for each exercise will be in the range of 8-10, and the tempo will become more rhythmic in nature. An eccentric contraction of just one second will be followed immediately by a concentric contraction of the same speed. There will be no resting (as long as you can handle it) at the top or bottom, as each rep should be performed in a “piston-like” fashion. Rest between sets should be long enough to allow you to catch your breath fully, as well as to prepare your mind for the next onslaught. Your individual level of cardiovascular conditioning, as well as your constitution, will determine the length of your rest. Free weights, cables, and machines are all utilized during SHOCK week. My warning to you is that you better be prepared when you enter the gym on SHOCK week, because every workout will leave you breathing with the intensity of a steam engine and a burn that will reach your very core! Fun!

Rep Goal: 8-10 (dropset is 8-10, drop, 6-
    Rest Between Sets: cardiovascular and mental recovery
    Lifting Tempo: 1/0/1
    Exercises: Compound, Isolation, Machine or Cable

Here is a typical SHOCK workout for triceps:

1-Superset: Rope Pressdown/Lying Extension: 2 x 8-10 each
    2-Superset: CG Bench Press/Underhand Grip Pressdown: 2 x 8-10 each
    3-Dropset: Single Arm Overhead Dumbell Extension: 1 x 8-10, drop, 6-8

After you have completed the 3 week POWER, REP RANGE, SHOCK cycle, return to the beginning and repeat. With each cycle do your best to increase the weights you lift and/or the reps you achieve. After three full cycles I recommend that you take off one full week from the gym before returning to the program. After your break, you might want to switch up some or all of the exercises that you used in the cycle proceeding.

I would like to mention that the P/RR/S program that I presented in this article is not meant for beginners (although in a future article I will explain how those with less experience can begin to employ my system, as well as how more advanced lifters can work with an even more intense version). You can begin to use the program as presented here, after about two solid years in the gym.

So, if you have been training for some time, are stuck in a rut, or are looking to take your physique to the next level, POWER, REP RANGE, SHOCK training may just be your first class ticket to “FREAKVILLE!” Enjoy the ride my friends.
    "I just use my muscles as a conversation piece, like someone walking a cheetah down 42nd Street." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Heretic....

shamrockbear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

sorry dude your confusing the crowds

IMO your complicating something simple why would you not just stick to

6-8 reps 8-10 sets 2 min rest for power for larger compound movement and then switch to
    12-15 reps 8-10 sets 90 sec rest for more 60-80% of weight 8-10 sets
    smaller muscle groups you can do less sets if you like

both hitting the muscle groups 2 times a week

This technically would be more effective and cycle it on and off every week this would keep the body guessing and would not confuse people.

Your theory is technically flawed if you only want to recruit short fibers that are going to build size if you want to be a marathon racer you would train those longer fibers sorry shorter fibers is what you want few people can actually have both.

Originally Posted by shamrockbear
    IMO your complicating something simple why would you not just stick to

6-8 reps 8-10 sets 2 min rest for power for larger compound movement and then switch to
    12-15 reps 8-10 sets 90 sec rest for more 60-80% of weight 8-10 sets
    smaller muscle groups you can do less sets if you like

both hitting the muscle groups 2 times a week

This technically would be more effective and cycle it on and off every week this would keep the body guessing and would not confuse people.

Your theory is technically flawed if you only want to recruit short fibers that are going to build size if you want to be a marathon racer you would train those longer fibers sorry shorter fibers is what you want few people can actually have both.
    I suggest you actually read the whole article please. You cannot claim a theory is flawed if it indeed works when applied. This is for not "marathon racers" and why I prefaced the post with stating this is for bodybuilders. Should I define what a bodybuilder is so there is not confusion?

Originally Posted by deserusan
    Definition of bodybuilder:

Someone who uses diet and physical training to acheive an optimal physique. Characteristics of this physique include extremely low bodyfat and well defined volumnous muscles.

Definition of an athlete:

Someone who uses diet and physical training to acheive optimal physical performance. Characteristics of optimal physical peformance include maximal sustained power output and increased recovery between bouts of maximal power output.
    Last edited by deserusan; 08-03-2006 at 01:16 AM.

Heretic....

bmk4476 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bmk4476 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bmk4476 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bmk4476 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bmk4476 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bmk4476 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bmk4476 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bmk4476 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bmk4476 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bmk4476 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bmk4476 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    D, what kind of split are you using with this. It looks very interesting.

JRX is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRX is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRX is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRX is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRX is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRX is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRX is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRX is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRX is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRX is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRX is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Looks a bit like HSS-100 by CT. Damn solid looking program, hes onto something here.

TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This is exactly the kind of stuff that produces long term results! Too many people become involved with stagnant routines. They think that you have to have the perfect "split" and think nothing about varying loads from week to week. I made up a program very similar to this, although it was month-by-month instead of week by week in the manner this program is. Here it is if anyone wants to read it.

One suggestion that I would make, deserusan, is to incorporate Dual Factor into this program. Treat the first 3 weeks as a load phase, and the 4th week as a deload phase. This takes advantage of Delayed Adaptation.

By the end of your non-stop three months on this program the way the author reccommends it, you're not going to be producing as many results as you did at the beginning. You will actually make gains faster if you take a deload week. So, it would be:
    Power, Rep Range, Shock, Deload

This gives your muscles and nervous system a rest after that intense shock week.
    Last edited by TRDE59; 08-03-2006 at 10:00 AM.
    Your weakness, whatever it may be, is all in your mind. So is your strength.

"Only in America can you get famous just by changing from being a big fat ass to not being a big fat ass."

-Stan from South Park, on Jared Fogle

sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thank you deserusan for putting up this thread. I am sincerely happy that my program is producing results for you. When I introduced this program on the web several years ago I had no idea it would grow to the point it has.

P/RR/S has featured areas on about half dozen websites, and has been written about several times in both Ironman and Musclemag International. There is also a new book coming out called BUILDING THE PERFECT BEAST...NATURALLY, co-written by Author L Rea and myself, that has a huge discussion on P/RR/S training.

There are thousands of people using my program all over the world, and I get emails daily stating how amazingly well it works for everyone.

As a trainer/strength coach for many years it makes me extremely satisfied to know that something I developed is working so well for people everywhere that I am not even working with personally.

And I am sincerely thankful about all the nice feedback I get. The more people I can help reach their goals, the better.

Thanks again deserusan for asking me whether you could put this thread up. If it helps a couple of people, then it is worth it.
    *CEO B Built International
    *Head of Social Media/Online Marketing/PR @ All American Pharmaceutical
    *Columnist for Iron Man, Natural Muscle and Muscleandfitness.com
    *Creator of the P/RR/S, FDF/FS and O-BEY-6 Training Systems
    *Trainer/Prep Coach to Athletes Globally

"Limits can be discussed, but in no way need be obeyed."

Location: On the Ho Chi Min Trail Sippin on a 40oz of Old English 800, Vietnam
    MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think I am leaving the 5x5 for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not

what happened to just getting under the squat bar with about 280 and doing reps or getting under the bench and loading it with plates? Or doing deadlifts?
    Death is winning. Do something.- Sam Boyd

sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MISSINGLINK
    I think I am leaving the 5x5 for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not

what happened to just getting under the squat bar with about 280 and doing reps or getting under the bench and loading it with plates? Or doing deadlifts?
    Ummm, nobody is stopping you from doing that with P/RR/S. But anyway, hey, if 5 X 5 is producing results for you, then by all means, stick to it!

The bottom line is that if a program works for you then by all means stick with it. I did 5 x 5 the first four years of my 12 years of training. This programs seems very suitable for any intermediate to advanced bodybuilder.

Heretic....

The bottom line is that if a program works for you then by all means stick with it. I did 5 x 5 the first four years of my 12 years of training. This programs seems very suitable for any intermediate to advanced bodybuilder.
    Of course if something is working well for you, then "don't fix what ain't broke." But if your gains have halted, and/or you are finding your training monotonous, then P/RR/S might be for you.

I have been on it for the past 7 years non-stop.

Note: There is also a version with even more advanced techniques for long time PRRS users and extremely advanced lifters.

NutraTroy will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutraTroy will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutraTroy will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutraTroy will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutraTroy will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutraTroy will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutraTroy will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutraTroy will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutraTroy will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutraTroy will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutraTroy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just saying thanks for taking me on for my comeback! I know I am a project, but only you can take em there.

Holla'!!
    Gaspari Rep

Originally Posted by NutraTroy
    Just saying thanks for taking me on for my comeback! I know I am a project, but only you can take em there.

Holla'!!
    In 2007 nobody will stand in your way! You will come home with major hardware from both shows and show everyone that at age 40 you are just getting started!

kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    a few questions....this is very interesting stuff. one of the reasons I've been drawn to Westside and Conjugated periodization is the idea that you get stronger across several different rep ranges. Looks like PRRS incorporates that.

So now, my questions

1) Pre-exhaust - I hate typical pre-exhaust, i.e. "do a set of flyes, then a set of presses"...Is this included to give the joints a break?

2) drop set - ever incorporate rest/pause instead of the drop set in there?

Interesting stuff overall...

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I might could agree on the first 2 phases....they look pretty standard....but im sorry, im not going to pre-exhaust and drop set yada yada.....id feel like i was having flashbacks to when I had 14.5" arms
    "Humility comes before honor"

Originally Posted by John Prophet
    I might could agree on the first 2 phases....they look pretty standard....but im sorry, im not going to pre-exhaust and drop set yada yada.....id feel like i was having flashbacks to when I had 14.5" arms
    Are you saying that dropsets and pre-exhaust supersets do not help produce large muscles?

Originally Posted by kethnaab
    a few questions....this is very interesting stuff. one of the reasons I've been drawn to Westside and Conjugated periodization is the idea that you get stronger across several different rep ranges. Looks like PRRS incorporates that.

So now, my questions

1) Pre-exhaust - I hate typical pre-exhaust, i.e. "do a set of flyes, then a set of presses"...Is this included to give the joints a break?

2) drop set - ever incorporate rest/pause instead of the drop set in there?

Interesting stuff overall...
    1) No, its included because its an effective growth producing technique...as is post activation supersets (compound, then isolation).

2) Yes, rest pause is incorporated as part of Advanced PRRS training.

Thanks for your comments!

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    wellll, lets put it this way......just going by empirical observation, the guys I see doing them for the most part arent getting anywhere...of course I know the average gym rat I refer to doesnt eat right and there is NOTHING methodical about their training at all.........so it may be possible to use drop sets and pre-exhaust in soem systematic way to make gains

but...

I am also now strongly influenced by the strength and athletic world (read---> Russian Oly athletes, lol).....so my current mindset is far removed from "pre-exhaust" training......I cant think of ever hearing ANY athlete or coach refer to pre-exhaust......pre-exhaust was an invention of Bob Kennedy, a magazine writer

if it works in this program...then its good for this program.....but outside of sarcoplasmic hypertrophy I cant see it being too useful.....but, who knows

like I said, when I used it way back when, I got nowhere...though of course I realize my overall training methodology sucked
    "Humility comes before honor"

TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well I read everything, and what struck me as obvious was the you won't gain if you always do the same...

I use rep ranges from 20 to 1, and my volume is just as extreme

It sometimes look like I'm f-ing around, but it's all part of the greater plan :P

I work my volume up from nothing like 1 working set of 3 reps, to 5 working sets of 20 reps if I want to (I'm not bound to anything)...

And offcourse you need to vary in exercises, but don't go overboard with it...
    For example squat; full squat/powersquat/frontsquat/overheadsquat, you can also mess around wth your stance ect...

Just experimenting with the parameters...

This is a something refreshing to see though

Originally Posted by John Prophet
    wellll, lets put it this way......just going by empirical observation, the guys I see doing them for the most part arent getting anywhere...of course I know the average gym rat I refer to doesnt eat right and there is NOTHING methodical about their training at all.........so it may be possible to use drop sets and pre-exhaust in soem systematic way to make gains

but...

I am also now strongly influenced by the strength and athletic world (read---> Russian Oly athletes, lol).....so my current mindset is far removed from "pre-exhaust" training......I cant think of ever hearing ANY athlete or coach refer to pre-exhaust......pre-exhaust was an invention of Bob Kennedy, a magazine writer

if it works in this program...then its good for this program.....but outside of sarcoplasmic hypertrophy I cant see it being too useful.....but, who knows

like I said, when I used it way back when, I got nowhere...though of course I realize my overall training methodology sucked
    Well, you have pretty much hit the nail on the head...you do not create a system based soley AROUND pre-exhaustion, dropsets, or any other intensity technique, but incorporate it into a much larger philosophy, as I have done with P/RR/S. And the results with thousands of users speak for themselves.

Originally Posted by sixthsense
    Well, you have pretty much hit the nail on the head...you do not create a system based soley AROUND pre-exhaustion, dropsets, or any other intensity technique, but incorporate it into a much larger philosophy, as I have done with P/RR/S. And the results with thousands of users speak for themselves.
    Definately! I've been on this program for awhile and it rocks! It's for serious bodybuilders though not typical gym rats or the bi's and chest crowd!

Heretic....

Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    its a good program. lots of ppl over at musclemayhem do it

im on DC, but i see some similarities....its a good program though...both dc and this..

why am i brning dc into this? **** it...

im just saying this program is good. ive seen ppls results on it.

Andalite

Originally Posted by Andalite

im on DC, but i see some similarities....its a good program though...both dc and this..

Andalite
    You could incorporate DC methods into the power week. I do on occasion.

Heretic....

Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You could incorporate DC methods into the power week. I do on occasion.
    i know...just didnt want to bring it up coz it might start a flame war lol

like i said: its a good program. so good that if i wasnt on dc id be on this instead.

wait, my top 3 programs as of now are:
    1.) DC
    2.) HST
    3.) P/PR/S

peace

Andalite

i know...just didnt want to bring it up coz it might start a flame war lol

like i said: its a good program. so good that if i wasnt on dc id be on this instead.

wait, my top 3 programs as of now are:
    1.) DC
    2.) HST
    3.) P/PR/S

peace

Andalite
    That's the beauty of P/RR/S/. You can add elements of other styles in . As far as a flame war goes I'm not to worried about most of the faceless people in this section. I see a bunch of talking most of the time when I'd rather be walking if you know what I mean.

Heretic....

Andalite
    Dante is a friend of mine, and yes, his program is awesome and result producing. I have the utmost respect for him and his ideas. Many people DO actually switch off between 6-9 weeks of P/RR/S and DC.

And yes, the rest/pause principle is one that I WILL have advanced trainees incorporate into POWER week.

Genetically Gifted Big Daddy Shane's Avatar
    Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000)
    Does each muscle get hit only once a week?

kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    i can easily see how post-activation supersets would work like a charm. Never had success with pre-exhaust though.

I can DEFINITELY see how this would work well with DC...the higher volume of PRRS alternated with the lower volume of DC would be pretty cool.

Interesting indeed..I'd be very interested to see a basic week (or two's) layout.

Originally Posted by kethnaab
    i can easily see how post-activation supersets would work like a charm. Never had success with pre-exhaust though.

I can DEFINITELY see how this would work well with DC...the higher volume of PRRS alternated with the lower volume of DC would be pretty cool.

Interesting indeed..I'd be very interested to see a basic week (or two's) layout.
    Sixthsense could better explain that. I'm following the general principles more than an actual program per se. I'm sure he would be more than happy to post something up.

Heretic....