Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 154
  1. #31
    Broscience > Studies Al Shades's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2004
    Location: United States
    Posts: 6,726
    Rep Power: 6259
    Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Al Shades is offline
    Originally Posted by SleepLifter
    wow..someones feeling a little viscous today. haha

    personally i dont feel like this is a pain game. go eat your damn cookie on your bodybuilding regimen that you enjoy...then step onstage next to me.

    There is no substitution for hard work and consistent eating when your getting ready for a show....sometimes sacrifices have to be made...and thats not a problem for me
    I don't eat cookies. I said I was a serious bodybuilder, and I wasn't kidding. I'd wager that my diet is cleaner and healthier than yours. I could step on stage next week.

  2. #32
    Registered User Pumping1ron's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2006
    Age: 36
    Posts: 58
    Rep Power: 179
    Pumping1ron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pumping1ron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pumping1ron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pumping1ron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pumping1ron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pumping1ron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Pumping1ron is offline

    Question

    Originally Posted by Al Shades
    I wasn't offended, I was amused. Amused, as I always am, by these bodybuilding stories, which always seem to run, "my life is a living hell, normal people don't understand me, blah blah".

    The fact is, some of you people were either born with or have adopted masochistic mind frames that put you in the same category as BDSM fetishists. "Normal" people may not have the willpower to do what you do, but that doesn't make you any less screwed up.

    There's no reason why you have to practically kill yourself in order to look good. In fact, the process is self-defeating, and it WILL catch up to you eventually, either mentally or physically.

    You're not heroes, more like lunatics. You blindly follow a certain paradigm that was handed down to you by others. Who is forcing you to have an off and on season? Who is forcing you to cut carbs, or water deplete, before competition? Nobody is. You take these things for granted and force yourself to do them because you lack the mental capacity to figure out a better way for yourself.

    If I saw some of you people I would point and laugh, too, and I'm every bit a serious bodybuilder. The difference is, I'm not a masochist. Long ago, I identified enjoyable and maintainable habbits that would contribute to a healthy, fit lifestyle. Because I enjoy these habbits, rather than dreading them, I'm in no danger of "falling off the wagon" -- ever.

    All of you will eventually get tired of your little pain-game and give it up, reverting to a more conventional lifestyle. You'll get soft and your gains will slowly fade away. That won't happen to me, because I took the time to create a bodybuilding regimen that I actually enjoy.

    You really have to be a retard to do some of the things I read about on this site. It's no wonder why people talk and stare. You're not right in the head.
    um what dude...
    Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body...So Go Hard Or Go Home...

  3. #33
    Broscience > Studies Al Shades's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2004
    Location: United States
    Posts: 6,726
    Rep Power: 6259
    Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Al Shades is offline
    What? Canned tuna.

  4. #34
    Registered User XTRMEWJ's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Des Moines, IA
    Age: 40
    Posts: 657
    Rep Power: 225
    XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    XTRMEWJ is offline
    Its not so much about people understanding what we do or even that we care if they do. I think we are all just saying that its nice to be able to relate to others around here and share war stories. We all readily accept the fact that we are indeed cut from a different cloth than everyone else and I would not have it any other way. Normal is boring. The thought of mediocrity is my biggest fear and if I have to be a masochist to achieve my goals so be it...the bodybuilding lifestyle is the champions wife.

    Sean
    B.S. Exercise Science, Philosophy, Creighton University 2003

    CSCS, NSCA-CPT

    Member of TEAM KLEMCZEWSKI
    www.thedietdoc.com

    "His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.Ē

    -President Theodore Roosevelt

  5. #35
    Banned Hulk7280's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Age: 39
    Posts: 377
    Rep Power: 0
    Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hulk7280 is offline
    Originally Posted by Al Shades
    I don't eat cookies. I said I was a serious bodybuilder, and I wasn't kidding. I'd wager that my diet is cleaner and healthier than yours. I could step on stage next week.
    post a pic tough guy

  6. #36
    has a wealth of knowledge BB is 4 life :)'s Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2001
    Posts: 5,177
    Rep Power: 526
    BB is 4 life :) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BB is 4 life :) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BB is 4 life :) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BB is 4 life :) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BB is 4 life :) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BB is 4 life :) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BB is 4 life :) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BB is 4 life :) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BB is 4 life :) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BB is 4 life :) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BB is 4 life :) has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    BB is 4 life :) is offline
    Originally Posted by Al Shades
    I don't eat cookies. I said I was a serious bodybuilder, and I wasn't kidding. I'd wager that my diet is cleaner and healthier than yours. I could step on stage next week.

    By saying that you've just claimed to be in contest condition....all you need to do is drop your water and you'd be stage ready. BS!!!!

  7. #37
    Registered User XTRMEWJ's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Des Moines, IA
    Age: 40
    Posts: 657
    Rep Power: 225
    XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    XTRMEWJ is offline
    agreed. People can not hold sub 4% fat year round...and even if you could, you sure as hell would not be making any gains in the gym.

    Sean
    B.S. Exercise Science, Philosophy, Creighton University 2003

    CSCS, NSCA-CPT

    Member of TEAM KLEMCZEWSKI
    www.thedietdoc.com

    "His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.Ē

    -President Theodore Roosevelt

  8. #38
    Goin' Pro! SleepLifter's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Age: 32
    Posts: 1,102
    Rep Power: 254
    SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    SleepLifter is offline
    Originally Posted by XTRMEWJ
    agreed. People can not hold sub 4% fat year round...and even if you could, you sure as hell would not be making any gains in the gym.

    Sean
    HEY! i could step on stage next week too...my
    trunks just wouldnt fit!

    -sleep

  9. #39
    Banned Hulk7280's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Age: 39
    Posts: 377
    Rep Power: 0
    Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hulk7280 is offline
    how much do u want to bet this guy;s excuse for not posting a pic is because he has nothing to prove..

  10. #40
    The D Agostage's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Posts: 2,454
    Rep Power: 464
    Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Agostage is offline
    I think he may just be outnumbered on this argument. However, the rest of the thread has been real helpful and inspirational. Thanks again for sharing.

    Ago
    Founder of the University of Wisconsin Bodybuilding Club

    2011 Prep Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131369463

    "Well, you either want this... or you don't" ~LN

  11. #41
    Broscience > Studies Al Shades's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2004
    Location: United States
    Posts: 6,726
    Rep Power: 6259
    Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Al Shades is offline
    Originally Posted by XTRMEWJ
    Its not so much about people understanding what we do or even that we care if they do. I think we are all just saying that its nice to be able to relate to others around here and share war stories. We all readily accept the fact that we are indeed cut from a different cloth than everyone else and I would not have it any other way. Normal is boring. The thought of mediocrity is my biggest fear and if I have to be a masochist to achieve my goals so be it...the bodybuilding lifestyle is the champions wife.
    I don't think you're above mediocrity, you're just a different breed of it than the norm. Some people have stamp collections, others collect model airplanes. You bodybuild. The fact that you pursue this lifestyle doesn't make you automatically superior to others with different interests. You know what's boring? The "cutting/bulking" paradigm that every idiot in bodybuilding follows like gospel. That's "normal", as far as this sport is concerned. That's mundane. Being better than normal means being different in your own right, better than others in your own hobby of choice.

    Originally Posted by XTRMEWJ
    agreed. People can not hold sub 4% fat year round...and even if you could, you sure as hell would not be making any gains in the gym.
    I never signed any contract that mandated that BB'ers have to be at 4% in order to step on stage. If I wanted to get to 4, I could do it, but it's not necessary. If anything, I'd go on a caloric surplus before competition. Not that I'll ever compete.

    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attach...6&d=1140582440

    This pic is from Jan 2006. I've improved in many aspects since then.

    Originally Posted by BB is 4 life :)
    By saying that you've just claimed to be in contest condition....all you need to do is drop your water and you'd be stage ready. BS!!!!
    Why bother dropping water? I know what it takes to look good in the gym, and I don't drop water to do it. The stage is no different than the gym. There's no reason to bother will all this fancy **** unless you're a pro athlete in the sport.
    Last edited by Al Shades; 07-31-2006 at 12:50 AM.

  12. #42
    Registered User TJ Moray's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2006
    Location: South Devon UK
    Age: 42
    Posts: 100
    Rep Power: 0
    TJ Moray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TJ Moray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TJ Moray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TJ Moray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TJ Moray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TJ Moray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TJ Moray has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    TJ Moray is offline
    Originally Posted by -zer0-
    I know exactly what you mean and can relate. Those people don't know what pure dedication is. It's best not to share anything related about your body building lifestyle to them, because in their point of view it doesn't seem significant. When my friends see me chugging down a protein shake, they ask me a couple of questions and why, and some of them are quite stupid. I just tell them it tastes good, then discontinue the conversation on the subject. And some ask why I bodybuild so intensily. I just tell them its a hobby and like the feeling I get after a workout. Why share something with someone that's not interested. Filling their ignorance about body building is not going to change much nor is it any beneficial to you. Just go on about your bb lifestyle and don't take what others say seriously, since that person is just ignorant and can't see in your point of view.
    Great Post, I am slowly learning that this is by far the best approach when dealing with "supposed" interest from friends and family!!

  13. #43
    Registered User JoelsRipped's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2004
    Location: Louisville, KY
    Age: 31
    Posts: 319
    Rep Power: 0
    JoelsRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    JoelsRipped is offline
    Originally Posted by Al Shades
    I don't think you're above mediocrity, you're just a different breed of it than the norm. Some people have stamp collections, others collect model airplanes. You bodybuild. The fact that you pursue this lifestyle doesn't make you automatically superior to others with different interests. You know what's boring? The "cutting/bulking" paradigm that every idiot in bodybuilding follows like gospel. That's "normal", as far as this sport is concerned. That's mundane. Being better than normal means being different in your own right, better than others in your own hobby of choice.



    I never signed any contract that mandated that BB'ers have to be at 4% in order to step on stage. If I wanted to get to 4, I could do it, but it's not necessary. If anything, I'd go on a caloric surplus before competition. Not that I'll ever compete.

    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attach...6&d=1140582440

    This pic is from Jan 2006. I've improved in many aspects since then.



    Why bother dropping water? I know what it takes to look good in the gym, and I don't drop water to do it. The stage is no different than the gym. There's no reason to bother will all this fancy **** unless you're a pro athlete in the sport.

    HAHAHAHA wow dude you talk to much and you cant back anything up. I dont care if that pic is from 1 year ago or 1 week ago. Your the kinda person that lifts weights, no regimented routines, no diet, just lifts and acts tuff. You should really reconsider your signature too. Your picture speaks for itself.

    And you talkin about theres no reason to drop water unless your a pro athlete.....how do you get to that status of being a pro?

    joel
    "Its Miller Time tonight" - Jay Cutler '06 Mr. Olympia

  14. #44
    Registered User JoelsRipped's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2004
    Location: Louisville, KY
    Age: 31
    Posts: 319
    Rep Power: 0
    JoelsRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    JoelsRipped is offline

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Whast your weight and height by the way? 6'2 190?
    "Its Miller Time tonight" - Jay Cutler '06 Mr. Olympia

  15. #45
    Registered User XTRMEWJ's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Des Moines, IA
    Age: 40
    Posts: 657
    Rep Power: 225
    XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    XTRMEWJ is offline
    A few things:

    1) As we generally compare ourselves to the norms of society, I believe that we are indeed well above average regarding our attitudes towards fitness and a healthy lifestyle. I agree with your point that it is all relative however.

    2) I gove you props for posting up the pics...most guys would talk tough and then never do it. Height/weight? I am willing to bet you are tall like me. I guess your weight at 165. If you are trying to impress people around here, next time give a full body shot that shows your wheels. Upper bodies are boring...everyone has one. Big, deeply seperated legs seperate the men from the boys.

    3) You are not stage ready. You are lean, but not ready for the stage. I think you dont understand what one needs in terms of bodyfat to get on stage. Having never competed thats completely normal. Once you have been on stage like myself and most of us around here, you sing a different tune. Hell, every time I compete I come back with a different notion of what I need to look like. Bigger and leaner, everytime.

    You say you dont need 4% to compete. Try to find an experienced natural athlete (a WNBF pro for example) who will tell you that its OK to have anything but minimal bodyfat at a show. To be truly shredded and contest-ready you are looking at sub 4%. That number will get you the grainy look that the successful guys(top placing athletes) have. While its true you can step on stage with 6 or 7%, you will get your ass beat. Hell, you could step on stage with 25% and all you get is embarassment.

    4) Why do you want to look good in the gym? Furthermore, why look good anywhere but the stage? I only care what I look like for 1 or 2 days a year. The rest of the time is simply contest prep. If you train correctly, stay natural and eat correctly you are always going to look like a bodybuilder, not the balloons that he drugged up guys resemble in their offseasons. The best chance for success on stage starts the day after your show. Stay lean enought o allow your diet to work for you, not against you.

    5) Smart athletes do not drop water, you are correct. They rely on diet and exercise to burn offseason fat. Muscle is 75% water. Cutting it = flat muscles.

    Sean
    Last edited by XTRMEWJ; 07-31-2006 at 08:38 AM.
    B.S. Exercise Science, Philosophy, Creighton University 2003

    CSCS, NSCA-CPT

    Member of TEAM KLEMCZEWSKI
    www.thedietdoc.com

    "His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.Ē

    -President Theodore Roosevelt

  16. #46
    Banned Hulk7280's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Age: 39
    Posts: 377
    Rep Power: 0
    Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hulk7280 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hulk7280 is offline
    Originally Posted by Al Shades
    I don't think you're above mediocrity, you're just a different breed of it than the norm. Some people have stamp collections, others collect model airplanes. You bodybuild. The fact that you pursue this lifestyle doesn't make you automatically superior to others with different interests. You know what's boring? The "cutting/bulking" paradigm that every idiot in bodybuilding follows like gospel. That's "normal", as far as this sport is concerned. That's mundane. Being better than normal means being different in your own right, better than others in your own hobby of choice.



    I never signed any contract that mandated that BB'ers have to be at 4% in order to step on stage. If I wanted to get to 4, I could do it, but it's not necessary. If anything, I'd go on a caloric surplus before competition. Not that I'll ever compete.

    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attach...6&d=1140582440

    This pic is from Jan 2006. I've improved in many aspects since then.



    Why bother dropping water? I know what it takes to look good in the gym, and I don't drop water to do it. The stage is no different than the gym. There's no reason to bother will all this fancy **** unless you're a pro athlete in the sport.
    anyone can look great in the gym... its when you stand next to people on stage that u start to see the diffrence between a bodybuilder and someone who just works out.. no offense but ive seen guys and abercombie ad's bigger then u

  17. #47
    Registered User Boxing_101's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2006
    Age: 32
    Posts: 47
    Rep Power: 0
    Boxing_101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Boxing_101 is offline
    Originally Posted by Agostage
    As a competitive bodybuilder do you ever feel like nobody around you really understands what youíre doing? I find so often that I feel like I have no one to talk to, present company excluded of course. My roommates persist in asking me to go out every night, ďfellas, I canít Iím training.Ē I was explaining to my girlfriend the other day why Iíve been so uptight lately. Bodybuilding, unlike most sports I can think of, is a 24/7 commitment. As soon as you wake up itís on you mind as you make a shake or measure your eggs, whatever, until the night when you tally up your calories burnt and calories consumed. There are no breaks, even cheating is scheduled. It seems to be a very internal sport, with little support and understanding from those around you. When I say that I will be competing in October I often get asked if I have to lift weights on stage...What?! I feel like I want to slap the bastard! But of course bodybuilding is not mainstream. Iím still pretty green as far as competing goes, but it really does take a certain kind of person to become not just a weightlifter, but a bodybuilder. I think only you guys really understand that. Iím off to make a shake.

    Unlike other sports, it's 24/7? The only thing that is 24/7 is the diet, and lots of sports have strict diets that go 24/7.

  18. #48
    Broscience > Studies Al Shades's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2004
    Location: United States
    Posts: 6,726
    Rep Power: 6259
    Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Al Shades is offline
    Originally Posted by JoelsRipped
    HAHAHAHA wow dude you talk to much and you cant back anything up. I dont care if that pic is from 1 year ago or 1 week ago. Your the kinda person that lifts weights, no regimented routines, no diet, just lifts and acts tuff. You should really reconsider your signature too. Your picture speaks for itself.
    Yeah, the picture does speak for itself. I looked great when it was taken, and I look even better now.

    You're totally wrong about the "kind of person" I am. I do follow a strict fitness and dietary regimen and I've even posted them here. My sig is spot on. There's absolutely no way I could look the way I do without having my diet in order.

    Originally Posted by JoelsRipped
    And you talkin about theres no reason to drop water unless your a pro athlete.....how do you get to that status of being a pro?
    By having the genetics and the stubborn persistence of a mule. There's no need for amateurs to bother with that crap. It's not guaranteed to work.

    Originally Posted by JoelsRipped
    Whast your weight and height by the way? 6'2 190?
    About 5'9, 140 lbs.

  19. #49
    Broscience > Studies Al Shades's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2004
    Location: United States
    Posts: 6,726
    Rep Power: 6259
    Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Al Shades is offline
    Originally Posted by XTRMEWJ
    A few things:
    2) I gove you props for posting up the pics...most guys would talk tough and then never do it. Height/weight? I am willing to bet you are tall like me. I guess your weight at 165. If you are trying to impress people around here, next time give a full body shot that shows your wheels. Upper bodies are boring...everyone has one. Big, deeply seperated legs seperate the men from the boys.
    Not everyone I've seen has an upper bod worth showing, but as you wish, here is an old leg shot. I haven't put up any new pics since the beginning of the year because they're a pain in the ass to take.

    http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img05374wl.jpg

    Originally Posted by XTRMEWJ
    3) You are not stage ready. You are lean, but not ready for the stage. I think you dont understand what one needs in terms of bodyfat to get on stage. Having never competed thats completely normal. Once you have been on stage like myself and most of us around here, you sing a different tune. Hell, every time I compete I come back with a different notion of what I need to look like. Bigger and leaner, everytime.

    You say you dont need 4% to compete. Try to find an experienced natural athlete (a WNBF pro for example) who will tell you that its OK to have anything but minimal bodyfat at a show. To be truly shredded and contest-ready you are looking at sub 4%. That number will get you the grainy look that the successful guys(top placing athletes) have. While its true you can step on stage with 6 or 7%, you will get your ass beat. Hell, you could step on stage with 25% and all you get is embarassment.
    Here's the problem: I don't subscribe to very many -if any- of the conventional notions about competitive bodybuilding. One of these notions is the generally accepted degree of leanness required to compete. I've stated before that I hate the way that most natural/amateur BB'ers look on stage. I call it the "shredded shrimp" look. These people have twice my mass offseason, yet they throw all of it into the dumpster and come onstage looking like 15 year olds. It's pathetic.

    Regardless, the fact remains that I could get into "competition state" (as defined by conventional standards) in a short amount of time, if I had the inclination. What most competitors ignore is this equation:
    Full tan+pump+body oil+stage lights == apparent 5% reduction in BF%. If you are "almost shredded" at the end of your diet phase, you will look shredded when all the effects come into play on stage.

    Originally Posted by XTRMEWJ
    4) Why do you want to look good in the gym? Furthermore, why look good anywhere but the stage? I only care what I look like for 1 or 2 days a year. The rest of the time is simply contest prep. If you train correctly, stay natural and eat correctly you are always going to look like a bodybuilder, not the balloons that he drugged up guys resemble in their offseasons. The best chance for success on stage starts the day after your show. Stay lean enought o allow your diet to work for you, not against you.
    I would ask the same thing of you, only reversed. Why are you so concerned about what happens on stage? Bodybuilding is a part of my life. I do it to look and feel good, day in and day out. What the hell is the point of competing? Why should I give a damn about how some random nobody critiques my phsique? I'm perfectly capable of evaluating my own strengths and weaknesses. I compete against each person I see every single day, in the gym and out. Why should I go up against 8-12 other people who I don't even know? They could be slackers. Why both? Why waste the effort? For a plastic trophy? There's simply no point.

    Bodybuilding is WAY too subjective to be made into a formal sport. All bodybuilding judges are biased. Objectivity doesn't exist.

  20. #50
    Broscience > Studies Al Shades's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2004
    Location: United States
    Posts: 6,726
    Rep Power: 6259
    Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Al Shades is offline
    Originally Posted by Hulk7280
    anyone can look great in the gym... its when you stand next to people on stage that u start to see the diffrence between a bodybuilder and someone who just works out.. no offense but ive seen guys and abercombie ad's bigger then u
    So have I. What's your point? The guys in those ads aren't remotely close to possessing my definition and muscularity. I'm bigger than many natural BBers in stage condition and not far away from them in terms of leanness. There are guys in A&F and Gap Ads who are bigger than some of the well known BB'ers on this board in their stage condition.

    As for the stage...who gives a ****? If you can't tell the difference between a true BB'er and someone who "just works out" in the gym, then why should I complain? What that translates to is me looking better than the "true BBer" for 364 days out of a year. 364 to 1: That's not a bad record at all. Bodybuilding is a lifestyle, not a sport. The longer you look good, the better you are. It is not about competition day. That bull**** is irrelevant.

    Not that I agree with your point. I would readily step on stage against anyone from my height/weight class and give myself the odds of winning. I have never seen anyone of my weight holding the amount muscularity that I possess. The fact that I am 140 dry and most people think I'm 160+ speaks volumes. Wait until I actually get up to 160. Then I will look like 190. My conditioning is pretty much unrivaled. I constantly see guys who have 20, 30 lbs. on me yet look smaller. The stage, for me, is my life, and I compete every day.
    Last edited by Al Shades; 07-31-2006 at 06:11 PM.

  21. #51
    The D Agostage's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Posts: 2,454
    Rep Power: 464
    Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Agostage has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Agostage is offline
    Originally Posted by Boxing_101
    Unlike other sports, it's 24/7? The only thing that is 24/7 is the diet, and lots of sports have strict diets that go 24/7.

    True, I'll give ya that.
    Founder of the University of Wisconsin Bodybuilding Club

    2011 Prep Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131369463

    "Well, you either want this... or you don't" ~LN

  22. #52
    Registered User the kid's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2002
    Posts: 0
    Rep Power: 0
    the kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the kid is offline

    idiot

    You couldn't step on stage with an Amateur Female bodybuilder and even break the top ten! 140 lbs!!! Wow that's Huge! But you look even bigger. You look 160!!! That's hillarious. When I first started bodybuilding I was a rail thin 165lbs and that's as small as I've been in 5 years. Try stepping on stage with guys 220-240 that outweigh you by 100 lbs and have less bodyfat, then come talk some more noise. What a freakin loser!!

  23. #53
    Goin' Pro! SleepLifter's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Age: 32
    Posts: 1,102
    Rep Power: 254
    SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) SleepLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    SleepLifter is offline
    ive seen birds in my backyard with bigger chests...before you come on the fourms and start insulting real bodybuilders go eat something....

    oh, and get a tan

  24. #54
    Registered User XTRMEWJ's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Des Moines, IA
    Age: 40
    Posts: 657
    Rep Power: 225
    XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    XTRMEWJ is offline
    I take back what I said about you being tall. At 140 pounds, you have to be short. I guessed heavier because you are very, very ectomorphic. Based on that observation, I assumed you to be taller. Inductive logic fails again. LOL.

    You need bigger wheels brother(I do too...I am not ripping, but stating a fact).

    Your observation that immediate contest prep appears to cut fat is correct. The tan, lights and oil makes you look good. But if you start at 7%(a guess based on your claims) and John Doe starts at 4%, you both put the tan, oil and lights on us...John Doe is going to beat you every single time. He will be grainy and striated. You will not. He will have cross-striations. Split hams. Striated glutes. Say what you will about bodybuilding being subjective...the fact remains that this is how the sport is judged. You seem to dislike this fact and thus, rightfully so, have decided not to compete. Thats cool...this sport is not for everyone. I think I would just ask that you acknowledge that there is a lot you do not know about the sport having never stepped on stage. I love the internet, but it seems to make everyone an expert.

    Finally, you asked why I am concerned with the outcome on stage? I don't care where I place. I just care about looking my personal best on that stage, on that day. beyond that, I have no control. I have one goal, and only one goal when I compete. I want to be bigger, fuller and leaner than the last time. I use the stage as a place to measure true progress. You can not hide under the stage lights. I love the training, I love the diet and I love the prep. I love talking shop with other competitors, I love going to the afterparty. I love hanging out backstage. I love the lifestyle. Its who I am.

    The guys I see "competing" with others in the gym are the idiots, often on juice. They are the guys who think the world revolves around a flat bench. They always ask me how to "get abs". They only squat on a ****ter. They wear Abercrombie to the gym and use man-product in their hair. You ask why you should give a damn what others think of you and then say compete against them. Competition denotes caring. I guess I am confused by your stance. If you want, we can just agree to disagree. To each his own.

    Sean
    B.S. Exercise Science, Philosophy, Creighton University 2003

    CSCS, NSCA-CPT

    Member of TEAM KLEMCZEWSKI
    www.thedietdoc.com

    "His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.Ē

    -President Theodore Roosevelt

  25. #55
    CSCS, CPT, WNBF Pro Cytrainer913's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2005
    Age: 50
    Posts: 1,916
    Rep Power: 404
    Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Cytrainer913 is offline

    legs!

    Now here's a set of wheels, use this as inspiration!
    Attached Images

  26. #56
    Registered User thehulkster's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2005
    Age: 34
    Posts: 315
    Rep Power: 202
    thehulkster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thehulkster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thehulkster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thehulkster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thehulkster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thehulkster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thehulkster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thehulkster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thehulkster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thehulkster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thehulkster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thehulkster is offline
    140? you are a shrimp dude. No way you could touch anyone with a respectable amount of muscle on their body. Your legs are quite pathetic which does not surprise me after seeing your upper body which is lean yes but scrawny. put some muscle on and get leaner them come back and talk to us. 5'9 140...that's just too funny...
    Dave McCulley
    Age: 20
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 247 (off season)
    Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '08

    Bodybuilding Competition Results:
    Texas Shredder 05: Novice Heavyweight Champion, and Teen Champion
    Alamo Classic 06: Open Heavyweight Champion

  27. #57
    Broscience > Studies Al Shades's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2004
    Location: United States
    Posts: 6,726
    Rep Power: 6259
    Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Al Shades is offline
    Originally Posted by thehulkster
    140? you are a shrimp dude. No way you could touch anyone with a respectable amount of muscle on their body. Your legs are quite pathetic which does not surprise me after seeing your upper body which is lean yes but scrawny. put some muscle on and get leaner them come back and talk to us. 5'9 140...that's just too funny...
    I'll tell you what's funny: The fact that, based on an old pic of mine, one guy thought I was 165 and another guy thought I was 190.

    Now that I've posted my real weight, idiots like you are crawling out of the woodwork to tell me that I'm too small.

    Get a clue. The weight means NOTHING. The appearance means EVERYTHING.

    Based on the LATTER, I look 160+. The fact that I'm actually 140 is a MAJOR testament to my superb conditioning. The fact that you cannot employ the simplest of logic to arrive at this conclusion is a fitting testament to YOUR stupidity.

    Do you think people walk around with their weights floating as numbers above their heads? No? Then why wouldn't I be able to compete against practically anyone I choose? Who gives a **** about weight? If I was carrying an additional 15-20 pounds of water and fat, as most people do, would that somehow make me a "stronger" competitor? What a freakin' joke. Listen to the crap that's comin' out of your mouth.

    I'll say it again:
    I am BIGGER than many natural BB'ers in their competition state!

    You want to see shrimps? Go check out LAYNE NORTON'S pics from his first comp!

  28. #58
    Broscience > Studies Al Shades's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2004
    Location: United States
    Posts: 6,726
    Rep Power: 6259
    Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Al Shades is offline
    Originally Posted by the kid
    I was a rail thin 165lbs and that's as small as I've been in 5 years.
    Hey idiot: Read what I wrote about conditioning. The fact that you and plenty of other people are rail thin at a certain weight means your conditioning sucks. My conditioning is world class. Therefore, your ****ty standards do not compare to me. That's why I can weigh 140 and look great.

    Originally Posted by SleepLifter
    ive seen birds in my backyard with bigger chests...before you come on the fourms and start insulting real bodybuilders go eat something....

    oh, and get a tan
    My chest looked bad in that pic because my shoulder blades were retracted. Regardless, it's an area in which I've put a lot effort since the pic was taken. I should mention, by the way, that I was COMPLETELY COLD in that shot. And I've gotten a tan since then, too. Even though I think I looked great then, I look better now in every aspect.

    Originally Posted by XTRMEWJ
    I take back what I said about you being tall. At 140 pounds, you have to be short. I guessed heavier because you are very, very ectomorphic. Based on that observation, I assumed you to be taller. Inductive logic fails again. LOL.
    Bodybuilding is more illusion than reality. You thought I was over 140 because I look to be over 140, bottom line. Since when is 5'9 "short"? I don't know my exact height, that was a conservative estimate. It could conceivably be 5'10. I disagree with your assumption that I am predominantly ectomorphic and I would like to know what you are basing it on...is it soley my weight/height ratio? If so, your classification system is faulty. Ecto/Meso/Endo are determined by body structure, not H/W ratios. I don't think I have a pure ecto build. I strongly believe I'm an ecto/meso hybrid.

    Originally Posted by XTRMEWJ
    You need bigger wheels brother(I do too...I am not ripping, but stating a fact).
    More like an opinion -- one with which I couldn't disagree more. Naturally, having bigger legs would be nice (in proportion to the rest of my physique), but that pic is the most flattering lower body shot I've ever taken. Take a look at it again and compare it to the upper shot. I cannot fathom how you could possibly tell me that my legs need to be bigger given the size of my upper body and my W/H. Those legs are HUGE for this frame -- are you kidding me? Are we looking at the same shot? Enlarge the picture and look at the thickness of the upper thigh, the massive sweep.

    Originally Posted by XTRMEWJ
    Your observation that immediate contest prep appears to cut fat is correct. The tan, lights and oil makes you look good. But if you start at 7%(a guess based on your claims) and John Doe starts at 4%, you both put the tan, oil and lights on us...John Doe is going to beat you every single time. He will be grainy and striated. You will not. He will have cross-striations. Split hams. Striated glutes. Say what you will about bodybuilding being subjective...the fact remains that this is how the sport is judged.
    And in order to get those striations, a guy who is twice my size off season will have to come in smaller than I am. Any idiot can diet down until he has no size left and looks like a diced shrimp - that takes no real skill. Real conditioning is the best mix of size AND definition, not just one of them alone.

    Originally Posted by XTRMEWJ
    You seem to dislike this fact and thus, rightfully so, have decided not to compete. Thats cool...this sport is not for everyone. I think I would just ask that you acknowledge that there is a lot you do not know about the sport having never stepped on stage. I love the internet, but it seems to make everyone an expert.
    If I wanted to make myself look like an appetizer at a Japanese seafood restaurant, it would not be difficult nor time-consuming to accomplish. I eat 3.5kcal/day to maintain my present weight. Getting shredded would be easier than pie for me. And yes, it could be done in about a week.

    Originally Posted by XTRMEWJ
    Finally, you asked why I am concerned with the outcome on stage? I don't care where I place. I just care about looking my personal best on that stage, on that day. beyond that, I have no control. I have one goal, and only one goal when I compete. I want to be bigger, fuller and leaner than the last time. I use the stage as a place to measure true progress. You can not hide under the stage lights. I love the training, I love the diet and I love the prep. I love talking shop with other competitors, I love going to the afterparty. I love hanging out backstage. I love the lifestyle. Its who I am.

    The guys I see "competing" with others in the gym are the idiots, often on juice. They are the guys who think the world revolves around a flat bench. They always ask me how to "get abs". They only squat on a ****ter. They wear Abercrombie to the gym and use man-product in their hair. You ask why you should give a damn what others think of you and then say compete against them. Competition denotes caring. I guess I am confused by your stance. If you want, we can just agree to disagree. To each his own.
    I am not the type of gym idiot you describe. When I stated that I compete against everyone it was not to imply that I go around and try to show off to other people. It is all mental. And ultimately, I'm always competing against myself, striving for improvement, just the same as you. The difference is that I see formal stage competitions as a completely unnecessary distraction from my individual progress. I don't need anyone to solicit anyone to judge me or to be judged against a select few random strangers. This is pointless.
    Last edited by Al Shades; 08-01-2006 at 12:33 AM.

  29. #59
    Broscience > Studies Al Shades's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2004
    Location: United States
    Posts: 6,726
    Rep Power: 6259
    Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Al Shades is offline
    Originally Posted by Cytrainer913
    Now here's a set of wheels, use this as inspiration!
    Those legs are about the same size as mine proportionately. The difference being that the shot was taken to emphasize the muscularity and muscle seperation, whereas mine was not. I was stone cold in my shot. There's nothing remarkable about that shot. I have a comparable amount of seperation in my legs.

  30. #60
    CSCS, CPT, WNBF Pro Cytrainer913's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2005
    Age: 50
    Posts: 1,916
    Rep Power: 404
    Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Cytrainer913 is offline

    legs

    If your legs were anything near that you would be posting them and they are not cuts or size wise! Plus I am almost 6" shorter than you!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts