nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Albacore vs. Chuck Light Tuna

I have always eaten Albacore. Is there any reason for me to switch to Chunk Light?

Thanks.
    ~ nukLhed ~

- People don't fail, they just stop trying.
    - Commitment, desire, and action have nothing to do with education.

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by nukLhed
    I have always eaten Albacore. Is there any reason for me to switch to Chunk Light?

Thanks.
    If you're afraid of mercury, albacore typically has more. Mercury will be the last thing that kills me, so I still eat the albacore because it tastes better.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Amino89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bump to this thread I was going to make a thread on tuna but decided to post it here. Is this really all the tuna you can eat in a week safely? (is this calculator right?) I know the mercury is supposedly high but 1.0 part per million doesn't seem "that" harmful. Any other canned fish that is good for an alternative? http://www.ewg.org/issues/mercury/20...calculator.php

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Amino89
    Bump to this thread I was going to make a thread on tuna but decided to post it here. Is this really all the tuna you can eat in a week safely? (is this calculator right?) I know the mercury is supposedly high but 1.0 part per million doesn't seem "that" harmful. Any other canned fish that is good for an alternative? http://www.ewg.org/issues/mercury/20...calculator.php
    First of all, thanks for NOT starting another tuna thread lol. This will be the second time I've ever posted this, but just read it and decide for yourself. Personally, I am convinced that the "mercury" in tuna scare is overblown and somewhat politically driven by animal rights activists. But again, this is just food for thought (pardon the pun):

The best science indicates that trace amounts of mercury in the fish Americans eat simply aren't high enough to pose a health risk. But measuring only mercury further exaggerates this hypothetical risk. There's another scientific wrinkle that few environmental groups are talking about -- largely because it doesn't help to promote their scare campaigns. An accurate picture of the health consequences of eating fish must include other substances that affect the way mercury interacts with the human body.

Selenium is plentiful in fish, but the public hasn't heard much about its role in the mercury puzzle. As biochemists, pharmacologists, and neurologists study this nutrient, we're gaining a better understanding of its importance.

In scientific jargon, selenium has an unusually high "binding affinity" for mercury. In layman's terms, this means that when the two elements are found together, they tend to connect, forming a new substance. This makes it difficult for the human body to absorb the mercury separately. So when mercury "binds" to selenium, it's no longer free to "bind" to anything else -- like brain tissue.

The research world is still developing explanations for exactly how selenium cancels out mercury's potentially toxic effects, but most scientists accept one of two competing theories.

The conventional idea describes selenium as a sort of "mercury magnet." Under this theory, once selenium is digested it can locate and neutralize mercury molecules. In one study, Japanese researchers found that adding selenium to the diets of birds "gave complete protection" from large amounts of mercury. Research carried out by scientists in Scotland and the Philippines has concluded that the relationship between mercury and selenium is one of "toxicological antagonism." And in the United States, the Environmental Protection Agency describes selenium as an element that is "antagonistic to the toxic effects of mercury."

The more recent selenium hypothesis holds that mercury takes a more active role in the relationship. Under this theory, when mercury enters the body it seeks out selenium and takes it out of circulation, preventing the body from creating enzymes that depend on selenium to perform their functions. Enzymes are special proteins that control the various steps in chemical reactions that make life possible. Without enough selenium-based enzymes, the functions of the brain and other organs can be affected.

While this might sound scary, problems can only occur if we don't get enough selenium to counteract the trace amounts of mercury in the fish we eat. And fish are so rich in selenium that this is not likely to happen. The U.S. Department of Agriculture has measured selenium levels in more than 1,000 commonly consumed foods, and 16 of the 25 best sources of dietary selenium are ocean fish. University of North Dakota environmental scientist Dr. Nicholas Ralston is an expert on the relationship between selenium and mercury. Here's how he describes it:
    Think of dietary selenium as if it were your income and dietary mercury as if it were a bill that you need to pay. Just as we all need a certain amount of money to cover living expenses such as food and rent, we all need a certain amount of selenium ... Only one major study has shown negative effects from exposure to mercury from seafood, and that seafood was pilot whale meat. Pilot whale meat is unusual in that it contains more mercury than selenium. When you eat pilot whale meat, it's like getting a bill for $400 and a check for less than $100. If that happens too much, you go bankrupt. On the other hand, if you eat ocean fish, it's like getting a check in the mail for $500 and getting a bill for $25. The more that happens, the happier you are.

Dr. Ralston is right. Researchers at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration found that most of the fish we eat contains significantly more selenium than mercury. Seafood that contains more mercury (Hg) than selenium (Se) includes pilot whale, tarpon, marlin, and some shark. Fish we most commonly consume, including all forms of tuna and salmon, are rich in selenium.

More importantly: Mercury levels found in fish have actually DECLINED or stayed the same over the past 10 years.
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In addition to selenium, L-Cysteine / NAC, L-Methionine, L-Lysine, and Glutathione assist in detoxifying and chelating toxins / metals from the body.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Inuendo? In HER end Oh! PickItUp's Avatar
    PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000)

Thanks.
    To avoid a fight with dbx, I will limit my responses to this topic...

That being said, allegedly, there is more mercury in albacore. I am not referring to a 25% increase in mercury, but rather a magnitude of 100%-200% more or so.

This means it has 2-3 times as much mercury.

I will not argue with anyone here about the implications of how that mercury affects us...but you cannot deny that the mercury is present, and in albacore, mercury is much higher than in chunk light.
    Mark these words in the annals (no homo) of bodybuilding.com.
    8===D~~~ (.Y.)

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by pickitup
    To avoid a fight with dbx, I will limit my responses to this topic...

That being said, allegedly, there is more mercury in albacore. I am not referring to a 25% increase in mercury, but rather a magnitude of 100%-200% more or so.

This means it has 2-3 times as much mercury.

I will not argue with anyone here about the implications of how that mercury affects us...but you cannot deny that the mercury is present, and in albacore, mercury is much higher than in chunk light.
    I can't comment with any certainty on the percentage increase numbers you've mentioned, but will say that I agree that there are usually higher levels of mercury found in albacore. I don't think anyone disputes this.
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the info!

What about other seafood? Is there any safe seafood to eat? I've been looking at mussels... http://www.eatmussels.com/nutrition.html They seem to have all the goods, but they are "filter feeders". If i didn't get farm raised mussels then they could contain even more polutants - correct?

Salmon in a can?

EDIT: I just found this link:
    http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/sea-mehg.html
    Last edited by nukLhed; 07-11-2006 at 08:12 AM.
    ~ nukLhed ~

- People don't fail, they just stop trying.
    - Commitment, desire, and action have nothing to do with education.

Pump_30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pump_30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pump_30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pump_30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pump_30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pump_30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pump_30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pump_30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pump_30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pump_30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pump_30 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thanks.
    I eat chunk light....personal preference really....maybe less fat in the chunk light.....

Inuendo? In HER end Oh! PickItUp's Avatar
    PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dbx
    I can't comment with any certainty on the percentage increase numbers you've mentioned, but will say that I agree that there are usually higher levels of mercury found in albacore. I don't think anyone disputes this.

In looking at the link I provided with the chart that tells how often tuna can be consumed based on age...

Albacore tends to need 2-3 days off for every one day of chunk light.

Based on this info, I figured that it has 2-3 times the mercury content...
    Mark these words in the annals (no homo) of bodybuilding.com.
    8===D~~~ (.Y.)

outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Mercury in tuna in the news today:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13814008/

As usual they say that tuna should be limited to one or two meals a week.

They say that imported tuna has more mercury than U.S. tuna and that eating elevated mercury levels can screw you up. But, of course, it's left to assumption that there is enough mercury in the tuna to constitute the "elevated levels" needed to mess you up.

JeremyD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I honeslty think people make far too big a fuss about mercury levels in tuna. I work in a lab doing DPASV at least 2-3x a week, exposing me to far higher mercury levels on a daily basis then most will have to deal with in a lifetime. I'm not too worried Trust me, something else will kill you first.