Garth II has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Garth II has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Garth II has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Garth II has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Garth II has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Garth II has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Garth II has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Garth II has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Garth II has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Garth II has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Garth II has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Is lifting weights actually good for the body?

I've been thinking about whether or not I want to continue going to the gym. Sure, it makes you have bigger muscles.. but wouldn't that put more strain on your heart?

Say someone had ruffly the same diet (minus protein intake, I guess) and did the same amount of cardio as someone who did all of that but lifted weights aswell. Would the lifter be better off than the non-lifter?
    "Ya know, I spend a long time on my hair and he hit it; he hit my hair."

dollee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dollee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dollee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dollee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dollee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dollee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dollee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dollee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dollee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dollee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dollee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    no. Nobody here lifts so that we'll live longer. If you just exercised enough and ran or played basketball, etc. you'd be fine. Lifting weights really gives you no advantage over cardio that I know of. People who lift do it for strength, for competitions, for looks, for self-confidence, for fighting, for many reasons. I don't really think extra muscle significantly strains your heart, atleast not like having a ton of extra fat would if ur obese, but I don't think lifting gives you any advantages besides keeping you fit/healthy.

The_One77 is not very helpful. (-500) The_One77 is not very helpful. (-500) The_One77 is not very helpful. (-500) The_One77 is not very helpful. (-500) The_One77 is not very helpful. (-500) The_One77 is not very helpful. (-500) The_One77 is not very helpful. (-500) The_One77 is not very helpful. (-500) The_One77 is not very helpful. (-500) The_One77 is not very helpful. (-500) The_One77 is not very helpful. (-500)
    having muscles makes you stronger, more explosive (helps athlethes in sports) and helps joints to be more injury resistant.
    Yes it is healthy
    This one's for you baby

inflames910 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) inflames910 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) inflames910 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) inflames910 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) inflames910 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    only way i can see lifting being a good way to live longer is this:

since i started lifting, ive literally given up almost ALL bad foods. no more fast food, restaurants, soda, candy, salty snacks, chips, baked sweets, etc. my eating is now down to what i see as how all people should eat--its fine to have these things ONCE IN A WHILE. but everything else should be healthy, natural, unprocessed (or very little processing) foods. if i continued eating the way i had in the first 15 years of my life, i coudl see a huge impact in my overall well-being as i got older...now that im eating this way, i can definetely see living longer.

The_One77 is not very helpful. (-500) The_One77 is not very helpful. (-500) The_One77 is not very helpful. (-500) The_One77 is not very helpful. (-500) The_One77 is not very helpful. (-500) The_One77 is not very helpful. (-500) The_One77 is not very helpful. (-500) The_One77 is not very helpful. (-500) The_One77 is not very helpful. (-500) The_One77 is not very helpful. (-500) The_One77 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Garth II
    I've been thinking about whether or not I want to continue going to the gym. Sure, it makes you have bigger muscles.. but wouldn't that put more strain on your heart?

Say someone had ruffly the same diet (minus protein intake, I guess) and did the same amount of cardio as someone who did all of that but lifted weights aswell. Would the lifter be better off than the non-lifter?
    and why would you worry about how long you are going to live regarding weight lifting?
    The gym is there to make you look better and feel better, if you're so worried about it....lift so you can achieve your goal to how you want to look like and then quit.
    This one's for you baby

That0neGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) That0neGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) That0neGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) That0neGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) That0neGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) That0neGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) That0neGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) That0neGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) That0neGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) That0neGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) That0neGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Aren't muscles good for the heart, rather than a hinderance?

I mean, I thought I read somewhere that the muscles contract and relax to help the blowflow from the heart so the heart does not have to work as hard. The muscles take part in spreading the blood throughout your body.

I think it's something like that.

Nickdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nickdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nickdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nickdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nickdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nickdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nickdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nickdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nickdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nickdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nickdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    but does lifting weights make your life span shorter?

I still wont quit if it does.

dollee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dollee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dollee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dollee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dollee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dollee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dollee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dollee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dollee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dollee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dollee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Nickdude
    but does lifting weights make your life span shorter?

I still wont quit if it does.
    nooooooo. wtf hellllll no. if anything, lifting weights is beneficial to your body and your cardiovascular health.

Step_Up is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Step_Up is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Step_Up is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Step_Up is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Step_Up is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Step_Up is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Step_Up is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Step_Up is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Step_Up is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Step_Up is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Step_Up is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Lifting weights is beneficial.

Getting as big as Ronnie, Jay, Lee, etc. IS NOT good for you! Those guys can't run a block without stopping and gasping for air.

FateXxX is not very well liked. (-100) FateXxX is not very well liked. (-100) FateXxX is not very well liked. (-100) FateXxX is not very well liked. (-100) FateXxX is not very well liked. (-100) FateXxX is not very well liked. (-100) FateXxX is not very well liked. (-100) FateXxX is not very well liked. (-100) FateXxX is not very well liked. (-100) FateXxX is not very well liked. (-100) FateXxX is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by The_One77
    having muscles makes you stronger, more explosive (helps athlethes in sports) and helps joints to be more injury resistant.
    Yes it is healthy
    It also increases your BMR and appearance.

In other words, higher BMR equals more calories consumed without getting overweight.

Lifting weights IS NOT bad for your heart for 99% of people. It's bad for you when you start to look like Coleman, Cutler, and beyond.

Nickdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nickdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nickdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nickdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nickdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nickdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nickdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nickdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nickdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nickdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nickdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Step_Up

Getting as big as Ronnie, Jay, Lee, etc. IS NOT good for you! Those guys can't run a block without stopping and gasping for air.
    its worth it.

inflames910 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) inflames910 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) inflames910 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) inflames910 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) inflames910 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah, i guess the cardio of lifting actaully does help too, and in general bb'ers make healthier decisions regarding food choices, etc. what i meant was that a regular person doing cardio and eating healthy would probably be the same. and yes, as long as u arent doing bad things to your body to gain muscle, lifting IS beneficial. a little cardio is needed too, IMO, but for many people lifting alone provides enough cardio.

The People's Disciple Bartholomew X's Avatar
    Bartholomew X is not very helpful. (-500) Bartholomew X is not very helpful. (-500) Bartholomew X is not very helpful. (-500) Bartholomew X is not very helpful. (-500) Bartholomew X is not very helpful. (-500) Bartholomew X is not very helpful. (-500) Bartholomew X is not very helpful. (-500) Bartholomew X is not very helpful. (-500) Bartholomew X is not very helpful. (-500) Bartholomew X is not very helpful. (-500) Bartholomew X is not very helpful. (-500)
    Its the simple questions that perplex and cause arguements, like where are my keys when they are still in the front door or in the hands of the criminally insane. So to answer your question: stay confused.

SlammaJamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlammaJamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlammaJamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlammaJamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlammaJamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlammaJamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlammaJamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlammaJamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlammaJamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlammaJamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlammaJamma is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Garth II has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Garth II has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Garth II has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Garth II has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Garth II has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Garth II has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Garth II has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Garth II has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Garth II has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Garth II has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Garth II has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    bump

SSDD, thats my curse RAVENS EYE's Avatar
    RAVENS EYE is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAVENS EYE is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAVENS EYE is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAVENS EYE is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAVENS EYE is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAVENS EYE is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAVENS EYE is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAVENS EYE is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAVENS EYE is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAVENS EYE is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAVENS EYE is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    why would you ask something like that. man you show your ignorance asking questions like that...
    Last edited by RAVENS EYE; 07-08-2006 at 07:19 PM.

Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Step_Up

And yet they magically do hours and hours on the treadmill
    Spike92 is 15.
    ^ place this in your sig to remind the world that Spike92 is indeed 15 and will never be anything other than 15.

When im not hungry I eat. When Im tired I train. When I feel like giving up I push harder.

Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    people who lift weights have a much better quality of life especially later in their life.

************************* ************************* ************************* ************************* ************************* ************************* ********** ************************* ******* BuildUpNow's Avatar
    BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No actually withdrawing from any physical activities is waaaayyyyy more healthier then doing anything. if u wanna be healthy go eat and stay on ur computer all day and do nothing.
    wait wut

mikeslemonade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeslemonade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeslemonade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeslemonade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeslemonade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeslemonade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeslemonade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeslemonade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeslemonade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeslemonade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeslemonade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You have to know what is most benificial for your body at what time. If your young you have the ability to get huge because the body has the metabolism to testerone to do it. Some people may not agree with me, but when your older you shouldn't have the same diet as your younger because you have a different metabolism. As far as lifting you don't need to change that but you'll notice that your body will get smaller and smaller as you age. It also depends what your goal because if you want to be a bodybuilder like Ronnie Colmon your going to have to stick to a more "unhealthy" diet which will take a toll on your body when you get older. I'm doing this for health and looks and i have no intent to bodybuild professionally, so i can mantain a certain size while eating healthy, but i'm not going to be huge. I'd have to say for my goals i'd have to start being extremely conscious by the age of 30. Being healthy isn't textbook either some people think exercise is #1 and eating is #2 and vice versa. My theory is age 30 when testerone peaks and the body starts to deposit fat due to a slower metabolism also.

the kkk took my baby away I_m sore's Avatar
    I_m sore has a spectacular aura about. (+250) I_m sore has a spectacular aura about. (+250) I_m sore has a spectacular aura about. (+250) I_m sore has a spectacular aura about. (+250) I_m sore has a spectacular aura about. (+250) I_m sore has a spectacular aura about. (+250) I_m sore has a spectacular aura about. (+250) I_m sore has a spectacular aura about. (+250) I_m sore has a spectacular aura about. (+250) I_m sore has a spectacular aura about. (+250) I_m sore has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Big Slim DaDDy
    And yet they magically do hours and hours on the treadmill
    yeah, i also remember an article in flex where kevin levrone a couple years ago when he was still huge, raced an olympic runner in a sprint, and lost but not by a ridiculous amount.
    Live lives, Die deaths, No regrets.

Yesterday is gone, tomorrow may never come, live for today.

"For 14 weeks it's all about this contest. No world, just me, the gym, the treadmill, taking care of business." - Jay Cutler

Old school means you have to be willing to get your hands dirty. It means enjoying the feeling of lying under bone-crushing poundages. Most people can't wait to put the weights down. Old time bodybuilders live for it.

farmerswalk is on a distinguished road. (+10) farmerswalk is on a distinguished road. (+10) farmerswalk is on a distinguished road. (+10) farmerswalk is on a distinguished road. (+10) farmerswalk is on a distinguished road. (+10) farmerswalk is on a distinguished road. (+10) farmerswalk is on a distinguished road. (+10) farmerswalk is on a distinguished road. (+10) farmerswalk is on a distinguished road. (+10) farmerswalk is on a distinguished road. (+10) farmerswalk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Its more about the WHOLE lifestyle than just lifting weights that makes one healthier than the average joe. And a big part of that has to do with proper nutrition. Factor in getting plenty of sleep for recovery, staying away from alcohol, etc. and youre on your way to a healthier life.

plus its documented in some study that heavy lifting naturally increases testosterone and growth hormone to keep you looking and feeling younger.

farmerswalk is on a distinguished road. (+10) farmerswalk is on a distinguished road. (+10) farmerswalk is on a distinguished road. (+10) farmerswalk is on a distinguished road. (+10) farmerswalk is on a distinguished road. (+10) farmerswalk is on a distinguished road. (+10) farmerswalk is on a distinguished road. (+10) farmerswalk is on a distinguished road. (+10) farmerswalk is on a distinguished road. (+10) farmerswalk is on a distinguished road. (+10) farmerswalk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by I_m sore
    yeah, i also remember an article in flex where kevin levrone a couple years ago when he was still huge, raced an olympic runner in a sprint, and lost but not by a ridiculous amount.
    they have that video somewhere on BB.com, i think...

Barefooted HomeGym Lifter new2lifting's Avatar
    new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm 30 and look and feel 20 thanks to 8 years of off and on weightlifting

I think I would look like total crap right now if I never picked up a weight

Zenkei18 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zenkei18 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zenkei18 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zenkei18 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zenkei18 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zenkei18 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zenkei18 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zenkei18 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zenkei18 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zenkei18 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zenkei18 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Ugh, this reminds me of all the if I jerk the gerken will my testosterone take a hurtin threads.

Even if it did, would you still stop?

Quatchkopf is just really nice. (+1000) Quatchkopf is just really nice. (+1000) Quatchkopf is just really nice. (+1000) Quatchkopf is just really nice. (+1000) Quatchkopf is just really nice. (+1000) Quatchkopf is just really nice. (+1000) Quatchkopf is just really nice. (+1000) Quatchkopf is just really nice. (+1000) Quatchkopf is just really nice. (+1000) Quatchkopf is just really nice. (+1000) Quatchkopf is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think you need to consider something you havent thought of. I have seen people who ran all the time ate the best meals possible and were strict at it die of heart attacks less than 35 years old. I have seen fat people who ate whatever they want live past their 50's. Who cares what you do as long as you enjoy it!

wimpking will become famous soon enough. (+50) wimpking will become famous soon enough. (+50) wimpking will become famous soon enough. (+50) wimpking will become famous soon enough. (+50) wimpking will become famous soon enough. (+50) wimpking will become famous soon enough. (+50) wimpking will become famous soon enough. (+50) wimpking will become famous soon enough. (+50) wimpking will become famous soon enough. (+50) wimpking will become famous soon enough. (+50) wimpking will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    good question. I can say that being a fatass is definately not good for the body, so find your balance that you are happy with.
    -------------------------------
    "Girls, make a line for make-outs! Dudes, make a line for high-fives!"

7Happy7 is just really nice. (+1000) 7Happy7 is just really nice. (+1000) 7Happy7 is just really nice. (+1000) 7Happy7 is just really nice. (+1000) 7Happy7 is just really nice. (+1000) 7Happy7 is just really nice. (+1000) 7Happy7 is just really nice. (+1000) 7Happy7 is just really nice. (+1000) 7Happy7 is just really nice. (+1000) 7Happy7 is just really nice. (+1000) 7Happy7 is just really nice. (+1000)
    makes me wonder. if we were never intended to become bodybuilders, why is it so attracting for both sex?

Originally Posted by importrev
    makes me wonder. if we were never intended to become bodybuilders, why is it so attracting for both sex?
    I've seen studies where the women, in general, choose a 'normal' (undefined) body type as their ideal body type for a man.

It's all Hollywood chums.

Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Staberella has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I know that bodybuilding can prevent osteoporosis and increase bone density.