Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MarcTheMachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question One pec bigger than the other

Hey, Ive been working out serious since the start of June, and all this time and even before I started working out serious, my left pec has been bigger than my right. Any ideas why and how to fix that? I was told on this forum that if I just work out it will even out, but it hasn't yet.

I was thinking that this could have happened because for the last 10 years I have been a competitive ice hockey player and I shoot left. When I shoot, pass, stick handle, etc. all my force is going in my left arm when my right arm just holds the top of the stick and doesn't do as much work as my left. Could this be a big key as to why my left pec is much bigger?

Thanks for any response or help you can give me. -- much appreciated.

DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have the same prob, as do many people. Theres 2 main reasons, one is that you have a better mind muscle connection in your left peck, as I do, its way easier for me to flex the left one as appose to the right. Second is that your right delt will be stronger if your right handed, just from every day activities, example for me would be dishwashing for 4 years, scrubbing hundreds of pans a night takes its toll. So if your right delt is stronger, then the peck has to do less work to get the weight up, resulting in imbalance. I recomend stopping short 2 reps before failure on left, and keep going on right, using machines for this is much easier. Also focus your mind on your right peck. Im still working on getting mine even, but im sure this advice is bound to work. I guess you can also do the opposite and do an extra set for your left front delt, maybe like a 4 or 5 rep set, to get the strength up, but keep growth limited, assuming theyre already symetrical.

MarcTheMachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My right side is my stronger side, I do everything with my right when lifting things, writing, punching, etc. so that has to make my right delt stronger, which has that right pec doing less work, correct? (Just so i know im understanding this)

playboy4ll23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playboy4ll23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playboy4ll23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playboy4ll23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playboy4ll23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i think its simply cause your right handed
    It's a great day to fight, and a great day to die

DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MarcTheMachine
    My right side is my stronger side, I do everything with my right when lifting things, writing, punching, etc. so that has to make my right delt stronger, which has that right pec doing less work, correct? (Just so i know im understanding this)
    exactly, now try to apply the solution.

Sepulfuras has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sepulfuras has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sepulfuras has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sepulfuras has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sepulfuras has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sepulfuras has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i find its not my pec (right) as a whole that is bigger. But its my pec minor. The smaller muscle that gives the chest width, fulller shape and that muscular overhang.
    I wanna be WIIDDDEEE

def_con_3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Sepulfuras
    i find its not my pec (right) as a whole that is bigger. But its my pec minor. The smaller muscle that gives the chest width, fulller shape and that muscular overhang.
    I totally agree - the pec minor is what seems to add fullness to the chest. If dips are the only exercise that work the pec minor, according to exrx.net, how could you go about evening out the pec minor?

GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GermanBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    im sorry, but damnit this question comes up all the time, yet nobody ever seems to know how to correct it. switch to dumbells for a while!!!!!! with chest for example. each pec has equal weight stressed on it. the weaker pec will have to work harder to lift the weight than the stronger pec. over time with db's the will correct themselves
    We need systems approach to government, no longer partisan patchwork
    adios guys, ill lurk 2/15

Mr-Scrawny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by brighteyes
    im sorry, but damnit this question comes up all the time, yet nobody ever seems to know how to correct it. switch to dumbells for a while!!!!!! with chest for example. each pec has equal weight stressed on it. the weaker pec will have to work harder to lift the weight than the stronger pec. over time with db's the will correct themselves
    i agree with this guy. i have the same problem a was on a travel hockey team and no matter what i did my left pec was considerably bigger then the right, only to me and the untrained eye. i have also found that my left arm sticks out a little farther then the right. i went to the doctor to get this checked out. they did the spiabifida test where you bend over and they check you spine and noticed that my left shoulder stuck up. to shorten this up due to all the years of hockey and my left arm sticking up from the right hand grip my bones adjusted. this is what i was told. but i changed from doing less bench press and used dumbells. now my chest is evening out. try it and see if it works the same for you. we had almost the same problem

def_con_3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know switching to dumbbells would help for evening out the pec major, but what about the pec minor? According to exrx.net, it is not involved in any dumbbell or barbell chest movements - just dips. I would think of leaning, but that would just make the shoulders and the triceps on the stronger on one side, which would then lead to even more muscular imbalance. So how would you even out the pec minor?

bake has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bench on smith and use one arm. put weight under your left shoulder if using ur right arm and bench like that.*makes u tilt to a side so u get more contraction. try that, but dont over do it and over train ur weaker muscle . i did that. i traied one side TOO hard nad it got worse.

zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by brighteyes View Post
    no that doesnt work. i am the king of lopsided(past-tense) pecs. dumb bell just allow you to differ the form on each side. it doesnt work. stick with BB and watch your form. it does go away, very very slowly.

zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by bake View Post
    bench on smith and use one arm. put weight under your left shoulder if using ur right arm and bench like that.*makes u tilt to a side so u get more contraction. try that, but dont over do it and over train ur weaker muscle . i did that. i traied one side TOO hard nad it got worse.
    i can push the bar in the smith machine up with my 1 side alone, meaning it is probably taking more of the weight when i use both hands. you think your pushing your weak side just as hard but your not.

B.Money is just really nice. (+1000) B.Money is just really nice. (+1000) B.Money is just really nice. (+1000) B.Money is just really nice. (+1000) B.Money is just really nice. (+1000) B.Money is just really nice. (+1000) B.Money is just really nice. (+1000) B.Money is just really nice. (+1000) B.Money is just really nice. (+1000) B.Money is just really nice. (+1000) B.Money is just really nice. (+1000)
    the only way to work the pec minor is to do dips?! as of right now I cant do dips because of an elbow problem ... Maybe it will be alright, since I dont even know what the pec minor really is.

prozack12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

one pec bigger then the other eh?

well I love to reaserch and learn about this kind of thing....I know I'm yung but don't underestimate me lol.

but if you want to even it out then it's quite simple. You can do dips or standing flies with the cables! you must also acknowledge that the male has an uneven set of ribs compared to a female! You know back in the garden with adam and eve? how God took adams rib and made eve? anyway all males have one less rib on one side then the other! this will also unbalance your chest! My chest is ublalanced as well, but if you look, most guys are ubalanced! for instants; I'm right handed yet my left pec is bigger! thats just how it is! just make sure to always do the same amount on both sides. If one pec is STRONGER then the other, then start with the weaker one and end with the weaker one for a couple of months untill they're the same...those exersises will be good for your core too because you should be doing one side at a time!

I hope this helped
    Last edited by prozack12; 11-30-2008 at 11:27 AM. Reason: spelling errors

holojay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

unbalanced load

try doing dumbbell presses with two different weights ie - a 40 lb dumbbell and a 60 lb dumbbell. do 6 reps and switch sides, or do 4 sets and switch sides each set. unbalanced loads supposedly correct imbalanced muscles, but this is only what I've read.

YESr0d is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YESr0d is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YESr0d is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YESr0d is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YESr0d is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YESr0d is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YESr0d is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YESr0d is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YESr0d is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YESr0d is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YESr0d is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by holojay View Post
    try doing dumbbell presses with two different weights ie - a 40 lb dumbbell and a 60 lb dumbbell. do 6 reps and switch sides, or do 4 sets and switch sides each set. unbalanced loads supposedly correct imbalanced muscles, but this is only what I've read.
    If this thread wasn't three years old, your post would still be useless...

Anonymity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anonymity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anonymity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anonymity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anonymity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anonymity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anonymity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anonymity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anonymity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anonymity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anonymity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Strong first post brah

TRUEmass88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRUEmass88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRUEmass88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRUEmass88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRUEmass88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRUEmass88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRUEmass88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRUEmass88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRUEmass88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRUEmass88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRUEmass88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    just do a single arm dumbell compound chest exercise with the smaller pec. do 2-3 extra sets and focus on the smaller pec. that will help bring it even size with the other pec. but don't do anything more than that or you may look deformed!

HockeyKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HockeyKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HockeyKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HockeyKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HockeyKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HockeyKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HockeyKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HockeyKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HockeyKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HockeyKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HockeyKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by def_con_3 View Post
    I know switching to dumbbells would help for evening out the pec major, but what about the pec minor? According to exrx.net, it is not involved in any dumbbell or barbell chest movements - just dips. I would think of leaning, but that would just make the shoulders and the triceps on the stronger on one side, which would then lead to even more muscular imbalance. So how would you even out the pec minor?
    try decline dumbbells its almost the same as dips
    Currently Bulking.

-If hockey was easy, they'd call it soccer.

Goal - 150 lbs. by the end of the school year.

F126 will become famous soon enough. (+50) F126 will become famous soon enough. (+50) F126 will become famous soon enough. (+50) F126 will become famous soon enough. (+50) F126 will become famous soon enough. (+50) F126 will become famous soon enough. (+50) F126 will become famous soon enough. (+50) F126 will become famous soon enough. (+50) F126 will become famous soon enough. (+50) F126 will become famous soon enough. (+50) F126 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i have the same problem, but its my left pec
    strange as my right arm is my dominant
    im thinking it might jus be a bit of fat over the left one, which will soon go away

(i don have a flat pecs lol)

dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000)
    this thread has 10k views

lol wut
    I rep back 5k+, just say 5k+

reps for life: Vai , Cgrimaldo

Chase336 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My problem

what I got is a pec major size issue any tips with that?

bamabuff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DomzyCuttin View Post
    I have the same prob, as do many people. Theres 2 main reasons, one is that you have a better mind muscle connection in your left peck, as I do, its way easier for me to flex the left one as appose to the right. Second is that your right delt will be stronger if your right handed, just from every day activities, example for me would be dishwashing for 4 years, scrubbing hundreds of pans a night takes its toll. So if your right delt is stronger, then the peck has to do less work to get the weight up, resulting in imbalance. I recomend stopping short 2 reps before failure on left, and keep going on right, using machines for this is much easier. Also focus your mind on your right peck. Im still working on getting mine even, but im sure this advice is bound to work. I guess you can also do the opposite and do an extra set for your left front delt, maybe like a 4 or 5 rep set, to get the strength up, but keep growth limited, assuming theyre already symetrical.
    wat do u mean stop short 2 reps? r u talkin about like benching dumbells?

Ox1991 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ox1991 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ox1991 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ox1991 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ox1991 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ox1991 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ox1991 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ox1991 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ox1991 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ox1991 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ox1991 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    One of the boys is larger than the other brahs. Wut do i do?

ShaneArcuri has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok well... Most of you are very wrong. Two main reasons:
    One side may be stronger than the other...

But probably the most accurate reason is:
    You notice that your left pec may be thicker than the right one? Also it is probably located higher up on your chest than the right one? Why do you think that is?
    Answer: Because it is protecting something very vital to your existence.... YOUR HEART! Everybody's left pectoralis is higher and bigger than the right one, normally. This positioning is to protect your heart, as i have said before. Ever been with a girl and noticed that her left breast is bigger and higher than her right one?... The same exact reason applies there.

So there is your answer from an Anatomical view.

jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i played baseball for 10 years and my right delt is noticably bigger than my left and left pec is bigger than the right
    reps for life
    slowbus

rep back 400+

ShaneArcuri has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by DomzyCuttin View Post
    No, this is retarded! Look at my explanation! (Two Posts Up)
    This is the most laughable explanation i have ever seen! WRONG!
    Last edited by ShaneArcuri; 02-09-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: people are dumbasses

V13TCONG is on a distinguished road. (+10) V13TCONG is on a distinguished road. (+10) V13TCONG is on a distinguished road. (+10) V13TCONG is on a distinguished road. (+10) V13TCONG is on a distinguished road. (+10) V13TCONG is on a distinguished road. (+10) V13TCONG is on a distinguished road. (+10) V13TCONG is on a distinguished road. (+10) V13TCONG is on a distinguished road. (+10) V13TCONG is on a distinguished road. (+10) V13TCONG is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ShaneArcuri View Post
    Ok well... Most of you are very wrong. Two main reasons:
    One side may be stronger than the other...

But probably the most accurate reason is:
    You notice that your left pec may be thicker than the right one? Also it is probably located higher up on your chest than the right one? Why do you think that is?
    Answer: Because it is protecting something very vital to your existence.... YOUR HEART! Everybody's left pectoralis is higher and bigger than the right one, normally. This positioning is to protect your heart, as i have said before. Ever been with a girl and noticed that her left breast is bigger and higher than her right one?... The same exact reason applies there.

So there is your answer from an Anatomical view.

My pecs were even as far as I noticed 14 months ago... I took 14 months off... started a 2 or 3 weeks ago and notice my left is bigger now... We'll see what happens in a couple months though. So far I think all the answers above are confusingly retarded
    I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you ... Genghis Khan

... I simply am not there

DCP33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Late to the party

I know this is coming in late but consider this theory.

If you are right hand dominant than typically your right side (of your upper body) is stronger. You use your right side far more than your left. The muscles on your right side are more conditioned and have been worked far more than the left which conditions/leans your right side. So, if you then start working out with both sides with weights, i.e. bench press, then which side is going to get the bigger/harder pump/workout...? The right side has more conditioned muscle which is used to more work/use where as your left side is suddenly going into shock mode and recieving a harder workout which results in more growth stimulated.

My thoughts on correcting this (or my game plan due to my left being slightly larger than my right) is continue workouts as program calls but try to incorporate more dumbbells after first excerise, start with barbell for first and concentrate on even movements and equal focus on sides. Growth always seems to find a plateu or a decreasing growth-rate, meaning you can't continue to grow at the same rate naturally. If you could then we'd all bench over 1000lbs and be over ten feet tall! Anyway, eventually I believe that my chest sides will find an equilibrium in strength as well as growth.

Just my thoughts...