amrhady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question How to Mesure body fat ?

Hi,

I've decided to buy a body fat monitor, like thos tanita scales, but i've read somewhere that it's inaccurate. Can anyone advise ? What are the alternatives ??

Regards,
    Amr

bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    http://www.tssupplements.com/articles.php?id=13

Read that, and I'd recommend calipers.
    Admin at True Sport Supplements Inc.

B.S. Nutrition and Performance
    M.S. Exercise Physiology

Exercise Physiologist, Certified Personal Trainer
    Supplement Distributor and Athlete Promoter

amrhady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Calipers VS. BIA

Hey Bodybuilder,

Thx a lot for the article, very useful. However, it explains that both calipers and BIA scales would yield inaccurate results if improper conditions/usage was present. But i think calipers require a lot of mesurments, and the error is more propable, don't u think ? I also don't understand how the author explained that BIA tests are not useful for bodybuilders due to water retention? Aren't those scales built upon the concept that muscle stores more water than fat ??

appreciate your reply,

Regards,
    Amr

bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    However, it explains that both calipers and BIA scales would yield inaccurate results if improper conditions/usage was present
    Correct, the same goes with other methods of measuring as well.

But i think calipers require a lot of mesurments, and the error is more propable, don't u think ?
    Calipers are more consistent than BIA scales. Especially if you have the same person measure you time after time (or if you do it yourself). There is definitly a learning curve, but I believe it will be more useful in the long run.

I also don't understand how the author explained that BIA tests are not useful for bodybuilders due to water retention?
    BIA scales can be thrown off by water retention, and based on the hydration level of the individual, the end reading could be off widely from day to day.

Aren't those scales built upon the concept that muscle stores more water than fat ??
    They are based more on the principle that the electrical conductivity of fat is different than that of lean tissue and bone, causing the current to move faster through fat.
    Admin at True Sport Supplements Inc.

B.S. Nutrition and Performance
    M.S. Exercise Physiology

Exercise Physiologist, Certified Personal Trainer
    Supplement Distributor and Athlete Promoter