Closed Thread
    FrankVista has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FrankVista has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FrankVista has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FrankVista has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FrankVista has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FrankVista has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FrankVista has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Bruce Lee - Pushups with 250lbs on his back

I was reading up some facts about Bruce Lee. Apparently he could do pushups with 250lbs on his back. He was sub 140lbs & it'd be reasonably fair to say this is roughly equivalent to a 300lb bench which seems incredible to me for such a small guy.

How impressive does this sound to you guys?
    I got mega-negged for saying something derogatory about Metallica. lol.

wow strong hands world_in_union's Avatar
    world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just one of many feats he could do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_lee

"Bruce Lee's feats

Bruce Lee's two finger push upsBruce Lee's striking speed from 2 feet away was five hundredths of a second. (Glover[10])
    Bruce did one-hand push ups using only 2 fingers.
    Bruce was able to break a 150lb bag with a sidekick. (Coburn[10])
    Bruce would ride for 45 minutes (10 Miles) on a stationary bike, sweating profusely afterwards. (Uhera [10])
    Bruce's last movie Enter the Dragon was made for US$850,000 in 1973 ($3.74 million in 2005 currency. BLS[11]). To date, Enter the Dragon has grossed over $90,000,000. (IMDB.com[12])
    Bruce was able to hold a 125-pound barbell at arms length in front of him (with elbows locked) for several seconds. (Little[13]) "

"Quotes from Bruce Lee's friends
    These are some quotes from Bruce Lee's students and people who trained with him about his feats of strength:[10]

Chuck Norris
    "Lee, pound for pound, might well have been one of the strongest men in the world, and certainly one of the quickest."
    Doug Palmer
    "Bruce was like the Michael Jordan or Muhammad Ali in his prime, somebody who stood above everyone else. It's not that the other martial artists weren't good. It's just that this guy was great."
    Herb Jackson
    "The biggest problem in designing equipment for Bruce was that he'd go through it so damn fast. I had to reinforce his wooden dummy with automobile parts so he could train on it without breaking it. I had started to build him a mobile dummy that could actually attack and retreat to better simulate "live" combat, sadly Bruce died before the machine was built. It would have been strung up by big high-tension cables that I was going to connect between two posts, one on either side of his backyard. The reason for the machine was simply because no one could stand up to his full force punches and kicks, Bruce's strength and skill had evolved to point where he had to fight machines."
    "He never trained in a gym, he thought he could concentrate better at home, so he worked out on his patio. He had a small weight set, something like a standard 100lb cast-iron set. In addition, he had a 310lb Olympic barbell set, a bench press and some dumbbells, both solid and adjustable."
    "Bruce used to beat all other comers at this type of wrist wrestling and even joked that he wanted to be world champion at it."
    James Coburn
    "Bruce and I were training out on my patio one day, we were using this giant bag for side kicks, I guess it weighed about 150lbs. Bruce looked at it and just went Bang, it shot up out into the lawn about 15ft in the air, it then busted in the middle. It was filled with little bits and pieces of rag, we were picking up bits of rag for months."
    Jesse Glover
    "When he could do push ups on his thumbs and push ups with 250lbs on his back, he moved on to other exercises."
    "The power that Lee was capable of instantly generating was absolutely frightening to his fellow martial artists, especially his sparring partners, and his speed was equally intimidating. We timed him with an electric timer once, and Bruce's quickest movements were around five hundredths of a second, his slowest were around eight hundredths. This was punching from a relaxed position with his hands down at his sides from a distance between 18-24 inches. Not only was he amazingly quick, but he could read you too. He could pick up on small subtle things that you were getting ready to do and then he'd just shut you down."
    "Bruce was gravitating more and more toward weight training as he would use the weighted wall pulleys and do series upon series with them. He'd also grab one of the old rusty barbells that littered the floor at the YMCA and would roll it up and down his forearms, which is no small feat when you consider that the barbell weighed 70lbs."
    Jim Kelly
    "Bruce, well I can basically say this. I have been around a lot of great martial arts fighters. Worked out with them. Fought them in tournaments. In my opinion Bruce Lee was the greatest martial artist who ever lived. To me thats my opinion. I think Bruce Lee is the greatest martial artist ever. I don't think anybody is in his class."
    Joe Lewis
    "Bruce was incredibly strong for his size. He could take a 75lb barbell and from a standing position with the barbell held flush against his chest, he could slowly stick his arms out, lock them and hold the barbell there for 20 seconds, that's pretty damn tough for a guy who at the time only weighed 138lbs. I know 200lb weight lifters who can't do that."
    " I never stood in front of another human who was as quick as him. He not only had the quickness but he had the inner confidence to muster the conviction to do so. I've seen others who had the speed but lack conviction or vice versa. He was like Ali, he had both. I stood before both of these men, so I know."
    "If Bruce Lee wasn´t the greatest martial artist of all time, then certainly he is the number one candidate." (Source)
    Leo Fong
    "Yes, I was on the receiving end of his side kick. It was like getting hit with a truck."
    Mito Uhera
    "Bruce always felt that if your stomach wasn't developed, then you had no business doing any hard sparring."
    James Rage
    "I think its important for people to realize that he was not only one of history's greatest martial artists, but also one of the finest athletes period. His devotion to physical exercise and healthy lifestyle was mind-boggling."

The man was freaking amazing.
    My workout vids-http://www.putfile.com/world_in_union

Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Amzing stuff. His book, Tao of Jeet Kune Do has been a source of insperation and knowledge for years. It's applications reach far beyond martial arts...
    something clever and witty

braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000)
    I still think practically all of those "feats" are bunk (besides the movie monetary figures). There are no credible sources; the webpages that display those feats are disputed. Just check out source #10. Unfortunately, all of the quotes also fall under this category.

The thread poster's feat is obviously false.

I am very sure he was capable of incredible strength to bodyweight ratio feats, but certainly not on the level that these feats are trying to imply, heh. Maybe you can chalk it up to the scientific sketicism in me, but without sources or viable proof, arguments as well as feats are worthless. Bruce Lee is a legend, and with any legend, facts are distorted by time.

edit: yeah, go to source 10 and check out the quotes (there's more than listed on the wikipedia site AND none are referenced at all). A bunch of them will conflict with each other... one guy says 70 lb DB in one arm, another says a 75 lb barbell and yet another says a 125 lb barbell. heh.
    Last edited by braindx; 05-31-2006 at 03:11 AM.

JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by braindx
    I still think practically all of those "feats" are bunk (besides the movie monetary figures). There are no credible sources; the webpages that display those feats are disputed. Just check out source #10. Unfortunately, all of the quotes also fall under this category.

The thread poster's feat is obviously false.

I am very sure he was capable of incredible strength to bodyweight ratio feats, but certainly not on the level that these feats are trying to imply, heh. Maybe you can chalk it up to the scientific sketicism in me, but without sources or viable proof, arguments as well as feats are worthless. Bruce Lee is a legend, and with any legend, facts are distorted by time.

edit: yeah, go to source 10 and check out the quotes (there's more than listed on the wikipedia site AND none are referenced at all). A bunch of them will conflict with each other... one guy says 70 lb DB in one arm, another says a 75 lb barbell and yet another says a 125 lb barbell. heh.
    You have obviously never watched a Bruce Lee movie,

Gambino will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gambino will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gambino will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gambino will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gambino will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gambino will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gambino will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gambino will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gambino will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gambino will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gambino will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would expect that of bruce lee, anything less and he wouldnt be the legend he is, however Im also skeptic, but im also a skeptic of Wilt Chamberlin scoring 100 points in a game, but after Kobes 80 something I will belive so I do belive most of his feats

wow strong hands world_in_union's Avatar
    world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by FrankVista
    He was sub 140lbs & it'd be reasonably fair to say this is roughly equivalent to a 300lb bench which seems incredible to me for such a small guy.

Well, whats with all the threads on here about size and strength not being related?
    My workout vids-http://www.putfile.com/world_in_union

braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by JC-orginalbdass
    You have obviously never watched a Bruce Lee movie,
    Since when did movies model real life?

Originally Posted by Gambino
    I would expect that of bruce lee, anything less and he wouldnt be the legend he is, however Im also skeptic, but im also a skeptic of Wilt Chamberlin scoring 100 points in a game, but after Kobes 80 something I will belive so I do belive most of his feats
    Except Chamberlin's feat is actually documented WITH video proof and also by many, MANY eyewitness accounts. Bruce Lee was very private with his workouts and only a few people were close to him to see him workout. If you ever try to argue something in the court of law, few eyewitness accounts can be convoluted and contradictory in nature which is why it is good to have something other than that as proof. True, there is some documented proof of feats such as with his 1 inch punches, but that doesn't tell us much about how much strength or power he could generate lifting weights. Just about how efficient he was about converting movement to power. His 1 inch punch wasn't even the correct technical form of the real 1 inch punch that is performed by the martial artists in Asia.

Take a look, for instance, at the "feat" of him riding 10 minutes in 45 minutes with a pile of sweat. That's approximately 13 mph -- the best cyclists nowadays ride around 40-45+ mph at a constant pace for hundreds of miles and don't nearly sweat a "whole puddle".

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I would take the "facts" you read about Bruce Lee with a bit of salt

aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Could be, could also be a bit exaggerated. The man was a freak either way.

Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the best cyclists nowadays ride around 40-45+ mph at a constant pace for hundreds of miles and don't nearly sweat a "whole puddle".

"Czech cyclist Ondrej Sosenka has set a new world one-hour cycling record, riding an amazing 49.7 km in 60 minutes. The previous record of 49,441 m was set by Britain's Chris Boardman five years ago."

- http://www.radio.cz/en/article/68724

That's roughly 31 miles.

Try and at least no a lil something about what you talk about it. And as for the sweating, take a look at that guy...
    Last edited by Josiah; 05-31-2006 at 01:32 PM.
    something clever and witty

bradler will become famous soon enough. (+50) bradler will become famous soon enough. (+50) bradler will become famous soon enough. (+50) bradler will become famous soon enough. (+50) bradler will become famous soon enough. (+50) bradler will become famous soon enough. (+50) bradler will become famous soon enough. (+50) bradler will become famous soon enough. (+50) bradler will become famous soon enough. (+50) bradler will become famous soon enough. (+50) bradler will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    did anyone else think of the chuck norris "facts" while reading this? not saying its false or anything, but damn...if the guy did at least one of those things (besides the movie stuff), then he deserves to be the legend he is now.

Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There's a video of bruce lee doing one handed pushups with two fingers only. That is freaking impressive.

Architect of Aggression One Man Army's Avatar
    One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Uriel_da_man
    I would take the "facts" you read about Bruce Lee with a bit of salt

I agree....they just add to the legend of him.....I would say most are FALSE.........they are kept alive just for occasions like this so people on message boards, etc. can look at them and say in essence "gee golly Bruce Lee sure was the man wasnt he?"

unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    the best cyclists nowadays ride around 40-45+ mph at a constant pace for hundreds of miles and don't nearly sweat a "whole puddle".

holy **** lmao!!!

your are an idiot!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA HA HAHA

HA!
    WHO DAT

ZFan89 is a complete loser! (-2000) ZFan89 is a complete loser! (-2000) ZFan89 is a complete loser! (-2000) ZFan89 is a complete loser! (-2000) ZFan89 is a complete loser! (-2000) ZFan89 is a complete loser! (-2000) ZFan89 is a complete loser! (-2000) ZFan89 is a complete loser! (-2000) ZFan89 is a complete loser! (-2000) ZFan89 is a complete loser! (-2000) ZFan89 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    I love how people (maily my roommate) try to learn Bruce Lee's style of fighting just because it was him doing it.
    I think I'm going to copy Ronnie's training routine because he's huge...

unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ZFan89
    I love how people (maily my roommate) try to learn Bruce Lee's style of fighting just because it was him doing it.
    I think I'm going to copy Ronnie's training routine because he's huge...
    wow, how did you get your rep power back man?
    WHO DAT

ZFan89 is a complete loser! (-2000) ZFan89 is a complete loser! (-2000) ZFan89 is a complete loser! (-2000) ZFan89 is a complete loser! (-2000) ZFan89 is a complete loser! (-2000) ZFan89 is a complete loser! (-2000) ZFan89 is a complete loser! (-2000) ZFan89 is a complete loser! (-2000) ZFan89 is a complete loser! (-2000) ZFan89 is a complete loser! (-2000) ZFan89 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally Posted by unclejeff
    I'm God

gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Oh yeah, well Chuck Norris can squat a volvo, I saw it on a spanish TV show. And he can rip out your heart and show it too you before you die, oh and he is so fast, you need slow-motion photography to see him move.

It's all true. I saw it on the internet.
    oh and gecko that link did not contain answers only the search page - swiftness_02

The foods that trigger ketosis are high in carbs, not sugars - michaeldude

Originally Posted by ZFan89
    I'm God
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    zfan owns norris and lee, he is god!!
    WHO DAT

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    zfan owns norris and lee, he is god!!
    Capitalize my name when you speak of me

Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    He slept with one of the female mods. There's a video of it floating around someplace.....

Originally Posted by Canadian Iron
    He slept with one of the female mods. There's a video of it floating around someplace.....
    Yes, it's on the Big Dong's website

CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by FrankVista
    I was reading up some facts about Bruce Lee. Apparently he could do pushups with 250lbs on his back. He was sub 140lbs & it'd be reasonably fair to say this is roughly equivalent to a 300lb bench which seems incredible to me for such a small guy.

That's very impressive for someone his size, but I don't think it necessarily carries over to the bench press. I can do pushups with 250+ lbs on my back, but my bench is only about 210. Go figure .

Either way, Bruce was an amazing martial artist. I used to train with two of his students from back in the day (Dan Inosanto and Maha Guru Victor de Thours) and heard some incredible stories. Look them up if you're a Bruce fan .

-C10

NyczFinest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Nah the things UnionWorld said is Mostly True, i was watchin his documentary on t.v and it showed BRUCE LEe performing 2 finger push ups, , LIFTING HUGE ASS DUMBELLS WIT ONE HANDS I DIDNT KBNOW WEIGHT BUT IT WAS ****EN HUGE and like 5 people holding a bag which he did a side kick and they would fly back at least 10 feet, THEY HAVE VIDEO PROOF STUPID ASS BRAINDX U DONT KNOW WTF U TALKIN ABOUT, ITS PEOPLE LIKE U TAT MAKE PEOPLE LIKE BRUCE LEE LOOK BAD, and those people tat were talking about the weights on his dumbells were probably exaggerating but im pretty sure it was in the range of 70-80

raprazant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raprazant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raprazant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raprazant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raprazant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raprazant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raprazant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raprazant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raprazant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raprazant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raprazant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    please, keep this crap in the misc forum.
    Pumping Iron in Valhalla