Page 52 of 325 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 152 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 9749
    2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by toad1 View Post
    at a glance id say hooker you don't need to be 'big' to be a hooker plus all the 'small' kids who are forwards seem to be hookers these days. most clubs these days want back rows and props to be 6 foot plus and 2nd row to be even taller. i play lose head and i'm 5'8 but want to move to hooker, ull know if your a back or a forward. as for training as long as it rugby specfic and power/strength based you should be fine

on the full back thing id say fitness and postioning are the most important thing as youl do alot and alot of cover running from side to side and bitching at your back line the best full backs i know are really 'moany' and vocal on the park. you can't be to fast and just make sure your faster than your pack.
    Originally Posted by BobisMighty View Post
    I don't think I'd worry too much about position specific training just yet, considering you need to figure out what position you are. I've only been playing a few years and I've gotten moved around quite a bit. I started at lock, i'm now a flanker (either side), and occasionally i've played outside center and wing. My coach in college told me he started me at lock so that they could use my strength while I learned the game and got a sense of field position so I wouldn't be running in the way of the backs.

That being said, squats and agility training can't hurt anyone in this game.
    Appreciate the info and help fellas, repped.
    Fitness Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107651531

Snowman723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snowman723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snowman723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snowman723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snowman723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snowman723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snowman723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snowman723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snowman723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snowman723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snowman723 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Dom_88 View Post
    You need to work on your timing for jumping to catch it. Being the kick off receiver is extra hard b/c you need to be aware of your next play after you have the ball. The biggest mistake people make is get nervous about the on-comers. While you're in the air, they very likely won't touch you. Just hold it tight to your body and don't get caught facing the wrong side.
    Thing is...people smoke me in the air literally ALL the time and the ref never calls it.

When they kick deep its fine but the short ones where the guys get a 10m run at me before taking me out is really annoying, and the other team sees that it rattles me so they do it over and over again!
    Position: Number 8 & Lock
    Height: 6'4
    Weight: 105kg

"Rugby players are born and made into Athletes"
    Welsh Proverb

monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Snowman723 View Post
    Thing is...people smoke me in the air literally ALL the time and the ref never calls it.

When they kick deep its fine but the short ones where the guys get a 10m run at me before taking me out is really annoying, and the other team sees that it rattles me so they do it over and over again!
    Yeh man I have the EXACT same problem.

I think its mostly psychological. Some seasons/games I catch the kick off's with confidence, other seasons/games Im shocking at it.

Positive thinking, your good enough to be in the team so your good enough to take the ball, etc etc I think is the way through it. Practice wouldn't hurt either I spose, got a few friends who can kick/run at you?

EDIT: And yeh Iv been smoked in the air countless times and the ref lets it go. Seems to be a rule they dont take to heart much before the pro-levels.
    Official Rugby training thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107034291

That's how you get ants. BobisMighty's Avatar
    BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by hitrucks View Post
    How well would weighted squat jumps help your explosion in the scrum?
    I think they would help a good deal. Might want to pair it with other explosive leg exercises though. Like box jumps.

Beatdown_Boy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatdown_Boy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatdown_Boy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatdown_Boy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatdown_Boy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatdown_Boy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatdown_Boy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatdown_Boy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatdown_Boy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatdown_Boy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatdown_Boy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ruga buga View Post
    thanks for the reply bro!

that is real in-depth and I agree with you full-on. I have played in the forwards since I started playing rugby but I have a great feel for the game and understand how to play the positions(all except 10 and 9)

I played quite a bit of 8th man the last few 2 seasons so my play at the back is pretty solid but obviously if i go into the position at the back I will learn the ins and outs of positioning ect...

ruga buga

i would say technically, you need to have good hands, for both passing and catching. Youll need to be great under the high ball, and your defense will need to be outstanding. Depending on how good your team is, and what you want to do with your rugby matters on how you should train. if you're team often lets people through and you're going to need to chase people down, i would say work on your speed. Generally, i would say a fullback needs to be faster than the average centre anyway.
    if you intend to play rugby for your clubs first string side, or you want to play semi pro or pro, i would say work on your speed and acceleration no matter how good your team is. this is the option i would go with.

In the gym, i would say work on a lot of endurance, with some explosive exercises in their anyway. Fitness wise, im doing about 10km, 3 days a week, and 3km worth of sprints twice a week, as a prop. all depending where your fitness is at currently, i would really work on that. fitness is huge in rugby as you would know.
    practice each type of kick 50 times a night, 100 times with your passing. i play utility prop, and a bit of hooker, so i do 100 lineouts, 100 passes to each side over 10m plus some scrum work.

so skill wise, think of the things you can practice by yourself which just take practice to perfect, and then practice the hell out of it. Physically, make sure your fitness, speed, and acceleration are above average. Nothing you wouldnt already know, but it works well.

Beatdown_Boy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatdown_Boy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatdown_Boy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatdown_Boy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatdown_Boy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatdown_Boy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatdown_Boy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatdown_Boy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatdown_Boy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatdown_Boy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatdown_Boy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

that blows man, if the ref isnt doing anything about it, speak to your captain as soon as it happens, and they should speak to the ref about it straight away.

also, if you can manage to do it, try jump into them. if your going to get hurt, find the most painful way for them to take you out of the air. if you can manage to bring them down with you somehow, bonus!

JayJayz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayJayz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayJayz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayJayz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayJayz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayJayz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayJayz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayJayz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayJayz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayJayz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayJayz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i am an absolutely mad keen rugby league fan and i had played it for one season a few years ago...

i play alot of golf as well and what i was wondering is if the explosive muscle contractions in a golf swing could possibly transfer over to explosive movements needed to play rugby?

i would like to know what training i should be doing for increasing my sprinting speed and other areas i may need to work on.

currently i train like this; bench presses, deads and squats are my main focuses all on diffferent days then i add in supplementary exercises like days when i bench ill add in some incline db presses and train arms as well with ez bar curls no triceps training. after deads i dont do any other back exercises after squats i do 45' leg presses.

i dont hardly run, but i do a ton of skipping, maybe 15 minutes 5-7 times a week of very high intensity.

i also do sets of 40 push ups at a time, over 1000 push ups a week.

i feel as though i have very good explosive power but i dont have much to compare it to.

what do you think i should add or take away from my routine?

may i say i always train 100% intensity on every exercise and esp deads by the end i have done 5 sets of heavy deads and i am dead so i dont need any more back exercises i feel the deads hit me good enough, only thing i really think i need to add is pull ups as i dont train my lats, i dont know how important it is.

monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000)

And just in case you weren't doing it:

a) Jump with your one knee pulled up into your chest (so if they tackle you they run into your knee)

or

b) Jump with your back to them so you at least fall the right way and maintaint possesion
    Official Rugby training thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107034291

MiKeOnE29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MiKeOnE29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MiKeOnE29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MiKeOnE29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MiKeOnE29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MiKeOnE29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MiKeOnE29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MiKeOnE29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MiKeOnE29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MiKeOnE29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MiKeOnE29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I just wanting abit of advice here. i feel that i am at an important point in my development and basically i need to bulk up more. Im 17 play fullback, my height is 5 foot 8 and my weight is 11 stone 5 with an empty stomach. i've started to really eat more and drink more water during the day and ive been on a muscle and weight gainer for about 4/5 months and before this i was about 10 stone 8 on an empty stomach. So its clear its working. i've also been working out in the gym doing weight's and rowing on top of sprint/fitness work.

What i want to know is how much time i just be doing what ideally. At the moment im playing on saturday for the 2nd team,was moved up to play with them after playing for the 3rds (first year of senior rugby), then have a game on the sunday for the colts. I'm training on tuesday with the first team and second team, on wednesday im doing my weights and on thursday im training with the colts then finishing with the seconds. on monday and friday i am resting.

My week looks like this

Monday - rest
    Tuesday - training
    Wednesday - weights
    Thursday - training
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - game
    Sunday - game

its a pretty heavey work load i guess i will always rest on friday as its the day before the game and have been resting on the monday because its the day after. I've been thinking about doing my weights on the monday as well wednesday so the only rest day that i would have is friday. Do you guys think i should leave it as it is seeing as i have put on half a stone or should do the extra weights on monday or will this end up being too much? Any help would be great. If it would help if i were post what weights im doing at the gym ect. just ask.

and for referance to what standard im playing the first team is in the national league three south so that give a general idea at how good the 2nds and 3rds are
    Last edited by MiKeOnE29; 11-09-2008 at 12:41 PM.

Snowman723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snowman723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snowman723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snowman723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snowman723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snowman723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snowman723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snowman723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snowman723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snowman723 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snowman723 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by monatu View Post
    And just in case you weren't doing it:

a) Jump with your one knee pulled up into your chest (so if they tackle you they run into your knee)

or

b) Jump with your back to them so you at least fall the right way and maintaint possesion
    Textbook stuff really but still sound advice. I tend to turn my body so my side is to the opposition rather than my back, buts thats also because I always come in from the side-line towards the ball

I gives the same result as giving up your back but you protect that area

Welsh Proverb

biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Unhappy

Some good stuff but I don't agree with how you described offensive and defensive linemen. If you are fat you will play here, and you said you don't have to be smart to play on the d-line. Give me a break dude. Funny stuff. Just exactly what position did you play? I am retired now but I will always be an o-lineman. I can look past those comments but how bout some high school kid that sees that? Thats a really good way to pump them up about playing the most overlooked position on the field. It's all about encouragement and I just can't seem to find it there.
    ^^FORMER 300+ Pound Crew^^

If you fall down 7 times, stand up 8!

Oops back to cutting PowerBuilder08's Avatar
    PowerBuilder08 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowerBuilder08 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowerBuilder08 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowerBuilder08 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowerBuilder08 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowerBuilder08 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowerBuilder08 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowerBuilder08 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowerBuilder08 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowerBuilder08 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowerBuilder08 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by biggin66 View Post
    you don't have to be smart to play on the d-line. Give me a break dude. Funny stuff.
    I play DL and I agree 100% with teri. It's all about knowing what gap you're hitting, and attacking and reacting. Not nearly as much thinking involved as the OL has.
    U.S. Army Veteran

B.A. Kinesiology

Powerlifting Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175783781

biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    What level are we talking about playing here? Do you know how many stunts, twists, and blitzes a d-lineman has to know. They have to be able to read an offensive lineman to know what is coming at them. They have to learn great technique. They have to be able to look into the backfield and see the formation then recall what plays were ran out of that during film study. I agree to some extent but there is alot of thinking involved with any position on the field. Prolly kickers and snappers have it the best but those are best high pressure jobs. Nothin is easy.

Oops back to cutting PowerBuilder08's Avatar
    PowerBuilder08 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowerBuilder08 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowerBuilder08 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowerBuilder08 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowerBuilder08 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowerBuilder08 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowerBuilder08 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowerBuilder08 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowerBuilder08 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowerBuilder08 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowerBuilder08 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by biggin66 View Post
    What level are we talking about playing here? Do you know how many stunts, twists, and blitzes a d-lineman has to know. They have to be able to read an offensive lineman to know what is coming at them. They have to learn great technique. They have to be able to look into the backfield and see the formation then recall what plays were ran out of that during film study. I agree to some extent but there is alot of thinking involved with any position on the field. Prolly kickers and snappers have it the best but those are best high pressure jobs. Nothin is easy.
    I agree with you, I played at the DIII level and coached at the DII level. There is a lot to remember, but the point made is that you know your play and do like the play says, the end. With offensive lineman, their entire blocking scheme can change because of something like a blitz, a disguised coverage, etc.
    U.S. Army Veteran

B.A. Kinesiology

Powerlifting Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175783781

I give you reps. I enjoy a good discussion. Im sending you a private message.

Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000)
    I agree that DL/OL are misrepresented in this thread. Saying "you're fat, you play here" is no way of getting kids to WANT to play. I know it's a joke around thing (heck I get it and I'm not even fat, but I play DT), but I don't think it should be in a thread devoted to informing and encouraging the participation in football. OL/DL have to work damn hard, and unfortunately they don't get the credit they deserve 90% of the time, but I wouldn't want to switch anything else because when it's all over, the trench war will decide the game.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Gandalf The Grey

Originally Posted by Vermonta View Post
    I agree that DL/OL are misrepresented in this thread. Saying "you're fat, you play here" is no way of getting kids to WANT to play. I know it's a joke around thing (heck I get it and I'm not even fat, but I play DT), but I don't think it should be in a thread devoted to informing and encouraging the participation in football. OL/DL have to work damn hard, and unfortunately they don't get the credit they deserve 90% of the time, but I wouldn't want to switch anything else because when it's all over, the trench war will decide the game.
    Damn right! Repped

graphyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) graphyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) graphyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) graphyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) graphyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) graphyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) graphyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) graphyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) graphyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) graphyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) graphyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    alright guide, bit basic but good enough for a beginner
    off-season goals: current/goal

bench: 295lbs/315lbs
    squat: 400lbs/450lbs
    deadlift: 350lbs/400lbs
    40 dash: 5.0 / 4.8
    weight: 176lbs/190lbs

need 2k more rep points :D will rep back please thanks.

The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    just my .02 to the man who thinks fat ppl play dl , but i think DE is probably the hardest position to train for/also the most rewarding. but damn, DE has to stop run like a DT, rush QB like a LB, and rember plays like S. and not to mention the technique....good DE's are hard 2 find
    I rep U.S. Marines on sight.

9/26 - 165lb, 245 bench, 345 squat, 430 deadlift ,205 powerclean, 4.75 40, Must haz moar speedz and x-plosion :(

5'6" and completly flat-footed with almost 0% arch
    Rugby right now...hopefully can be a runningback next year for football
    Everyone wants to fight until they get punched in the mouth
    Negged because I refused to nuthug a cocky f*ggot

S&C Coach/ Rugby Coach GregNuthurst's Avatar
    GregNuthurst is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregNuthurst is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregNuthurst is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregNuthurst is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregNuthurst is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregNuthurst is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregNuthurst is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregNuthurst is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregNuthurst is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregNuthurst is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregNuthurst is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by monatu View Post
    Is the website in your sig the thing you said you were working on?
    Let us know when its up and running.
    Guys,

If rugbystrengthcoach isn't up and running yet, it will only be a few days off. I've negotiated some free stuff for the guys from this thread and will post some info here later this week. Check out the site if it's up. I know Cal has put up a offer on there to join the newsletter (and yes I know we all probably receive 50 already) but if you wanna get access to some really great rugby and s&c brains for free, sign up.
    http://www.rugbycoaching.org

Frodo14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    good stuff, i could do with some more rugby specific training.

I'm fed up of getting smashed!

ruga buga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ruga buga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ruga buga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ruga buga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ruga buga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ruga buga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ruga buga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ruga buga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ruga buga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ruga buga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ruga buga has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by GregNuthurst View Post
    Guys,

If rugbystrengthcoach isn't up and running yet, it will only be a few days off. I've negotiated some free stuff for the guys from this thread and will post some info here later this week. Check out the site if it's up. I know Cal has put up a offer on there to join the newsletter (and yes I know we all probably receive 50 already) but if you wanna get access to some really great rugby and s&c brains for free, sign up.

Currently eating

cadengrant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cadengrant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cadengrant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cadengrant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cadengrant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cadengrant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cadengrant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by teriyakisaki View Post

Head-on:
    When making the tackle head-on in a hole, it???s all about being low and (here it comes again) aggressive. Exact head position is not that important. I wear a butterfly collar and have a pretty strong neck so for me, its no biggy putting my facemask right into their chest. Most people put their head to the ball side.
    It seems like you know what you're talking about at most part but this is some very bad advice. Every coach discourages this, as it can ruin your back and cause injury possibly resulting in being paralyzed. It's happened many times in the NFL, college, and high school, and it's happened to me. So for anybody I suggest you dont do head on, it's not the right way to tackle.

Guys,

Sweet deal

can't wait to check it out

Welsh Proverb

Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What are some neck strengthening excercise? I just started playing prop/ hooker this season, and **** me my neck was sore the next day. Since the season is over I was going to try and prevent this soreness next season.

Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by cadengrant View Post
    It seems like you know what you're talking about at most part but this is some very bad advice. Every coach discourages this, as it can ruin your back and cause injury possibly resulting in being paralyzed. It's happened many times in the NFL, college, and high school, and it's happened to me. So for anybody I suggest you dont do head on, it's not the right way to tackle.
    Agreed, that is horrible advice for tackling and can really get someone hurt. Three years ago someone got paralyzed in a game playing our school tackling that way.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Gandalf The Grey

Location: edinburgh, scotland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Frannycakes View Post
    What are some neck strengthening excercise? I just started playing prop/ hooker this season, and **** me my neck was sore the next day. Since the season is over I was going to try and prevent this soreness next season.

how long have you been playing front row, as the pain soreness should go away after you have been playing it for awhile about 3months or so. ive been playing prop for 5years know and ive never really had any neck issues but i do naturally have quite a big neck if you could call my neck a neck.

instead of focusing directly on your neck id look at developing your traps and shoulders more and also on your back strength as although having a strong neck is going to help alot i don't feel it is essential for scrummaging or rugby, try make your neck disappear. i try to stick to compound movements so look at doing shrugs, deadlifts, military press etc, however having said this ive seen the pro like andy sheridan doing work on his neck.

unless you have a really good gym or go2 to a rugby gym trying to find neck belts etc can be hard. but if you have the equipment then you can do neck raises, or look at this http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...ainMuscle=Neck.
    people ask me how to train, and i answer "i look at what you do and then i do the exact oposite"

if your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day

Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by toad1 View Post
    how long have you been playing front row, as the pain soreness should go away after you have been playing it for awhile about 3months or so. ive been playing prop for 5years know and ive never really had any neck issues but i do naturally have quite a big neck if you could call my neck a neck.

instead of focusing directly on your neck id look at developing your traps and shoulders more and also on your back strength as although having a strong neck is going to help alot i don't feel it is essential for scrummaging or rugby, try make your neck disappear. i try to stick to compound movements so look at doing shrugs, deadlifts, military press etc, however having said this ive seen the pro like andy sheridan doing work on his neck.

unless you have a really good gym or go2 to a rugby gym trying to find neck belts etc can be hard. but if you have the equipment then you can do neck raises, or look at this http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...ainMuscle=Neck.
    This is my 4th year playing but halfway through the season our coach put me in at loosehead one day because we were short a guy, and I was the biggest flanker/8man (and a few weeks later did the same thing at hooker). So less than 2 months. I do those exercises plus other back/ shoulder exercises. Won't the soreness come back the beginning of next season though? I just don't want to have to deal with that all over again for the next 4 years (we have spring and fall seasons, so it'd be twice a year).

Guys,

Awesome. Signed up

Originally Posted by Frannycakes View Post
    This is my 4th year playing but halfway through the season our coach put me in at loosehead one day because we were short a guy, and I was the biggest flanker/8man (and a few weeks later did the same thing at hooker). So less than 2 months. I do those exercises plus other back/ shoulder exercises. Won't the soreness come back the beginning of next season though? I just don't want to have to deal with that all over again for the next 4 years (we have spring and fall seasons, so it'd be twice a year).
    no, you wont get it every season, and on the off chance you do, it will be for about a week. is it the muscles that are sore, or is it the skin being rubbed?

it may also be incorrect technique in the scrum. try to look forwards in the scrum, not downwars, otherwise more pressure is placed on your neck.

Page 52 of 325 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 152 ... LastLast