I sweat BCAAs and sea H2O JoeyTS's Avatar
    JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Question How long before starting strength kicks your a$$?

I have recently got back into the gym after some time off. I went with a program VERY similar to Rippetoe's.

Its an awsome program, and I can see it definately beats the hell out of 4 and 5 day split training (for me).

My question is brought about by the Squats and Deadlifts days when they fall on Mon and Fri in one week--talk about hard core. At first it is cake, but once the weights start increasing I know its gonna be brutal. Yesterday I felt like I pushed a truck 10 miles uphill after my Squats and Deads, and I am only in week 2 LOL. Don't get me wrong--I love the workout--I only wounder at what point it may be too much for twice a week?

How long where you able to handle Rippetoe's Starting Strength, or a close variation, and make constant increase on major lifts each workout?
    Upper/Lower program write-up:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160554001&p=1215242691&viewfull=1#post1215242691

dixieboy17 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dixieboy17 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dixieboy17 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dixieboy17 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dixieboy17 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dixieboy17 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dixieboy17 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dixieboy17 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dixieboy17 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dixieboy17 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dixieboy17 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    ive been on this program and i do squats and deads 3 times a week, my squat has went up somewhere around 20 pounds in 3 weeks just keep on goin man i can't say anything else
    CURRENT STATS..........................JUNE 1ST, 2007
    height-5'11................................6'0
    weight-181................................220
    bench-145.................................275
    squat-205.................................365
    40 time-5.45.............................4.95

Fat BB'er or weak PL'er Guinness5.0's Avatar
    Guinness5.0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Guinness5.0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Guinness5.0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Guinness5.0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Guinness5.0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Guinness5.0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Guinness5.0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Guinness5.0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Guinness5.0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Guinness5.0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Guinness5.0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Since you're returning form a layoff, I would think that you will get back to your past strength levels quickly. I think in your case you would likely stall faster than a completely 'fresh' trainee.

So if I were in your position, I would lighten the load a bit and ramp more slowly - take a few (like 4) weeks to work up to a weight you know you could do now and build gradually from there. That will allow you to add weight in weekly increments for a longer period of time and (IMHO) you will net greater gains than if you 'blow your load" in a couple of weeks. Once you stall out hard, then it will be time to move on to something like HST or 5x5 or something along those lines, depending on where you want to go from there and what you want to focus on.

That's how I would approach it, anyway.
    Last edited by Guinness5.0; 05-09-2006 at 03:30 PM.

Half Norse, Half Animal VikingMan's Avatar
    VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by JoeyTS
    I only wounder at what point it may be too much for twice a week?
    I'd say it depends on how much weight your lifting, and how your body feels.

If you're only dead lifting 200, then twice a week isn't going to hurt at all. If it was 400, then obviously, that's a bit much. So, somewhere inbetween there will come a point when you have to switch to a different program or modify Rippetoe slightly. When that comes, congrats, Rippetoe is doing it's job!

Second, listen to your body. If the thought of dead lifting again this week makes you want to stay in bed in the morning, then I wouldn't be to afraid of tossing a second dead lift. There may be a gray period where you aren't quite ready for 5X5, but your outgrowing Rippetoe. Just play it by ear.

The other option is to make one of the days, when they fall twice in the week, a medium day. So lets say you worked up to a maximum set on Monday of 275 X 5. If you are feeling kinda crappy, then just drop the weight on the friday set by 10% or so. That work will still be immensely beneficial to you, and yet it should feel pretty light. This would be a small intro to the kind of work you'll be doing on the 5X5.

Ultimately though, work hard, and keep adding the weight.
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

"Greatest Gig in the Sky" young and strong's Avatar
    young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000) young and strong is a name known to all. (+5000)
    As long as your not going to failure much and your lifts aren't that heavy you should go alright, i've been progressing on this program for the last three months
    "i dont know man i try to maintain low bw and gain stregth because what good is stregth if your using half of it to move your body. high stregth plus low body weight equals intense explosion. i think a guy like irish kid or gray horse would mess bs up in a fight due to kickness and probably better punch stregth explosion. i still wouldnt wanna fight bser though hed wreck me due to the size advantage and my legs arent up to par to make me a stregth conter" Sickonstorm

R.I.P Frvrmuscle

I sweat BCAAs and sea H2O JoeyTS's Avatar
    JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Thumbs up

After reading your responces and giving it a little time to think about my own question, I have realized something that should have been obvious. The twice a week thing is really just a preception. The deadlifts are seprated by 3 days on the "twice a week" weeks, and 4 days on the other week. That is only one day more rest on the "once a week" week. So its really a consistant pattern of either 3 or 4 days rest between repeating a given workout; and, obviously 24-48 hours rest for the body as a whole. Still not a slacker program considering most guys train a muscle group once a week.

Alright--I will bust my ass day in and day out and see where it takes me!

No more saving money... ITS ALL GOING TOWARD FOOD! I will just eat my way to recovery :P

Thanks for the replies.
    Last edited by JoeyTS; 05-10-2006 at 11:21 AM.
    Upper/Lower program write-up:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160554001&p=1215242691&viewfull=1#post1215242691

wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Joey, I doubt you could handle that much volume for too long. Have you considered doing the routine twice a week? Tuesday/Friday?

VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by wh0died
    Joey, I doubt you could handle that much volume for too long. Have you considered doing the routine twice a week? Tuesday/Friday?
    Dude, it's Rippetoe. The program has to be done 3 times a week. By it's very nature, Rippetoe is a beginner program, meaning, the amount of weight your lifting is not that high, in terms of it's percentage of your genetic potential. Dead lifting 200-300 pounds twice a week isn't going to overtrain anybody. Once the numbers have moved up, then you "graduate" to a program where the volume is more manageable, like 5X5.
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have recently got back into the gym after some time off.

How long where you able to handle Rippetoe's Starting Strength, or a close variation, and make constant increase on major lifts each workout?
    Same for me.

I am not sure when it starts whipping you. I backed off to 70% of my 5RM on each lift when I started. I figured that would give me a run at it and let me work my way into the program.

I am on week 5 and have continued to add weight to each lift every workout. I have passed all of my original 5RMs and I have not slowed down yet, though I am sure that I will at some point.

I am going to keep adding weight as long as I can. When the jumps get hard, I'll just make smaller jumps.
    Patience + Persistence = Progress. (Bill Starr, The Strongest Shall Survive)

My Journal = http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=871168

wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by VikingMan
    Dude, it's Rippetoe. The program has to be done 3 times a week. By it's very nature, Rippetoe is a beginner program, meaning, the amount of weight your lifting is not that high, in terms of it's percentage of your genetic potential. Dead lifting 200-300 pounds twice a week isn't going to overtrain anybody. Once the numbers have moved up, then you "graduate" to a program where the volume is more manageable, like 5X5.
    I know it's Rippetoe. Although I haven't purchased the book I've read about him enough. Check out this interview: http://readthecore.com/200507/trenches3.htm Almost all of the interviews I've read say the same thing, he takes a young 14-18 year old and puts them on a routine squatting three times a week and adding plates to the bar every time. Do you think you have the recovery of a 14-18 year old? No f'n way. I don't and I'm only 22.

Starr's 5x5 has you doing ONE set at maximal weights. Rippetoe's beginner's routine has you doing THREE sets at maximal weights. IMO, Joey should do this routine twice a week and squeeze as much progress he can out of it. Or do it three times a week and add a light day on Wednsday.

Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i'll tell you what i did..

because i was setting new PRs on almost all lifts almost all workouts, i used to take heavy for squats once, then take light the next time and then set a new PR the third time....
    so, it would be like this:
    Monday-Workout A- Squat 100 kgs (PR)
    Wednesday - Workout B - Squat 90 kgs
    Friday - Workout A - Squat 105 kgs (PR)
    Monday - Workout B - Squat 90 kgs
    Wednesday - Workout A - Squat 110 kgs (PR)
    Friday - Workout B - Squat 95 kgs
    and so on and so forth

now, i know this kind of weight incremints are good for me because my squat increased by 100 lbs in 8 weeks

as far as the orignal question goes:
    How long before starting strength kicks your a$$?
    when u start setting new PRs, Starting Strength kicks your ass...

best of luck

Andalite

Originally Posted by wh0died
    I know it's Rippetoe. Although I haven't purchased the book I've read about him enough. Check out this interview: http://readthecore.com/200507/trenches3.htm Almost all of the interviews I've read say the same thing, he takes a young 14-18 year old and puts them on a routine squatting three times a week and adding plates to the bar every time. Do you think you have the recovery of a 14-18 year old? No f'n way. I don't and I'm only 22.

Starr's 5x5 has you doing ONE set at maximal weights. Rippetoe's beginner's routine has you doing THREE sets at maximal weights. IMO, Joey should do this routine twice a week and squeeze as much progress he can out of it. Or do it three times a week and add a light day on Wednsday.
    It's all relative. Setting PRs when you're squatting 400 is a more taxing event than when you're setting PRs with 200. So whether or not he should be going balls to the wall on Rippetoe has to do with how much weight he's using, not how old he is. There will certainly come a point when he can no longer set PRs with that kind of regularity. Might that time come sooner because he's 27 and not 15 years old? Maybe, maybe not. But why the hell not ride this thing as far as it will take him? Don't butcher Rippetoe because you think you "might" not be able to set PRs that regularly. Just run it as long and hard as you can. Next step is 5X5. It'll pick up nicely where Rippetoe leaves off.

Until then, eat big, sleep long, and your ability to recover from the work your doing will be sufficient.

Originally Posted by VikingMan
    It's all relative. Setting PRs when you're squatting 400 is a more taxing event than when you're setting PRs with 200. So whether or not he should be going balls to the wall on Rippetoe has to do with how much weight he's using, not how old he is. There will certainly come a point when he can no longer set PRs with that kind of regularity. Might that time come sooner because he's 27 and not 15 years old? Maybe, maybe not. But why the hell not ride this thing as far as it will take him? Don't butcher Rippetoe because you think you "might" not be able to set PRs that regularly. Just run it as long and hard as you can. Next step is 5X5. It'll pick up nicely where Rippetoe leaves off.

Until then, eat big, sleep long, and your ability to recover from the work your doing will be sufficient.
    I don't think dropping a day would be "butchering" the routine. It's all on him though. If he really feels beat up after three days then I think he should drop down to two. I'd rather him work slower and progress than feel like crap and dread going to the gym.