qdogg290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

squats/long distance running

Hi,

I reintroducted squats and other leg exercises (hamstring curls, calve raises) on Monday and then ran 2 miles a few hours later. I was really sore tuesday and wednesday, but took both days. I just got back from a run, which was really affected by my leg soreness. Now, I ordinarily run 6 days a week and I know the leg soreness period is shortened some by running, but I don't know if I should just ignore working out my legs from now on. I run (more like a job) typically 2-3 miles, 6 days a week. Perhaps, I should just focus on my upper-body. I knwo squats raises the testosterone level quite a bit, and it would affect everything, but leg soreness really puts a damper on running. Thanks

farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you're into long distance running then putting mass on your legs is counter productive. I'd suggest you focus on strength training as absolute strength carries over to endurance strength so squatting for strength will actually help you run better. Some basic guidelines for strength training are never do more than 5 reps, never lift to failure, rest for 3-5 minutes between sets and exercises, use 85-95% of your 1rm most of the time. Focus on intensity and tension, not reps and exhaustion.
    "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory."

Isaiah 6:3

ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000)
    Squats and running distance do not complement each other. I have dropped out running more and more as my squatting has become more important too me in my training. You have to make a decision which one is more important to you.

I haven't totally let my conditioning go just to lift heavy however. I still run 2-3 miles once every two weeks, and every week I do either a sprint/plyo workout or do a resistence conditioning workout with sledpulls/tireflips/and kettlebells.

Just remember distance running isn't necessarily the best indicator of what kind of shape you're in. You're gonna have to decide whether you are a lifter or a runner.

And its not an all or nothing decision. You don't have to stop squatting just to run. The soreness will subside eventually, so even though your squat will always be held back, you can do both.
    Training Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142931161

Sup3rman is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sup3rman is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sup3rman is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sup3rman is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sup3rman is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sup3rman is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sup3rman is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sup3rman is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sup3rman is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sup3rman is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sup3rman is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    When I used to run XC I tried to squat and still be a decent runner. From what I experienced, it is either one or the other. I either couldn't squat because my legs were fatigued from running or I couldn't run that well because I was fatigued from working out my legs. Needless to say, I realized I would not put on any mass on my legs while running long distances. If I were you, I would cut the running to maybe 4 days a week, which could give you a day before leg workout for rest and a day after. Best of both worlds. That's just my opinion though. It's all up to what is more important to you the running or leg workouts.

llueve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) llueve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) llueve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) llueve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I used to run 6-9 miles 3-4 times weekly and I started mixing some weight lifting (squats, deadlift, bench) with that. Initially, there was some soreness during my runs, but that subsided within a couple weeks.

My experience was different than that of the other posters here. I felt so much stronger and more explosive during my runs than before I was squatting, especially running up hills. I was able to run at a good clip and I always felt that I had an extra "kick" in my legs if I wanted to use it.

Obviously it depends on your goals; if you're going to want to really excel at bodybuilding, weightlifting etc. you're not going to want to run very large weekly distances and vice-versa. However, squatting up to twice weekly while doing the running that I was doing was far more of a help than a hindrance for me. I guess it might depend on how often you run, more than how much you run. If you're running 6 times a week I don't see where you could fit in squats without interfering with the running (I wouldn't want to squat and run on the same day, but maybe that's just me)

Thanks for your help all. I know squats work for sprinting, so it's obvious that stronger legs give you a better boost. Maybe I will try it for a few week, I hope I won't go backwards from overtraining. Does this apply to hamstrings as well?

GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    12-18 miles a week really isn't that high of a mileage schedule in the scheme of things. I would think at that level, striking a balance between the running and squats is very acheivable.

Yeah, I was talking to some long distance runner at my school and he mentioned that he did 5-15 miles, 6 days a week. Olympic runners supposedly do 150 miles a week.

jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    i agree that 2 miles is by no meaningfull measure 'distance' running.
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ★cVc★ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆ Roflcopter Crew ☆☆☆☆☆
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆ PC Master Race ☆☆☆☆☆
    ☆ /\^/\^Misc Colorado Crew^/\^/\☆

ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jmonty
    i agree that 2 miles is by no meaningfull measure 'distance' running.
    it may not be a marathon, but it sure as hell ain't anabolic
    Training Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142931161

You think it's fine to do a 2-3 mile run a few hours after working my legs w/ weights, or would that result in muscle damage over a long period of time

llueve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) llueve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) llueve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) llueve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's fine as long as you keep good running form. If you are exhausted from the weights and you start to run funny then you'll end up giving yourself shin splints or worse.

Thanks. I may only take 1 day off from running everyweek. Typically, I do squats, hamstring curls, and calf raises 1 day a week

Xc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xc is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I Squat heavy during the off season (of cross country), and during I dont even do a leg routine normaly (i might do a leg day if i skip a day of practice, but that rarely happens), since i abuse my legs enough during the season.

jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by ArchDukeOfTops
    it may not be a marathon, but it sure as hell ain't anabolic
    yeah, i guess running 2 miles intensely would be a little different than at a 10min/mile pace. or for some people it might be the same.

myself, i abhor running since i am in colorado.
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ★cVc★ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆ Roflcopter Crew ☆☆☆☆☆
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆ PC Master Race ☆☆☆☆☆
    ☆ /\^/\^Misc Colorado Crew^/\^/\☆

farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ArchDukeOfTops
    Squats and running distance do not complement each other. I have dropped out running more and more as my squatting has become more important too me in my training. You have to make a decision which one is more important to you.

I haven't totally let my conditioning go just to lift heavy however. I still run 2-3 miles once every two weeks, and every week I do either a sprint/plyo workout or do a resistence conditioning workout with sledpulls/tireflips/and kettlebells.

Just remember distance running isn't necessarily the best indicator of what kind of shape you're in. You're gonna have to decide whether you are a lifter or a runner.

And its not an all or nothing decision. You don't have to stop squatting just to run. The soreness will subside eventually, so even though your squat will always be held back, you can do both.
    From what i've read absolute strength training has carryover to endurance strength training but not the other way around.
    "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory."

Isaiah 6:3

I lost a lot of weight running 2-3 miles at a pretty slow pace, but yet I still don't have a flat stomach or chest. If I increased my pace for the same distance, would it work towards a better body?

Rowdy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rowdy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rowdy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rowdy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rowdy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I run and do squats with no ill effects. Although I only do squats one day a week. I average 6-8 miles on my long runs.

Switch up your workouts. I do a speed workout once a week. I warm up by running just over a mile real easy. I do ten sprints that are about 100 yds. long uphill and then warm down with another mile. I will do an out and back run. I will time myself on the way out and try to beat it on the way back. I will usually put in a good sprint at the end of that. On my long run days they are just that long and slow. I don't care about time, just getting the distance done. The body adapts quite easily to exercercise so mix it up. Don't hesitate to take a rest day from running. You will find that you will be even faster the next time you run.

kevinbirulin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Rowdy1 View Post
    I run and do squats with no ill effects. Although I only do squats one day a week. I average 6-8 miles on my long runs.

Switch up your workouts. I do a speed workout once a week. I warm up by running just over a mile real easy. I do ten sprints that are about 100 yds. long uphill and then warm down with another mile. I will do an out and back run. I will time myself on the way out and try to beat it on the way back. I will usually put in a good sprint at the end of that. On my long run days they are just that long and slow. I don't care about time, just getting the distance done. The body adapts quite easily to exercercise so mix it up. Don't hesitate to take a rest day from running. You will find that you will be even faster the next time you run.
    Another type of endurance training for runners that I've used has benefited a lot in increasing my distance. The method was called a "60-120." Basically, on a track, you sprint as hard as possible for 60 seconds, and then walk/jog for 120 seconds. Repeat this process for about 45 minutes. After a few sessions you will notice a build in your level of endurance. On average I am able to build about a quarter mile more per week. The key though, SPRINT LIKE ITS YOUR FIRST LAP AROUND THE TRACK! hope this helps

wgpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) wgpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) wgpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) wgpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) wgpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) wgpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) wgpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) wgpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) wgpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) wgpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) wgpa will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I found squatting 3x a week on a strength program really affected my ability to play soccer on off days. Maybe different for runners though as it's less sprint orientated.

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Okay, here's what you do. This is actually pretty easy.

2 miles is basically a fun run, so what I suggest you do is first get used to running 2 miles X times per week like clockwork, then when you hit a point where it doesn't even bother you anymore, start adding in squats.

All kinds of slow, windless *******s with no athletic ability will try to tell you that actually being in some kind of condition while retaining the ability to lift heavy weights is impossible, but if that's the case, how the fuk do 99% of the athletes who ever appear on TV somehow manage to be in great condition AND really strong at the same time?

Answer: because conditioning and strength training are only counterproductive in the fantasy of internet fitness, a community I am increasingly growing to despise.

Everyone who tries to argue otherwise, I want you to know that not only are you wrong but I hate you personally.

unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by IDrinkBloodLOL View Post
    Okay, here's what you do. This is actually pretty easy.

2 miles is basically a fun run, so what I suggest you do is first get used to running 2 miles X times per week like clockwork, then when you hit a point where it doesn't even bother you anymore, start adding in squats.

All kinds of slow, windless *******s with no athletic ability will try to tell you that actually being in some kind of condition while retaining the ability to lift heavy weights is impossible, but if that's the case, how the fuk do 99% of the athletes who ever appear on TV somehow manage to be in great condition AND really strong at the same time?

Answer: because conditioning and strength training are only counterproductive in the fantasy of internet fitness, a community I am increasingly growing to despise.

Everyone who tries to argue otherwise, I want you to know that not only are you wrong but I hate you personally.
    Strong this LOL