tcorns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

what am i doing wrong?

hi to all the folks out there, i am hoping that you can help me out with a problem that i am having in my goal to loose weight...

i entered the fat man contest at work on march 1 06 and weighed in at 211. the goal is to see who can loose the most weight percentage prior to july 1 06. my main reason was the motivation factor and we all keep ourselves pretty motivated.

here is where i am at now in my goal.
    april 11 06 i weigh 204 and am 5ft 10in unknown body fat i have the typical spare tire and big butt

typical day goes like so....
    8:30 wake up and watch news
    9:00 on the eliptical (registered with ifit.com to get custom workout everyday) averaging 500 cals and 150 cals from fat burn per machine. i do that sat-wed 30-40 minutes. 45 minutes on my crossbow sat, mon, wed. doing a full body light workout.
    10:30 am first meal is metrx meal replacement with milk and some fruit
    5:00 pm first break at work gets me a cup of soup and crackers or some chicken breast, or fish and water
    7:00 pm salad
    9:00 pm more fruit
    midnight some sort of snack (nutrigrain bar, lean lunchmeat sandwich on white or whatever i may find that looks good)
    1:30 am bed

i am not seeing the loss that everyone else is. my workout on the crossbow seems to not be doing anything for me (i can't really feal it... should i go to free weights?) i currently have this equipment located at my house and i have no issues in using it. i have eliminated all pop and candy from the diet and take on 80 to 120 ozs of water everyday. by no means do i ever feel hungry.

where am i making my mistakes? i would like to increase the cadio (i used to race mountain bikes and i have another goal of racing one or two this summer). please help me in what ever way that you guys can.

thanks

trev

nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You are not eating enough and your workouts are not intense enough.

Kamel407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kamel407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kamel407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kamel407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kamel407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kamel407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kamel407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kamel407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kamel407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kamel407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kamel407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tcorns
    hi to all the folks out there, i am hoping that you can help me out with a problem that i am having in my goal to loose weight...

i entered the fat man contest at work on march 1 06 and weighed in at 211. the goal is to see who can loose the most weight percentage prior to july 1 06. my main reason was the motivation factor and we all keep ourselves pretty motivated.

here is where i am at now in my goal.
    april 11 06 i weigh 204 and am 5ft 10in unknown body fat i have the typical spare tire and big butt

typical day goes like so....
    8:30 wake up and watch news
    9:00 on the eliptical (registered with ifit.com to get custom workout everyday) averaging 500 cals and 150 cals from fat burn per machine. i do that sat-wed 30-40 minutes. 45 minutes on my crossbow sat, mon, wed. doing a full body light workout.
    10:30 am first meal is metrx meal replacement with milk and some fruit
    5:00 pm first break at work gets me a cup of soup and crackers or some chicken breast, or fish and water
    7:00 pm salad
    9:00 pm more fruit
    midnight some sort of snack (nutrigrain bar, lean lunchmeat sandwich on white or whatever i may find that looks good)
    1:30 am bed

i am not seeing the loss that everyone else is. my workout on the crossbow seems to not be doing anything for me (i can't really feal it... should i go to free weights?) i currently have this equipment located at my house and i have no issues in using it. i have eliminated all pop and candy from the diet and take on 80 to 120 ozs of water everyday. by no means do i ever feel hungry.

where am i making my mistakes? i would like to increase the cadio (i used to race mountain bikes and i have another goal of racing one or two this summer). please help me in what ever way that you guys can.

thanks

trev

www.hussmanfitness.org
    I REP BACK!

I owe reps to:

I owe negs to:

nithos... what do i need to add meal wise? and what should my intensity level be? should i increase my cardio? right now i am doing 2-3 miles a day 4-5 days a week. what should i be doing?
    thanks for all of the information
    trev

nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I would aim for 2400-2800 calories a day following these Diet Guidelines:
    - Eat 5-6 meals a day
    - Eat roughly the same amount for every meal
    - Eat lean protein with every meal
    - Eat a veggie/fruit with every meal
    - Eat a EFA source daily
    - Drink only non-calorie containing beverages (i.e. water and green tea)
    - One meal a week, ignore everything above

You said you didn't "feel" your workouts. If you want to feel them, try to do a routine that will keep your heart rate elevated. This can result from increasing resistance, increasing reps, decreasing rest time, doing more compound movements, etc. Just find what works best for you.

iladelph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iladelph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iladelph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iladelph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iladelph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iladelph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iladelph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iladelph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Replace the health bar with something else, preferably a protein source. Also add an EFA to your diet (fish or flax seed oil). I cut all carbs out several hours before bed. Have you tried jumproping?
    Pain Pain Pain... then maybe some Pleasure.

sorrry i was refering to the weights side of my workout. i feel the muscles being worked then in about 5 minutes i am good. am i doing enough weight for enough reps? medium weight 12, 10, 8 reps right now. as for cardio... i am keeping my heart rate around 150 to 160 for 30 minutes.

thanks for your help in getting this sorted out.

trev

what will the flax seed oil do for me and how should it be used?

thanks

trev

Kamel407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kamel407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kamel407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kamel407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kamel407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kamel407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kamel407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kamel407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kamel407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kamel407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kamel407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what will the flax seed oil do for me and how should it be used?

thanks

trev
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T041700.asp

FLAX SEEDS AND FLAX OIL
    Topics you will find:
    Fabulous Flax: the Rich Nutrients in Flax
    7 Health-promoting Properties of Flax
    Using Flax Oil

FABULOUS FLAX: THE RICH NUTRIENTS IN FLAX
    Flax oil and flax seeds are being rediscovered as true health foods. They definitely merit being included on any top-ten list of foods that are good for you. Flax is not a new food. It is actually one of the older and, perhaps, one of the original "health foods," treasured because of its healing properties throughout the Roman empire. Flax was one of the original "medicines" used by Hippocrates. Flax could be dubbed the "forgotten oil." It has fallen out of favor because oil manufacturers have found nutritious oils to be less profitable. The very nutrients that give flax its nutritional benefits - essential fatty acids - also give it a short shelf life, making it more expensive to produce, transport, and store. Yet, those who are nutritionally in the know continue to rank flax high on the list of "must have" foods. Because of the flurry of scientific studies validating the health benefits of omega 3 fatty acids, flax oil has graduated from the refrigerator of "health food nuts" to a status of scientific respectability.

I seldom leave home in the morning without having my daily tablespoon of flax oil or 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal. Besides being the best source of omega 3's, flax oil is a good source of omega 6, or linoleic acid (LA). Sunflower, safflower, and sesame oil are greater sources of omega 6 fatty acids but they don't contain any omega-3 fatty acids. Flax oil is 45 to 60 percent the omega-3 fatty acid alphalinolenic acid (ALA).

In addition to nutritious fats, flax seeds contain other nutrients which make eating the whole seed superior to consuming just the extracted oil:

Flax seeds contain a high quality protein.

Flax seeds are rich in soluble fiber. The combination of the oil and the fiber makes flaxseeds an ideal laxative.

Flax seeds contain vitamins B-1, B-2, C, E, and carotene. These seeds also contain iron, zinc, and trace amounts of potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, and vitamin E and carotene, two nutrients which aid the metabolism of the oil.

Flax seeds contain over a hundred times more of a phytonutrient, known as lignin, than any of its closest competitors, such as wheat bran, buckwheat, rye, millet, oats, and soybeans. Lignins have received a lot of attention lately because of possible anti-cancer properties, especially in relation to breast and colon cancer. Lignins seem to flush excess estrogen out of the body, thereby reducing the incidence of estrogen-linked cancers, such as breast cancer. Besides anti-tumor properties, lignins also seem to have antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties.
    Flax seeds, because they contain some protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals, and lignins, are more nutritious than their oil. Yet, for practical purposes, most consumers prefer simply using the oil for its omega-3 fatty acids and not having to bother with grinding the seeds. But nutritionally speaking, it's worth the trouble to grind fresh flax seeds (say, in a coffee grinder) and sprinkle them as a seasoning on salads or cereals, or mix them into muffins. When buying seeds, be sure they are whole, not split; splitting exposes the inner seed to light and heat and decreases the nutritional value. Or, buy pre-ground flax seeds, available as flaxseed meal. One ounce of flaxseed meal (approximately 4 tbsp.) will yield about 6 grams of protein, and 8 grams of fiber.

7 HEALTH-PROMOTING PROPERTIES OF FLAX
    Flax oil, flax seeds, and the omega-3 fatty acids they contain are good for your health. Here are some of the ways flax helps your body.

1. Flax promotes cardiovascular health. The ultra-high levels of omega-3 fatty acids lower LDL (bad) cholesterol levels. Fish oils and algae are also good sources of essential fatty acids.

2. Flax promotes colon health. It has anti-cancer properties and, as a natural lubricant and a rich fiber source, it lowers the risk of constipation.

3. Flax supplements can boost immunity. One study showed that school children supplemented with less than a teaspoon of flax oil a day had fewer and less severe respiratory infections than children not supplemented with flax oil.

4. Flax provides fats that are precursors for brain building. This is especially important at the stage of life when a child's brain grows the fastest, in utero and during infancy. A prudent mom should consider supplementing her diet with a daily tablespoon of flax oil during her pregnancy and while breastfeeding.

5. Flax promotes healthy skin. I have used flax oil as a dietary supplement in my patients who seem to have dry skin or eczema, or whose skin is particularly sun-sensitive.

6. Flax may lessen the severity of diabetes by stabilizing blood-sugar levels.

7. Flax fat can be slimming. Fats high in essential fatty acids, such as flax, increase the body's metabolic rate, helping to burn the excess, unhealthy fats in the body. Eating the right kind of fat gives you a better fighting chance of your body storing the right amount of fats. This is called thermogenesis , a process in which specialized fat cells throughout the body (called brown fat) click into high gear and burn more fat when activated by essential fatty acids, especially gamma-linolenic acid (GLA). I have personally noticed that I crave less fat overall when I get enough of the healthy fats. A daily supplement of omega 3 fatty acids may be an important part of weight control programs.

USING FLAX OIL
    Don't use flax oil for cooking. Oils high in essential fatty acids are not good for cooking. In fact, heat can turn these healthy fats into harmful ones. Add flax oil to foods after cooking and just before serving.

Flax has many virtues, but it also has one vice: it turns rancid quickly. Healthy fats spoil quickly, with olive oil being an exception to the rule. (The fats with a long shelf life are the hydrogenated shortenings, which of course are bad for you.) To prevent spoilage, follow these tips:

Purchase only refrigerated flax oil stored in black containers.

Keep your flax oil in the refrigerator with the lid on tight. Minimize exposure to heat, light, and air.

Because the oil is likely to turn rancid within six weeks of pressing, buy flax oil in smaller containers (8-12 ounces, depending on how fast you use it). In our family, we go through approximately four tablespoons of flax oil a day, using it mainly in our School-Ade smoothie.

Flax oil taken with a meal can actually increase the nutritional value of other foods . Research shows that adding flax oil to foods rich in sulfated amino acids, such as cultured dairy products (i.e., yogurt), vegetables of the cabbage family, and animal, seafood, and soy proteins helps the essential fatty acids become incorporated into cell membranes. Mixing flax oil with yogurt helps to emulsify the oil, improving its digestion and metabolism by the body.

Flax oil works best in the body when it's taken along with antioxidants, such as vitamins E, carotene, and other nutrients, such as vitamin B6 and magnesium. While a tablespoon of flax oil a day might not keep the doctor away entirely, it's bound to help.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T041700.asp
    I REP BACK!

I owe reps to:

I owe negs to:

haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    More high intensity (fast jogging is the golden choice)cardio. as much as 45 mins-60 mins a day 5 days a week

upped my cardio this morning 45 mins at 150bpm+. i definately felt it this morning. i am going to wait an hour before i do the metrx and fruit. can i get flax seed oil at gnc (not much around wilmington ohio)? no weights for today have to go to work early. just wondering if i should invest in some dumbbells... what do you all think?

yesterday
    11am metrx with milk and some cantalope
    5pm chicken salad sandwich with some baked fries (handfull)
    7pm apple
    1130pm nabisco 100 cal pack (low fat cookies)
    water

what do you guys think about a second workout before bed (weights and or cardio)?

thanks for all of the help you guys are giving me.

trev

please check out my sig
    BFFM will get you where you need to go
    also, did you check out hussmanfitness like I mentioned earlier?
    I REP BACK!

I owe reps to:

I owe negs to:

yesterday
    11am metrx with milk and some cantalope
    5pm chicken salad sandwich with some baked fries (handfull)
    7pm apple
    1130pm nabisco 100 cal pack (low fat cookies)
    water
    That's what 600 calories?

Rock You Like a Hurricane ryuten's Avatar
    ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000)
    #1 rookie mistake - eating too little. ur body doesn't want to be losing fat when calories are scarce. Up your calories to the low to mid 2000s.

drop the cookies man, they're most likely loaded with hfcs.

also eat something when u wake up or something. by not eating until 2 hours after u wake up u're screwing up ur metabolism.

haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ryuten
    #1 rookie mistake - eating too little. ur body doesn't want to be losing fat when calories are scarce. Up your calories to the low to mid 2000s.

drop the cookies man, they're most likely loaded with hfcs.

also eat something when u wake up or something. by not eating until 2 hours after u wake up u're screwing up ur metabolism.
    Eating too little is good. And definately its not a rookie mistake. Its a rookie strategy. Rookie tends to lose fat easier and gain muscle easier and faster.
    So eating less will lead you to fast weight loss at the expense of some muscle loss too.
    Believe me, the trade off is worth it. i did it and i feel better than ever before.
    However, this technique is "more advanced" than what everyone else says in this forum. because you will go over a journey in which you will lose some muscles thus leading yourself to the need of rebuilding them afterwards.

However, this is not a "lazy" technique. Because instead of slowly loosing fat and keeping the muscles(BFFM), you will lose muscle+fat FAST but you will need to rebuild those lost muscle. After holding that "low calorie diet", you will become somewhat a "skinny fat guy". But hey, you would rather look like a "skinny fat guy" than a "fat fat guy". The benefit of that diet is its SPEED of achieving a weight loss goal.
    Its actually a 2 step diet. BFFM is what i call a lazy diet

Decosta is on a distinguished road. (+10) Decosta is on a distinguished road. (+10) Decosta is on a distinguished road. (+10) Decosta is on a distinguished road. (+10) Decosta is on a distinguished road. (+10) Decosta is on a distinguished road. (+10) Decosta is on a distinguished road. (+10) Decosta is on a distinguished road. (+10) Decosta is on a distinguished road. (+10) Decosta is on a distinguished road. (+10) Decosta is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by haleluyah
    Eating too little is good. And definately its not a rookie mistake. Its a rookie strategy. Rookie tends to lose fat easier and gain muscle easier and faster.
    That's because rookies who have never lifted or exercised before shock their bodies into doing things it's not used too. Hence the fast loss. Then it slows down because the body becomes more used to the exercise and becomes more efficient at burning energy.. Just like a dodgy engine will go through oil faster. As soon as you fix the engine, it stops drinking oil so fast until you shock it again.

So eating less will lead you to fast weight loss at the expense of some muscle loss too.
    Believe me, the trade off is worth it. i did it and i feel better than ever before.
    However, this technique is "more advanced" than what everyone else says in this forum. because you will go over a journey in which you will lose some muscles thus leading yourself to the need of rebuilding them afterwards.
    Why would you want to do things twice..Why would you want to build the muscle and then lose it again with the fat and then have to build the same muscle again? Doesn't make sense.

However, this is not a "lazy" technique. Because instead of slowly loosing fat and keeping the muscles(BFFM), you will lose muscle+fat FAST but you will need to rebuild those lost muscle. After holding that "low calorie diet", you will become somewhat a "skinny fat guy". But hey, you would rather look like a "skinny fat guy" than a "fat fat guy". The benefit of that diet is its SPEED of achieving a weight loss goal.
    Its actually a 2 step diet. BFFM is what i call a lazy diet.

I would hardly call eatting the right amount and exercising correctly when it takes quite a bit of tweaking to make sure that you're treating the body the right way. It's all about education, hardly lazy.

Speed isn't everything in this weight loss game..You have your whole life, why the rush. Plus eatting less will always have you hungry and your body canabalising the fat and the muscle.. Just look at anoxerics.
    My Journal
    ----------

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4968683

today is an off day but i will be spending the afternoon at my property cutting and clearing a bunch of brush. my legs are a little bit sore from yesterdays workout but nothing that can't be tolerated. thanks for the link to hussmans website, i started reviewing it yesterday and it is very informative. i know that i will be having alot of questions that need answering. but i believe that i can ask them here and get a good quality reply.

again i can't thank you guys enough for what all of you are doing.

trev

Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Rookie mistake #2 = Doing too much cardio at the beginning of your cut.

ok i finally figured out how to use the bf measurement on my digital scale. i must say that i am very shocked at what it told me.... 28% can that be correct? i know that can not be healthy. i know i am carrying alto of extra flab around my hips and stomach. other then cardio and weights and a diet that i am struggling with what else do i need to add?

thanks

trev

AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    For most people it seems there are 4 ranges of weight/fat loss.

Range 1 = Maintainence with 0 weight/fat loss

Range 2 = Moderate caloric deficit with moderate weight/fat loss (The preferred range for most overweight/non-obese people)

Range 3 = High caloric deficit with little weight/fat loss (Body goes into starvation mode aka lowered overall metabolic rate)

Range 4 = Severe caloric deficit with extreme weight/fat loss (Body is in starvation mode but calorie deficit is so low that you begin to consume fat/muscle just to survive)

What range you are in depends on your BMR + genetics.

***Disclaimer for range 4: Typically your body will consume fat before muscle unless your body fat % is already very low. This is why starvation diets only work to a certain point before consuming more muscle than fat.***

Good Luck

i have posted a typical meal, and beyond that i don't eat very much i am never really hungry and it seams that i do just fine with less then 1000 calories. i understand the reasoning behind eating more, but i am afraid that i will end up eating too much. i wish my progress was faster but i am doing all that i can at this time. i just wish i could part ways with my stomach area.

trev