Fit mind--->Fit Body Fit_Darling's Avatar
    Fit_Darling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Female Athlete Triad Experiences

Please share your Female Athlete Triad experience here. Within the past year I have recovered from the triad, and now my life is stronger and happier. As one of the many fitness enthusiasts on this website, I would like to know about others who have suffered from any of the three triad points. Perhaps this thread will also provide support for people currently experiencing any of the triad's symptoms.

What was your experience like, how did you recover, and what did you learn from it?

WowWowWowWow ab-swing asianbabe's Avatar
    ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Well... I lost my Tom for about 5 months.. exactly when i started training harder and more frequently, Just recently got it back. Other than that, I noticed my skin became a lot drier and lacking in elasticity... bleed bruise and scar really easily, not sure how related that is to it though.

But I think doing less cardio, focussing on weights, resting adequately and eating a LOT more has helped me regain tom

emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Going through it right now, actually. Which is bad, because hubby and I are looking to conceive.

I'm decreasing the cardio and upping the food intake.

Originally Posted by asianbabe
    Other than that, I noticed my skin became a lot drier and lacking in elasticity... bleed bruise and scar really easily, not sure how related that is to it though.
    Asianbabe, the dry skin and bruising may be a symptom of anemia. Have you checked your red blood count? I had the dry skin and bruising and found out that I was badly anemic. I hope you are doing well!

Originally Posted by emunah
    Going through it right now, actually. Which is bad, because hubby and I are looking to conceive.

I'm decreasing the cardio and upping the food intake.
    Emunah, how long have you been stuck in the triad? Im glad to hear that you are decreasing your activity level and eating more...great job to you! How are your energy levels? I remember when I was trying to regain regular periods, I became fatigued often.

emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well, I just started, so it is hard to say. Its a bit nerve wracking, to be honest. I'm used to being very active and it is difficult to cut it back. It is a large part of my identity, which obviously needs to be shifted. The mind set is the most difficult part.

So far so good, though.

ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Fit_Darling
    Asianbabe, the dry skin and bruising may be a symptom of anemia. Have you checked your red blood count? I had the dry skin and bruising and found out that I was badly anemic. I hope you are doing well!
    Yeah I am anaemic... but its hereditary, I didn't realise that was a symptom though! Usually I'm just tired/lacking in energy . I've been eating a lot of healthy fats lately, but I probably need to up m iron intake as well. Anymore info on bruising and anaemia?

Thanks

boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah I am anaemic... but its hereditary, I didn't realise that was a symptom though! Usually I'm just tired/lacking in energy . I've been eating a lot of healthy fats lately, but I probably need to up m iron intake as well. Anymore info on bruising and anaemia?

Thanks
    You have anemia!?...

http://www.anemia.com/

EVERYTHING you need to know.

Originally Posted by boyscouT
    You have anemia!?...

http://www.anemia.com/

EVERYTHING you need to know.

yeah I know the basics, just not about the bruising and anaemia part, thanks anyhow bs

boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000)
    yeah I know the basics, just not about the bruising and anaemia part, thanks anyhow bs
    If you have time make sure to check out the "All About Anemia" section on the left, it has....

Click on the following topics to learn more:

* How anemia affects the body (Understanding Anemia)
    * Signs and symptoms of anemia (Symptoms of Anemia)
    * Anemia-related diseases (Causes of Anemia)
    * How anemia is diagnosed (Diagnosing Anemia)
    * The benefits of treating anemia (Treating Anemia)

Wink

Originally Posted by emunah
    Well, I just started, so it is hard to say. Its a bit nerve wracking, to be honest. I'm used to being very active and it is difficult to cut it back. It is a large part of my identity, which obviously needs to be shifted. The mind set is the most difficult part.

So far so good, though.
    I know what you mean by fitness being a big part of your identity. It still can be a huge part, even if you cut back on overtraining! I agree that the mindset is the most difficult part! Best of Luck to you emunah, take care of yourself and keep us informed!

Smile

Thanks
    Yeah, the dry skin is a symptom...the lacking in energy is a major one as you know...if your doctor confirmed that you are anemic, you definitely need iron. Do you currently take extra iron? Since it seems like you are well-set on eating more, taking in more iron should give you more regular periods and more energy.

Bruising is also a side effect. I really do recommend seeing the doctor, because getting more iron is imperative to anemic female athletes. Take care and keep in touch!

cowpie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just had to comment about the anemia, firstly I must state that I'm not a medical health professional, just a research scientist, so don't take what I say as law but please just consider the info. (Also, I hope I don't come off as a know it all, because I'll be the first to say that I'm not. Just think that it's important that the cause of anemia be identified as iron is not always the answer )
    I also have a HEREDIATARY anemia (not to be confused with iron deficiency anemia) called Thalassemia(minor) it is actually a genetic disorder in the manufacturing of hemoglobin and has NOTHING to do with Iron intake. Actually, if you have this disorder taking iron will cause harm to organs like the heart and liver due to iron overload. And some symptoms of iron overload mimic those of iron deficiency i.e. fatigue, amenorhea(loss of menstrual cucle).
    So please consult a doctor before just taking iron supplements, I made the mistake of assuming I needed iron and when my symptoms got worse NOT better, I finally went to a doctor to discover the iron was making me worse because I have thalasemia minor. Below is just an FYI........
    Sometimes iron deficiency is confused with Thalassemia minor. This is a hereditary form of anemia also termed Mediterranean Anemia because of the higher incidence in those of Italian and Greek origin,it also has higher incidence in people from SE Asia. Thalassemia has nothing to do with iron deficiency. Since it also produces smaller than normal red blood cells (microcytic), it can be confused with iron deficiency anemia. With Thalassemia, however, the iron levels are normal. If Thalassemia is suspected, a special blood test called a Hemoglobin Electrophoresis can help sort things out.
    Last edited by cowpie; 04-17-2006 at 07:19 AM.
    Don't talk about it..BE about it

Cowpie, thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge about anemia. It feels great to continuously learn more about health and fitness! Best of luck to you and your training

Originally Posted by cowpie
    I just had to comment about the anemia, firstly I must state that I'm not a medical health professional, just a research scientist, so don't take what I say as law but please just consider the info. (Also, I hope I don't come off as a know it all, because I'll be the first to say that I'm not. Just think that it's important that the cause of anemia be identified as iron is not always the answer )
    I also have a HEREDIATARY anemia (not to be confused with iron deficiency anemia) called Thalassemia(minor) it is actually a genetic disorder in the manufacturing of hemoglobin and has NOTHING to do with Iron intake. Actually, if you have this disorder taking iron will cause harm to organs like the heart and liver due to iron overload. And some symptoms of iron overload mimic those of iron deficiency i.e. fatigue, amenorhea(loss of menstrual cucle).
    So please consult a doctor before just taking iron supplements, I made the mistake of assuming I needed iron and when my symptoms got worse NOT better, I finally went to a doctor to discover the iron was making me worse because I have thalasemia minor. Below is just an FYI........
    Sometimes iron deficiency is confused with Thalassemia minor. This is a hereditary form of anemia also termed Mediterranean Anemia because of the higher incidence in those of Italian and Greek origin,it also has higher incidence in people from SE Asia. Thalassemia has nothing to do with iron deficiency. Since it also produces smaller than normal red blood cells (microcytic), it can be confused with iron deficiency anemia. With Thalassemia, however, the iron levels are normal. If Thalassemia is suspected, a special blood test called a Hemoglobin Electrophoresis can help sort things out.
    thankyou cowpie, excellent info and the clear up! Yep, my dr has said the same thing to me, thanks for the reminder though!! I think I am to include adequate iron in my diet, but that it should primarily come from food sources rather than iron supplementation. And yep - SE Asian origin...thats me ><