Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RUGBY Thread

payner1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) payner1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) payner1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) payner1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) payner1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) payner1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) payner1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) payner1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) payner1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) payner1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) payner1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

RUGBY Thread

Couldn't find a definite rugby thread, so I thought I'd start one like the football thread. Feel free to share any info about your key lifts, previous/current position/s, how you got started, and anything else related.

I started in HS when I moved to Bangkok, Thailand (11th grade). Started off playing loosehead prop, and moved to started loosehead within about a week. Played there at 205 (SMALL team), second in the IASAS tournament that year, won my senior year (got all-tournament). Now I play for Monterey RFC as fullback last year, moving to flyhalf, inside and outside center over the course of this year (anywhere they need me).

5'11, 193lbs
    Bench:260
    Squat:380
    Dead:~360
    "I like to think I play rugby as it should be played - there are no yellow or red cards in my collection - but I cannot say I'm an angel." - Jonny Wilkinson

Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Rugby is truly an awesome game

Due to a few injuries, i was stuck in the bottom teams at school (D and E teams), and didnt get a look in until this year when an ex professional rugby league guy joined and became our coach. Previously, in the tard teams, i played at every single position except 12 and 2, and played an entire game at prop even though i am 5'9'' and about 130lbs. I must say though, playing in a tard team was the most fun i ever had, attempting drop goals from 40 yards, catch and drives from the half way line, running the length of the field to score, it was superb.

But since the league geezer came, he put me in my proper position of Wing, i hasd started as a flanker. Probably best, seeing as i now run the 100 in 11.8 and within a week, i was playing in B team/A team reserve.

I am not the best in defense due to my size, or lack thereof, head on tackling i usually get boshed out of the way, side on, i make the tackle 7 out of 10, and i havent been beaten while chasing to tackle from behind. In attack, i am pretty superb, i know when to cut in, kick and to pass.

Anyway, Rugby is my favourite sport of all time, and i wouldnt change 2 broken noses, 3 concussions, torn kneecap ligaments, dented forearm, sprained wrists and a broken rib for anything!

reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Rugby makes American football, look like a girls game. The English & Aussies etc, dont play in body armour. Its a real mans sport.
    RIP Steve Irwin :(

Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if you think northern hemisphere rugby is brutal..........

pacific island, Eastern European and South African rugby is an all out brawl compared to NH. I must say, the best match i ever saw was between Georgia and Romania. So many ridiculously high tackles, stamping, raking, punching, spearing, late tackles, it might just have well been a gang fight.

burg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) burg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) burg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) burg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) burg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) burg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) burg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) burg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) burg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) burg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) burg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Theres a thread called the official rugger thread or something
    ♂Nice Ass Crew♀ ∫ Ballz Deep

muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yep, rugby is a great game. I played all through highschool and now play 1st Div. club rugby here in Calgary, for the Saracens. Hopefully this summer I can make the Calgary Mavericks and play in the superleague here in Canada.
    "Don't count the days, make every day count"

I recently played against Emerging Canada U17s when they toured the UK.

muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Frodo16
    I recently played against Emerging Canada U17s when they toured the UK.
    How did they look man? Rugby is just starting to take off here now. More touring and more international coaches coming over to help out.

my opposite winger looked about 35, had a big ole goatee and burns, no way he could have been 16. The props were properly meaty, with a lot of fat as well, the second rows were both about 6'6'' and the scrum half was tiny.

They werent fantastic, they beat us, but through lucky breaks.

my opposite winger looked about 35, had a big ole goatee and burns, no way he could have been 16. The props were properly meaty, with a lot of fat as well, the second rows were both about 6'6'' and the scrum half was tiny.

They werent fantastic, they beat us, but through lucky breaks.
    Yeha one thing that our program is lagging is skill. It'll come with time, as rugby is introduced at an earlier age. Right now, most kids here don't start playing until they're 15 or 16, so everyone is relatively new still.

When we toured Australia in grade 11, we were just as fit as them, but their skill was way above ours and we lsot most of the games.

SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by reflexions
    Rugby makes American football, look like a girls game. The English & Aussies etc, dont play in body armour. Its a real mans sport.
    Yeah, and you sound like a real man.
    Home Gym Crew
    AP4
    Pureblood

muirsy, their kicking was poor, and around the tackle area, much ground handling etc. And they were unsure of what to do under a high ball. Their scrummaging was good, as they were all mahusive, as was the lineout.

In open play, we shat on them, loose balls etc. we owned, i dont think they had seen many 2 man miss passed before.

muirsy, their kicking was poor, and around the tackle area, much ground handling etc. And they were unsure of what to do under a high ball. Their scrummaging was good, as they were all mahusive, as was the lineout.

In open play, we shat on them, loose balls etc. we owned, i dont think they had seen many 2 man miss passed before.
    Thats quite common and understandable. One thing I noticed when touring, was how quick each phase was. The guy was tackled, the ball was placed and boom, the ball was out to the backs WAY faster than what we were used to playing against. Needless to say, when we came back here, we owned every team because we were so used to the speed.

Basically, when kids start playing here, they learn all the basics of the game but don't have any of the skills that are learned from just playing at lunch time and tossing the ball around with friends. It's those skills that come in handy come game time that the kids here are missing, but slowly picking up.

reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by danj112
    Yeah, and you sound like a real man.
    Guilty as charged. Are you a real man, cookie boy?
    Last edited by reflexions; 04-10-2006 at 09:58 AM.

RugbyStar12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RugbyStar12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RugbyStar12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RugbyStar12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RugbyStar12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RugbyStar12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RugbyStar12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RugbyStar12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RugbyStar12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RugbyStar12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RugbyStar12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    what is superleague rugby in canada and usa like? is it a good standard will it someday turn professional?

Originally Posted by RugbyStar12
    what is superleague rugby in canada and usa like? is it a good standard will it someday turn professional?
    MAYBE some day man, but not for a while. Right now, our superleague is sort of a training ground for some of our national team players and a starting point for guys who want to go overseas and play. I'm not too sure about the US, but imagine it would be about the same.

I wish that rugby league was bigger over here. I love both games to death, but league suits my style of play more than union.

RugbyStar12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RugbyStar12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RugbyStar12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RugbyStar12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RugbyStar12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RugbyStar12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RugbyStar12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RugbyStar12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RugbyStar12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RugbyStar12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RugbyStar12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I am from NZ and rugby league is huge here man! but you gotta be a really big pyhsical guy to play it, speed also helps

I am from NZ and rugby league is huge here man! but you gotta be a really big pyhsical guy to play it, speed also helps
    The all blacks v the nfl? The nfl will get smashed backed into their locker rooms! haha

Yeah I know man. I was just over in Australia for a few months and got to watch a ton of NRL...I loved it.

Lets put it this way. A typical Pacific islander my age and height will probably have a 50lb advantage on me, its sort of genetic, plus bone density and size.

Lets put it this way. A typical Pacific islander my age and height will probably have a 50lb advantage on me, its sort of genetic, plus bone density and size.
    No **** man. Those guys have bodies that are designed to play rugby.

its a type of vegtable they eat called taro. jonah lomu lived off it. it creates really thick bulk. Also most pacific islanders do jobs in construction/building all manual labour so they basically gyming all day everyday

SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Guilty as charged. Are you a real man, cookie boy?
    What the hell is a cookie boy?
    Home Gym Crew
    AP4
    Pureblood

skatcanada has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    rugby in north america is trying to take a step towards having a professional league with the new NA4 that is established, which is canada east, canada west, usa east, usa west, in a 4 team competition that will eventually grow into 6 or 8 teams and into a semi-pro or pro competition.
    fall down 7. get up 8.

JValmont has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Man, Rugby takes so much more endurance than football it is ridiculous.
    Current Height: 5'9
    Weight: 165
    Bench: 210
    Squat: 275
    ---------------------

FiLL has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FiLL has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FiLL has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FiLL has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FiLL has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FiLL has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FiLL has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FiLL has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FiLL has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FiLL has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FiLL has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by muirsy88
    Yeah I know man. I was just over in Australia for a few months and got to watch a ton of NRL...I loved it.

which games did u manage to catch?? would have been opening round stuff?... i LOVEEEE league huge roosters fan have been for about 12 years or so , i used to play union it was fun to play but watching it can get very boring, especially when games are decided on penalty kicks.. at least league is pretty much non stop action, tougher game aswell physically and gotta be alot fitter aswell i reckon...

but im not here to bash union i still loved playn it.. i was a flanker and went on a few school tours down to NZ and stuff, awesome times, what goes on tour stays on tour

the NFL is too stop start. I watched a game between the raiders and some random NY team, and the plays took 6 seconds at most. It was basically snap-fat guys fall into each other-QB throws it to a fast guy out wide-Guy gets munched-Lots of ass touching, shouting WOOO!!! and high fiving. Then, after a whole 6 seconds of exertion, another guy came onto the field for the fast guy.

I dunno, maybe its just me Rugby tinted specs looking at this.

FiLL has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FiLL has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FiLL has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FiLL has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FiLL has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FiLL has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FiLL has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FiLL has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FiLL has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FiLL has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FiLL has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    the NFL is too stop start. I watched a game between the raiders and some random NY team, and the plays took 6 seconds at most. It was basically snap-fat guys fall into each other-QB throws it to a fast guy out wide-Guy gets munched-Lots of ass touching, shouting WOOO!!! and high fiving. Then, after a whole 6 seconds of exertion, another guy came onto the field for the fast guy.

I dunno, maybe its just me Rugby tinted specs looking at this.

yer NFL is to boring for me aswell... i guess i'll never understand why its so massive in america

HOSINATOR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HOSINATOR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HOSINATOR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HOSINATOR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HOSINATOR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HOSINATOR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HOSINATOR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HOSINATOR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HOSINATOR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HOSINATOR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HOSINATOR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You ever play American Football, to be able to say its a girls game?

Year 8 - 10 I played League as a second rower.
    Year 10 - Year 12 I played Union as a Tighthead prop.
    Union is a tougher game physically for forwards than League, as a prop you get used to people rucking/stomping your back, fingers and legs with 18mm studs.

Since 2001 until last year I played American Football and mate I gotta say F*$K me its hard on the body!

Imagine this, your wearing bodyarmour that covers your shoulders, part of your back and part of your chest. As well as a HARD hard hard plastic helmet with a metal face cage. The rest is exposed flesh albeit covered with a jersey. That body armour is made out of hardened plastic with a bit of padding underneath. When an opposing player tackles you with that hardened plastic into your jersey covered flesh...it dosen't tickle.

How many times I had my fingers jammed between the metal face cage and a helmet, I can't recall but it was enough that my hands swelled over an entire season and didn't return to normal until 2 months after season finished. I was lucky, most of the guys played with broken fingers and damaged/shattered knuckles.

Its not a girly sport...I have enormous respect for NFL players or weekend warriors who take the hits they do.
    Also take into account that you are fair game even when you have jumped for the ball, there is no waiting for the feet to touch the ground and you can get hit from any direction at anytime, (side on and front on even when you don't have the ball, it's legal too block people, but you don't get blocked, you get your block knocked off when you get hit.)

Don't get me wrong, both rugby codes are tough and some of our games are brutal but don't disrespect American Football, in my opinion its equal in toughness to League and Union.

Originally Posted by HOSINATOR

Its not a girly sport...

Don't get me wrong, both rugby codes are tough and some of our games are brutal but don't disrespect American Football, in my opinion its equal in toughness to League and Union.
    I agree it's not a girly sport. I played both rugby union and football all through highschool and each one required a huge amount of toughness.

However, I've also played rugby league, and in my opinion, is the most physically demading and toughest sport in the world. It's absolutely brutal...and I love every minute of it!