Big_League is just really nice. (+1000) Big_League is just really nice. (+1000) Big_League is just really nice. (+1000) Big_League is just really nice. (+1000) Big_League is just really nice. (+1000) Big_League is just really nice. (+1000) Big_League is just really nice. (+1000) Big_League is just really nice. (+1000) Big_League is just really nice. (+1000) Big_League is just really nice. (+1000) Big_League is just really nice. (+1000)

Analysis Paralysis: Thinking your results away

Analysis Paralysis: Thinking your results away

Since Arnold's days we've progressed a lot in the world of bodybuilding and weight loss. The physical limits the human body can be taken to (albeit with or without steroids) has increased dramatically, which we can see in the world of IFBB pros.

But what's even more impressive, at least to me, is how far the average individual is now able to go. In the last decade I've watched a true plethora of information regarding all things bodybuilding become available through the internet. And with this knowledge comes ability - people who have never even been in a gym before are now able to put on lean mass faster than the star quarterback or biggest guy at their work/school, if they're willing to put the time in.

This explosion of knowledge has directly influenced me - this I know for a fact - most notably when I hit the weights for 3 months to see almost no results, to the following year when I spent what felt like days upon end reading everything from beginner's guides on BB.com to scientific journals boasting about how the power of controlling your insulin levels directly before and after taking creatine as well as other key times of your day are the most influential thing to weightlifting other than actually hitting the weights

When I first started lifting, it was like I could soak up every piece of information out there. Everything was ammunition - from adding dextrose to my post workout shake to completely revamping my work out and definition of overtraining. In less than two years I went from a twig to a solid 200 pounds, yes with some fat, but the large amount of muscle I gained was undeniable. I felt like the more I learned, the bigger I could get. Nothing could stop me.

But as I learned more, I found that for every good piece of advice I had read, I read something equally convincing that "proved" the opposite later on. You thought simple carbs were ideal post workout? Well, this 220 pound guy with a handful of paper credentials and years in the gym is telling me the exact opposite. Milk is great. Milk is only for cows, and shouldn't even be ingested by humans. Stick to compound lifts. Compound lifts are for beginners - the pros out there have 6 day splits that look like soduko when put on paper.

I thought the answer was more information - ironically, the direct cause of the problem (or rather, more information that was often contradicting). As I learned more and more contradicting information, I fell into what is commonly kwown as analysis paralysis.

What's that mean? It means I got so caught up in trying to figure out what would give me the best results, I completely lost sight of the most important things in bodybuilding: hard work, trial and error, and consistency.

Now you may have never been caught up in analysis parlysis, you may eventually be, or you may be right now. No matter what your situation, I have proposed some guidelines which will help you get out of, or prevent ever getting in, analysis paralysis. These guidelines will empower you to view all sources of knowledge subjectively, and ultimately, rule them all against real results in order to determine what's fact and what's fiction.

1) We must accept that there is more we don't know than that which we do, at least for the time being.

In other words, stop trying to figure everything out, because you're never gonna do it. Learn what you can and use what you can, but don't get caught up in trying to figure out the next step before you take it.

2) Pretty much everything can come down to trial and error.

You hear two conflicting views, one saying you should eat carbs no later than 6pm, the other saying you need complex carbs right before bed every night. Rather than getting caught up in arguing or trying to find out which view point is better, try each for 12 weeks, consistantly, and carefully moniter your results and energy levels.

3) Knowledge should empower you, not limit you.

Finally, remember this one rule of thumb and you're gold:

When more knowledge is giving you more results, keep learning. When it is hindering them, momentarily stop learning, and go back to what works.

You'll often find a break from "searching" may lay totally new insight to what exactly you were searching for in the first place.

I may add more to this later... Would appreciate any thoughts thus far.
    You should always play fair when you have the winning hand.