Closed Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000)

HHF's Road to July 12, 2008:First Strongman Comp

http://www.avymca.org/strongest/

Too long ive lifted with no concrete goal. Too long ive just jumped from "I want to be lean" to "I want to be big"

I have something to train for. i will be entering this Strongman comp in July. Once i get paid i will be sending in my entry form and check's to get registered for everything. Im not sure of what type of training I will be doing, as since my birthday is this weekend, i will be acquiring Famers Handles and a smaller log implement to add to my Keg, Sandbags.

The events are
    -185lb Log Clean and Press for Reps
    -Deadlift for Reps
    -Husafell Stone Carry
    -Farmers Walks
    -Tire Flip

I currenyl weigh between 182-184 and will be trying to get in at under 176, as I will have a better chance. I am still undecided on whether to just jump right into the open, or go for the novice category. I will see.

My Diet will be nothing much more than what I have been doing lately, with lots of protein, moderate fat, and veggies/random carbs. Basically a Meat/Veggies/Fruit/Nuts Diet, with some Whey and maybe a PWO shake thrown in.

My Training will most likely be 3-4 weeks on, 1 week DeLoad as I dont want to be burn out.

Debating on This type of split, got the idea from a Dan John article
    http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=708283

Mon: Farmers Walks-To Death!
    Tues: Clean and Press
    Wed: Squat
    Thurs: DL
    Fri: Off
    Sat: Events/Strongman Medley
    Sun: Off

Still all up in the air, and looking for a tire and looking for at least a 100lb Stone from a local quarry.

HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000)

2-19-08: Clean and Press

*had to Skip Monday because i dont have my farmer's implements yet*

*I put as much volume into 45 mins, so total workout for all following sets is about 43 mins *

Hang Clean+Strict Press

barx10
    85x8
    95x6
    105x4
    115x2
    125x2

Power Clean and Strict Press

135x2

Power Clean and Push Press

145x1

Power Clean and Strict Press

135x2
    140x1
    145x1 (Ties PR, but im also 12lbs lighter)

Power Clean and Push Press

150x3
    135x5 (Drop Set)

Strict OHP, Feet Together

100x5x3
    95x5
    95x4

+Rope PD's 3x15

Comments: Just wow. Im not as sore today as i would have imagined from this, but it got to the point where 95lbs was devastating on every single rep. Im happy about tying my PR on the Strict Press, and I definitely think I could surpass it, as my volume before the attempt was very high. It was definitely a battle rep though, but i pushed it out. Great day all around.

Squats-2-20-08

Still feeling out training, as today i just wanted to squat and squat hard

Ovehead Squats

barx8
    65x5
    85x5
    95x5

Notes: This is indeed a humbling exercise, but its strange, i felt these more on my legs than the heavier front squats that were to follow. I really like these, I definitely need more core strength and shoulder flexibility.

Front Squats

95x5
    135x3
    155x3
    185x3
    205x1
    230x1 Not Sure if this is a 5lb PR, or tie a PR, eitherway, im happy.

Back Squats

225x5
    185x5
    135x3 Drop Set

+Leg Ext-2x30

Comments And im spent. That **** absolutely destroyed me. One thing ive notcied with my squat, OH, Fronts and Back is that my form is very deliberate, a steady pace, but i dont have much speed, which mangles me ability to do reps, as I dont have the muscle endurance to go along with the strength. My strength is 1-3-5 rep range, any higher than that, and it feels like 135 will staple me to the ground. Might be something I have to work on. But overall, i think this was a great day of lifting, with a semi ****ty diet day, as I didnt eat for about 4 hours before the gym, just popped some BCAA Tabs, as my work day ran way longer than i anticipated.

Today is off day, tomorrow, Deadlifts.

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    Very smart....I think entering some sort of competition--whether that is strongman, bodybuilding, powerlifting, log rolling, whatever!--is exactly what you need to combat "routine-change-itis".

I'm in

BTW, check out this link for some strongman training ideas.
    My Training Journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608812

"Chris = Awesomeness" :)

Check out...

http://www.redpointfitness.com/

mochi is just really nice. (+1000) mochi is just really nice. (+1000) mochi is just really nice. (+1000) mochi is just really nice. (+1000) mochi is just really nice. (+1000) mochi is just really nice. (+1000) mochi is just really nice. (+1000) mochi is just really nice. (+1000) mochi is just really nice. (+1000) mochi is just really nice. (+1000) mochi is just really nice. (+1000)
    that's cool you're doing strongman HHF! i've always wanted to try but could never pry myself away from training for PL. anyways, i've looked at a number of strongman routines and i found one i really like the looks of (but haven't tried). I'm gonna PM it to you so it doesn't waste space here. good luck!

Originally Posted by RipStone View Post
    Very smart....I think entering some sort of competition--whether that is strongman, bodybuilding, powerlifting, log rolling, whatever!--is exactly what you need to combat "routine-change-itis".

I'm in

BTW, check out this link for some strongman training ideas.
    Rip, you are absolutely right. Although the BBing thing is a bit out of the question, haha, my cut isnt going THAT well. But i found this comp on here and something clicked. This will definitely keep me following definitive cycles of training.

That was a great link, it led to me a nice looking Westside/Strongman training hybrid i really like the look of. Gotta check out and switch in and out some stuff, until i can get outside so i can get a tire. Its nothing but Snow/Rain in the philly area lately. No matter ill still prob be doing Farmers Walks in the cold tomorrow. Maybe ill finally get some more pics up if i can get someone else to come outside!

Originally Posted by mochi View Post
    that's cool you're doing strongman HHF! i've always wanted to try but could never pry myself away from training for PL. anyways, i've looked at a number of strongman routines and i found one i really like the looks of (but haven't tried). I'm gonna PM it to you so it doesn't waste space here. good luck!
    Thanks for the PM man! I really like the look of that as well, as with that I wouldnt have to drag implements to LA Fitness with me haha. I can imagine the looks Id get lugging a strongman log in there!

I might follow that one for a bit, as its very simplified and very laid out. Im just not vey sure of how to set up events days. Pretty much the only things i could do are Car pushes, Keg/Sandbag work, Log C+P, Farmers Walks....wait, hahaha, guess i could throw a nice medley in there

I need to work on everything, but i really want to focus on the Log and Farmers, since im very unfamiliar with both implements

2-22-08:HHF's 25th B-day! and Deadlift Day

Snatch Grip Deadlift

135x5
    185x5
    225x5

Platform Deadlift-off of 2 45lb plates under each foot

225x5
    275x5
    315x5

Conventional Deadlifts

315x5
    365x1 (Went up fast, but grip was hindering[/]

Didnt want to push more than this, so i went lower

315x1x10(30s rest, FAST!)
    225x20

I was going to do a bit of arms....get the pump before i went out but honestly after that many sets of Deads, and the fact i did it in about 45mins, i jsut wanted to slam a protein shake and lay down.

I will say, no matter what Strongman idea i go with, Snatch Grip deads will make their way into it. Fantastic exercise.

Also, i dont know why, but i felt MUCH stronger on pulls from a deficit than conventional
    Last edited by HumanHorrorFilm; 02-22-2008 at 03:18 PM.

mochi is just really nice. (+1000) mochi is just really nice. (+1000) mochi is just really nice. (+1000) mochi is just really nice. (+1000) mochi is just really nice. (+1000) mochi is just really nice. (+1000) mochi is just really nice. (+1000) mochi is just really nice. (+1000) mochi is just really nice. (+1000) mochi is just really nice. (+1000) mochi is just really nice. (+1000)
    happy birthday man

Far Beyond Driven P0W3RLIFT3R87's Avatar
    P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Happy brithday! And good luck with the strongman training. This should be interesting.
    John McCain, a real American hero.
    Vote McCain for President:
    http://www.johnmccain.com/

Where do I go from here? BigDerek's Avatar
    BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Happy birthday. Training or something is the best thing you can do, as it will give you a goal to reach.

Ok, ive taken a bit of things from here and there. I want to thank Mochi/BigD for the PM's, definitely steered me in the right direction. Here is what ive come up with

Day 1

Overhead RE
    Strict OHP(BB or DB)-5x8-12

Back Superset
    Vertical Plane/Upper Back-4 sets

Heavy Tricep
    work up to 3RM on lockouts, CGB, DIPS, incline CGBP

Grip

Biceps/Forearms

(credit to Mochi for PMing this link)
    Squat/DL Day
    Day 2 - Lower Body
    Core Lift (rotate between Squat and Deadlift each week, one lift per week)
    -Box Squat
    -Regular Deadlift
    -Regular Squat
    -Trap Bar Deadlift
    -Hassock Squat
    -Axle Deadlift
    Supplemental Lift - Quads (switch every week)
    -Walking Lunges (on Squat days)
    -Front Squats (on Deadlift days)
    Supplemental Lift - Back and Hams (switch every week)
    -Stiff-leg Good Morning (on Deadlift days)
    -Stiff-leg Deadlift (on Squat days)
    -45 Degree back raise (if feeling beat up)
    Accessory Work
    -Calves
    -Abdominals

Day 3-ME Overhead

Rotate through ME Lifts
    -Strict Press
    -Clean and Press
    -Clean and Jerk
    -Push Press
    -OVerhead Lockouts, etc.

Incline HG DB Bench-2-3 of 10-12

Horizontal Plane back movement-4 sets

Laterals-2-3x8-10

Traps(Hang Clean, Shrugs, Power Shrugs) 4 sets

Triceps-skulls
    Grip

Day 4-Event Day
    -Farmers Walks, keg/sandbag work, car pushes

I picked up my farmers handles today and also pickedup a Rolling Thunder handle! Im excited to utilize this items. The log was WAY out of my proce range, at least until i get my income tax return.

If im focusing on overhead before bench, do you think my heavy tricep work should be overhead lockouts before bench-esque lockouts?
    Last edited by HumanHorrorFilm; 02-25-2008 at 05:34 PM.

BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Here's how I see it:

You dont need to work biceps/forearms if you are rowing right (put some damn weight on the bar).

Also, forget calf work, as events like sled drag and car push will be more than enough.

I also wouldnt do overhead press twice per week. The shoulders are a small muscle group. I'd do them once per week and then focus on bench the next time. I.e, if you do overhead for reps on day 1, then day 3 would be heavier bench.

Originally Posted by BigDerek View Post
    Here's how I see it:

You dont need to work biceps/forearms if you are rowing right (put some damn weight on the bar).

Also, forget calf work, as events like sled drag and car push will be more than enough.

I also wouldnt do overhead press twice per week. The shoulders are a small muscle group. I'd do them once per week and then focus on bench the next time. I.e, if you do overhead for reps on day 1, then day 3 would be heavier bench.

I definitely agree with you on all points BigD. Maybe when i focus on the bench, do a lot of incline work? also, would i better served to focus more on horizontal plane movement for back, e.g Rows, rows, rows or would i be well served to throw in chins, etc.?

Calf work is GONE! haha. Also, would you recommend only working grip one extra day, since it will be getting hit with Deads/Farmers, heavy rows? I just want to play witht he Rolling Thunder handle at some poiint during the week.

I was thinking of going 2 weeks RE Shoulders/ME Bench, 2 weeks ME Shoulders/RE Bench, with every 5th week cutting down the volume, or a "135" workout, etc.

so the final kind of deal would be

Day 1: RE Shoulders

Strict OHP(DB/BB)-5x10-12
    Chins/Upper Back Superset-4 sets
    Heavy Tricep movement-work up to 3RM
    Hammer Curls-3x8-10
    Rolling Thunder
    CORE-weighted situps

Day 2: LOWER
    Squat/DL Day
    Day 2 - Lower Body
    Core Lift (rotate between Squat and Deadlift every two weeks, one lift per 2 week mini-cycle)
    (WORK UP TO 5RM)
    -Box Squat
    -Regular Deadlift
    -Regular Squat
    -Trap Bar Deadlift
    -Hassock Squat
    -Axle Deadlift
    Supplemental Lift - Quads (switch every two week)
    Supplemental Lift - Back and Hams (switch every two week)
    Accessory Work
    -Abdominals(Pulldown AB's)

Day 3-ME Bench

Laterals 2x8-10(Warmup shoulders)

ME Bench
    -Flat, Decline, Incline, Floor Press, lockouts, etc.

Incline HG DB Bench-Max Reps-2 sets(Usinig this idea from DeFranco)

Horizontal Plane Back DB Rows-Last set each week-15-20 reps(Kroc Rows)

Traps-Hang cleans, Shrugs, Hang Power snatch-3-4 sets (5-8 reps for HC's and Snatches, 12-15 on shrugs)

Triceps-3 sets of 10 reps Deloaded SK's

Day 4-Events

Farmers Walks, Keg Carries, Sandbag Carries, Car pushes, (will be building a sled shortly)

Week 1, Day 1: RE Upper/Shoulder Focus

RE Military Press-Feet together/Strict(BB)

85x10x3
    90x10
    95x10

Notes: Damn. I have no muscular endurance. i was hoping for 105x10, but my shoulders were fried on these. Im hoping by the time that the contest rolls around i can get 135x10 strict like this.

Back Superset
    Chins

bwx5x4

supersetted with...

Face Pulls

50x10x4

Notes: Felt good on these, although, depending on feedback, i might opt for another rowing motion instead of chins

Seated Overhead locksouts-not sure of ROM, but bar was right on brow line above eyes

95x3
    115x3
    135x3
    140x3
    125x3

Notes: When i am doing ME Bench, i will do heavy tri work with an overhead item and vice versa. These were...strange. I am definitely much weaker on seated variations.

Hammer Curls

35x8x3

Rolling Thunder 1 handed deadlifts

I love this thing!

90x2R,2L
    115x1R, 1L
    125x1R, 1L
    90x5R, 5L

Comments" Bit humbling of a day, but i feel good about it as there is nowhere to go but to build on today.

Macros: 2228Cals 81gFat 115gCarbs 268gProtein
    Last edited by HumanHorrorFilm; 02-26-2008 at 05:10 PM.

I will break you. KING_OF_SQUAT's Avatar
    KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    you can weld your own log for about a hundred bucks.

im way following this. you should do well in the 176, all the competetitions i've seen with guys that light REALLY depend on speed in the walking events, as the weighs really arent too heavy. SO GET QUICK.

I'm waaaaaaaaaay in on this one. You had better follow mine as well.
    Deos fortioribus adesse.

Welders lift more metal.

in regards to the chins, i noticed a lot of strongmen use it in their routines.. so i'm guessing it's a good exercise.. and was that your first time using the RT? those are good numbers!

Originally Posted by KING_OF_SQUAT View Post
    you can weld your own log for about a hundred bucks.

im way following this. you should do well in the 176, all the competetitions i've seen with guys that light REALLY depend on speed in the walking events, as the weighs really arent too heavy. SO GET QUICK.

I'm waaaaaaaaaay in on this one. You had better follow mine as well.
    Ill definitely be watching KoS! You dont happen to have a link to dimensions/specs for me to weld my own log do you? I know a local metal shop around here that i was plannng to get a sled made, might as well do both and save some cash.

im hoping that I can get my overhead up significantly in the next few months, but your right, i need speed on the tire flip, farmers and stone carries.

in regards to the chins, i noticed a lot of strongmen use it in their routines.. so i'm guessing it's a good exercise.. and was that your first time using the RT? those are good numbers!
    First time using the RT, i want a 4 plate RT lift at soem point. The handle caught me WAY off guard on the first attempt. I will keep chins in the routine, although i dont understand how come some days i feel so strong on these and then the enxt set im spent. odd.

Far Beyond Driven P0W3RLIFT3R87's Avatar
    P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Here's a link on how to make a log for strongman. It gives detail on how to make one using wood, and then there's a link to how to make one using metal.

http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resou...er.html#events
    John McCain, a real American hero.
    Vote McCain for President:
    http://www.johnmccain.com/

Originally Posted by HumanHorrorFilm View Post
    I definitely agree with you on all points BigD. Maybe when i focus on the bench, do a lot of incline work? also, would i better served to focus more on horizontal plane movement for back, e.g Rows, rows, rows or would i be well served to throw in chins, etc.?

Calf work is GONE! haha. Also, would you recommend only working grip one extra day, since it will be getting hit with Deads/Farmers, heavy rows? I just want to play witht he Rolling Thunder handle at some poiint during the week.

I was thinking of going 2 weeks RE Shoulders/ME Bench, 2 weeks ME Shoulders/RE Bench, with every 5th week cutting down the volume, or a "135" workout, etc.

so the final kind of deal would be

Day 1: RE Shoulders

Strict OHP(DB/BB)-5x10-12
    Chins/Upper Back Superset-4 sets
    Heavy Tricep movement-work up to 3RM
    Hammer Curls-3x8-10
    Rolling Thunder
    CORE-weighted situps

Day 2: LOWER
    Squat/DL Day
    Day 2 - Lower Body
    Core Lift (rotate between Squat and Deadlift every two weeks, one lift per 2 week mini-cycle)
    (WORK UP TO 5RM)
    -Box Squat
    -Regular Deadlift
    -Regular Squat
    -Trap Bar Deadlift
    -Hassock Squat
    -Axle Deadlift
    Supplemental Lift - Quads (switch every two week)
    Supplemental Lift - Back and Hams (switch every two week)
    Accessory Work
    -Abdominals(Pulldown AB's)

Day 3-ME Bench

Laterals 2x8-10(Warmup shoulders)

ME Bench
    -Flat, Decline, Incline, Floor Press, lockouts, etc.

Incline HG DB Bench-Max Reps-2 sets(Usinig this idea from DeFranco)

Horizontal Plane Back DB Rows-Last set each week-15-20 reps(Kroc Rows)

Traps-Hang cleans, Shrugs, Hang Power snatch-3-4 sets (5-8 reps for HC's and Snatches, 12-15 on shrugs)

Triceps-3 sets of 10 reps Deloaded SK's

Day 4-Events

Farmers Walks, Keg Carries, Sandbag Carries, Car pushes, (will be building a sled shortly)
    Its better. For more strength gains just be careful of the volume on the accessory stuff. Once per week for grip should suffice, but dont go heavy every week and you should probably skip a week here and there if you dead lift and row heavy around the same time.

Originally Posted by HumanHorrorFilm View Post
    First time using the RT, i want a 4 plate RT lift at soem point. The handle caught me WAY off guard on the first attempt. I will keep chins in the routine, although i dont understand how come some days i feel so strong on these and then the enxt set im spent. odd.
    imo that's an excellent start for RT work.. just be wary of the 'tilt' cause if you're interested in getting the most out of the handle or eventually competing in an RT/grip comp then the 'tilt' can be cause for DQ..

but anyway, go get those 4 plates! good luck.

KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Woot. Yeah make sure that you can get those feet moving fast. Do you have AIM? I may not be the strongest in the weight room, but i can sure as hell burn rubber on events day. I have 4 comps under my belt now, so let me know if you want to talk more about the actual prep suggestions and stuff you'll really need to do to be ready. Your first comp ever is like 16 days after my first comp of this season!
    Deos fortioribus adesse.

Welders lift more metal.

Originally Posted by BigDerek View Post
    Its better. For more strength gains just be careful of the volume on the accessory stuff. Once per week for grip should suffice, but dont go heavy every week and you should probably skip a week here and there if you dead lift and row heavy around the same time.
    Yeah. Derek, what do you think about the 3RM Tricep movement? Should i replace that with 4 straight sets of SK or another tricep movement so that i dont take away from the ME/RE portion of the program.

I was thinking hitting heavy RT on weeks 1/3, maybe reps on "deload" week, or another scenario, since im spltting it into two week blocks was to not do RT work on deadlift weeks.

Originally Posted by P0W3RLIFT3R87 View Post
    Here's a link on how to make a log for strongman. It gives detail on how to make one using wood, and then there's a link to how to make one using metal.

http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resou...er.html#events
    Thank you much, im going to look into that and maybe either get my uncle or my pops to help me on fabricating one.

imo that's an excellent start for RT work.. just be wary of the 'tilt' cause if you're interested in getting the most out of the handle or eventually competing in an RT/grip comp then the 'tilt' can be cause for DQ..

but anyway, go get those 4 plates! good luck.
    That tilt threw my WAY off on the first rep of the 125 with my left hand. I could see how the tilt would allow for better leverage.

2/27/08-Lower-DL Focused

Today was a great session, until i hit the GM's, which ill get to soon.

Deadlifts

Snatch Grip Deadlifts

135x5
    185x5

Notes: Performed these as a warmup as i noted last week then definitely helped stretch and warm everything up.

Deadlifts from a Deficit-Done off of two 45's under each foot-basically toes at the bar

185x5
    225x5
    275x5
    325x5

Notes: Happy about these, as I knew I could maybe add another 5-10lbs onto this, but leaving some things to work up to. Im debating on pulling nothing but deficit deads and snatch grip, as the ROM is longer and my weak point on deads has always been from the floor. We shall see.

Front Squats-Close Stance

95x5(WU)
    125x5(WU)
    135x5x2
    140x5x2

Notes: Happy with these, as next week i will do 140x5x2, 145x5x2 and work up from there. Im taking my time with working up the weights, as i have a good solid 4 months to get where i want to be.

SL GM's

135x8x2

Notes: Was shooting for 185x8x3 today, but for some reason, i could not get in the groove and the bar felt very awkward on my back. So i backed off and did some bodyweight hypers

Hypers

bwx15x2

Core-Hanging Leg Raises

bwx10x3

Notes: Gym was crazy crowded today, so this took a bit longer than i wouldhave liked, still a solid session. Its an odd thing, with deadlifts, unless im maxing out, i always know where i stand with them, but with front squats and 90% of other exercises, some days i feel weak as heel and other days i knock it out of the park and i dont know until i get to the gym.

With Deads, they never steer me wrong. Just funny

Nutrition

Didnt track cals on FitDay but here are the meals

Meal 1: 2 scoop whey, oz. Almonds
    meal 2: 6oz ground turkey, 1.5 cups Broccoli/Cauliflower
    meal 3: 8oz Turkey, half an avocado, lettuce, grape tomatoes, cucumbers
    Pre-WO-Scoop Whey
    Peri-WO-15g BCAA
    PWO- Scoop Whey, 1/2 serving Surge
    PPWO Meal- 8oz Jumpbo Shrimp, 1.5c Broccoli, 6 pieces of a Salmon Roll
    Pre-Bed Meal- Scoop Casein, TBSP peanut butter

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you are anything like me, pulling and squatting take a lot out of your core and doing GMs take a lot of core strength. Hence, doing GMs as your final exercise is probabaly gonna rob you of some potential strength. But that's ok man. Follow your program!

Regarding pulling exclusivley from a deficit and with a snatch grip, it sounds like a decent idea. I don't have a lot of experience witht the latter, but I know that pulling from a deficit carries over extremely well to regular deads. The only difference when you go back to regular deads is that you feel like you're doing rack pulls at your hips...which, I may add, is a good thing!!!
    My Training Journal...

Check out...

Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    subscribed (late ) and impressed with the current numbers good luck, sir!

you have to eat carbs, dont rob yourself of them at breakfast.
    Deos fortioribus adesse.

Welders lift more metal.

Ive become very carbaholic lately. I want to get down to under 176, probably 170 honestly, and im constantly afraid ANY carbs will do me in.

I definitely eat carbs in my PWO drink, but what about this for a breakfast shake

2 scoops whey
    2 egg white
    cup of blueberries/strawberries
    tbsp peanut butter
    1/4c granola

Glad your checking in Andalite, look for these numbers to go WAY up

My Training Journal...

Check out...

Originally Posted by RipStone View Post

Thanks Rip.

Funny thing is too, my weight loss has slowed as well, well, it wasnt going real fasy anyway. I kinda cheated last night and had a bit of mashed potatoes at Dinner(went out on a double date with the gf and her friend/bf) and my BW went up 6 lbs when i weighed myself this morning, haha. The scale is a bastard.

im going to start incorporating fruits(which i already eat a good bit) and maybe a piece of ezekiel bread.

Also debating building a sled and doing sled work, not real tazing just additional little workouts, as some days when i get done work early and its an off day i just wanna do something hah

LessThanLuke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LessThanLuke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LessThanLuke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LessThanLuke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LessThanLuke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LessThanLuke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LessThanLuke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LessThanLuke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LessThanLuke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LessThanLuke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LessThanLuke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Subscribed. Good luck with the comp!
    793 deadlift @ 231 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8k57L5fvPk

Closed Thread