sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000)

My workout partner is not seeing results, probably because of alcohol?

My female friend is my workout partner but has not seen any result in the 3 weeks we have worked together. We do body for life style, with friday's being the free day. She is a heavy drinker, getting at least four to five long island ice tea's every time she drinks, and she drinks every free day. Each has almost 800 calories She drinks them like water, and having nearly 4000 calories of alcohal plus all the large amounts of food she eats on Fridays, I see definitly hinders her progress as a 147 pound short female. I think it will be impossible to convince her that the drinking is the problem, as I did not realize each had almost 800 calories. Even if she understands its the problem, she enjoys getting drunk too much. She is ready to quit the program now that she is not seeing results. What can I do to at least help her realize her desire to drink and drink heavy is the reason for her lack of result?
    Last edited by sfetaz; 03-20-2006 at 11:28 PM.
    If you always talk about how you could be in great shape if you just worked out and ate right, why don't you just work out and eat right?

armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Smile

tell her one drink = 80-100 minutes of cardio.
    doesn't watch t.v.

alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    The cheat day on the BFL program doesn't take into account binge eaters/drinkers. Nevertheless, I don't see a huge problem unless she chases those drinks with a deep fried sampler platter. My guess is that she has no idea how long progress for the average person actually takes. Most people who have spectacular before/after shots in 12 weeks are folks who have been in great shape before, & just slacked off for an extended (or not so extended) period. You both should think in terms of having 1-2 cheat meals a week instead of an entire cheat day. Many people can easily un-do their progress in a week if they totally cut loose for an entire day. 8000-15,000 cals in a day is not an unheard of when a repressed dieter goes off.

HELLO. YES, THIS IS DOG. ironstrife's Avatar
    ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by armz_ha
    tell her one drink = 80-100 minutes of cardio.
    ouch

PhatAss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhatAss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhatAss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhatAss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhatAss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhatAss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhatAss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhatAss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhatAss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhatAss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhatAss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That's a good one, tell her for each drink she has, she has to bust ass on the treadmill for an hour and a half.

Seriously, I quit smoking a month ago and had to quit drinking to do so and not drinking like a crazy mofo certainly helps. You don't realize what you're doing until you completely remove yourself and look back on it. 4000 calories just from drinking?? Not to mention that fat shuts down your fat burning/muscle building processes. It's a poison that makes you feel funny, same as LSD, mushrooms. Not saying those are necessarily bad, but they don't have calories

Hotter than your mom Mr. Awesome's Avatar
    Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Drinking is just too awesome to stop doing. I think some things should stay more important than BB.

PoopEater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PoopEater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PoopEater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PoopEater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PoopEater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PoopEater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PoopEater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PoopEater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PoopEater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PoopEater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PoopEater has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    How could one long island iced tea have 800 calories?

Forever cutting..... Blake Austin's Avatar
    Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Mr. Awesome
    Drinking is just too awesome to stop doing. I think some things should stay more important than BB.

LOL Agree, but everything in moderation, even moderation.

When I seriously cut for a three week period or so, I pretty much do not touch alcohol, except for a lite beer or two on the weekends. And dang what a difference it makes for me, in seeing the rips and shreds in my body.
    ~I'm an egomaniac with a inferiority complex...

~I love this crazy, tragic, sometimes almost magic,
    awful, beautiful life.........

Bulking Like a Mo'Fo Strong_Matt's Avatar
    Strong_Matt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Strong_Matt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Strong_Matt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Strong_Matt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Strong_Matt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Strong_Matt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Strong_Matt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Strong_Matt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Strong_Matt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Strong_Matt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Strong_Matt has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    its not necesarilly drinking that makes you fat, its how it messes with your metabolism and blood sugar levels
    which obviously makes you hold more weight from the normal food you eat.

its all about hormones more than calories. but alcohol has a high calorific value - the stronger the drink the more calories.
    "Rudeness is the weak man's strength."

Bulking Like a Mo'Fo Strong_Matt's Avatar
    Strong_Matt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Strong_Matt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Strong_Matt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Strong_Matt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Strong_Matt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Strong_Matt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Strong_Matt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Strong_Matt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Strong_Matt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Strong_Matt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Strong_Matt has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Blake Austin
    LOL Agree, but everything in moderation, even moderation.

When I seriously cut for a three week period or so, I pretty much do not touch alcohol, except for a lite beer or two on the weekends. And dang what a difference it makes for me, in seeing the rips and shreds in my body.
    not to mention its cheaper to get pissed
    "Rudeness is the weak man's strength."

The Sum Of God has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Sum Of God has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    lol she wants to quit because she hasn't seen results in 3 weeks but still drinks and eats like a trucker.

alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Strong_Matt
    its all about hormones more than calories. but alcohol has a high calorific value - the stronger the drink the more calories.
    huh?

dontbuypete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dontbuypete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dontbuypete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dontbuypete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dontbuypete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dontbuypete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dontbuypete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How old is she?

grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by alan aragon
    Most people who have spectacular before/after shots in 12 weeks are folks who have been in great shape before, & just slacked off for an extended (or not so extended) period.
    very true...

grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by PoopEater
    How could one long island iced tea have 800 calories?
    if you make it right it wont... its when bars use the "mix" which is a lot of syrups in it. I always ask them before ordering, most chain restaurants, applebees, tgi f, etc use the mix. most decent bars will make it from scratch, light rum, vodka, gin, tequila + lemon and splash of coke.

Shrade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    2 shots of Bacardi 151 throughout the off night. Wash it down with some water.. atleast that's what I do

sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000)
    While my after picture may not have been as appealing as the winners, I did lose 26 pounds of fat and gained 8 pounds of muscle the first time I ever did BFL and the style has worked for me many times since, especially after I take off from it for way too long.

The concept of the fried platter definitly applies, as she will also eat like a total pig all day. I do the same thing but I don't drink so I don't get the extra 3000-4000 alcohol calories that she does. I also think that some of her weight may be muscle mass. The first week I did a body fat test with my calipers and her side belly and thigh skinfold did not change but her tricep changed so much it showed a increase in muscle mass and decrease in fat. However she is concerned with stomach and thighs only, so the lack of change there disappointed her. She wants scale weight changes, which is understandable since she wants to lose at least 20 lbs of fat. But she loves drinking a whole lot (she is recently 21) has been for a while now and she has the need for that drunken state for whatever reason. If she could get it from less caloric liquers (she's a hard drinker all the way) I am sure she would do it, but the more potent the liquer, the more calories it has, and I see no other way for her to get what she wants in those times.
    Last edited by sfetaz; 03-21-2006 at 03:46 PM.
    If you always talk about how you could be in great shape if you just worked out and ate right, why don't you just work out and eat right?

mikeizlike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeizlike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeizlike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeizlike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeizlike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeizlike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeizlike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeizlike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeizlike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeizlike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Its been 3 weeks, it takes time to see results. I drink twice a week, usually the equivalent to around 10 beers some nights more others less. I still have seen results. Im getting my diet together, even though I will eat a little cheat meal on the weekends. What does she eat usually? Maybe a problem is there. I dont see 800 calories in a Long Island either, but I have never looked into that or drank one