Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

WEEK SIXTY-EIGHT :: What Are The Attitudes Towards Bodybuilding In The Outside World?

* Note: How can I win? Answer all questions in the order that they are asked.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC: What Are The Attitudes Towards Bodybuilding In The Outside World?

For the week of: March 16th - March 22th
    Wednesday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------

Once you begin working out and dieting your complete lifestyle changes. You begin eating healthy foods, sleeping longer hours, putting time aside to workout, etc. Not only that, but your physical appearance also begins to change. You become bigger, stronger, more fit, etc. Sometimes these changes have an effect on the way people view you.

What are some of the attitudes towards bodybuilding in the outside world?

How do these attitudes make you feel about yourself and those that judge you?

What are some of the reactions people make when they see how healthy you eat, or how much bigger or fit you are becoming?

MEN: How do the women respond? WOMEN: How do the men respond?

BONUS QUESTION: Have you lost friends by taking up bodybuilding? Have you gained friends?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

The best response will get $75 in credit to use in our online store! The other good responses will be used in an article on the main Bodybuilding.com site, with the poster's forum name listed by it. Become famous!

Thanks,
    Will
    Webmaster
    Bodybuilding.com
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

Iron7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iron7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iron7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iron7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iron7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iron7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iron7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iron7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iron7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iron7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iron7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This is a good topic to discuss.

mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Iron7
    This is a good topic to discuss.
    I agree.

Good luck to all the writers this week!

lucky579 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucky579 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucky579 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucky579 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucky579 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucky579 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucky579 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucky579 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucky579 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucky579 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucky579 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The outside world is uninformed why people workout, they have a stereotype towards bodybuilders. They think we workout for the girls, which maybe that is a small part of it, but mainly it is for self-improvement. They begin to the think we are obsessed, which maybe we are, but we still live a pretty regular lifestyle, just much more healthy. They're mostly misinformed , but I don't think they have a negative attitude towards bodybuilding. Of course they question why you eat so much, or carry around that gallon jug of water, and never miss a day at the gym.

Nothing will change my opinion on body building, if Britney Spears said she'd marry me if I stop lifting, I wouldn't even have to think about it. I'm lifting to the day I die, and nothing can change that, unless of course I get injured, but I'll still workout once I'm better.

From personal experience people tend to say I'm looking much better, and healthier. I was fairly skinny when I started college, and I've put on a solid thirty pounds of lean body mass. They'll squeeze your biceps and say “wow, you're getting big” or the girls will run their hands up your shirt to feel your well defined abs.

The girls absolutely love it, to be able to hang out with a guy that looks like the guy on the side of an Abercrombie bag, that is cut and muscular. When their friends come, they tell you he has great abs, and that you should see them, or feel them. It's AWESOME!

Personally I wouldn't say I've lost friends to bodybuilding, I don't hang out with them as much since they like to drink, and as we all know alcohol is the worst substance we can put into our body if we're trying to get bigger. We always meet those new people at the gym, that we'll see all the time and we can talk about lifting, work and common b.s.
    I need to eat more at work
    Almost back guys
    deadlift 335x4
    sqaut 245x5
    bench 195x5 (tore roter cuff) Trying to get back into it
    t bar rows 190x5
    incline 115x8 (tore roter cuff)
    5'11 174lbs 7%bf

Matt5387 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Matt5387 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Matt5387 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Matt5387 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Matt5387 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Matt5387 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Matt5387 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Matt5387 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Matt5387 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Matt5387 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Matt5387 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Bodybuilding is seen negatively by many. First of all when the term bodybuilding is brought up the first thing that comes to the minds of many are PRO Bodybuilders. Many people view these pros as disgusting yet others see them as astonishing but only because they are so freakishly big and its hard to believe that people can actually get that big. Women bodybuilders are also looked down upon because of their man like features. All of the other guys that aren't pros and just hit the gym every day are considered meat heads even if they have a higher IQ than the skinny guys making fun of them. Bodybuilding also has a trend of gay followers and supporters which brings humor to the sport and competitors themselves. Some people are amazed with the dedication of bodybuilders to stick with a strict routine and diet while others think it is a waste. Many people don't understand the will power of a body builder. They don't understand that going to the gym every day, working your ass off, counting your calories, eating every 2 hours, sleeping 8 hours a day all pays off when you see a difference in the mirror. But not only seeing a difference but feeling a difference makes everything so much better.

These attitudes make me feel better about myself. People know that I go to the gym and work hard for the body I have. When I was younger I hated being short and I knew the only other way to get attention was to get big. And im not saying that it is ALL about attention but who doesn't love alitttle attention here and there. I knew it was my way of getting noticed. So I hit the gym everyday and drank my protein shakes so that I could develop a physique that I was happy with. Bodybuilding is alot about improvment and making yourself better. If people think that im a meat head than so be it because very little can be said to destroy the confidence gained with body building.

Everytime I see a friend that I haven't seen in awhile they always notice that I have gotten bigger. A common reaction is questioning if im on steroids. This is an amazing feeling because I know that im not. People may not believe me but I know the truth and that's all that matters. Compliments always make you feel better too.

Women always notice it. Sometimes they make it obvious and ask if they can see your 6 pack but other times they are very shy and timid about it and dont say anything. Girls love muscles but majority don't like too much muscle. But matter of fact, it's not the muscles that get the girls, It's the confidence that comes along with the muscle that gets them.

Personally I have not lost any friends due to body building and I see no reason why one would lose a friend. I am still the same person with the same personality. But i definantly gained friends because of body building. Everytime you go to the gym you meet someone new.
    Last edited by Matt5387; 03-17-2006 at 01:11 AM.
    Teen Body Builder of the Week #96
    www.WhatsUpWithIt.com

Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Topic of the Week:

Changing how I, and they, view me:

INTRO

Making the decision to ‘get into shape’, ‘lose weight’, or whatever moniker you use brings with it a lot of changes; at least I know it did for me. You begin to change the way that you act, eat, drink, and even think. Soon your hard work begins to pay off, and the changes start to show. The fat pouch starts to shrink, and the definition begins to show. Soon you aren’t just staring at yourself in the mirror, but others are making comments about the changes you’ve made. Soon you’ve became one of THOSE PEOPLE!!! (Queue dramatic music)

People in the outside world seem to feel strongly about bodybuilding, whether that is for or against. Many people see the benefits of bodybuilding on a personal, medical, and even an economical level. However, the flip side of that is not quite as pretty. For every person who understands bodybuilding, there is one who despises it. A large majority of people unfamiliar with bodybuilding will only see the negative connotations attached. Like the little grandmother who thinks that creatine is a steroid, and that of course we are all pumping synthol into our biceps. These people are not bad, just uneducated. It is almost as if being into bodybuilding means that you are associated with drug use.

I try not to focus on the negative connotations, but instead I focus on correcting them. I gladly tell anyone that will listen about the changes I have made, how I made them, and why I chose to do so. It would be easy to take it personal that a large part of society doesn’t understand bodybuilding or bodybuilders, but I think the key is to correct misunderstandings where we can. My biggest gripe about public perception is that regardless of how widespread bodybuilding has become, many do not view it as a sport. I would say that is the one thing that really irks me.

What are some of the reactions people make when they see how healthy you eat, or how much bigger or fit you are becoming?

To really understand where I am coming from here, you have to understand my former eating habits. If there is a food that you would never eat during a cut, well then that was the food I ate daily. Pizza, donuts, Mexican, and Chinese food galore! So it makes me laugh to remember the first time I sat down in front of my wife with a Grilled Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast and a bowl full of green beans.

The reactions I typically receive aren’t based so much on my eating habits (since most of my meals are consumed alone), but on the changes I have made. I’ve lost over 80lbs so far, so as you can guess there have been a lot of changes. The biggest compliment I receive is when someone doesn’t recognize me anymore. I ran into an old friend who hadn’t seen me since I started losing weight and he literally did not know who I was for a few minutes. Aside from that, you receive the typical ‘have you lost weight’ and ‘you are looking so much younger/better/thinner/hotter’ comments.

The biggest reaction I will receive hasn’t happened yet though. Later this year I will get see my dad for the first time since I started losing weight, and I just cannot wait to see the shock on his face when he sees his son 100+lbs lighter.

How do the women respond?

The women, hmm, this question could get me into trouble. Well, the woman in my life, my wife Lisa, has responded quite well. I must say that me losing weight has increased every aspect of our marriage. The women I work with or see at the gym tend to have positive comments quite often as well, but I try to keep the shameless flirting to a dull roar. I have had my rear smacked a few times… this week.

BONUS QUESTION: Have you lost friends by taking up bodybuilding? Have you gained friends?

Simple Answer: Yes, I have lost friends.

Long Answer: The friends that I lost were not the type of people I need in my life, so I don’t consider it so much of a loss. So far in my quest to ‘get fit’ I’ve found out quite a bit more about myself. I’ve found goals, morals, and even standards. So while some people in my life have gone, it is probably better that way.

On the flip side, I’ve gained some amazing friends. While it may be cheesy to call fellow forum members friends, that is just what they are. I’ve received so much knowledge from some of the guys here on the bodybuilding.com forums that I cannot help but call some my friends. When you share similar goals and challenges it just seems to click. I don’t make many friends at the gym though; I’m just too busy giving it every ounce of blood, sweat, and tears that I have.

Joshua Graston aka Stonecoldtruth

mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What Are The Attitudes Towards Bodybuilding In The Outside World?

Intro

If you're into bodybuilding, you can probably recall a time in your life where you were in the office and you suddenly whip out a can of tuna fish or chug a protein shake -- only to be confronted by the others around you sending awkward looks your way.

As you continue eating, one of the others asks, "Didn't you just eat lunch two hours ago?"

Welcome to the bodybuilding lifestyle.

The Bodybuilding Lifestyle

As bodybuilders, we eat like horses, sleep like babies, and train like animals. Come to think of it, we're kind of like machines.

We eat every 2-3 hours, set time aside for training, take our supplements, and get at least 8 hours of sleep daily, and then repeat.

The bodybuilding lifestyle is one that requires dedication, devotion, persistence, and most importantly -- time.

What Are the Attitudes Towards Bodybuilding In The Outside World?

As bodybuilders, you must also be able to deal with the never-ending questions about what you’re eating, why you're eating it, and why you eat so much.

You must also be able to deal with the attitudes you get from others regarding your bodybuilding lifestyle.

Now, not everybody in the outside world questions bodybuilding like the examples given above. As a matter of fact, there are actually a plethora of people out there who respect you as a bodybuilder.

See, the people who pester you about your eating and "different" lifestyle are simply uneducated. When you try explaining to them that you're a bodybuilder -- the perplexity of the concept deepens.

However, there are also people that respect you for your dedication in the bodybuilding game. These people often dish out compliments to you regarding the changes in your physique and the devotion that you display paying off.

These people are the ones that keep me going. It's a great feeling when you dedicate so much of your time to attaining that ultimate physique, and get compliments along the way.

In short, the outside world has two different perceptions towards bodybuilding. There are those people who are simply uneducated about bodybuilding, and there are those who respect your lifestyle and act as a sense of motivation.

The people who are uneducated or misinformed about bodybuilding don't bother me at all. Over the last few years, I have learned to tune these people out.

The most you can do is simply answer their questions in a straightforward fashion. Explain to them that you live a lifestyle that promotes heart health, a healthy mind and body, dedication, and willpower.

Tell them your story, such as how much weight you have gained or lost since taking up bodybuilding. Who knows, maybe you'll convert them to bodybuilding!

Those who respect my lifestyle obviously make me feel good. The compliments they give me act as tiny rewards along the way. Besides, it's always great when the cute girls in class ask me to flex.

I get the most compliments at school. The reason being is that I've been going to school with the same group of kids for the last 5 years or so. They've seen how much I've changed in my appearance over the last 5 years -- going from a weak, anorexic, and unhealthy 87 pounds to a 165 pound healthy human being.

As a result, they praise my dedication and hard work towards attaining my goal of competing in my first bodybuilding show next year.

The others at the lunch table are now used to the "different" lunches I bring to school each day - consisting of a tuna fish sandwich, a protein shake, and almonds.

At first, they would always comment on how badly the tuna fish smelled. I continued eating my tuna fish sandwiches week after week, month after month, year after year. I also continued gaining more and more muscle mass week after week, month after month, year after year.

As time progressed, I stopped getting the comments and questions regarding my tuna fish. The others see how big I got over time and now respect me for my dedication.

In fact, my friend who is trying to gain weight for the football team started bringing tuna fish sandwiches to lunch now!

The reactions of how much bigger I have gotten are the best. I'm sure we can all recall a time when we ran into someone we haven't seen in awhile. Remember the other person's reaction when he or she realized much more fit or bigger you have gotten? It was priceless, wasn't it?

I recently ran into my old buddy back from junior high and he remembers me being gaunt and thin. He was astonished when he saw how big I got! He hardly recognized me! That is one of the best feelings!

The women dishing out compliments and asking you to flex is possibly one of the greatest feelings ever.

It seems as if I never go a day at school without having to flex or let the girls feel my muscles these days.

Of course, this is a great feeling and I'm usually flattered when they ask me to flex -- but I keep an even mindset about it, as I don't want to get too big-headed or egotistical about it!

Have you lost friends by taking up bodybuilding? Have you gained friends?

Gained friends, hands down.

I have met so many new people over the last few years or so because of bodybuilding. Bodybuilding has made me much more confident about myself and less self-conscious. As a result, I have made many new friends!

I have also made several friends at the gym because of bodybuilding. We're all the same age and share the same goals. We now workout at the same times, give each other advice, and hang out on the weekends!

Live life to the fullest,

Mike
    Last edited by mivi320; 03-19-2006 at 11:40 AM.

Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by mivi320

Live life to the fullest,

Mike
    I may be your competition, but that was a damn fine article

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stonecoldtruth
    I may be your competition, but that was a damn fine article
    Thanks man

Your article was just as good!

Registered User coaster-carl123's Avatar
    coaster-carl123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What are the attitudes to bodybuilding in the outside world?

Introduction
    You know the feeling, the feeling you get inside of you as the world judges you. Whether the comments are good or bad, no matter how good or bad they make you feel, an underlying feeling still remains. This feeling reveals to you that you are a member of something big, a member of a society filled with those who are willing to take risks, to grab the bull by the horns and not let go, to take what you desire. You my friend are, to quote ANIMAL PAk, a member in the brotherhood of iron. But, why do people look at you this way? What do people in the outside world think about your habits and how has it affected you?

In my personal experiences, there are definitely mixed views about bodybuilding. In my school and family alone I can share with you countless opinions about the sport. Obviously, the ones who are bodybuilders or try to bodybuild see it as lifestyle and are dedicated. But, those are not the only opinions. Some see it as something they would like to do but for one reason or another do not. Others see it as a waste of time. Those are the type of kids who complain when you have to go to the weight room for gym class and then make fun of you for trying hard. Those are the slackers who either know crap about the iron game or who have absolutely no goals in life. Others see bodybuilders and have no negative comments but admit they just don't care. But, probably the ones encountered most often are the ones who think they know everything and try and tell you that the sport is dangerous and you should not do it. No matter who you talk to, there are so many different opinions about bodybuilding that to chronicle all of them would take me four years to type.

When I hear other people's opinions about bodybuilding, I have mixed feelings. When I hear opinions about how stupid it is or how it is a waste of time or dangerous, I just ignore it because those people are obviously either misinformed or just plain ignorant. But, some opinions, such as how good people look who bodybuild, well I use them to feed my fire. High school is a trying time for any one and nothing is more depressing than to hear how good someone else looks. Even if its true, even if they're your best friend, even good things are said about you too, it still hurts. It makes you want to train harder so that you become the best, so that all anybody else talks about is you. That may sound arrogant and for all it may not be true, but it helps me get the desire I need to train intensely.

I could write a twenty-page thesis on how people treat me now that I do this sport. Some things I find very flattering and they make me very happy. I get comments about how big I look, how much broader my shouders are, how much skinnier I look, etc. These comments are what I strive to get. Then there's the comments that are made jokingly. These don't make me angry because they come from my friends and I know they are in good fun. The questions about my diet (I really get hammered when I bring a salad to lunch, even though its full of chicken). They love to pick when you won't eat fast food on Friday night or pack a tuna sandwich for lunch. Its also funny when they calle me "Roids" because I take supplements and because I have an occasional outburst of rage, mainly during dodgeball. All of these are just minor annoyances and are sometimes funny. But what really makes me mad is when people call taking supplements cheating. Those who brag about being all natural but can only bench press 115lbs when they weigh 160lbs. They think they know everything but they don't know squat. They don't know what its like to be dedicated because they quit at the first sign of adversity.

MEN: How do the women respond?
    For me, women respond in different ways. You see, I get very little of women coming after me because of my new lifestyle. But, I do have to say I talk to a lot more girls because I have a lot more confidence, and as a result, they like me more. Actually, its surprising how many girls I talk to about bodybuilding and how knowledgable, or at least willing to learn, many of them are. In all reality, I have gotten more attention and have to say girls at least talk to me a lot more. We'll see what happens once I have arms around 18, 19 inches.

This question is very easy to answer. I have not lost a single friend by taking up bodybuilding and I have gained many. Like I said previously a lot more girls talk to me so as a result I have more friends. But, I have also gained friends from going to the gym, going to bench press competitions, and just talking to people about bodybuilding. Its amazing how many people are willing just to talk about it and how easy it is to make friends when you have common ground. I have also gotten a lot closer to some of my other friends. We know have something else in common and more things to talk about or do together. I have to say that despite some of the negative connotations the outside world may have about bodybuilding, my little world has improved greatly since I started.

Ernie_Reese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What are some of the attitudes towards bodybuilding in the outside world

I have encountered many different points of view on bodybuilding. There are the people that are generally uninformed about bodybuilding, the people that suffer from self-imposed ignorance (meaning they know little about bodybuilding and don't want to learn), the people that think that any form of physical improvement most be from drug use, and the people that are inspired by the change in your body.

Some people can respect the mental focus, and determination that it takes to achieve a strong, athletic physique. Others believe that I train and eat for,
    vanity or to satisfy some time of complex.

My interaction with different people has lead me to believe that not everyone is meant to understand why we bodybuilders go through what we do. They'll never understand the feeling we get when we add 5.lbs to a lift, get more reps than we did last week, or see a positive change in our bodies.

How do these attitudes make you feel about yourself and those that judge you

I try to handle these attitudes the same why my digestive system handles food; soak up the good stuff and let the bad stuff pass on through. When I encounter someone that is just ignorant to the iron game or someone that has a general interest, I share what litle knowlegde I have. When I meet someone that thinks that weight training is dangerous, or that all bodybuilders abuse steroids, or does not have any interest in changing their body what can I do? I listen to their position, then I tell them mine. If their set on being a pessimist, I just let them be.

I get some quite interesting feedback from people. When I see someone that I haven't seen since high school I hear the expected "Wow, I didn't recognize you." or "Have you been working out?". Occasionally I hear "What are you on?". But the best is the classic "How much can you lift?", and of course when you say "In what lift?" they look at you as if your speaking Latin.

I see looks of confusion when others see how healthy I eat. They don't understand the supplements, the egg white omelets, or the skinless chicken breasts.

Most women that I've meet respond positively (I probably didn't pay attention to any negative response). It's a good feeling to see women check out the muscle that you've worked so hard to build.

When you change it can be hard for people around you because it forces them to change as well (I think I heard that on Dr.Phil). I haven't lost any friends but I definately have seen a change in my relationship to a few. They may not understand that I don't want order dessert with them because I have already had my cheat for the week, or that I am not pigging out because I will be doing heavy deadlifts or squats later on and I don't want to "revisit" the meal.

I have gained so many friends by lifting in my university's weight room. I go there and I an surrounded by people that share the same obsession/hobby/love that I have.
    Last edited by Ernie_Reese; 03-19-2006 at 09:59 PM.

You don't know SQUAT squat_princess's Avatar
    squat_princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) squat_princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) squat_princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) squat_princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) squat_princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) squat_princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) squat_princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) squat_princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) squat_princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) squat_princess will become famous soon enough. (+50) squat_princess will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking Attitudes towards bodybuilding in the outside world

Alot of people don't think of it as a serious or realistic thing. The outside world doesnt seem to understand or respect the mental and physical dedication towards this life style. People think I'm crazy carrying around a cooler full of tubbaware, and the ones who know me wonder how i have "so much time" to spend at the gym. While most people are unnapreciative of the inner and outer strength of this life style, there are the few that are awe stricken and inspired by the transformations my body goes through.

Many people think that the asthetical aspect of bodybuilding is unattainable, and next to impossible. It is difficult sometimes for a bodybuilder who is not it top shape to be accepted by those around them. I remember when I was first starting out, I read so many articals, magazines, books and such, and changed my life around. I started eating more, drinking more water, carying around food and protein, taking supplements. Although my body was lacking, I was still pushing- and no one would take me serious. "You're wasting your money and time" was the feel I got from most people. They'd look at me making a protein shake in my shaker, and glance at my not so "perfect" physique, and smirk. its tough starting out. But once you're in the game, there is alot of jelousy and admiration, but still there are those who think you're crazy for spending so much time, effort and money on the lifestyle.

Being a woman in this lifestyle is difficult as well. The outside world (especially my parents!)think my biceps are not feminine, or my legs are too muscular. The frail look of women all over the magazines, TV and runways seems to be the "look" women are going for these days. So seeing a strong muscular woman for some is not always acceptable.

I feel great about myself. I feel proud holding onto the subway pole, and having people stare at my biceps. lol. I know that sometimes I feel a little bad when some one would say to me, "why don't you try taking pilates or something?" or "lighten up on the weights, you're getting veiny". I've reconsidered the life style ONCE, but that lasted about 20 minutes into a cardio session, then I hopped off and hit the weights heavier than the last workout. Felt amazing.

Those that judge me actually inspire me. They notice my hard work, and that's why they look, and that's why hey judge. I know when I see another muscular person, I judge them. It's natural. If some one comments positively toward me, I feel great! a couple times people have asked me for my glute workout at the gym, followed by a million questions. I felt honoured, and really proud of myself. When I get a negative response, I look down at the flab on the person's stomach, arms or whatever, and smile.

I always get a little smirk from people who see my food in the fridge at work. "You eat that much, and look like that?" I always get asked, "Do you workout?" I want to reply, "no you dumbass, it's hereditary." People closest to me give me little nick names, "hey Shira, or little amazon" When they see me less clothed, i always get the "wow..." from them. Not to mention the constant "flex for me!" I get alot of attention from people, strangers and the ones that are closest to me. Ofcourse there are always the ones who have to try and shoot me down with the, "why do you spend so much money?" and "why don't you try pilates?" Shut up already.

Men like it. most of them do at least. Always turning heads, and trying to talk to me about training or whatever. My boyfriend loves my lower body and stomach. He keeps taking pictures of me. But he wants me to lighten up on the upper body training... which leads me to...

Friends is a strong word. to me it's as strong as the word love. Have I LOST any FRIENDS? no. Have I GAINED any FRIENDS? no. I"ve made plenty of conversation with people in my gym about training and nutrition, which lead to other conversation. So i guess i've made a few aquaintances. I've gotten a little aggrivated towards friends who've tried to get me to stop what I'm doing, or asked me to train with them, and then later invite me to Taco Bell. Also those friends that try to tempt me to "live a little" and pig out on brownies, margaritas, and tostidos with cheese and salsa... drive me bananas! Can't you see that there's no room to "LIVE A LITTLE" your way when i'm living my whole life my way?
    Last edited by squat_princess; 03-19-2006 at 11:17 PM.
    BodyByXenia.com
    AntiHeroFitness.com

Vaughner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bodybuilding is a lifestyle and a commitment, when I first began I wasn't overly strict on my diet since my choice of foods was not always very large, but as I grew and became more focused and learned my way of life changed and along with that brought many changes both in myself and in the way others viewed me and my lifestyle.

There are a few typical kinds of reactions towards those who live the bodybuilding lifestyle from the everyday person. First, there is the naysayer, the person who asks why you eat that, why you workout, telling you there's no point and you're not living life to the fullest. The naysayer often will try to break you and tempt you with food when you're dieting or get you to miss a workout. They are usually envious of your dedication since they lack that willpower and will try to bring you down to their level to show you that you can't do it because they can't. Second is the regular person who just doesn't understand. Unlike the naysayer they don't try to get you to change or give up, they just don't understand why you eat like you do and make it to the gym four or five times a week. They ask why you have a gym bag full of tupperware with food in it that you bring with you, and marvel at how you're always going to the gym when they can't make it more than once or twice a week at best. These people are mostly uneducated as to what you're doing and are probably the ones I have encountered most, they are the people in office asking why you're eating AGAIN when you just ate two hours ago, and when you tell them they ask why you want to get bigger, they just don't have the same drive towards exercise and bodybuilding that people who follow the lifestyle have, nor do they understand the drive. Also, they are the ones who come to you asking what to do when they want to start making changes. Third, you have the people who are indifferent. They understand why you eat so much and what you're trying to accomplish, they just don't have the determination or desire to do the same. Finally, there are the people who support you, they compliment your changing physique and support the fact that you eat healthy and exercise regularly, even if they don't themselves. These people are the ones that make it easier to keep going at it, for all the people who put you down or stereotype you as a meathead these people respect you and what you do and make it worth it.

I have mostly learned to block out the people who don't understand and try to break you, and I have even all but given up on trying to explain why to the people who ask unless they are asking for help with their own fitness because it usually just falls on deaf ears anyways. It feels good when someone compliments you on your dedication, it motivates you to keep going and work harder. I am lucky to have people in my family who understand what it takes to keep yourself in shape and that its not just going to the gym a few times a week, it is an entire lifestyle change.

Most people, especially those you don't see very often will compliment you on the changes and ask what you've been doing or what you changed. For myself, when I meet someone and tell them I'm in college, one of the first questions is usually if i play sports. Most people will respect someone who is trying to maintain good health and eat better because it isn't always easy to do.

Reactions of the opposite sex

Every girl has a different reaction, some girls like their guys skinny, some like them bigger, some average. Most of the reactions I get are positive, many girls like muscular men and will compliment you on your arms, legs, butt, abs whatever they happen to be putting their hands on.

I haven't lost or gained many friends through bodybuilding. I only have a couple friends who bodybuild as well, and I probably wouldn't be friends with them if it wasn't for that. However, most of my friends do not enjoy weight lifting. All of them have tried coming to the gym with me at one point or another but eventually drop out because they aren't dedicated and don't enjoy the act of training.

RippedJordanian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedJordanian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedJordanian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedJordanian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedJordanian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedJordanian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    great job guys, this is prob the most week that has recieved articles
    im gonna post mine tomorrow

Wow

Wow guys, this has been a great turnout this week. Judging from the past articles there weren't a lot of entries, but I'm glad to see the re-emergence of the TotW full force...

Too bad only 3 of us can win!

Josh

dnborycz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnborycz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnborycz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnborycz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnborycz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnborycz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnborycz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnborycz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

The looks and reactions I got when I first started bodybuilding were all over the map, but the one thing they all had in common were being bad. From friends saying "What do you need to change for, you're fine just as you are. You're the big guy, it fits your personality" to classmates looks of disgust when the class gets a 10 minute break and I whip out a pack of tuna and potato to stuff down before we get started again. If there's one thing people in society don't want today, it's discipline and dedication, and that's exactly what it takes to be a bodybuilder. No instant gratification, no letting things slide, no just giving in. People look at bodybuilders they same way they'd look at monks, thinking "why would you give up so much for something unnecessary like spiritual enlightenment, or a healthy and able body" I think that the word I'd use for peoples' attitudes towards bodybuilding in general is dismay, because they just don't get it.

I have to say that everytime somebody gives me one of those looks when I eat, or says something snide when I talk about bodybuilding, it really encourages me to do more, and get bigger. In a society where more and more people are obese, and sedentary, and have no drive or discipline, being an outcast for being fit and health concious should be a badge of honor.

People that know me, or knew me a long time ago and see me now, always give me a bad reaction when they see how fit I am now. I was always the big guy, who could eat more and drink more than everybody else at the party, but after college that quickly lost its appeal and I started to lose weight and gain some muscle. Now when my college friends see me again, they always ask why I'd want to change. Such a huge part of our personality and how we see ourself, and how others see us, is wrapped up in who we are physically, that it can't help but make a huge difference when you dramatically change your body. And especially going from being around the kind of people that like to indulge and eat too much and eat badly, to giving those things up, it makes other people who don't hold themselves to those standards feel self concious, and they react with ridicule.

This is definitely the one area where I have seen a positive response, women love a thin, muscular man. Even if you're married, they still want to touch and ask you to flex. It's an amazing response, and it'll boost your ego like nothing else.

I have definitely lost friends by taking up bodybuilding, but that's because of who I was and who my friends were before I started doing it. I don't mind the friends I lost because of it, they will continue to live their indulgent lives into an early grave. I haven't really gained friends from bodybuilding either, but for me it is a personal thing. I don't want to talk at the gym, I don't want to socialize or make friends, I'm there to beat my lifts, to get bigger and push till I'm weak. There's no room for friends in there.

Get out of my face! equilibrium's Avatar
    equilibrium has a spectacular aura about. (+250) equilibrium has a spectacular aura about. (+250) equilibrium has a spectacular aura about. (+250) equilibrium has a spectacular aura about. (+250) equilibrium has a spectacular aura about. (+250) equilibrium has a spectacular aura about. (+250) equilibrium has a spectacular aura about. (+250) equilibrium has a spectacular aura about. (+250) equilibrium has a spectacular aura about. (+250) equilibrium has a spectacular aura about. (+250) equilibrium has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    waiting to see it man, good luck

Powerlifting, Football BakesPimpRB23's Avatar
    BakesPimpRB23 is not very helpful. (-500) BakesPimpRB23 is not very helpful. (-500) BakesPimpRB23 is not very helpful. (-500) BakesPimpRB23 is not very helpful. (-500) BakesPimpRB23 is not very helpful. (-500) BakesPimpRB23 is not very helpful. (-500) BakesPimpRB23 is not very helpful. (-500) BakesPimpRB23 is not very helpful. (-500) BakesPimpRB23 is not very helpful. (-500) BakesPimpRB23 is not very helpful. (-500) BakesPimpRB23 is not very helpful. (-500)

Well... everyone tends to have their own opinions toward bodybuilders. Some people look at it positively and are there to congraduate you every opportunity they get. Others just don't understand bodybuilding and consider it weird that a person would dedicate such a majority of their lives towards bodybuilding. They see you eat clean foods every couple of hours and just treat it like your some kind of freak show. Then there are those people that just become flat out jealous of someone's accomplishments. They give such responses as "Why would you want to look like that?" or "You must have no life". Along with that comes the people always believing that someone that does bodybuilding automatically takes steroids. Those really are the people that have no life.

Then comes the small group of people that no one has seemed to really mention yet. Let's face reality, alot of them tend to hate all bodybuilders with a passion. Those people are the Powerlifters. Not to offend a powerlifter or anything because their are alot of them that hold no hostility towards bodybuilders and I have been on both sides of the fence as well. However, i feel that everyone involved in the two sports can tell how often bodybuilders and powerlifters do judge eachother. It does work both ways and their is really no dark side to it. Its just that bodybuilders look like they are stronger/ healthier and powerlifters are generally stronger and look less muscular. Its kinda bizzare how two such related sports can actually be so different.

How do these attitudes make you feel towards bodyuilding?

My personal opinion is that people are starting to view bodybuilders alot more positively than they have in years past. Weather you do it for a hobby or a profession. It is just something that has become more popular and competitive throughout the years. There are always going to be people that are against bodybuilding. I try my best to block out the negative and use all the positive as motivation.

How do women respond to this?

Most women like the looks of men with muscular and lean bodies, but it seems like their is a limit just like there is in anything else. Too much of anything almost always turns into a negative thing. Most women i have been around always like to see a guy with six pack abs and muscular arms. These same people will then look at a bodybuilder in a magazine with digust. Their seems to be a breaking point that varies amongst most females. Alot of women also seemed to be turned off by a guy that worries about his diet 24/7. They want them healthy, just not obsessed. However, the level of competition makes it nearly impossible to be successful in bodybuilding without watching your diet strictly at all times. I tend to try and explain to women why I enjoy bodybuilding and the benefits that I recieve from it and most women will understand me and accept me for it.

Its been about half and half on this question. I have lost friends that just didn't understand the sport. I have also gained friendships from people that are interested in the sport as well. I think that alot of this has to do with one's attitude. If you remain humble about your accomplishments, you will retain most of your friends and gain others as well. There are always going to be people that don't accept you for your accomplishments. If they don't accept you though, then they probably weren't people that you would want as a friend anyways.

In conclusion, i feel that bodybuilding is a tremendous hobby/lifestyle that I would recommend to almost anyone. It teaches a person dedication and determination just as well if not better than anything else. You push yourself to the limit and get some results for your hard work.

P.S. I tried to keep it short and to the point...thanks guys and goodluck in persuing your bodybuilding goals
    Last edited by BakesPimpRB23; 03-21-2006 at 03:46 PM.

Xsamson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Attitudes of the outside world

I've been lifting for 27 years, and several years ago competed to commemorate turning 40. I was in the best shape of my life, and it felt great to compete again after 15 years in competition retirement. (I had both knees worked on in 1984, and they ended up in worse condition after the surgery, so for years I simply was too afraid to try to have them worked on again, and basically gave up on competitive bodybuilding.) Anyway, you would think that people you know well would be at least superficially supportive of you for something that is important to you, and that you dedicated so much time, money, and effort to accomplish, but not too suprisingly, the opposite seemed to be true. Apparently, from what I can surmise from the lack of support, folks are so depressed about their own inability to exercise a modicum of self control or dedication in their own lives, that even when I am in my worst shape, they display an animosity towards me, which worsens in direct proportion to my increased conditioning.

How do they make me feel?
    Nobody lives in a vaccum, and I've been training at home alone for the last several years, so lacking the support structure of like minded people from a gym atmosphere, it is very tough. When 100% of the comments and attitudes are negative, it's like me against the world, at work anyway, but luckily, I don't live my entire life at my job, so I do get some positive feedback occasionally.

Reactions?
    See above. The best response I can remember is one time when I went to a grammar school class with an anchorperson, who was extremely proud of her accomplishments and postion, and very eager to answer the children's questions about her career etc. and the kids kept asking me questions about how I got that way, and how much I could lift etc. It was probably the most flattering moment of my life.

How do women respond?
    I probably should write a book on this subject. But for this instance, I'll try to just stick to a couple of examples that stick out in my mind. My first year of hard-core training was my senior year in high school. At 6', I went from 130 lbs. to 175 (with 3-4% fat). My training partner and I worked out in those days, 2.5 - 3 hours per day, 6 days per week, up to 45 sets per body part, 3x per week, never missed a workout or a meal, and were as dedicated as any bodybuilder could ever be. We also worked out harder than I've ever witnessed anyone train before. So, I was quite surprised when my partner asked a couple of ladies we were talking to what they thought of bodybuilders, and they said, "oooo, they're gross! But we like guys who are built like you are." Amazing.
    My last girlfriend, who I dated (and was engaged to twice), for over 11 years, thought that the only reason I could possibly want to compete would be to get attention from other women. Every time I decided that I was going to compete again, she would break up with me because of it. She thought that the time, energy, and money would be better spent on her and us together. It didn't matter that I was only training for that one contest.
    I really think that most women really don't know what they want or like. They have to be told by Cosmo, a talk show or the consensious of their friends.
    They are naturally attracted to muscular guys, but don't want to admit it in front of others, because of the stigma still attached to bodybuilders and bodybuilding.
    It's really funny though, because the weight loss industry is a multi-Bilion dollar industry, and probably 50% of the population is at any one time trying some new fad diet or other, usually to see startling success for a week or two, then to see their efforts sputter, and then give up by week 3 or 4. It's only funny because if they would only open their minds enough to let a new or different concept enter, they would quickly discover that the methods and lifestyle that bodybuilders have been embracing for the last 40 years are exactly the remedy for their problem. Like many women who don't work out at all because "I don't want to get big and bulky like those bodybuilder women". Their attitudes betray their ignorance of the dedication, extreme effort and lifestyle adjustments required to induce radical changes in the body.

Gain loss friends?
    I've met some people in the gym that I've developed relationships with over the years. I haven't lost any friends that I know of, but if it were to cause someone to distance themselves from me, then those are the type of people that I don't need in my life anyway.

I think it is encombant upon us all to try to set good examples for others about the positive physical, mental, and emotional benifits our lifestyle offers.We need the general public to learn to appreciate and thus hopefully support our sport, if we want to have more opportunities to earn our livings in this area that we love. It might just save Billions of dollars in health care costs also, so the importance of public acceptance cannot be overstated.

HBY18202 is just really nice. (+1000) HBY18202 is just really nice. (+1000) HBY18202 is just really nice. (+1000) HBY18202 is just really nice. (+1000) HBY18202 is just really nice. (+1000) HBY18202 is just really nice. (+1000) HBY18202 is just really nice. (+1000) HBY18202 is just really nice. (+1000) HBY18202 is just really nice. (+1000) HBY18202 is just really nice. (+1000) HBY18202 is just really nice. (+1000)

My Entry

Introduction

Bodybuilding means many things to many people and has for years. For some, Arnold is just another household name, a meathead, or an idol depending on who you ask. For those who see weightlifting as a hobby, it is only in ones deepest concern that they see results. Everyone’s been there. Remember the first time you heard about creatine? I could have swore I was going to make Gustavo look like Richard Simmons. I think it’s a part of maturing as a lifter. From when your workout plan included nothing but curls and bench press, and now to everything from kickbacks to cable crossovers, it makes you feel better about yourself. Who doesn’t love being asked, “Have your arms got bigger?” Or doing your sets and watching the people around you follow you and start doing the same routines, because obviously it’s working, which only fuels your fire to become bigger, faster, and stronger.

As a student, it has its ups and its downs. There’s always some looks during the middle of class when you eat a protein bar or drink a shake. The normal response normally progresses and ends up along the lines of “stupid meathead”. I guess this isn’t true in all cases, but the majority of the fifteen minute breaks that I have are spent browsing the supplement and workout routine forums here, and it never fails that the same people pass everyday and ask if I’ve been looking at steroids again. The outside world’s lack of knowledge is also annoying in certain areas. I hate it when you work day and night to achieve gains, and when you start to reap your profits, word going around is your on steroids when the truth is the majority of the people you lift with could easily progress as well as you if they dedicated themselves in the manner that you have. In a way, I guess it’s sort of mental push. Everyone expects me to do it, and who am I to let them down? I love being the guy that when someone starts looking into creatine, they come and ask me which they should get, when they should take it and if it’s going to make their testicles shrink (honestly, creatine is considered a steroid to most outside of bodybuilding). I wouldn’t even call it bodybuilding. There’s so much more that goes into than just building your muscles. Mental preparation is key, because if you walk into the gym lazy, you’re going to lift lazy, and it’s a simple fact.

How do those attitudes make you feel about yourself and those that judged you?

It used to bother me, because all I cared about was becoming what I thought others liked to see. But as of late, it’s a mixture or appearance, becoming what I want to be in my own standards. When you become stronger, you size others up. You say in your mind “I can deadlift more than him, and you can.” Things that you used to feel insecure about suddenly don’t seem as important. The outside world’s view of bodybuilding serves as a fuel for my routine. As a morning lifter (and a hard sleeper!), any motivation for me to succeed and do what others don’t is happily welcomed. In the latest issue of muscle and fitness, one supplement company said a statement that gave me chills. I blew it up over 10 sheets on Microsoft word and put it overtop my bed, so it’s the first thing when I wake up. The quote says, “There are two kinds of people in this world. The Ninety-Nines and the Ones. The Ninety Nines… That’s what I call ‘em. Ninety-Nine out of a hundred people can’t fathom what I do. They scratch their heads, can’t believe my dedication to this great sport. Many don’t even think this is a sport or that I have a life. Never let others define your ‘life’ for you. This is what I have chosen. This is the road I’ve taken, with all the potholes, bumps, and turns. The Ninety-Nines, they can’t commit 100% to being their best, to step up and one day stand tall among the giants.”
    To some it’s just another boring quote, but to me, its motivation to get out of bed in the morning and do what has become my addiction, my lifestyle. Some won’t like my lifestyle, my choices, or my personality, but nobody will question my drive and work ethic, and that I can guarantee you.

What are some of the reactions people make when they see how healthy you eat, or how much bigger and fit your becoming?

In my situation, it was bulk and size. I was never extremely skinny, or big, just average, and I wasn’t content with that. About a year and a half ago I started browsing forums and became addicted. I started doing splits I found off this website, rather than unplanned workouts every week. I started eating more than three meals a day, got the right amount of calories and protein, and gained size relatively quick. You’ll always get the negative reactions when your friends see you drinking oats and almonds (an idea I got from someone on the message board), but that’s to be expected. Honestly, who wants to eat grilled chicken when everyone going out for Wendy’s? I’m not saying I don’t ever cheat, but there are sacrifices that I’m willing to make if it helps me achieve my goals. I think that when people know you are eating and working out correctly, they are more likely to comment your results, which only adds fire to your dedication. No quote or slogan will make me workout harder than a friend asking did my shirt shrink, or have my arms gotten bigger. Self-esteem is the motivation behind every weightlifter. Ask how many pros on the IFBB if they feel insecure about overall physique. You know it can’t be true, or they wouldn’t be out there. All winners have to have a confident mindset, just as bodybuilders do to be successful.

This is by far the easiest question to answer. Every girl loves a muscular guy. If they say they don’t, their lying. Girls want to feel protected, and it’s hard to do it if walking from your car to the front door requires a rest break. At my lunch table the other day, a female friend of mine said “Have you been taking something? Your arms look A LOT bigger!” Any guy that says they don’t enjoy that is straight up lying. I think it’s safe to say that female attention is at least in the top 3 reasons for 99% of bodybuilders everywhere, and why shouldn’t it be? Like anything else, you worked hard and you earned what you have, you should want to be praised for your efforts. Nothing is more satisfying than taking your shirt off during the summer after working like a madman during the winter. It’s when all your long term goals pay off, and all your work actually gets seen (especially by the females).

BONUS: Have You Lost Friends By Taking Up Bodybuilding? Have You Gained Friends?

I have easily gained more friends. I think its part of bodybuilding to make friendships and strengthen previous ones. My lifting partner (my best friend also) and I have done nothing but become closer during my time of bodybuilding. When your around others doing what you’ve based your life around, and their doing the same, it’s only natural that you form bonds. You start talking bodybuilding, and before you know it you’re watching games on the weekends.

Thanks for the opportunity and your time in reading this….

--Hunter

No offense meant to anyone.. but there is something on my mind..

Quite a few of the entries this week are people who either just created their accounts, or have virtually NO post count. While I don't doubt that you may all be fitness enthusiasts and understand and appreciate the question this week, it irks me that you can have a post count of 1 and still hope to win this thing.

*shrug* Just had to get that off my chest.

Good luck to all.

Josh

HBY18202 is just really nice. (+1000) HBY18202 is just really nice. (+1000) HBY18202 is just really nice. (+1000) HBY18202 is just really nice. (+1000) HBY18202 is just really nice. (+1000) HBY18202 is just really nice. (+1000) HBY18202 is just really nice. (+1000) HBY18202 is just really nice. (+1000) HBY18202 is just really nice. (+1000) HBY18202 is just really nice. (+1000) HBY18202 is just really nice. (+1000)

Quite a few of the entries this week are people who either just created their accounts, or have virtually NO post count. While I don't doubt that you may all be fitness enthusiasts and understand and appreciate the question this week, it irks me that you can have a post count of 1 and still hope to win this thing.

Good luck to all.

Josh
    I completely see what your saying, but you have to realize, just because some havn't been a member of this forum for a year, doesn't mean they don't know bodybuilding and weren't a member of other forums. In my case, I browsed the boards for month's before making an account. It wouldn't be hard for anyone to get 500 post. I could have that by tomorrow if post count helped you win contest. But I average around 1 post per day, and there normally full post about products I've tried or am going to.

I understand you concern, but you also have to realize that not eveyone is in the same boat as you.

Originally Posted by HBY18202
    I completely see what your saying, but you have to realize, just because some havn't been a member of this forum for a year, doesn't mean they don't know bodybuilding and weren't a member of other forums. In my case, I browsed the boards for month's before making an account. It wouldn't be hard for anyone to get 500 post. I could have that by tomorrow if post count helped you win contest. But I average around 1 post per day, and there normally full post about products I've tried or am going to.

I understand you concern, but you also have to realize that not eveyone is in the same boat as you.
    Oh no I totally know what you mean bro, and I concur completely. I belong to several other bodybuilding forums where my count is actually a LOT lower than here. I'm not judging them based solely on that, but more of a combination of quality of article and post count. If that makes any sense?

If you post a quality article I don't care if you have 1 or 100000000 posts... if not, suddenly the post count seems to matter a bit more.

Josh

Oh no I totally know what you mean bro, and I concur completely. I belong to several other bodybuilding forums where my count is actually a LOT lower than here. I'm not judging them based solely on that, but more of a combination of quality of article and post count. If that makes any sense?

If you post a quality article I don't care if you have 1 or 100000000 posts... if not, suddenly the post count seems to matter a bit more.

Josh
    My fault, I guess I just misunderstood.

I'm not worried, I'm sure the person who wrote the best will win, it always seems to work that way.

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by webmaster

Once you begin working out and dieting your complete lifestyle changes. You begin eating healthy foods, sleeping longer hours, putting time aside to workout, etc. Not only that, but your physical appearance also begins to change. You become bigger, stronger, more fit, etc. Sometimes these changes have an effect on the way people view you.

As with any niche sport, there are not many people that are well-educated about bodybuilding so you will find that there are a very wide range of attitudes. Some of the more extreme negative attitudes you will encounter include people who believe the majority of bodybuilders are extremely vain & narcissistic, or that the majority of them are drug users or homosexuals. Many people have positives attitudes as well. I've encountered people who have told me how much they admire the dedication it takes to eat right and train hard. You also have the people that when you tell them you are a bodybuilder they say "so you're one of those guys who poses in a thong?"
    When I was younger they used to bother me quite a bit because I was insecure and I cared so much more about what other people thought about me and what I did. Now I could really care less. I love bodybuilding and it makes me feel good about myself and nothing anyone says will make me feel any different. If people compliment me, I graciously accept, if they say something negative, I try to chaulk it up to their ignorance and I try to educate them as respectfully as I can.
    The comments run the gammit just like people's attitude and the comments usually reflect the people's attitudes towards bodybuilding. You'll have positive comments such as "you look great" or "I admire what you do so much" to "you are really inspiring" and those can really make you feel great. You'll also have comments such as "are you taking steroids?" "What is going to happen to all that muscle when you get older... doesn't it just get flabby?" Once again, one has to accept the positives graciously, and respectfully educate the ignorant.

I only care about one woman's opinion, my fiance Isabel. She loves bodybuilding and everything that comes with it. She is my number one fan and my number one supporter. Men typically ask questions about what type of training protocol I use, the diet strategy I employ, and what supplements I use.
    I have gained many, many friends from bodybuilding and many of them I met through the bodybuilding.com forums! I can honestly say I've never lost any true friends because of bodybuilding, in fact most of my friends that I had before I started bodybuilding respect me more now than before because of my long-term dedication to the sport.

-Layne
    Last edited by str8flexed; 03-22-2006 at 01:05 AM.

Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    WEEK SIXTY-EIGHT :: What Are The Attitudes Towards Bodybuilding In The Outside World?

Once you begin working out and dieting your complete lifestyle changes. You begin eating healthy foods, sleeping longer hours, putting time aside to workout, etc. Not only that, but your physical appearance also begins to change. You become bigger, stronger, more fit, etc. Sometimes these changes have an effect on the way people view you. In this article I will discuss some of those common attitudes the outside hold about our sport, how they affected me personally, as well as balancing bodybuilding and socializing. Please read on.

Everyone holds stereotypes; it’s part of human nature. Bodybuilding is no different; so many uneducated people carry around misconceptions about the bodybuilding lifestyle, and the people who do it.

Getting straight off the bat, one of those attitudes is that “all bodybuilders are self-obsessed with the way they look”. If you take your time to speak to a bodybuilder, you will be surprisingly informed that the main motivation behind weight training is rarely for aesthetical appeal. There are so many reasons to use weights other than vanity; to begin with, the endorphin rush alone is enough.

Then there are those who are interested in bettering their health, those who are looking for a self-confidence boost, or those who do it for functional reasons such as sport.

I must admit, before I began bodybuilding I too carried around stupid stereotypes. One I remember was that all “all bodybuilders are macho”. You can’t really judge someone’s inside by the way they look on the outside. Then there are those think, “all bodybuilders are roid junkies”, “all bodybuilders are gay”, or “all bodybuilders have an inferiority complex”.

During my time in the weight room, and my time following Professional bodybuilding, I have grown to realize that people who life weights are far different than the way they are perceived, being just as down to earth, if not more so, than you’re average person. The main problem lies when people judge before they know.

Another common attitude in the outside world is that bodybuilders are brainless; that all they have to show for is muscular body, and that they use that as their protection for any intelligence they may lack on the inside. This myth is as stupid as they come; there is simply no correlation between the amount of muscle you have, and your IQ.

The most common attitude I have witnessed personally is that I take my bodybuilding too seriously. People have mentioned “that’s all you do”, especially my parents.

Although its time consuming, I think exerting my effort in something like fitness and health is so much more productive than spending it in front of a Nintendo. There so many other destructive things I could be choosing to do with my life and money, but I choose to spend it wisely.

It’s not common for someone to tell me that I’m obsessed, but I’d just say straight back to them, what is obsession? And are some obsessions good? I have my own theory that obsession is only a bad thing when you let yourself stress over what you do. I on other hand really enjoy my life, and would feel 100 percent OK if something came up and I happened to miss a meal, or if for some reason I couldn’t make it to the gym.

“So, what’s the point of it all?”… when you feel this good, have a strong social life and feel very happy in general, I don’t see why people aren’t making the change to exercising and leading a healthy lifestyle.

It’s easy to let these attitudes get to you, but I’ve learned to put them aside. But they can create a complex that you’re this guy who doesn’t go out, and doesn’t have time for anything, or that all you care about is your body.

I acknowledge that these are just stereotypes. If you don’t believe in them, there’s no reason to get upset. I have no anger at people who do hold any stereotypes though. Its not there fault; they are simply un-educated. Bodybuilding is largely in the closet, and the only thing people know are the stereotypes people choose to create.

When discussing topics like health with friends, some people say “Why don’t you just drink and eat what you want, f**k your health, when you die, you die”. As a result lot of bodybuilders think what they do is strange and live off the image other people create. You should create you own image of what you do, and live by that.

These things don’t bother me because I’m the one is constantly filled with life-force, I’m the one who is able to concentrate in class while the others are falling asleep, I’m the one who dominates football matches with my strength and I’m the one who gets all the hot looking girls.

Other people do their own things, and I just happen to be really involved with weight training, with no regrets whatsoever.

Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

The bodybuilding lifestyle involves doing things that the average person is completely unfamiliar with. Our bodybuilding lifestyle is very time-consuming and involves behavior that is very extreme to many.

We eat foods like oats and tuna, we lift metal for hours and take strange things in little bottles. How does someone find a meaning too all of this? A lot of the time, they don’t, so they choose make their own.

I always take fish to uni with wholegrain bread, a lot of the time not having enough time to make sandwiches. I also bring mixed nuts and some fruit, among other unusual food. Although people don’t say anything out of common courtesy, judging by the stares I get, you can tell that a lot of people find it unusual.

Having said this though, there are more guys who compliment me on how big I am than those who shed light on what I do. Countless times, I have been told things such as, ‘you’re massive’, and ‘how do you get so big’. At only 205lbs, I don’t see myself as being that big, but to these guys I am like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

There are a few who don’t like the look, but the majority of people just aspire to look like this themselves. There is no doubt that everyone wants to look good, but not everyone has what it takes to get there. I think there is a lot of hidden respect for what I do.

Dominating a sporting event is the best feeling. Sporting achieving is something almost everyone wants, and how developed you are with sport can largely define you socially, so when people see you succeed in sport and athletics, it’s a great feeling.

There is no doubt women prefer an aesthetically pleasing physique on a male. I don’t want to sound arrogant, but woman definitely respond more compared to when I wasn’t built.

If a girl stares at you from a distance, or takes looks at you from the corner of their eye, it gives you a healthy ego. A lot of girls are shy about things like asking you to flex your muscles or to reveal your abs, but its great feeling when a girl does ask.

Of course if all you offer is a great body, then a woman might enjoy looking at you, but she won’t like you. But if you have the personality to go with the physique, then you will have her wrapped around your little finger.

This is one major downfall to taking up a bodybuilding lifestyle. The amount of time it takes up means you have to be willing to sacrifice some things. Of course, this doesn’t mean completely giving up on your social life, but it does mean regulating the amount of time you spend out, and ensuring you get enough sleep.

The first year when I started lifting weights, I completely disregarded my social life. I went from being the most socially active guy in my class the year before hand, to hardly ever going out, just focusing everything on training. I think most beginners have this sort of mind-state where they haven’t yet relaxed their beliefs, but being too strict will not get any further than if you also allowed yourself to have some fun too.

Gradually I began to realize that if I went out a few times a week it really didn’t matter. In fact, socializing is very productive, and a natural part of a healthy life. I was still growing at the same rate I was previously, and it gave my life more balance.

It wasn’t so much that I had more friends before I started, but that I spent more times with the ones I had. In fact, I would have to say I have more friends now than I did before I started. I find if I go out somewhere now, making friends is a lot easier. I have found a lot of people are coming up to me, and I don’t have to make as much effort going up to other people. People have a certain attraction to a fit body. Although its probably not a good thing that people subconsciously judge you by the way you look, it does happen.

When it comes to making friends, self-confidence is vital. The gym has given me a lot of self-confidence, which has made socializing a more pleasurable experience.

Overall, although I probably spend less time socializing, I end up enjoying the time I do spend more. Many philosophers have said that moderation is the key to a happy life, so if you’re able to find that right balance between training, and socializing, I think everything will be OK.

Everyone wants to have a good body, but not everyone is willing to do what it takes to get there. If you’re a bodybuilder, be thankful that you do have what it takes, and are able to experience all the amazing benefits exercise will bring.

SuicidalLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuicidalLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuicidalLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuicidalLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuicidalLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuicidalLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuicidalLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuicidalLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuicidalLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuicidalLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuicidalLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    well i have to hand it out for Sir Xamson for his statement

""I really think that most women really don't know what they want or like. They have to be told by Cosmo, a talk show or the consensious of their friends.""

totally feel you...

Originally Posted by str8flexed
    -Layne
    There goes first place :P

dnborycz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnborycz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnborycz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnborycz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnborycz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnborycz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnborycz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnborycz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Good luck to all.

Josh

I don't really care if I win. I've been lurking on these boards for a while now, but I never feel that qualified to post because so many people here know so much more than I do. But this weeks thread is about something that even those of us who haven't been lifting for that long can at least have something to say about. And thanks for the good natured reply, it's nice not to get blasted on your first post.