the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

WEEK TWENTY-FOUR :: What Is The Best Workout For Pregnant Women?

* Note: How can I win? Answer all questions in the order that they are asked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC: What Is The Best Workout For Pregnant Women?

For the week of: 03/13 - 03/19
    Sunday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Research shows that pregnant women can benefit from exercise. Although it is very important for pregnant women to consult a doctor before performing an exercise program, it is good for them to learn as much as possible and create a healthy and effective routine.

What are some of the benefits pregnant women can achieve through an exercise program?

What is the best workout for pregnant women? Be specific. Include exercises, sets, reps, rest periods, etc.

How often should pregnant women train?

Bonus Question: What kind of workout program did you follow when you were pregnant? (*Obviously, only women should answer this question.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

----------------------------------
    NEW PRIZE MONEY!!!!!
    ----------------------------------

The best response will get $75 in credit, and second place will get $50 in credit to use in our online store and will have their workout posted on our main site for the world to see!

Thanks,
    Bodybuilding.com
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    WTF?

=0l
    ďMethods are many,
    Principles are few,
    Methods often change,
    Principles never do.Ē

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/bodybuilding.html

I heard this place, I r o n M ass was a pretty good place , they got (no G&N) pervs.

Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liquid_diet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    LOL...this might take some research.

Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What is the best workout for pregant women:

It's important to follow several principles:

Lift heavy, this will ensure your baby turns out strong.

Always opt to do exercises on your stomach, such as supermans

For cardio, avoid swimming, especially diving into the water. Opt for something more safe.

Workout:

Deep "ass to grass" Squats - 15 sets, 5 reps

NOTE: bad humor, don't do the above (please)

My dads fiance is 6 months pregnant and i've helped her with her training. I'll try and construct something more relavant if i get a chance

kenzilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

healthy ladies = healthy babies

I am a NASM certified trainer and have trained a couple prenatal clients. I have one currently, in fact. much of the strategy depends on your fitness level prior to pregnancy. in most cases, if you trained before, you should be able to continue without much changing of the routine after the first trimester.

in my opinion, try to use as many bodyweight exercises as possible to avoid problems as baby-weight increases. this will help your mobility and flexibility as you progress. as the weight comes on, avoid exercises in which you are on your back due to circulation reasons.

choose exercises in which you are seated or standing without much instability. the last thing you want to do is fall and ppotentially injur yourself or the child.

once your belly size increases, you will be forced to opt for different exercises just do to mobility and decreased range of motion. but stick to it!!!

i even have my client (22 weeks along) doing cable crunches....she kicks ass!!!

you can do it too....and the weight will peel off after you give birth...

KENZILLA....(4 RILLA)

Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You know what Will and Ryan, this is so wrong on very many levels. There are many more topics then getting pregnant women to workout. Plus this really isn't safe and there is not much to do. Having a pregnant women doing cable crunches!?! My ****ing god, I am not going to even have to predict what law suits will come...
    ďMethods are many,
    Principles are few,
    Methods often change,
    Principles never do.Ē

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/bodybuilding.html

I heard this place, I r o n M ass was a pretty good place , they got (no G&N) pervs.

Registered User coaster-carl123's Avatar
    coaster-carl123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Introduction
    Weight training for pregnant women. At first glance this seems like an extremely absurd idea, right? Women eight months into their pregnancies doing box squats and heavy cleans, there has to be something wrong with that. Well duh! It should be quite obvious to anyone that heavy weight training is not only not right for pregnant women but also extremely dangerous and quite frankly, ignorant. However, women can benefit from extremely light training, just to keep themselves active.

Warning
    First and foremost, I am not a doctor and any one who is pregnant should consult their physician before doing any form of exercise, no matter how far along they are in their pregnancy.

What Are the Benefits For Pregnant Women in Exercising?
    I think the answer to this question is quite obvious. The benefits for pregnant women are the same as for everyone else- to get in shape and better themselves. Now, obviously a pregnant women isn't going to get into the same shape as a triathlete, but they can still work out to tone themselves, keep their strength up, increase energy, decrease cravings, stay limber, and be that much farther ahead once their pregnancy is over and their workout can get back to normal.

What is the Best Workout For Pregnant Women?
    I believe pregnant women can benefit greatly from a solid program. Clearly they aren't going to be doing hack squats and deads, but they can still do exercises that will strengthen themselves. Quite frankly, there is a wide variety of exercises women can do. I am going to give a sample program here but first I think I should lay out a few guide lines.

1. Never do any exercises that place any pressure on your stomach and lower back.
    2. On a scale from one to ten with ten being the most intense, try and keep your workouts at around a three, never going higher than five.
    3. Even though it this important for any one working out, pregnant women should focus tenfold on form versus weight.
    4. Again, consult your doctor before doing any exercising.

Now, here is the program:
    Monday:Chest,Tris, Shoulders
    5-10 minutes of light cardio like a stationary bike, nothing more
    DB Bench 2x10
    DB Shoulder Press 3x8
    DB Kick Backs 3x8
    DB Front Raises 2x8

Tuesday:
    5-10 minutes of light cardio

Wednesday: Legs
    Bench squats (no weight, just sit down, then stand up) 3x8
    Calve Raises (no weight, just hold on to something and do them) 3x10
    One-legged extensions 3x8

Thursday:

Friday: Bis, forearms
    DB curls 3x8
    Hammer curls 3x8
    DB forearm curls 3x12

Saturday/Sunday: Off

I would most certainly do most of these exercises without weight, just go through the motions. But, you can also buy some of those light 2,3, or 5 pound dumbbells. Also don't be afraid to buy a stress ball and squeeze it whenever.

How Often Should Pregnant Women Train

I would say a pregnant women should follow this program, in accordance with advice from their physician, up until probably the beginning of the eighth month of their pregnancy, unless their doctor says otherwise. If any problems accure doing the pregnancy, stop working out immediately and call a doctor. I believe following a reasonable program, talking to a doctor, and using your head, a pregnant can keep herself fit and be ready to get back to the gym as soon as possible.

reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Squats
    You know what Will and Ryan, this is so wrong on very many levels. There are many more topics then getting pregnant women to workout. Plus this really isn't safe and there is not much to do. Having a pregnant women doing cable crunches!?! My ****ing god, I am not going to even have to predict what law suits will come...
    He has got a point. Pregnant women are extremley delicate. I think they should just stick to light cardio, & perhaps special mums to be, aerobic classes.

However, this is a really interesting topic, I cant wait to see the ansews, perhaps mums can share their experiances here.
    RIP Steve Irwin :(

RC26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

What Is The Best Workout For Pregnant Women?

Good luck to all participants in this week's contest.
    Last edited by RC26; 08-12-2006 at 02:57 PM.

-CK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

File Attached:
    Attached Files

bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000)

Always consult physician before starting any workout routine.

Working out is beneficial for everyone. When pregnant women tend to be more stressed and are in need of something to relief that stress. A womanís fitness is important since women tend to store more body fat, quicker. It is especially important when a woman is pregnant. It can change the whole perception on their pregnancy. It will be beneficial for the mind, the body and most importantly the baby. Studies have shown that more and more women are getting out while pregnant and going to gyms, parks and swimming pools to workout so they stay active and also help maximize the development of their baby to the fullest. After all what mom or dad doesnít want their child to be as healthy as possible and as developed as possible? Studies show that babies that had active mothers during pregnancies tend to get sick less often, and also had a stronger immune system. And since their parents were active the kid will also be active and that will stay although adulthood ensuring a quality life. And you that the walk in the park was just a walk?

What are some of the benefits pregnant women can achieve through an exercise program?

Stress and pregnancy go hand in hand. Women are stressed out and are also more sensitive with their emotions. This is normal and is intended by nature. By having a regular routine pregnant women will be less stressed out, and will also have something to do. Most pregnant women stay at home for a long period of time and that adds to the stress level. Not to mention the extra weight that they are carrying that is making them tired, and easily irritated. Mix some of the hormones that go in with pregnancy and you have a stressful time. Luckily, working out will help the pregnant woman by relieving stress and providing a source of well being and responsibly in those long hour afternoons.

Most pregnant women are tired all the time. After all carrying that baby around is hard work. You try strapping on a 30lb dumbbell around your waist and see how your lower back reacts. Itís hard work and most women that had kids will tell you that itís not fun. By adding a workout to their lifestyle, they will get stronger by being more active with the extra weight and also the stress will go away by refreshing them. Working out is fun and sends off stress relieving hormones to the body. That will calm you down and also help you build more strength so carrying that baby wonít be that hard.

Lastly, most pregnant women report flexibility and pain issues on certain parts of their bodies. With lower back being the most common complaint, working out can defiantly help ease the pain or take it off. By working out, the woman will provide more flexibility that will help out later on. Also it will strengthen the muscles surrounding the problem areas such as your lower back and make it easier for you. Itís no secret that most pregnant women that had a workout routine during their pregnancy are happy and have no regrets that they did it.

What is the best workout for pregnant women? Be specific. Include exercises, sets, reps, rest periods, etc.?

Since the woman is pregnant this will not be an article in which you could imagine a 280lb bodybuilder yell ĎSQUAT!!!í. Pregnancy is a delicate thing, and you canít just go off and start dead lifting or power lifting. You will have a workout routine, but it will be light and easy on the body. Rather than bulking up and getting massive, the workout routine will differ than most people in the gym. The main focus is to provide flexibility, stress relief, muscle strength and finally, fun! The following routine will give you just that. Itís for 5 days a week, but if you donít feel comfortable with 5, you can lower it to 3. After all, pregnancy itís not the best time to push your body to the max. The reps will be light and you will have somewhat of a good break in-between. The main body parts that we will focus are the lower body (legs and calves) and the upper body (neck, core, lower back).

MONDAY

Lower Body
    Body Squats 4x 25 25 25 25
    Bench Squats 4x failure
    Body Weight Calve Raises 4x failure
    Body Weight Standing Up Hamstring Curl 4x failure

TUESDAY

Light Cardio Day

WEDNESDAY

Upper Body

Neck/Head Rolls 3x failure (move neck from side to side)
    Core work for 5 minutes
    Lower Back Bends (condition the lower back w/ no weight)
    Light Dumbbell Curls 3x 20 20 20
    Light Triceps Extensions 3x 20 20 20

THURSDAY

Yoga/ Stretching 30 minutes

FRIDAY

Light Cardio Day 20 minutes

SATURDAY & SUNDAY

Rest or Swimming/ Light Activity/ Walks

How often should pregnant women train?

Pregnant women should workout around 5 days a week. Only 2-3 consisting of weights. Since their recovery time is slower, they are very delicate when it comes down to the weight room. You canít have them doing 3+ times a week in the weight room. Their muscles are tense and overworked. Testosterone in women goes down drastically when they are pregnant, and considering what they had before that itís not smart to have them lift a lot or heavy weight. Keep it simple and relaxing. You canít strain too much. The point is the gain more flexibility, maintain strength and stay active. Some women have more energy than others, but in general, energy levels go way down and Itís not smart to keep pushing even though your tired. After all your not pushing only for yourself but for the little boy/ girl in you.

Bonus Question: What kind of workout program did you follow when you were pregnant? (*Obviously, only women should answer this question.)

I am not a woman, and I have never been pregnant but I helped design a similar workout for my aunt. She had a baby boy and during her pregnancy asked me to help her out with something. I designed that workout for her and it has worked perfectly with her. Her physician took a look at it and complimented me on what I did even though I could never understand how it really feels. She followed the workout above and remained active. She told me that she wasnít pushed to the edge with it, but it wasnít an easy walk in the park either. In any way, I strongly suggest that you follow the workout above, since it has been proven to work with great results. I hope you have a successful pregnancy.

Good Luck!

Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aussie LTD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Here we go

Haha Dont include the final exercise listed under Thursday upper body resistance training workout.

I was fighting my roommate for use of my laptop, and because i priotise my life and TOTW comes 1st, I ended up getting my way. ...so he typed that.

BTW, i couldn't edit it because i would be too late
    Last edited by Aussie LTD; 03-20-2006 at 12:19 AM.

bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000) bigcalves is just really nice. (+1000)
    good luck to all!

Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

In Case You Guys Didn't See

The Winners:

1. RC26 View Profile
    2. -CK View Profile

New Prizes:
    1st place - $75 in store credit.
    2nd place - $50 in store credit.

To use your credit, e-mail Will @ will@bodybuilding.com for more info.

Cheers,
    Josh

Originally Posted by stonecoldtruth
    The Winners:

1. RC26 View Profile
    2. -CK View Profile

New Prizes:
    1st place - $75 in store credit.
    2nd place - $50 in store credit.

To use your credit, e-mail Will @ will@bodybuilding.com for more info.

Cheers,
    Josh
    thanks

kenzilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

try doing research - Pee Wee

Originally Posted by Squats

As you can see from many of the other replies, there is quite a lot that pregnant women can do. In fact , I have also been working with doctors that I use as consultants that have ALL said that the exercises I have selected are fine. As long as the woman is healthy and has had experience prior to pregnancy , they can train with light to moderate intensity. Cable crunches with limited range of motion is fine for strenghtening the core still. Any ab exercises while on the back are discouraged due to the pressure on the abdominal section and potential pressure on certain nerves.

This particular client could probably outbench you, so its all relative to the clients' background.

Mobility, flexibility and core strength are the focus....

so before you make a comment like "will and ryan" (?)....try thinking first....

(it helps)

KENZILLA...sorry to slam ya....but we always have lots of people that post threads and call themselves experts... real science is different from gym science. gym science will hurt you....real science is proven. pregnant women CAN workout....