A Country Boy Can Survive atrain11b's Avatar
    atrain11b is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atrain11b is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atrain11b is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atrain11b is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atrain11b is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atrain11b is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atrain11b is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atrain11b is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atrain11b is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atrain11b is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atrain11b is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Maximizing Pushups w/out Hindering Lifts

In the Army, currently stationed in Korea. New to bodybuilding, started back at the end of Dec. Making good progress in all lifts, but realized I am leaving out what I need to do to excel on the Army PT Test, Pushups.

Currently on a bulking phase and realized my pushups are suffering slighty(although they did improve from my previous PT Test). I am looking to encorporate them into my current routine, but kinda confused on how to maximize my results with them, and not hinder my lifts.

Would like to do them twice a week, on Chest Day, and Back Day. I plan to put them at the end of my back routine just before abs, with 3 timed sets (1min, 45sec, 30sec, etc) I would also like to do them on chest day, just not sure if I should do them before my DB bench, or after my routine just before abs like Back Day.

I feel that if I do timed sets to failure before my chest routine, I will not be able to maximize and take full advantage of the weights. But, if I did them at the end of my chest routine, I feel I will not be able to do as many pushups. I have thought to do them in between my DB Press sets. IE: DB Press, Rest, Pushup set, rest, DB Press, Rest, etc.

If there is anyone out there who has improved their pushups, and increased their lifts I would like to know how you did it.

Thanks for all the advice in advance. Also can post my current chest and back routine if that would help you visualize my workout.
    FOB Salerno Afghanistan ABC:
    htttp://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=29815

You want to know the secret? The secret to geting huge? Bro, there are no ****in secrets. -House-

endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i'm certainly not the expert on pushups, but i'd say do them at the end of your chest workout. the fact that you'll already be fatigued and can't do as many could work to your advantage when you do them on your second pushup day, as you'll be fresh (assuming you do them first that day).

but i'm curious, why put them on back day?

also, my dad was in the army and then the reserves, and stationed in korea for a few years. much love and respect for the military.....
    consistency is king.

atrain11b is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atrain11b is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atrain11b is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atrain11b is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atrain11b is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atrain11b is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atrain11b is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atrain11b is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atrain11b is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atrain11b is a jewel in the rough. (+500) atrain11b is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by endogenous View Post

but i'm curious, why put them on back day?
    The reason for back is simply due to my current split, and ample recovery time. My current split is:

Day1: Chest/Tris
    Day2: Legs
    Day3: Shoulders/Traps/Forearms
    Day4: Back/Bis
    Day5: Rest
    Day6: Rest
    Day7: Repet starting at Day1

So if I do them on chest day I have 48 hours before doing them on back day with another 48 hours before hitting them again on chest day. Giving ample time to recover w/o total burnout. Recovery is my only reasoning behind this.

PS. Complete respect for your dad.

You want to know the secret? The secret to geting huge? Bro, there are no ****in secrets. -House-

endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i'd say it's a good strategy. i'm not sure if your other lifts will suffer or not, but i think you'll get your pushup numbers higher.

do you also have to run a lot to prepare for the PT tests? how does your leg training hold up to this?

i'd say since you're on a bulk, this should hopefully help keep your strength.
    consistency is king.

i'd say it's a good strategy. i'm not sure if your other lifts will suffer or not, but i think you'll get your pushup numbers higher.

do you also have to run a lot to prepare for the PT tests? how does your leg training hold up to this?

i'd say since you're on a bulk, this should hopefully help keep your strength.
    My legs do suffer in size, and overall weight I can put on the bar. But I am slowly making progress in this department. I drink 40g of whey w/water before my runs.

On leg day I do 6 sets of squats, with nothing but barbell leg excersices, this seems to be working for me since I am slowly developing that tear-drop shape we all look for. But yeah, I think I could make faster progress if I didnt have to run so damn much.

The Army does make it hard to bulk, and I am new to actually trying to define my self, but I can tell I am making those begginer gains, and know it only gets harder. Hopefully if I get to a good size, it will be easier to stay cut with the Army PT program which makes no one a stud, takes hard work after PT.
    Last edited by atrain11b; 02-08-2008 at 05:20 AM.

as you've said, you're making progress, and that's all that matters.

also, since you're 25, you've got plenty of time to put on size, even though it's more difficult to do since you're in the army.

anyway, good luck and God bless, bro!
    consistency is king.

Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    How many pushups can you do? I'm assuming a decent amount, which means they arent going to be very stressful on the body and should have little to no impact on your recovery. If you want to do them 2 days a week I would do them on day 2 because this will increase blood flow to the muscles you worked on chest day and may actually help recovery and then on day 4 or 5.

I think an even better plan would be to do a less stressfull push up routine 4-5 days a week. Each session can be less taxing on your body meaning it won't effect your weight training and more freaquent exposer = more practive = more pushups. Search for information on "Grease the groove"
    "Leave the pump in the bedroom and add some damn weight to the bar" - Dave Tate

"Train for strength, eat to grow and you will get bigger and stronger" - Someone bigger and stronger then me

nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

You can make steady gains with pushups just by doing them all the not (not directly linked with the gym).

Pick a number of reps you can do easily (the key is to avoid failure during any set). Do that number several times throughout the day, then increase it every week or so based on what your new Max ability is.

Do you watch TV? During one show, just drop & push during each commercial break. Because these are endurance exercises, you can do that several times a week (or even every day - maybe just taking a break the day after you hit Chest/Triceps in the gym).

jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    i'm certainly not the expert on pushups, but i'd say do them at the end of your chest workout.
    ya, i do that occasionally a few weeks before a pt test. basically i just do a set for one minute, rest two minutes, and do one more set for a minute, and that puts me close to maxing every time.

on a side note, in a few weeks i'll have another 30 seconds for my run.
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ★cVc★ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆ Roflcopter Crew ☆☆☆☆☆
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆ PC Master Race ☆☆☆☆☆
    ☆ /\^/\^Misc Colorado Crew^/\^/\☆

jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    oh, i forgot to mention, practice doing them strictly and slowly, but also practice doing them fast, and kind of bounce up at the bottom--which is not cheating in the context of the pt test. you should be able to do about 50-60 in the first minute.
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ★cVc★ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆ Roflcopter Crew ☆☆☆☆☆
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆ PC Master Race ☆☆☆☆☆
    ☆ /\^/\^Misc Colorado Crew^/\^/\☆