Closed Thread
Page 51 of 96 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 2860
    Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ChristoffH
    DON'T CHANGE THE PROGRAM!

Jesus. This thread is so long because people keep on asking the same questions.

"Can I change this about the program?"
    "Is it good for a bulk?"
    "Is it good if I'm cutting?"
    "How do the warmups work?"
    "What weight should I start with?"
    "You mean you have to squat 3 times a week?"
    "Why is deadlift only 1 set?"
    Patience + Persistence = Progress. (Bill Starr, The Strongest Shall Survive)

My Journal = http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=871168

epsa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a friend who is beginning this program in september. He is ~200cm, ~100kg and never lifted before. His physical condition is poor as far as i know. For some strange reason he wants to do cardio 3 times a week jogging/running. I think it would be much more than he can do without affecting the lift's progress.
    What cardio would you recommend?

BCeagle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BCeagle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BCeagle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BCeagle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BCeagle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BCeagle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BCeagle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BCeagle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BCeagle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BCeagle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BCeagle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My 2 cents

This is good advice for beginners on this program, I dont care who you are....EAT MORE. I've been doing it for about 3 weeks and the more I have eaten the better my progress and I have actually woken up with hunger pains from not eating enough before bed. It is hard to over eat if you are not eating junk.

I have had great strength gains and I am sure the mass will follow but I know that is my one deficiency. As for aesthetics, my only qualm may be my rear delts so far but even without any direct arm work you can tell the difference.

layzie34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That would mean no warm up sets for deadlifts?

I'm sorry but I really don't have the time to be cycling through 50 pages of this thread.

haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by layzie34

I'm sorry but I really don't have the time to be cycling through 50 pages of this thread.
    You warm up for EVERY excercise. The 1X5 and 3X5 only pertain to the number of worksets.

mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You warm up for deadlifts. The set/rep scheme doesn't include warm ups.

That's why we spend so much time answering the same questions over and over.

evenflow will become famous soon enough. (+50) evenflow will become famous soon enough. (+50) evenflow will become famous soon enough. (+50) evenflow will become famous soon enough. (+50) evenflow will become famous soon enough. (+50) evenflow will become famous soon enough. (+50) evenflow will become famous soon enough. (+50) evenflow will become famous soon enough. (+50) evenflow will become famous soon enough. (+50) evenflow will become famous soon enough. (+50) evenflow will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I second the eating part...

When I first started I was trying to keep a clean bulk and eat perfectly around 3,000 calories a day. Then I said screw it and besides my regular diet I added some more calories (more milk, double portion of rice, etc) and started to seeing better results. Now I just eat a lot, it has gradually changed from a clean bulk to a regular bulk, and my lifts are increasing way faster. There are fat gains but its not noticable with clothes on... besides all the big guys in these forums all went through a bulk and got fat.

day 1 of ripptoe I weighted 147.

Today at month three and 3rd week I weight exactly 170 in the morning. Also dont worry about chest because for me its what people notice the most and I followed the ripptoe program exactly. im 5'11

Day one of ripptoe I was squatting 115, now i'm squating 175
    day one of ripptoe I was deadlifting 115, now im deadlifting 205
    and I will increase weight next workout btw, it felt easy last one...
    Last edited by evenflow; 08-13-2006 at 09:24 PM.
    Bulking (5'9)
    Day 1 @ 147 lbs
    ~ Month 8 @ 195 lbs
    -------------------
    Cutting (5'9)
    Day 1 @ 196 lbs
    First month @ 189 lbs

Super Duper Producer Chris Tempest's Avatar
    Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by evenflow
    I second the eating part...

When I first started I was trying to keep a clean bulk and eat perfectly around 3,000 calories a day. Then I said screw it and besides my regular diet I added some more calories (more milk, double portion of rice, etc) and started to seeing better results. Now I just eat a lot, it has gradually changed from a clean bulk to a regular bulk, and my lifts are increasing way faster. There are fat gains but its not noticable with clothes on... besides all the big guys in these forums all went through a bulk and got fat.

day 1 of ripptoe I weighted 147.

Today at month three and 3rd week I weight exactly 170 in the morning. Also dont worry about chest because for me its what people notice the most and I followed the ripptoe program exactly. im 5'11

Day one of ripptoe I was squatting 115, now i'm squating 175
    day one of ripptoe I was deadlifting 115, now im deadlifting 205
    and I will increase weight next workout btw, it felt easy last one...
    Nice to see peoples weight increasing. I can also vouch that on weeks where I've eaten more, it was a lot easier to up the weights.

Also people asking bout warmups, once you get into the program you'll be able to judge for yourself just how many sets you need for warm up without having to follow exactly what is written.

ossizen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ossizen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ossizen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ossizen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ossizen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ossizen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ossizen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ossizen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ossizen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ossizen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ossizen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I'm currently squatting 185lbs. And finally stalled at 195lb deadlifts.

I ground my way through my bench press yesterday afternoon at 135lbs.

layzie34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mjw8204
    You warm up for deadlifts. The set/rep scheme doesn't include warm ups.

That's why we spend so much time answering the same questions over and over.
    I'm sorry ok I'm sorry. Can't we just get along

nwfisher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwfisher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwfisher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwfisher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwfisher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwfisher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwfisher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ossizen

Said it several times, but just crazy how different people's bodys are. I failed at 190 (last set) on squats Friday, but I deadlift 285. Squats have been the toughest for me. Other lifts going pretty well, but I have to reset after every 10 pound gain on squats.

skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nwfisher
    Said it several times, but just crazy how different people's bodys are. I failed at 190 (last set) on squats Friday, but I deadlift 285. Squats have been the toughest for me. Other lifts going pretty well, but I have to reset after every 10 pound gain on squats.
    Damn, reseting after every 10 pound gain. That's gotta be a little tough man. Its good to see that you still are making progress. Just don't forget to EAT
    "God has landed on this enemy-occupied world in human form...The perfect surrender and humiliation was undergone by Christ: perfect because He was God, surrender and humiliation because He was man."
    -C.S. Lewis

"Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..."
    -C.S. Lewis

My WS4BB Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1131121

Adrenaline` has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i just did day 1 today, and i was out of the gym in 30 min. i really hope this works. also, i asked before but can you do this while your on a cutting diet?

jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Adrenaline`
    i just did day 1 today, and i was out of the gym in 30 min. i really hope this works. also, i asked before but can you do this while your on a cutting diet?
    Congrats on getting started. Yes, It works! It works! It works! Even while cutting! 30 minutes seems pretty quick; be sure you warm up properly so you can get the continuous gains your looking for. Good luck!
    You never know how far you can go until you've gone too far.

My Starting Strength/NHA Stack Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=859824

nwfisher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwfisher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwfisher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwfisher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwfisher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwfisher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwfisher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by skitman1080
    Damn, reseting after every 10 pound gain. That's gotta be a little tough man. Its good to see that you still are making progress. Just don't forget to EAT
    Only on squats. Actually starting this week, I'm going to do a week of box squats, see if I can improve my form and build some explosiveness out of the bottom.

Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris Tempest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ossizen

I reached 135lbs bench last Wednesday it was very very difficult and I missed the last rep on the last set.

Today I went in and failed on squat, bench and deads. Either I was having a bad day or its time to reset.

How many weeks progress have you had without reseting?

I too deadlift more than I squat. 90kg squat and 117.5kg dead. Its not so much different now but before dead was 100kg and squat was 60kg.

How much is a 15kg plate, 33lbs?

So yeah after failing today I was pretty annoyed with myself!

Originally Posted by Chris Tempest
    I reached 135lbs bench last Wednesday it was very very difficult and I missed the last rep on the last set.

Today I went in and failed on squat, bench and deads. Either I was having a bad day or its time to reset.

How many weeks progress have you had without reseting?

First few weeks I had a couple weeks in a row where I didn't have to reset anything. Now I reset something most weeks (I'm 9 weeks in and it's starting to play out for me). deads are the only thing I've only reset once and that was because I tried to make too big a jump. One failure doesn't mean you have to reset. If you're failing on the last set, you can give it a couple of workouts to try and break through before you have to fully reset.

ossizen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ossizen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ossizen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ossizen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ossizen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ossizen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ossizen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ossizen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ossizen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ossizen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ossizen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I've gone for about 3 weeks before resetting.

romo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) romo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) romo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) romo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) romo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) romo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) romo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) romo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) romo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) romo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) romo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok so when do you add weight to the bar? Nobody has really answered my question and yes i know I've asked a million times. Is it every workout or every other or what? please help me.

jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmari will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by romo
    Ok so when do you add weight to the bar? Nobody has really answered my question and yes i know I've asked a million times. Is it every workout or every other or what? please help me.
    In a nutshell: add weight at each workout, in small increments. Do this until you can't do it anymore and then reset your weights for whichever lift you stall on. By adding weight in small increments you are continuously pushing your muscles to adapt to the new, higher weights and not get stagnant from doing the same weight over and over.

romo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) romo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) romo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) romo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) romo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) romo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) romo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) romo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) romo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) romo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) romo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jimmari
    In a nutshell: add weight at each workout, in small increments. Do this until you can't do it anymore and then reset your weights for whichever lift you stall on. By adding weight in small increments you are continuously pushing your muscles to adapt to the new, higher weights and not get stagnant from doing the same weight over and over.
    Ok so I add small increments of weight every workout, now when you say I stall on a weight, you say I need to "reset" the weight, I think thats what I'm confused on. What does reseting the weight mean?

Ok so I add small increments of weight every workout, now when you say I stall on a weight, you say I need to "reset" the weight, I think thats what I'm confused on. What does reseting the weight mean?
    Let's say you can successfully lift 150 on your squats. You then add 5 lbs but can't get 3x5. To "reset" means to drop the weight by 20, 25, 30 lbs (as an example) and begin your progression from there. Squat 125 on monday, 130 on wednesday, 135 on friday, etc. The idea is to help you build up some more strength so you can blast through that sticking point.

Some guys will stay at their sticking point for a couple of sessions and are then able to get passed it. Try that, but if you're not able to than reset your weight. Hope that helps.

skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skitman1080 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It will be very hard to see any gains in your lifts while on a cutting diet. If you do not eat a lot of good food while your lifting then do not expect to gain a lot of muscle if any at all. Eating and lifting go hand in hand
    "God has landed on this enemy-occupied world in human form...The perfect surrender and humiliation was undergone by Christ: perfect because He was God, surrender and humiliation because He was man."
    -C.S. Lewis

"Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..."
    -C.S. Lewis

My WS4BB Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1131121

Yep, as the other poster said, you take weight off the bar. I got my bent over rows up to 160, but I wasn't getting full reps on the last couple, only partials. I gave it a workout or two, then I dropped back down to 135 and started adding weight again. The theory is that the next time I build up to 160 I'll be able to get them.

Adrenaline` has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    another question, can somebody explain the warm-ups to me, i dont seem to understand it from reading the article.

another question, can somebody explain the warm-ups to me, i dont seem to understand it from reading the article.
    Well ALWAYS for the first lift of the day (which is generally squats), but recommended for all lifts, you do 1 or 2 sets with less than your "working" set. Say you are trying to move from 195 to 200 on squats today. You'd do 1 X 5 with maybe 100, then maybe 1 X 3 or 1 X 5 with say 150, THEN you'd do (or try) your 3 X 5 with 200. It warms you up, and gives you some extra volume.

Is the workout in the newcomers to weights thread the same thing? I noticed it adds weighted crunches and hyperextensions. Is that ok to be doing? I am not a newcomer but have never made solid progression in the big lifts. Thanks.

First few weeks I had a couple weeks in a row where I didn't have to reset anything. Now I reset something most weeks (I'm 9 weeks in and it's starting to play out for me). deads are the only thing I've only reset once and that was because I tried to make too big a jump. One failure doesn't mean you have to reset. If you're failing on the last set, you can give it a couple of workouts to try and break through before you have to fully reset.
    Today was the first day of my 7th week and I haven't had to reset yet. Twice I have missed the last rep or two on bench and shoulder press but added weight the next workout.

I think today was just a bad day. I felt light headed and after the first set of squats my ears went dull sounding

Are you gaining body weight in relevance to your lifts going up?

Well ALWAYS for the first lift of the day (which is generally squats), but recommended for all lifts, you do 1 or 2 sets with less than your "working" set. Say you are trying to move from 195 to 200 on squats today. You'd do 1 X 5 with maybe 100, then maybe 1 X 3 or 1 X 5 with say 150, THEN you'd do (or try) your 3 X 5 with 200. It warms you up, and gives you some extra volume.
    Dont forget the 2x5 with just the bar. I find it works really well.

Closed Thread