Closed Thread
    DTRG is not very helpful. (-500) DTRG is not very helpful. (-500) DTRG is not very helpful. (-500) DTRG is not very helpful. (-500) DTRG is not very helpful. (-500) DTRG is not very helpful. (-500) DTRG is not very helpful. (-500) DTRG is not very helpful. (-500) DTRG is not very helpful. (-500) DTRG is not very helpful. (-500) DTRG is not very helpful. (-500)

Question When does loose skin start tightening up?

ive lost a good amount of fat and put on quite a bit of muscle but one problem, my loose skin makes my body look ugly. compared to my friends who have been thin all their lives, my body doesnt look good even though im probly 12-14% bf. i have an accumeasure thing and the skinfold between my bottom rib and hip bone is 13mm. idk my real bf% but i should look a lot more cut than i do now. ill attach some pics. i have more fat to lose til a 6 pack i guess but when i pull my skin/gut down i can see pretty clearly a 6pack.

but i just wanna know how long do i have to wait for this to tighten up so i can have normal cuts like a normal skinny kid. also, anyone have any idea on my bf% and/or how much more i have to lose to really see the abs/not have a jiggly gut when i run? thanks.
    Attached Images

nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Get down to 8% and hold it for a year.

Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The answers are here and thanks for the reps..
    1. Skin is incredibly elastic. Just look at what women go through during pregnancy. Skin has the ability to expand and contract to a remarkable degree.

2. Elasticity of skin tends to decrease with age. Wrinkling and loss of elasticity is partly the consequence of aging (genetic factors) and also a result of environmental factors such as oxidative stress, excessive sun exposure, and nutritional deficiency. The environmental parts you can fix, the genetics and age part, you cannot. Advice: Get moving and change the things you have control over... Be realistic and don't worry about those things you don't have control over.

3. How much your skin will return to its former tautness depends partly on age. The older you get, the more an extremely large weight loss can leave loose skin that will not return to normal

4. How long you carry extra weight has a lot to do with how much the skin will become taut after the weight loss: For example, compare a 9 month pregnancy with 9 years carrying 100 excess pounds.

5. How much weight was carried has a lot to do with how much the skin will resume a tight appearance. Your skin can only be stretched so much and be expected to "snap back" one hundred percent.

6. How fast the weight was gained also has a lot to do with how much the skin will resume a tight appearance. Your skin can only be stretched so quickly and be expected to "snap back."

7. How fast weight is lost also has a lot to do with how much the skin will tighten up. Rapid weight loss doesn't allow the skin time to slowly resume to normal. (yet another reason to lose fat slowly; 1-2 pounds per week, 3 pounds at the most if you have a lot of weight to lose, and even then, only if you are measuring body fat and you’re certain it's fat you’re losing, not lean tissue).

8. There are exceptions to all of the above; i.e, people who gained and then lost incredible amounts of weight quickly at age 50 or 60, and their skin returned 100% to normal.

9. There are many creams advertised as having the ability to restore the tightness of your skin. None work – at least not permanently and measurably – and especially if you have a lot of loose skin. Don't waste your money.

10. If you’re considering surgical skin removal, consult a physician for advice because this is not a minor operation, but keep in mind that your plastic surgeon may be making his BMW payments with your abdominoplasty money. (Surgery may be recommended in situations where it's not 100% necessary). Surgery should be left as the ABSOLUTE FINAL option in extreme cases.

11. Give your skin time. Your skin will get tighter as your body fat gets lower. I've seen and heard of many cases where the skin gradually tightened up, at least partially, after a one or two year period where the weight loss was maintained and exercise continued.

12. Know your body fat percentage before even THINKING about surgery. Loose skin is one thing, but still having body fat is another. Be honest with yourself and do that by taking your body fat measurement. This can be done with skinfold calipers or a variety of other devices (calipers might not be the best method if you have large folds of loose skin. Look into impedance analysis, underwater weighing, DEXA or Bod Pod).

Suppose for example, a man drops from 35% body fat all the way down to 20%. He should be congratulated, but I would tell him, "Don't bitch about loose skin, your body fat is still high. Press onward and keep getting leaner.”

Average body fat for men is in the mid teens (16% or so) Good body fat for men is 10-12%, and single digits is extremely lean (men shouldn’t expect to look “ripped” with 100% tight skin on the abs unless they have single digit body fat, and women low teens).

Except in extreme cases, you are very unlikely to see someone with loose skin who has very low body fat. It's quite remarkable how much your skin can tighten up and literally start to “cling” to your abdominal muscles once your body fat goes from “average” to "excellent." Someone with legitimate single digit body fat and a ton of loose skin is a rare sight.

So... the key to getting tighter skin is to lose more body fat, up to the point where your body composition rating is BETTER than average (in the “good” to “great” category, not just "okay"). Only AFTER you reach your long term body fat percentage goal should you give thought to "excess skin removal." At that point, admittedly, there are bound to be a few isolated cases where surgery is necessary if you can’t live with the amount of loose skin remaining.

However, unless you are really, really lean, it's difficult to get a clear picture of what is loose skin, what is just remaining body fat and how much further the skin will tighten up when the rest of the fat is lost.
    HuH?

bicyclobutane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bicyclobutane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bicyclobutane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bicyclobutane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bicyclobutane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bicyclobutane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bicyclobutane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bicyclobutane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bicyclobutane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bicyclobutane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Ignore any advice from nithos since he is ignorant, thanks.

nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by bicyclobutane
    Awesome, my own presonal heckler.

Not what I use to be..... StrongEnough?'s Avatar
    StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ignorance doesn't mean his advice is incorrect, or worthless. He just doesn't give it out in a teddy bear fashion.

ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    whats so bad about that post. if you read the really long post after it. It esssentially says the same thing. Nithos is alright in my book.
    Obtaining knowledge is half the battle, knowing how to apply said knowledge is the other half. Executing is the simplest part of success when you have a plan based on sensible well informed choices.

GTv8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GTv8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GTv8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GTv8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GTv8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GTv8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GTv8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GTv8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GTv8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GTv8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GTv8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It doesn't look that bad if you would just stop pulling on it and don't compare yourself to everyone else, we are all different. Your young, just keep up the good work and diet and you will be fine!!

Not what I use to be..... StrongEnough?'s Avatar
    StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by GTv8
    It doesn't look that bad if you would just stop pulling on it and don't compare yourself to everyone else, we are all different. Your young, just keep up the good work and diet and you will be fine!!

LOL... My Mom use to tell me to stop pulling on it... oh wait, we're talking about loose skin...

I agree. I pull on mine too much to stretch it to see my abs/definition. I'm sure it's not doing any good, and probably stretching it.

rwcdrums has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rwcdrums has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rwcdrums has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rwcdrums has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rwcdrums has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rwcdrums has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rwcdrums has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rwcdrums has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rwcdrums has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rwcdrums has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rwcdrums has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by StrongEnough?
    LOL... My Mom use to tell me to stop pulling on it... oh wait, we're talking about loose skin...

I agree. I pull on mine too much to stretch it to see my abs/definition. I'm sure it's not doing any good, and probably stretching it.
    lmfao!!!!
    My weightloss thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=688920

Nothing taste as good as being fit feels.

01/01/06 - 338lbs
    02/28/06 - 321lbs
    03/23/06 - 317lbs
    04/18/06 - 310lbs
    08/28/06 - 299lbs
    09/28/06 - 295lbs
    11/07/06 - 289lbs

Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by StrongEnough?

Does that actually work?

Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I am out of reps for the day or your little monkey ass would be in the red. manana
    HuH?

Mooshie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mooshie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mooshie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mooshie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mooshie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mooshie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mooshie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mooshie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mooshie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mooshie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mooshie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking Loose Skin

The way I see it loose skin isn't really worth worrying over until, like Nithos said, you've gotten down to a really low BF% and held it for awhile.

You can check out the pics in my sig and see how my skin has progressed over time. Even though it's a little loose I can still grab a whole handful of fat around my abdomen. So I've obviously got more work to do.
    Check out my transformation from a complete lardass at:

http://www.sickofbeingfat.net/profiles.aspx?mooshie

HYP3R has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HYP3R has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HYP3R has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HYP3R has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HYP3R has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HYP3R has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HYP3R has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HYP3R has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HYP3R has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HYP3R has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HYP3R has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree with Nithos. Wether its a full year I guess it just depends on the person. But given his advice I would accept that. You need to get to a low BF% and hold for at least several months and yes possibly a year. You are young and you don't look that bad bro. Just keep eating right and your skin will return to normal.
    vBulletin Message

"The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."

habitual line stepper AshyLarry's Avatar
    AshyLarry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AshyLarry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AshyLarry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AshyLarry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AshyLarry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AshyLarry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AshyLarry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AshyLarry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AshyLarry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AshyLarry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AshyLarry is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Nithos got it right for sure. But don't worry, I have 10x more loose skin than you, I guess patience is all it takes....

amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm glad that people are being honest about lose skin. It seemed that most people thought that only people who lose 100s of lbs have loose skin problems.

Chipmans post is really good, although I find that cocoa butter does help tighten up the skin slowly. I've heard others talk about moisturizers in general helping to tighten up the skin.

I've noticed from fat loss that.. when you start losing fat your skin hangs looser and rolls more so without a shirt on you actually look worse(until your skin tightens up). If you gain a little fat and it tightens up your skin, you actually look better shirtless.

Dimensionally Gifted KingOfChaos's Avatar
    KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Dude...that's really not that much loose skin. When you have a skin skirt like me, then you can complain. :P Yours will tighten, mine won't.
    http://www.alanaragon.com/
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/
    http://www.leangains.com/

garydoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Loose skin after fat loss.

Originally Posted by DTRG View Post
    ive lost a good amount of fat and put on quite a bit of muscle but one problem, my loose skin makes my body look ugly. compared to my friends who have been thin all their lives, my body doesnt look good even though im probly 12-14% bf. i have an accumeasure thing and the skinfold between my bottom rib and hip bone is 13mm. idk my real bf% but i should look a lot more cut than i do now. ill attach some pics. i have more fat to lose til a 6 pack i guess but when i pull my skin/gut down i can see pretty clearly a 6pack.

but i just wanna know how long do i have to wait for this to tighten up so i can have normal cuts like a normal skinny kid. also, anyone have any idea on my bf% and/or how much more i have to lose to really see the abs/not have a jiggly gut when i run? thanks.
    Don't worry bud, your skin will tighten down over 6-12 months. Eat the right diet stay lean after a year your skin will be very tight. Been there, got the T-shirt.

Thanks

Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    not sure I see any loose skin. of course my eyes are better at processing pictures that are turned rightside up!
    Stern Crew

Hairiest ass on the misc biggoron's Avatar
    biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    How did a 6+ year old thread get commented on?
    LEO

moore93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) moore93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) moore93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) moore93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) moore93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) moore93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) moore93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) moore93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) moore93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) moore93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) moore93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by biggoron View Post
    How did a 6+ year old thread get commented on?
    >someone searches loose skin
    >forgets they searched it and don't think about how search results can be a decade old
    >post without checking date
    >this happens

>Or just a spam bot.

>Or people who make an account just to reply to a thread they saw on google without checking date.

cunfewzed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cunfewzed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cunfewzed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cunfewzed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cunfewzed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cunfewzed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cunfewzed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cunfewzed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cunfewzed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cunfewzed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cunfewzed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by moore93 View Post
    >Or people who make an account just to reply to a thread they saw on google without checking date.
    A new acct with pic! I think it's just a newbie who didn't realize what the search feature offered up.
    *LF Chat Crew
    *Misc KneeDraggers Crew
    *Misc Photography Crew
    *Misc Running Crew
    *Spring Cutters Crew
    *Misc Beard Crew
    *Child-Bearing Hips Crew

AaronTarl10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What happens if you filled that loose skin back up with fat just so you can go back and do it right (lose the fat slowly so the skin shrinks properly) -Will that work or is it too late and I can only go forward?

Wood973 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wood973 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wood973 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wood973 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wood973 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wood973 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wood973 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wood973 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wood973 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wood973 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wood973 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Strong bump.

Stronger logic.

OliverHeldens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) OliverHeldens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) OliverHeldens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) OliverHeldens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) OliverHeldens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) OliverHeldens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) OliverHeldens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) OliverHeldens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) OliverHeldens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) OliverHeldens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) OliverHeldens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Bump. I've always been a bit overweight, but have been about 75 lbs overweight for like the last 6 years. I've lost about 45ish pounds over the last year(and gained considerable muscle over that time), and am beginning to have issues with loose skin.

If I continue to cut fat through the Summer, is there a pretty good chance that it tightens? I'm 30 years old.

djc200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Glad I found this thread, 12 years later.

Totally still relevant and great advice from everyone who's been through it. I'm trying to get lower and can still see stubborn areas around my abdomen and chest areas. I was wondering if they would eventually go away too if I stick to this daily fasting schedule. Now I know that I just need to stay disciplined and consistent for months to a year to get the level of definition that I'm seeking.

Personally, I'm at around 15% and got here from about 18% in a little over 2 weeks by doing the 20/4 IF schedule (Warrior Diet). Love the Warrior Diet, btw. I'm stronger and faster than I ever was before I started time-restricted feeding and working out fasted. Highly recommend it.