tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Need a Workout Plan for a 53 Year Old Female

Ok, so my mom wants to start working out with me at our home (doesnt want to go to the gym with me). She is 53 years old but in very good shape for her age. She works with kids who can't work so she pretty much lifts for her job. She is pretty thin except for her stomach and she really wants to lose that. She wants to get stronger also. Our home gym has a bench, squat, and preacher curl. So I need some kind of workout for her with those things available. We have an Olympic size Barbell along with a curl bar and a couple medicine balls.

So if you guys have any kind of workout plan in mind for her please let me know. Also do you think she should be taking in protein, etc?

Thank you very much, Ty

Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Stick to the basic compound movemets and start light for safety, also you should put the majority of your effort into lower body movements as a female considering the greater portion of muscle mass as compared to upper body. Squats, deadlifts, lunges etc are your friend, learn to love them (and hate them at times lol). I suggest a full body workout performed 3 days a week to begin with, so perhaps on Mon, Wed, Fr. In regards to protein, a normal balanced diet will suffice for a female involved in moderate weight training, a protein shake post workout would go a long way as a safety net.
    Last edited by Kelei; 02-03-2008 at 07:53 AM.

tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Repped! Thank you very much!!

Location: London, The ghettos of south west London, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    selector has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

hello mate

Hi, I'm a personal trainer and my 52 year old mother is a client of mine. her main goal is weight loss but she wants added strength with this, so I train her twice a week with weights.

For two weeks we did a break in programme to get her moving, 3x15:

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bench press
    Bent over rows (wide and narrow)
    Overhead press

Then I Used a 2 day split, again focusing on compound movements:

Lower Body (focusing on compound movements with hip extension and leg extension will hit glutes, hams, quads and all stabilisers), 3x12:

Squats
    Walking Lunges (weighted, and then with a med ball overhead)
    SLDL
    Step ups (weighted if required)

Upper Body (compound pressing and pulling movements):

Chins (chinning bars are cheap and you can assist her)
    Bench press
    Overhead Press
    Bent over rows (wide and narrow)
    Press ups
    Lateral raises (girls like this one )

Core (after both workouts)

plank
    side plank
    superman

These should give her a good workout, and can be done at home.

Gd luck and make sure she listens to what you say (mine doesn't)

sel

Location: London, The ghettos of south west London, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    selector has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    as for protein, Inform her about good nutrition, but particularly pre and post workout. Don't bother with shakes for now (won't do any harm); she needn't be eating like a bodybuilder. Make sure she eats some slow digesting carbs an hour before workouts, and some fast digesting carbs after workouts (gatorade would be a good example). Also make sure she doesn't do cardio before her weights. This depletes glycogen and will make her tired for lifting (mine did this once and her lifting sucked

cool

sel